Groveton is open

StingEmALTO

6 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Agreed, Initial post acknowledged that Groveton was "great" with Rodney Thomas and later clarified that they were very good several decades ago. In the last three decades they have been mediocre. Not much, just three consecutive decades of mediocrity but they were the picture of "excellence 30-60 years ago". 

Groveton had a winning season every year of the 90’s, with two state title appearances, 1 state championship, 3 trips to the semi’s, 5 trips to the regional quarterfinals during that span. The 90’s are in your 30 year window, being that is only through 2021 currently. The answer to your question is every year of the 90’s and I believe all but 3-4 years of the 2000’s.  Since the year 2008, it’s been hit and miss. But only a fool would argue with a history of success at that place, with or without Rodney Thomas. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, DropTine said:

Since the year 2008, it’s been hit and miss. But only a fool would argue with a history of success at that place, with or without Rodney Thomas. 

I daresay most (if not all) 2A programs in East Texas would be thrilled with Groveton's level of mediocrity. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SilkyJohnson said:

So far I am hearing that we are all correct and the guy who HATES Groveton and Hull (weird combo) is alone in his opinion. 

Oh, you meant the job.......No nothing yet. 🤣

I wonder if it is because the younger hill was at hull for a while if im not mistaken mayve a vendetta

16 minutes ago, Rowebot said:

I wonder if it is because the younger hill was at hull for a while if im not mistaken mayve a vendetta

Dont "hate" any school. The correlation to Hull is that similar to Groveton, they have "rich tradition of excellence" that few can still remember (though HD is farther removed from glory). Acknowledged that DropTine indicated the success carried into the 1990s.  

The expectation now and for the past few decades is that Groveton is "mediocre" and that they will continue to be mediocre. No one associates Groveton with "excellence". 

• Stinks 1

10 hours ago, juniorkid said:

It’s been really quiet

That can be scary. A lot of times in small schools when that happens, one , two, or three board members have a guy they want to bring in and word the board meeting agenda where they can do it and nobody knows until it is over. Hopefully this doesn’t happen in this situation.

9 minutes ago, Destry said:

That can be scary. A lot of times in small schools when that happens, one , two, or three board members have a guy they want to bring in and word the board meeting agenda where they can do it and nobody knows until it is over. Hopefully this doesn’t happen in this situation.

I’ve seen it happen before. I hope they are doing their homework on the applicants. 

19 minutes ago, Destry said:

A lot of times in small schools when that happens, one , two, or three board members have a guy they want to bring in and word the board meeting agenda where they can do it and nobody knows until it is over.

Wait...  I thought this was standard. Most of the small school hires I've ever seen have been this way. 

4 hours ago, juniorkid said:

I’ve seen it happen before. I hope they are doing their homework on the applicants. 

Yea I saw it happen twice. Nobody new these people had applied. One time was a recent state champion coach- hired and flopped big time. Next one was a middle aged guy who had won state championship many years ago but was well known- did fairly well. The board “community coaches” had something to brag about to their golfing buddies because  they hired such and such as their coach.