Jobless claims surge again, this time to 230,000

RETIREDFAN1

2 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

The "unemployment rate" isn't the true number. Some fall off the rolls after a time. Honestly, my wife hasn't worked since we were engaged. Unless you count Jury Duty two months into our marriage. And it's by our choice. Does she count as "unemployed"?

She does home school our son, though. But that's a different kind of work.

44 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

With the most covid deaths ever you think there would be tons of jobs open? How do you lose a million people and still unemploy more people? Biden surely is a wizard for accomplishing this. 

It's because there ARE a lot of job openings. And there are a number of people that aren't taking them.

What happens is this: A person goes on unemployment. So the unemployment rate goes up. After a period of time, that person "falls off the roll", and is therefore no longer counted in the unemployment number.

16 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

It's because there ARE a lot of job openings. And there are a number of people that aren't taking them.

What happens is this: A person goes on unemployment. So the unemployment rate goes up. After a period of time, that person "falls off the roll", and is therefore no longer counted in the unemployment number.

I get that. I think you missed my point.