Jump to content

Republicans Are Not Here To Help Us


BarryLaverty
 Share

Recommended Posts

Took President Biden far too long to acknowledge that, as far as I am concerned. I've know it since I first started voting in 1983. 
 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-caught-quickly-republicans-not-183049536.html

Miami Herald

Biden caught on quickly. The Republicans are not here to help — him or us | Opinion

Leonard PItts Jr.

It took Barack Obama four years to figure it out.

The 44th president was into his second term before some psychic switch seemed to click and he finally realized what had long been obvious to everyone else. Namely, that the Republican Party had zero interest in bipartisanship and, for that matter, no priority larger than demonizing him and frustrating his agenda. Not that Obama ever made a big deal out of it, but as more than one observer noted, he spent less time in his last four years seeking Republican buy-in.

Who could blame him? How many times can one reach out an open hand and draw back a bloody stump?

  •  

By that standard, it might be argued that President Biden is a fast learner. He’s figured out in one year what took Obama four. Still, his announcement of same in his marathon news conference was hardly gratifying. “I did not anticipate,” he told reporters, “that there’d be such a stalwart effort to make sure that the most important thing was that President Biden didn’t get anything done. Think about this: What are Republicans for? What are they for?”

He did not “anticipate” it? Seriously? He didn’t know this was coming? Where has Joe Biden been the last decade and a half? What has he seen that made him think Republicans had the slightest interest in statesmanship?

As to what they stand for, that’s simple. They stand for ending access to abortion. They stand for unfettered access to guns. And they stand for exploiting whatever random flotsam of the so-called culture war — from critical race theory to COVID masks to the “War on Christmas” to an old book by Dr. Seuss — can be inflated into an existential threat to stampede their easily stampede-able base to the polls. And that’s about it.


One seldom hears Republican leaders argue for policy prescriptions anymore or engage in substantive debate on substantive topics. But they fall all over themselves to weigh in on “critical race theory” and other subjects guaranteed to get Tucker Carlson’s audience all het up.

Note that the GOP didn’t bother to write a platform for the last presidential election and has announced plans to skip debates for the next. Why bother? The party is no longer a party, but a fascist, white-nationalist cult less interested in crafting policy than in amassing power for its own sake and by any means necessary. Its canine submission to that two-legged embarrassment, Donald Trump, and its minimizing an act of violent sedition, prove this irrefutably.

Make no mistake, one is happy to see Biden call them out, something he’s been doing more frequently. One hopes he continues to channel his inner Harry Truman (“Give ’em hell, Harry!” became the unofficial slogan of his 1948 presidential campaign as Truman barnstormed the country, railing against a “do-nothing” Republican Congress). This would be useful both to highlight the GOP’s moral failings and to rally his own base. Democrats could certainly use some rallying. They will be understandably dispirited after a recent Senate vote doomed — at least for now — urgently needed election reform.

That said, it is past time — by almost 15 years and counting — for Biden and other Democrats to disabuse themselves of the naive notion that the other party still has any interest in helping them govern. If democracy is to be saved, it will be done not with the Republican Party, but despite it. Failure to understand that and strategize accordingly wastes time America does not have. The GOP’s behavior should leave us feeling disappointed, yes.

But not a bit surprised. 

  • Like 1
  • LOL! 2
  • Stinks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will stay away from the social issues side of this...but when it comes to dinner table economic issues and quality of life issues it took me 30 years to finally realize that the gop will never offer anything that benefits the common people rather than the 1% and $billion corporations. From healthcare to family leave the party of family values does not give a hoot about families.

  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

Took President Biden far too long to acknowledge that, as far as I am concerned. I've know it since I first started voting in 1983. 
 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-caught-quickly-republicans-not-183049536.html

Miami Herald

Biden caught on quickly. The Republicans are not here to help — him or us | Opinion

Leonard PItts Jr.

It took Barack Obama four years to figure it out.

The 44th president was into his second term before some psychic switch seemed to click and he finally realized what had long been obvious to everyone else. Namely, that the Republican Party had zero interest in bipartisanship and, for that matter, no priority larger than demonizing him and frustrating his agenda. Not that Obama ever made a big deal out of it, but as more than one observer noted, he spent less time in his last four years seeking Republican buy-in.

Who could blame him? How many times can one reach out an open hand and draw back a bloody stump?

  •  

By that standard, it might be argued that President Biden is a fast learner. He’s figured out in one year what took Obama four. Still, his announcement of same in his marathon news conference was hardly gratifying. “I did not anticipate,” he told reporters, “that there’d be such a stalwart effort to make sure that the most important thing was that President Biden didn’t get anything done. Think about this: What are Republicans for? What are they for?”

