44 minutes ago, JasperDawg said:

https://news.yahoo.com/mansfield-hires-darrell-barbay-football-192212198.html

early rumors are that Jack Alvarez is the leading candidate to take over.

Personally, I think our DC (a Jasper alum and former NFL player) Malcolm Bronson deserves a shot if he wants it.

I would think Jack would rather stay in Cuero.  Storied program with the chance to play for state titles.

7 minutes ago, coachc45 said:

I would think Jack would rather stay in Cuero.  Storied program with the chance to play for state titles.

may very well be the case. 

though he does have grandchildren in J.I.S.D along with the fact he recently had a house built out by the lake (Rayburn).

the right coach here in Jasper has the chance to play for titles as well.  the athletes to do so are always here.

1 minute ago, JasperDawg said:

though he does have grandchildren in J.I.S.D along with the fact he recently had a house built out by the lake (Rayburn).

the right coach here in Jasper has the chance to play for titles as well.  the athletes to do so are always here.

May very well happen then.  

8 hours ago, JasperDawg said:

Jasper gets quite possibly the best athletes in the state. Barbay isn’t much of a coach not being able to win there 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

I'd think Cuero is a better overall job. But if his family and lake house is there it would make sense 

alot of folks don't know he was here in Jasper on Coach Walkoviak's staff back in the 90s. (not that has any matter on things nowadays)  He left Jasper to go HC @ West Sabine for 2 years before going to Kirbyville.

so on and so forth.

Bryan Barbay was our OC for a few seasons until he retired a couple years ago. He is now on Merryville Louisiana highschool coaching staff.

Setting himself up with double retirement.  I honestly think Darrell is following his footsteps.

Unfortunately for the both of them their coaching careers come nowhere close to the LEGEND that is Curtis Barbay.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:11 PM, BuckNut said:

Jasper has better athletes than Cuero

I completely agree.  The one thing JA will bring to Jasper is a PROGRAM....something they may not have had from top to bottom in a long time IMO.  Going to be fun to watch if he comes. 

JA will lose to Carthage every year, just like Barbay. He will also eventually be run off by baseball parents who are mad because the baseball team isn't getting as much attention as they feel it should. Wash, rinse, repeat. Alverez knows this and will stay in Cuero because of it. Jasper's problem is not the coaching, it's the people on the school board. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:23 PM, BlackShirtD said:

Jasper is a sleeping giant.

I totally agree.  If you would like to know how much talent has passed through that little town, then just Google "NFL players from Jasper, Texas".  Or look at the history to track in Texas.  Of the 13 running events for which records are kept; all time, all classifications Jasper is in the top ten in FIVE different events.  Anyone that knows Jasper knows that there is talent coming through Jasper year after year.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 7:23 PM, BlackShirtD said:

Jasper is a sleeping giant.

I remember coaching against them starting in the Seventies and thereafter ... and they always had good looking kids every year.

I truly hope that all the changes made will be a good fit for both the school, the kids, the coaches, and their community fan and power base. I also desire that the changes made will be dealt with patience for those involved … change, by its own nature, can be difficult for some – especially those whose vision lies within the confines of their own personal tunnel.

In looking at most situational reality, Coach Shakespeare once wrote, “Not all that glitters is gold.”  In that vein, I hope all decisions made this spring by the parties involved will be fruitful - for someone wiser than me said “We are always one decision away from a totally different life.” And that can be good or bad. Only with time can it be revealed if the Ghosts of Seasons Past will win or lose out to the Ghosts of Seasons Future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...