The Cult of Masked Schoolchildren: History will not look kindly on our evidence-free decision to make kids suffer most

RETIREDFAN1

I won't share it, for privacy sake, but I can tell you that our school district saw ZIP dropoff in assessments in 2021, in spite of the horrible punishment of wearing masks until the last two weeks of school. Those that stayed home and didn't get online and engage have some learning gaps, to my knowledge and insight, but they weren't wearing masks at home! :rofl:

40 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

I won't share it, for privacy sake, but I can tell you that our school district saw ZIP dropoff in assessments in 2021, in spite of the horrible punishment of wearing masks until the last two weeks of school. Those that stayed home and didn't get online and engage have some learning gaps, to my knowledge and insight, but they weren't wearing masks at home! :rofl:

It is public information.  Go ahead and share it. 

Only an idiot would support something harmful to children that does no good for public health.  At least those about you were smart enough to take the masks off of kids.  Thankful for that.

• SMH 1

6 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

You have first hand knowledge, IN A CLASSROOM, of kids not being able to gain the ability to read, because of mask wearing? 

I don't, and at first I thought it wouldn't matter.  When a teacher would read in Kindergarten to 1st grade, I always would look at the book and move my finger to each word while they read it to learn not just to read, but the pronunciation of the words.  I thought that the only children and even adults that would have a hard time understanding were those that are deaf, because they read lips.  It turns out I was wrong in my thinking.  I came across this article :  Do Masks Delay Speech and Language Development? - HealthyChildren.org .  So, while I wouldn't say it affects all children, I would say it does cause a learning issue for some.  That places them at a disadvantage to the other students.  If they used a video as Ctown pointed out then it shouldn't be an issue, but how many videos are out there like that.  Growing up, I remember Captain Kangaroo had Picture Pages, but it didn't show him reading, but reading while animation was also telling the story.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ObiOne said:

I know urban schools have more strict mask rules/brainwashing.  Your answer to a needless virtual signaling rule is having better technology to overcome these shortcomings.  We already saw how well that tech worked during virtual learning.   No wonder our education and govt is in its current condition.

Kids do need a hands on approach to learning, and some can't do that with virtual learning.  Some kids even with hands on teaching can't learn with a teacher, because the class room size may be too large, and they require a tutor.  

• Like 1

And this whole thread glosses over the fact that mask do work and kids aren’t really susceptible to the virus. 

wife second grade teacher “mask absolutely hinder the child’s ability in the classroom. From speech to reading to social behaviors.”  

guess that’s why our district never required student mask the whole scandemic. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ObiOne said:

I'm talking about teaching young kids to read and you bring up your graduate program.  Why do you defend a virtual signaling rule that his harmful to kids and does no appreciable good?  Enlighten me.

Maybe it's harmful to YOUR kid. My 9 ur old did fine virtual last year. 

5 hours ago, ctown81 said:

How did it work. Worked pretty well for me and has worked in my graduate program before the pandemic AND the k-12 online schools before the pandemic. Please enlighten us on how it didn't work. Don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but unless you were in other homes during learning, the disconnect could have just been in your home. It took an adjustment for EVERYONE, because it was new to those who haven;t done it before and at the end of the day, it made a lot of teachers a lot better at their jobs when the students were back in person.

Maybe it worked for you, but many schools were having multiple failures.  I know in Houston 42% of kids were failing one or more classes.  If one of those classes was required for graduation then they wouldn't graduate until they passed it.   Houston-area school districts report more students failing at least 1 class, continue to fall behind - ABC13 Houston 

This wasn't just a Houston problem this was across the country.  If you google it you will see multiple stories on that phenomenon.  

3 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

And this whole thread glosses over the fact that mask do work and kids aren’t really susceptible to the virus. 

wife second grade teacher “mask absolutely hinder the child’s ability in the classroom. From speech to reading to social behaviors.”  

guess that’s why our district never required student mask the whole scandemic. 

That was until the omicron variant arrived, and now children are contracting the virus.  Why do you see so many schools shutdown in the East Texas area.  Houston ISD even shut down for a few days.  They are back open again.  

1 minute ago, DaveTV1 said:

Maybe it worked for you, but many schools were having multiple failures.  I know in Houston 42% of kids were failing one or more classes.  If one of those classes was required for graduation then they wouldn't graduate until they passed it.   Houston-area school districts report more students failing at least 1 class, continue to fall behind - ABC13 Houston 

This wasn't just a Houston problem this was across the country.  If you google it you will see multiple stories on that phenomenon.  

