Getting rid of the US Dept of Education

Youngcoach123

It's unneeded.  Schools should only be run by the local Administrations and run on local taxes.  The State shouldn't have a say in what schools do either.  A good school board with a solid Administrator would have a curriculum for students to achieve their goals to attend colleges and universities or develop skills to have a trade that is hirable right out of high school.  I would like to see schools do more for vocational fields if there are enough students interested.  If the cost is too much for welding, electricians, auto mechanics, plumbing, etc. then charge a fee to the students as vocational schools do or allow for students to attend those types of schools and gain credits for graduation.  They'd have job opportunities fresh out of high school.  They would also be making more money than most students that attend liberal colleges.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

It's unneeded.  Schools should only be run by the local Administrations and run on local taxes.  The State shouldn't have a say in what schools do either.  A good school board with a solid Administrator would have a curriculum for students to achieve their goals to attend colleges and universities or develop skills to have a trade that is hirable right out of high school.  I would like to see schools do more for vocational fields if there are enough students interested.  If the cost is too much for welding, electricians, auto mechanics, plumbing, etc. then charge a fee to the students as vocational schools do or allow for students to attend those types of schools and gain credits for graduation.  They'd have job opportunities fresh out of high school.  They would also be making more money than most students that attend liberal colleges.  

Im a huge FFA backer. Your saying you want to charge country kids to learn a trade. One that can earn them up to 80,000 out of highschool but give athletics everything to bring home state title 

13 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I agree with most. As for what I highlighted, I think EVERY hs should have a vocational dept. I've been preaching this for years. Why you have to add the comment about liberal colleges though?

I do feel the state should have some power over the schools. For example, there are some schools in Tx that would put sports first and education second. Also, local taxes would put lower income areas in a huge disadvantage.

2 hours ago, osup116 said:

Im a huge FFA backer. Your saying you want to charge country kids to learn a trade. One that can earn them up to 80,000 out of highschool but give athletics everything to bring home state title 

Kids should not be charged for a vocation. If they do that, they need to charge for a general education. Would be unfair to charge them for a better future while not charging general ed who are also trying to get a better future.

I have always advocated for vocational programs in high schools. NOT every child is a college student to be. Some it takes longer to decide whether college is right for them, others, just want to start a life without school. Vocational programs are needed, even if a student wants to go to college, they can earn their degree while working, like many of us older gents did. 

While I agree that college is a right to go to, it is also a privilege you should have to PAY for, the government should in NO WAY, outside of the pell grant program, be involved in student loans, or anything else with college finances. 

9 hours ago, ctown81 said:

I agree with most. As for what I highlighted, I think EVERY hs should have a vocational dept. I've been preaching this for years. Why you have to add the comment about liberal colleges though?

I do feel the state should have some power over the schools. For example, there are some schools in Tx that would put sports first and education second. Also, local taxes would put lower income areas in a huge disadvantage.

I said liberal arts.  Many can't make any money with a liberal arts degree.  I don't know about you, but $40,000 a year is chump change.  Until 2007, I wasn't making less than $48,000 a year since 1994.  That was with no college degree, and only on the job training.  I haven't made less than $30,000 a year since 1988 just one year out of high school.  At the time Accountants fresh out of college were only making $36,000 according to ads in the  LMN, and they had student debt to pay off.   Average Liberal Arts Major Salary: By Location, Industry, and Company - Zippia .  

12 hours ago, osup116 said:

I only say that for some programs that schools might not be able to afford, because of the cost of equipment.  Most FFA work is done off campus and on their own farms.  That's the way it was in the 80's. I can't say for now, but I'm fairly sure there's not enough land for as many animals for the amount of kids in East Texas that are in FFA.  I know at Pine Tree, they had an area for gardening to produce fruit and vegetables.  I never saw any animals on campus.  I know my school doesn't have auto mechanics anymore, but we did pre-1987.  My Senior year there were 32 students in two classes just by looking at my yearbook.  There may have been more that were absent the day the photo was shot.  Welding schools also may be too expensive to have on campus.  In the end the fee's would be cheaper than attending a vocational school off campus in most cases.  

