Waskom’s Whitney Keeling to Tatum

Eagleborn

8 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

Award for worst take on this thread. Keeling moving to run another offense that he's won two state championships with? Like he's just tired of winning with it lol. 

The offense that every service academy uses to bridge their gap in talent, isn't an offense to use when you don't have superior talent? 

I would be shocked if Keeling doesn't run the Flexbone. If a QB is coming with him that will push the offense years ahead of what it would be starting fresh. Biggest thing is kids and community have to be on board with doing something unique. Buy in to not playing the same type of game showcased on Saturdays. As long as the armchair coaches don't think they know more than a 2 time state winning coach at the first sign of trouble, Tatum can make some noise under Keeling.  

Award for dumbest poster. 

first off, unless you want to just stay at the 3a level forever, he has to adapt his offense. That offense will not work at higher levels long term. Secondly, the QB coming with him has a legitimate shot as a college level QB. He isn’t going to get there running that offense. 

Keeling didn’t leave to go to Tatum for money. Waskom was paying him plenty and would have likely matched. He left for the new challenge of getting out of the small school option shadow and establishing himself at a program that has the potential to show he’s more than just a coach who can out athlete you with a option offense at a small school level. Same thing with the QB and his father who are going with him. You don’t pass up a HC job that was supposedly offered where your son is the starting QB just to take a job running the same offense. You take it because you know your son has the chance to develop under a different system for two years while he prepares for a legitimate run at a college career. 

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

From just a football side this move doesn’t make sense to me. 

Unless you consider what I just said above. Tatum is small enough that it’s not a huge jump and they still are more athletic than most teams they have on the regular season schedule. They are good enough you can tinker with a new offense and do well there and also allow yourself to get a career stepping stone. If he does well there running a non option offense, you can have some serious opportunities moving forward. But he’s not making a huge classification  jump with this style of offense. 

Guest Tiger03lb
36 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

Award for worst take on this thread. Keeling moving to run another offense that he's won two state championships with? Like he's just tired of winning with it lol. 

The offense that every service academy uses to bridge their gap in talent, isn't an offense to use when you don't have superior talent? 

I would be shocked if Keeling doesn't run the Flexbone. If a QB is coming with him that will push the offense years ahead of what it would be starting fresh. Biggest thing is kids and community have to be on board with doing something unique. Buy in to not playing the same type of game showcased on Saturdays. As long as the armchair coaches don't think they know more than a 2 time state winning coach at the first sign of trouble, Tatum can make some noise under Keeling.  

Can't tell them Tatum folks anything, been there and done that. Lol. Glad to see them come out from that rock they been hiding under. 

7 minutes ago, WETSU said:

first off, unless you want to just stay at the 3a level forever, he has to adapt his offense. That offense will not work at higher levels long term. Secondly, the QB coming with him has a legitimate shot as a college level QB. He isn’t going to get there running that offense. 

Keeling didn’t leave to go to Tatum for money. Waskom was paying him plenty and would have likely matched. He left for the new challenge of getting out of the small school option shadow and establishing himself at a program that has the potential to show he’s more than just a coach who can put athlete you with a option offense at a small school level. Same thing with the QB and his father who are going with him. You don’t pass up a HC job that was supposedly offered where your son is the starting QB just to take a job running the same offense. You take it because you know your son has the chance to develop under a different system for two years while he prepares for a legitimate run at a college career. 

About his reasons: Why wouldn't the DC just take the job and change the offenses at a place that will still be able to out athlete most of their  competition? Why wouldn't Keeling just change up his own offense at Waskom? Noone will argue with him he's won state twice at a place lucky to have winning seasons before. It doesn't make sense. Nothing attracts colleges or job offers like winning. The QB will go to a camp throw the ball around, and on the field show quick decision making reads, athleticism and ability to win. I don't think colleges really care what system talent comes from. Keeling didn't win until he was flexbone. Tatum hasn't lit the world on fire in the spread.  You may be right but it makes no sense. 

