Waskom —- Nationwide search?

Destry

4 hours ago, LarryBird33 said:

Waskom rushed this hire he won’t be in place until July 1st and didn’t prove anything at Brownsboro. Until the select few people on the school board are removed Waskom will have talent just as always but won’t have the coach to get them there. Pearson was so hyped up as a DC when he was with Waskom but anyone could have Ben a solid DC with Amie, Benton, the Johnson’s and others. Might as well bring Jesurun back if we were looking in the retirement pool. We should have went after the Timpson coach or Beckville and made Waskom a job people would want to come to. As long as Lloyd and others are calling shots Waskom will be mediocre 

You do know that Lloyd was on the board when they called Keeling right?

4 hours ago, LarryBird33 said:

Waskom rushed this hire he won’t be in place until July 1st and didn’t prove anything at Brownsboro. Until the select few people on the school board are removed Waskom will have talent just as always but won’t have the coach to get them there. Pearson was so hyped up as a DC when he was with Waskom but anyone could have Ben a solid DC with Amie, Benton, the Johnson’s and others. Might as well bring Jesurun back if we were looking in the retirement pool. We should have went after the Timpson coach or Beckville and made Waskom a job people would want to come to. As long as Lloyd and others are calling shots Waskom will be mediocre 

Coach Pearson, If they do hire him would be a great choice in my view, you can't judge him by Brownsboro, looking at their history nobody has had any success there outside of one or two good season here and there. Pearson came to Waskom with Keeling and Kubiak and from that day forward Waskom football changed and he was a big part of it. If they do call Greg he will be a keeper

• Like 1

One of the more interesting situations for sure. Pearson, 11-29 at Brownsboro, is brought in to keep things rolling at a program he used to be at but that will be completely different when he returns. New HC/AD (obviously), DC, OC, and HS principal. On top of that he is a retire/rehire so can’t officially start until the current school year ends. Get the popcorn ready for this one. 

7 hours ago, LarryBird33 said:

Oh Larry, Waskom will be fine! Pearson is a great coach and will earn his respect. From my understanding there are several young coaches still on staff that are able to continue with the program until July. We all know that the young men you mentioned on those SC teams were special. There is still much talent here. After those couple years many people counted Waskom out but the Cats always managed to come back. As for Lloyd, I have no issues with him. To change the SB one must be willing to run for that position/office. If you are looking for that change run next time and make the difference 

To be honest. You never know what you're gonna get til 2 to 4 years in. Waskom hired a freakin soccer coach......he went 113-40, won 2 titles and went deep in the playoffs continuously. If Pearson comes in running the same style of attack.......the kids know "run". From blocking to misdirection, to option......its instilled into them. When you consider that.....hiring a coach like Pearson actually seems smarter than most would think. 

• Like 3

I wish Pearson the best, I played during the Jesurun era. Waskom has always had athletes it just never clicked like it did with Keeling. Steve Brown, Tracey Moore, Kenneth Jackson etc. Waskom can do big things I just hope this is a good hire. And to say not to base a coach off of Brownsboro record because they’ve never done anything? Waskom hasn’t been relevant until Keeling showed up. And waterboy I can’t run for school board because my job had me move out of Waskom’s district but I sure hope those two spots that are opening up are filled with people that actually have kids in school and aren’t getting on there for their own personal agendas. What everyone better hope is that we don’t lose anymore kids than we already are and Pearson sends us some coaches that have kids who are athletes and wives that are teachers, because a lot of teachers are going to leave as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LarryBird33 said:

I wish Pearson the best, I played during the Jesurun era. Waskom has always had athletes it just never clicked like it did with Keeling. Steve Brown, Tracey Moore, Kenneth Jackson etc. Waskom can do big things I just hope this is a good hire. And to say not to base a coach off of Brownsboro record because they’ve never done anything? Waskom hasn’t been relevant until Keeling showed up. And waterboy I can’t run for school board because my job had me move out of Waskom’s district but I sure hope those two spots that are opening up are filled with people that actually have kids in school and aren’t getting on there for their own personal agendas. What everyone better hope is that we don’t lose anymore kids than we already are and Pearson sends us some coaches that have kids who are athletes and wives that are teachers, because a lot of teachers are going to leave as well.

We have been very fortunate with some of our coaching hires who's kids turn out to be very good athlete's also, Watson and Welch come to mind, all of them except Fants boy started off in JR High so we have been lucky they could also play football as well as they did. Everyone who runs for School Board has a agenda whether they think so are not, I was on the board and ran on lowing property taxes. When I got off the board property taxes where higher than they had ever been. I found being on the board has a lot of limits and personal agendas are hard to accomplish unless you have 3 more to go along with you. I am glad you wish Pearson well, I think he will do well, and there is still a nucleus of coaches left at Waskom who know the kids that will help him get in the grove. My understanding they are still going to run the bone with maybe a few wrinkles that might be different, I always knew that Keeling would leave one day I was just hoping it was after Cole graduated.....LOL

I completely agree! Cole is a special talent and Coach Watson will be missed too plus Mrs. Watson seemed to be a good principal. Welch will play o line in college. Losing the Speight’s in Waskom is as big to me as losing Keeling. I just hope no matter what the kids get the treatment they deserve. Waskom will be alright hopefully we’ll be back in the hunt again soon! I’m just ready to see these boys go to the playoffs in basketball and hopefully baseball and softball get better!

4 minutes ago, LarryBird33 said:

I completely agree! Cole is a special talent and Coach Watson will be missed too plus Mrs. Watson seemed to be a good principal. Welch will play o line in college. Losing the Speight’s in Waskom is as big to me as losing Keeling. I just hope no matter what the kids get the treatment they deserve. Waskom will be alright hopefully we’ll be back in the hunt again soon! I’m just ready to see these boys go to the playoffs in basketball and hopefully baseball and softball get better!

Yes I am going to miss the Speights also they did a lot for the community, hard worker

2 hours ago, bootleg11 said:

As long as kids can continue to come over from Shreveport, Waskom should be fine right?

I already have an eye on 3 very athletic young boys that are on their way to town. Like I said in earlier post, “ next man up’ reload. We have the talent 

27 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

The Board Meeting is over and by a vote 6-0 one board member absent The board voted Greg Pearson in as Waskom's new AD. Welcome back double deuce

IMG_0137 (3).JPG

Welcome Home Brother! 
I want to hear you hollering “State” at every practice just like old times