Waskom’s Whitney Keeling to Tatum

Eagleborn

20 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

WASKOM, Tx (KMSS/KTAL) – East Texas high school football will look much different next season.

Waskom Head Coach Whitney Keeling is leaving the program to become the new head coach of the Tatum Eagles.

“I never dreamed that it was going to happen,” Keeling said. “Last Tuesday, I had the chance to meet with the superintendent and they offered me the position. I felt like it was a great opportunity for me to make this move at this time.”

Keeling compiled a 113-40 record during his time with the Wildcats, winning Class 3A-Division II state titles in 2014 and 2015.

“I’m excited about the opportunity Tatum has given me. Unbelievable facilities, great superintendent, great administration.”

Keeling’s first day at Tatum will be January 27th. He takes over an Eagle program that went 8-3 in 2021. His option offense will be coming with him.

““That is my offense so yes, we will be running that,” Keeling confirmed. “It’s a new chapter in my life and I’m excited to be a Tatum Eagle.”

What this tells me is that whoever wrote this reads Smoaky lol....

Gonna be interesting to see how the people of Tatum America respond to the run-based look.... I'm all for it. I've seen what it can do with athletes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Gonna be interesting to see how the people of Tatum America respond to the run-based look.... I'm all for it. I've seen what it can do with athletes.

I'm on board. Norris is gonna be a good back for the flex. We graduate basically every receiver except Redwine......who knows.....he might be a FB or RB/Wing in the Flex when Keeling sees him.

Let's Gooooo #WarEagles 

Guest Tiger03lb
7 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

How/what are the reactions of the folks at tatum taking the new offensive scheme? It'll be different seeing Tatum in that for sure.

8 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

C'mon man, you of all people know that all the local sports guys read Smoaky. Some of 'em actually post occasionally.

But they all lurk here. Every blessed one of 'em.  ;) 

55 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

People I know personally are fine with it, just want to win. I haven’t talked to anyone yet that is upset about it. 

Yeah, I don't understand the concern about the Flexbone. This ain't like college kids trying to make the jump to the pros. College recruiters look at measurables as well as on-field results.

If Tatum has a D-1 caliber passer or receiver, they'll show out at camps. And I'm pretty sure Keeling can figure out a way to get the ball in their hands enough for a three-minute highlight reel. It ain't exactly rocket surgery. 

1 hour ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

People I know personally are fine with it, just want to win. I haven’t talked to anyone yet that is upset about it. 

It would be different if you had a bum like me come in and try to run it. But running it with Kubiak calling the plays and teaching it, yall should be excited. With the talent at Tatum and the coaching of Keeling, Kubiak, and Watson, the sky is the ceiling or limit or something like what Michael Jordan said. And you don't have to train a QB how to run it. You have 2 years left with a stud running the offense. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 6:18 AM, WETSU said:

Very surprised Watson would join him with that. He’s got D1 potential but that offense is doing him no favors for his future. Best of luck to Tatum and all the coaches going. 

It does open doors to AF, Coastal Carolina, and Army. 

Guest Tiger03lb
4 hours ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

That's understandable, I'd think everyone would want to win wherever they go. Just takes some time to get everything going, hope everyone gives him that. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

That's understandable, I'd think everyone would want to win wherever they go. Just takes some time to get everything going, hope everyone gives him that. 

The biggest obstacle would be training a QB to run that offense. Fortunately the QB’s dad is supposed to be coming too with the QB so that will give us a head start on learning the new offense. 

32 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

The biggest obstacle would be training a QB to run that offense. Fortunately the QB’s dad is supposed to be coming too with the QB so that will give us a head start on learning the new offense. 

Going to be loving that "boring" offense now i bet?! Interested to see how re-alignment shakes out for us

18 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

How good is that group??

Our 8th grade was really good might even have a couple who can play varsity next year 7th grade was also fairly good. I think with Cole leaving it will open things up for the 8th grade QB a little quicker.