I may have missed it since I speed read it, but I didn't see a grade level breakdown. I had plenty of students fail during the first semester. I teach hs and 80% of those who failed were just lazy kids not logging in or turning in assignments. We all know teenagers these days. 

8 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

In my two years and counting of kids being mandated masks or choosing to wear them, I have never had one express any great suffering they felt from the experience. Mild annoyance, maybe, but never like the Karens and Kevins I see on here on  the daily. 

Masked or not,  a day in a classroom with you is probably stressful enough .... :woot:

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

Maybe it's harmful to YOUR kid. My 9 ur old did fine virtual last year. 

Hopefully your 9 year old can read. You keep ignoring that I’m talking about young kids LEARNING to read. If you know anything about education you know that learning to read is the most important part in all of education.  Those that learn to read early usually excel throughout school.  Those that don’t learn early are normally always behind and struggle academically 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ObiOne said:

Hopefully your 9 year old can read. You keep ignoring that I’m talking about young kids LEARNING to read. If you know anything about education you know that learning to read is the most important part in all of education.  Those that learn to read early usually excel throughout school.  Those that don’t learn early are normally always behind and struggle academically 

ONCE AGAIN. THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO TEACH KIDS IN SCHOOL. TECHNOLOGY HAS COME ALONG WAY. JUST LIKE HOOKED ON PHONICS WORKED FOR KIDS BACK IN THE DAY, THERE ARE MANY OTHER TOOLS TO HELP KIDS LEARNED TO READ. SCHOOL HAS CHANGED ALOT OVER THE DECADES. KIDS ARE STILL LEARNING TO READ IN SCHOOL. YOU KNOW DANG WELL YOU HAVEN'T SAT IN AN ELEMENTARY CLASS IN A LONG TIME TO OBSERVE IT YOURSELF. HOPEFULLY YOU CAN SEE ALL I'M SAYING NOW. 

10 hours ago, ctown81 said:

ONCE AGAIN. THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO TEACH KIDS IN SCHOOL. TECHNOLOGY HAS COME ALONG WAY. JUST LIKE HOOKED ON PHONICS WORKED FOR KIDS BACK IN THE DAY, THERE ARE MANY OTHER TOOLS TO HELP KIDS LEARNED TO READ. SCHOOL HAS CHANGED ALOT OVER THE DECADES. KIDS ARE STILL LEARNING TO READ IN SCHOOL. YOU KNOW DANG WELL YOU HAVEN'T SAT IN AN ELEMENTARY CLASS IN A LONG TIME TO OBSERVE IT YOURSELF. HOPEFULLY YOU CAN SEE ALL I'M SAYING NOW. 

So are you for teachers and students being mandated to wear masks in school?  

15 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I would say it does cause a learning issue for some.  That places them at a disadvantage to the other students. 

When our son was much younger, he had a problem with the "th" sound at the beginning of words (like "three"). In a case like that I can absolutely see it being helpful to have the kid SEE how the sound is made.

My mother tells me that I had trouble when I was a kid with certain words that started with "L" (the example she gives is I had trouble with the word "light", I would say "ight").

So watching someone say a word can absolutely help.

3 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

When our son was much younger, he had a problem with the "th" sound at the beginning of words (like "three"). In a case like that I can absolutely see it being helpful to have the kid SEE how the sound is made.

My mother tells me that I had trouble when I was a kid with certain words that started with "L" (the example she gives is I had trouble with the word "light", I would say "ight").

So watching someone say a word can absolutely help.

Anybody who teaches kids to read/speech - pre k, K, 1st and 2nd grade teachers - knows it is very important to for kids to see the teacher's mouth movements.  Add to that the fact that masks offer little to no protection.  Add to that covid least dangerous to children.  It all adds up to another scam that leftists feel gives them some power.  Well, the charade is falling apart and these dimnuts are still trying to hold it together.  

1 minute ago, ObiOne said:

4 year olds don't even need live teachers anymore.  Just sit them in front of a tv.  Set 'em and forget 'em 🙄

The thought that somehow showing a person talking on an Elmo periodically is equivalent to a days worth of seeing those sounds in person are equal is laughable. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

The thought that somehow showing a person talking on an Elmo periodically is equivalent to a days worth of seeing those sounds in person are equal is laughable. 

And this is coming from supposed "educators" in the state of TX.  Now imagine CA and NY.