About the system: The flexbone has tons of success at the higher levels. Tascosa, Midlothian, Centennial all run it at the 5A level. As stated before it is the "old school" offense you see ran at the collegiate to make the service academies competitive with a lack of recruiting talent. Army just this year was within 6 of Wisconsin, hung 56 on Wake Forest, and beat Mizzou. It is what made Georgia Tech relevant and as we've seen in recent years the only thing that made them competitive. The I formation just won state at 5A D1, the Slot-T just made it in 5AD2, and 3AD1 Wall is always a favorite in the Flexbone. The idea that its success stops at 3AD2 is ridiculous. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Keeling didn’t leave to go to Tatum for money. Waskom was paying him plenty and would have likely matched. He left for the new challenge of getting out of the small school option shadow and establishing himself at a program that has the potential to show he’s more than just a coach who can out athlete you with a option offense at a small school level. Same thing with the QB and his father who are going with him. You don’t pass up a HC job that was supposedly offered where your son is the starting QB just to take a job running the same offense. You take it because you know your son has the chance to develop under a different system for two years while he prepares for a legitimate run at a college career. 

Coulda been the money lol

Just now, Tiger03lb said:

Can't tell them Tatum folks anything, been there and done that. Lol. Glad to see them come out from that rock they been hiding under. 

We hired a coach......you want us to just not talk about it? Of course we are gonna comment on it.. Ain't nobody been hiding....we been watching our basketball team smash people. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

Two things.

I’ve been here. 

The conversation you quoted doesn’t involve a Tatum person. 

You're right though about been there and done that. 

Guest Tiger03lb
1 minute ago, Eagle8 said:

We hired a coach......you want us to just not talk about it? Of course we are gonna comment on it.. Ain't nobody been hiding....we been watching our basketball team smash people. 

Lol. Guess you can't take a joke tonight. Enjoy smashing those people!

4 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

About his reasons: Why wouldn't the DC just take the job and change the offenses at a place that will still be able to out athlete most of their  competition? Why wouldn't Keeling just change up his own offense at Waskom? Noone will argue with him he's won state twice at a place lucky to have winning seasons before. It doesn't make sense. Nothing attracts colleges or job offers like winning. The QB will go to a camp throw the ball around, and on the field show quick decision making reads, athleticism and ability to win. I don't think colleges really care what system talent comes from. Keeling didn't win until he was flexbone. Tatum hasn't lit the world on fire in the spread.  You may be right but it makes no sense. 

About the system: The flexbone has tons of success at the higher levels. Tascosa, Midlothian, Centennial all run it at the 5A level. As stated before it is the "old school" offense you see ran at the collegiate to make the service academies competitive with a lack of recruiting talent. Army just this year was within 6 of Wisconsin, hung 56 on Wake Forest, and beat Mizzou. It is what made Georgia Tech relevant and as we've seen in recent years the only thing that made them competitive. The I formation just won state at 5A D1, the Slot-T just made it in 5AD2, and 3AD1 Wall is always a favorite in the Flexbone. The idea that its success stops at 3AD2 is ridiculous. 

Doesn't Gibson run a version of it at PG?

Just now, Eagle8 said:

Doesn't Gibson run a version of it at PG?

PG is wing-t. They won't read anything usually. Flexbone will make reads on a majority of plays. Both fall in that "old school" offense category. Both really give DCs fits when they only have a week to prepare. 

Guest Tiger03lb
Just now, Eagleborn said:

Two things.

I’ve been here. 

The conversation you quoted doesn’t involve a Tatum person. 

You're right though about been there and done that. 

You are always here. Lol

I know that doesn't involve a Tatum person. 

Yep y'all have. Great job! 

Just now, mrclean69 said:

PG is wing-t. They won't read anything usually. Flexbone will make reads on a majority of plays. Both fall in that "old school" offense category. Both really give DCs fits when they only have a week to prepare. 

I'm aware of the differences.....hadn't watched PG in a while....coulda swore I remember them in the flex a few years back.....I stand corrected. 

Guest Tiger03lb
6 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Ehhh....ready for the playoffs. District is not so basketball oriented. 

I'm sure you guys will make a run this year.