Waskom —- Nationwide search?

Destry

2012-2015 provided an entertaining pastime reading and commenting on this forum.  Waskom football remained competitive for the next 6 years almost getting back to the big game last year.  Hoping the next few years can bring back some of that excitement.  

If nothing else, Brownsboro revealed character.  Best wishes for success to some Godly men who are to lead Waskom athletics next year.

• Like 1

I just don't understand this hire. I get he has connections there, but his track record at Brownsboro is awful. They steadily got worse and then finish second in district as soon as he leaves? Maybe just not the right fit, but hard to believe there wasn't a current coach somewhere that applied with a better resume. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

I just don't understand this hire. I get he has connections there, but his track record at Brownsboro is awful. They steadily got worse and then finish second in district as soon as he leaves? Maybe just not the right fit, but hard to believe there wasn't a current coach somewhere that applied with a better resume. 

Somebody had to say it. 

54 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

Do they have athletes year in an year out? Got alot of golf dad's in that area probably.  Lol Pearson is a good hire for waskom. Love the enthusiastic character he brings. 

• Like 3

On 2/4/2022 at 12:58 PM, LarryBird33 said:

Waskom rushed this hire he won’t be in place until July 1st and didn’t prove anything at Brownsboro. Until the select few people on the school board are removed Waskom will have talent just as always but won’t have the coach to get them there. Pearson was so hyped up as a DC when he was with Waskom but anyone could have Ben a solid DC with Amie, Benton, the Johnson’s and others. Might as well bring Jesurun back if we were looking in the retirement pool. We should have went after the Timpson coach or Beckville and made Waskom a job people would want to come to. As long as Lloyd and others are calling shots Waskom will be mediocre 

You aren’t anything until you learn how to spell his last name right. Loyd knows more about this situation than you ever will. Don’t like it, shut your mouth and run for school board. Or if you already have, actually win. 

13 hours ago, WETSU said:

You aren’t anything until you learn how to spell his last name right. Loyd knows more about this situation than you ever will. Don’t like it, shut your mouth and run for school board. Or if you already have, actually win. 

No Loyd I pay taxes in EFISD was just a Waskom Alum that’s not worried with running for school board. I was a freshman playing special teams and some defense when Andre Spearman was robbed of a touchdown against Pewitt. I’ll always love to see Waskom win and the school board is not the only issue, it’s also community involvement like running for school board so I’ll agree with you there . Wish Pearson the Best, but really hope Goode elevates himself where he’ll be ready to take over a Waskom program or go make a name for himself as an AD/HC elsewhere. I had my chance to play under Coach J the last big run Waskom ever made before Keeling. I’ll always pull for Waskom no matter who’s at the helm, just as I stated my opinion like others I think it was a rushed hire but it’s over and done with now so let’s see what happens. I just hope it’s better than his Brownsboro record!

21 minutes ago, LarryBird33 said:

No Lloyd I pay taxes in EFISD was just a Waskom Alum that’s not worried with running for school board. You are not the only issue and just like in EF the same politic problems are going on here as well. Wish Pearson the Best, but really hope Goode elevates himself where he’ll be ready to take over a Waskom program or go make a name for himself as an AD/HC elsewhere. I had my chance to play under Coach J the last big run Waskom ever made before Keeling. I’ll always pull for Waskom no matter who’s at the helm, just as I stated my opinion like others I think it was a rushed hire but it’s over and done with now so let’s see what happens. I just hope it’s better than his Brownsboro record!

You’re not talking to who you think you’re talking to. I’m not Dane Loyd or any other member of the board. 

You’re also completely misreading this situation. What’s most likely happening is Pearson is a safe experienced hire. He will keep the same systems in place pretty much and things will go without much of a hiccup because Waskom has not been winning because they are just extremely good at the Xs and Os of the game. They have been winning because they can out-athlete 90% of the teams in this level of football. That’s not going to change. Pearson and Goode will continue to roll with the same systems and keep the status quo for a couple of years until Goode eventually takes over the position and holds it for the long run. Don’t question that it was a rushed hire. 

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

You’re not talking to who you think you’re talking to. I’m not Dane Loyd or any other member of the board. 

You’re also completely misreading this situation. What’s most likely happening is Pearson is a safe experienced hire. He will keep the same systems in place pretty much and things will go without much of a hiccup because Waskom has not been winning because they are just extremely good at the Xs and Os of the game. They have been winning because they can out-athlete 90% of the teams in this level of football. That’s not going to change. Pearson and Goode will continue to roll with the same systems and keep the status quo for a couple of years until Goode eventually takes over the position and holds it for the long run. Don’t question that it was a rushed hire. 

I’m pretty sure on a chat forum anyone is entitled to an opinion and I could really care less who I’m talking to. Only time will tell if it was a rushed decision or not. Looking from a far the Keeling situation was handled poorly but that’s a done deal as well. I think it was a rushed hire but I don’t make those decisions and it’s done now so we’ll see. Waskom has always had athletes and always will. Coaches make differences though because if they didn’t Waskom would have been in the playoffs the past 20 years because they would’ve been able to out athlete opponents. 

• Like 1