Westlake school district faces lawsuit from parent over diversity and inclusion initiative

Monte1076

27 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Alright. So what if a student wants to be referred to by pronouns other than the standard "he/him", "she/her", but you have a student who only believes the two genders? Then what? Could a student "politely decline" to do so? And if they did, what would be the repercussions for that student? Do the beliefs of the person who believes there are only two genders get respected as well? Or, again, is there only one "correct" way of thinking that's marketed as "diversity"?

He’s not going to answer you. Party over everything. He’s been politely dodging all of your questions. Answering only parts of it

59 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Alright. So what if a student wants to be referred to by pronouns other than the standard "he/him", "she/her", but you have a student who only believes the two genders? Then what? Could a student "politely decline" to do so? And if they did, what would be the repercussions for that student? Do the beliefs of the person who believes there are only two genders get respected as well? Or, again, is there only one "correct" way of thinking that's marketed as "diversity"?

The pronoun use rarely, if ever comes up, in my experience, as not often do we refer to students in third person, truthfully. The issue can be more about students going 'you're a girl!' to those who gender identify, when it really isn't needed. Are you advocating for 'free speech' even it means causing harm to someone? 

4 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Are you advocating for 'free speech' even it means causing harm to someone? 

Compelled speech is not free speech, is it?

Free speech, by its very design, can cause harm to someone. Free speech often includes "speech we don't like".

What sort of "harm" are you talking about? If we start basing "free speech" on what's harmful, we have to define what's harmful (and who decides that? Is there a committee somewhere? Who sits on the committee? Is it on a person-by-person basis?), and then "free speech" becomes restrictive, and therefore not truly "free", doesn't it?

I've got pretty big leeway when it comes to free speech. Where's your line?

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

The pronoun use rarely, if ever comes up, in my experience, as not often do we refer to students in third person, truthfully. The issue can be more about students going 'you're a girl!' to those who gender identify, when it really isn't needed. Are you advocating for 'free speech' even it means causing harm to someone? 

What if the student IS a girl? 

So a student telling the truth should be in trouble because they hurt the feelings of a mentally confused kid? 

You cannot be serious!

15 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

What if the student IS a girl? 

So a student telling the truth should be in trouble because they hurt the feelings of a mentally confused kid? 

You cannot be serious!

Maybe I should start telling people my pronouns are "I" and "I", and demanding that they address me with some sort of royal honorific.

• LOL! 1

15 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Another lily white district, similar to Southlake Carroll, is under attack for working on promoting diversity? Shocked, I tell ya! 

What does any of this lawsuit have to do with diversity ?  It's in regards to hiring the consultant without having an open meeting and deciding to hire him behind closed doors which is illegal if the lawsuit has merit.  The article doesn't state anywhere that it's over what the consultant that was hired wanted to implement.  It also mentions nothing that was taught that the parents were is disagreement on.  That could be the underlying issue, but that's not what this lawsuit is about.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

They are mentally ill and need treatment.......and those who spout UNSCIENTIFIC nonsense like the above author need to join them.......

Exactly, because they even state that their sexuality is made up in the brain.  I have stated my theories on why people change their natural attraction to the opposite sex, and it's a learned behavior usually through terrible experiences of molestation.  Almost every homosexual, lesbian, and bi-sexual person I have known were molested, and I never even asked, they divulged it.  I believe that is why I see such a high drug use in that community, because they are still trying to deal with not only the trauma of their young lives, but they are self medicating to cope with their current lifestyle.  There are other factors as well.  Such as being trained by their parents to act as a member of the opposite sex, which brings about the trans crowd.  If kids were able to live a non sexual existence through their childhood and puberty, I believe that most would be heterosexual.  There would still be a few that would choose to be gay, but those numbers would be smaller than they are.  If God made them that way, then He would not have condemned that behavior.  I realize that 90% of psychiatrists and sexologists would disagree with me, because they believe in what they have learned from those that do accept abnormal sex as normal.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

No one is discriminating against you, if you don't believe that someone can be transgender, and no one is saying that as an educator you have to be accepting, but if you want to make an issue of it, by sharing your opinion of it to the student, THAT is crossing the line, and in my opinion, is discrimination. Teach them like any other student and mind your business is my stance on it. 

I agree with that.  They should just let them be who they think they are.  The thing about schools K-12 is they will never truly be diversified by all students.  There will always be cliques.  Those can even prevail in society.  I can say that Tyler, TX is the most cliquish town that I have ever lived in.  Houston on the other hand has been the least of the cities and towns that I have lived in.  People here are still more accepting of others, although there are a few that are outliers that still have a superiority complex, and I see it with many races here by a few of their populations.  There will never be a truly diversified student body both at low levels and at the highest, although once someone is in grad school it is expected and should be, just as it is in any workplace.  Good luck with immature children and young adults on promoting it.  

19 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Yes, yes, yes...I am advocating for free speech at all times.  Unless it is a direct call to violence against someone, speech has to remain unregulated in a free society. Once the arbiters of truth start determining what kind of speech is acceptable, they never stop.  When those in power have the ability to silence speech they deem as harmful, then they can silence anyone under that banner.  We are already seeing it.

Left wing diversity is about meeting quotas.  It isn't about diversity of thought and opinion, as we clearly see when any right leaning minority doesn't fall in with the victim narrative.  They are derided as not being a real (insert whatever minority group you want here).

The school board is required to follow appropriate procedures. They work for the people, and as such need to be transparent in their operations.

• Like 1