He did not “anticipate” it? Seriously? He didn’t know this was coming? Where has Joe Biden been the last decade and a half? What has he seen that made him think Republicans had the slightest interest in statesmanship?

As to what they stand for, that’s simple. They stand for ending access to abortion. They stand for unfettered access to guns. And they stand for exploiting whatever random flotsam of the so-called culture war — from critical race theory to COVID masks to the “War on Christmas” to an old book by Dr. Seuss — can be inflated into an existential threat to stampede their easily stampede-able base to the polls. And that’s about it.


One seldom hears Republican leaders argue for policy prescriptions anymore or engage in substantive debate on substantive topics. But they fall all over themselves to weigh in on “critical race theory” and other subjects guaranteed to get Tucker Carlson’s audience all het up.

Note that the GOP didn’t bother to write a platform for the last presidential election and has announced plans to skip debates for the next. Why bother? The party is no longer a party, but a fascist, white-nationalist cult less interested in crafting policy than in amassing power for its own sake and by any means necessary. Its canine submission to that two-legged embarrassment, Donald Trump, and its minimizing an act of violent sedition, prove this irrefutably.

Make no mistake, one is happy to see Biden call them out, something he’s been doing more frequently. One hopes he continues to channel his inner Harry Truman (“Give ’em hell, Harry!” became the unofficial slogan of his 1948 presidential campaign as Truman barnstormed the country, railing against a “do-nothing” Republican Congress). This would be useful both to highlight the GOP’s moral failings and to rally his own base. Democrats could certainly use some rallying. They will be understandably dispirited after a recent Senate vote doomed — at least for now — urgently needed election reform.

That said, it is past time — by almost 15 years and counting — for Biden and other Democrats to disabuse themselves of the naive notion that the other party still has any interest in helping them govern. If democracy is to be saved, it will be done not with the Republican Party, but despite it. Failure to understand that and strategize accordingly wastes time America does not have. The GOP’s behavior should leave us feeling disappointed, yes.

But not a bit surprised. 

Oh wow, another OP-ED from the Parrot boy of the South. You're so full of :poop: your eyes are turning brown. 

Lies, More Lies, and the most lies--But what do you expect when 

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Earth to TZ Larry, earth to Larry .... the America People DO NOT SUPPORT  ....  Biden's radical AOC/Bernie Sanders socialist agenda .... 🔌s job approval rating is in the toilet in the mid 30% range and it actually dropped after his rambling pathetic lie filled 2 hour speech ...

Just this past week there was a report that dimocrats are leaving the party in droves, the independents have been long gone and have never supported 🔌s since he turned the party hard left ....

The mid term elections are going to be a blood bath for the dims .... Pelosi will be gone, hopefully Upchuck will be too ... the Republicans will control the HOR and the Senate  .... and 🔌s and 🐫 a will be lame ducks ..... :woot:

  • Thanks 1
  • Grumpy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

I will stay away from the social issues side of this...but when it comes to dinner table economic issues and quality of life issues it took me 30 years to finally realize that the gop will never offer anything that benefits the common people rather than the 1% and $billion corporations. From healthcare to family leave the party of family values does not give a hoot about families.

Commie.......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I'm thinking Larry is paid to troll us. Like seriously.

You need to get out of your silo more. There are lots and lots of people who don't see things the way you do out in the world. Last election, 81 MILLION people didn't agree with your politics. That still stings, huh? 

  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1
  • Stinks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only thing I want from the Federal Government in a form of help is to maintain a defense to protect this country and to have a stable but strong dollar.  They should stay out of my business and out of my wallet.  Everything else should be left to the States and the local Governments.  The Federal Government has grown too large compared to what it was 109 years ago.  That is why they are unable to help anyone.  Even when they have tried to help the American people they have ended up hurting us with higher costs.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I'm thinking Larry is paid to troll us. Like seriously.

That's all he can do now that his beloved dumbocrats have shown the American people what their true agenda is...seriously, trolling is far better than anything he could post about Pedo Joe so he does what he does best.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

You need to get out of your silo more. There are lots and lots of people who don't see things the way you do out in the world. Last election, 81 MILLION people didn't agree with your politics. That still stings, huh? 

FB_IMG_1642903875967.jpg

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama
  • Like 1
  • LOL! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

You need to get out of your silo more. There are lots and lots of people who don't see things the way you do out in the world. Last election, 81 MILLION people didn't agree with your politics. That still stings, huh? 

I see you have Lion I mean Jett are following you. Feel privileged :rofl:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The republicans want less people on entitlements.  The democrats want more.    There’s a problem there.  The republicans want more jobs, the democrats want less.  There’s a problem there. Democrats are the problem.  Plain and simple 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...