9 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Kids should not be charged for a vocation. If they do that, they need to charge for a general education. Would be unfair to charge them for a better future while not charging general ed who are also trying to get a better future.

As I stated below there would be some vocations that would cost too much for a school's budget.  A general education is still needed.  I've heard some people say that schools should teach students how to do everyday tasks such as taxes, basic repairs, how to count back change, etc. . When I was in school those electives were offered, but the class was called consumer economics, home ec, family planning and child development, and a few others.  Consumer economics was easy for me, and it counted as a math credit, but it taught me skills that I later needed that some may not have received by taking Physics, calculus, or Chemistry II that they probably didn't go into those fields later in life.  

20 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

As I stated below there would be some vocations that would cost too much for a school's budget.  A general education is still needed.  I've heard some people say that schools should teach students how to do everyday tasks such as taxes, basic repairs, how to count back change, etc. . When I was in school those electives were offered, but the class was called consumer economics, home ec, family planning and child development, and a few others.  Consumer economics was easy for me, and it counted as a math credit, but it taught me skills that I later needed that some may not have received by taking Physics, calculus, or Chemistry II that they probably didn't go into those fields later in life.  

I do think a basic "financial literacy" course might be good. And IIRC (and I could be wrong) the high school I went to offers (or at least used to offer, I don't know if they still do) an auto shop class. I do know that they do have more UIL offerings (at least as far as I know) than when I went, but I believe they also offer machine shop classes (i.e. welding and fabrication) for those who want to take them.

As many (all??) of you know, I'm in the IT industry, and I don't have a degree. I'd like to think I've done fairly well for myself over the past couple of decades. The first job in tech I got I was making $25,000 a year (that was in 1999). Then I did some contract work for a guy at what would have been the equivalent of $28,000 per year. Then got a job less than a year later at something like $35K. And I think that was in 2001, and I worked there for a couple of years. Then got a couple of jobs that paid in the $40K range, then in 2004 I got a job that paid around $45K, and worked there for around six years. I had to actually leave that job to get a small pay raise to around $48K. I worked that company for about 3 years, then moved to another company where I also got a pay raise up to the $60K range, and when I left it during a layoff, I was making in the low $70K range. Then I took a job making almost in the mid $80K range. Then a short-term job (because I needed one at the time, and the one I currently have was still kind of in limbo), and that put me over the $100K mark. Now I'm over the $115K mark. And looking to make more.

Without a college degree.

I'm not saying I'm not learning new things, because I am, but over the course of 20 years, my salary has increased 360%.

21 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

At my hs in disd, we have plenty of vocations and also have a full blown nursing pathway. Also, they offer video game software design and next year an auto mechanic career pathway. If country schools can get grants for million dollar practice facilities and scoreboards, they can get the funds for these programs. 

31 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

At my hs in disd, we have plenty of vocations and also have a full blown nursing pathway. Also, they offer video game software design and next year an auto mechanic career pathway. If country schools can get grants for million dollar practice facilities and scoreboards, they can get the funds for these programs. 

Schools don't get grants to my knowledge for practice facilities, fields, or scoreboards that money comes from bonds that the electors vote for.  I realize times have changed.  I know that many kids today can attend local Jr. colleges for both high school credits and college credits.  I like the idea of having classes for a nursing degree.  It takes on average only 2.5 years to become an LVN with an average starting salary over $50,000 a year.  I don't see why they can't complete that degree in High School, and then work towards being a RN if they desire post High School.  

Just now, DaveTV1 said:

Schools don't get grants to my knowledge for practice facilities, fields, or scoreboards that money comes from bonds that the electors vote for.  I realize times have changed.  I know that many kids today can attend local Jr. colleges for both high school credits and college credits.  I like the idea of having classes for a nursing degree.  It takes on average only 2.5 years to become an LVN with an average starting salary over $50,000 a year.  I don't see why they can't complete that degree in High School, and then work towards being a RN if they desire post High School.  

That's what I meant. Chose the wrong word.

As for completing the degree, I honestly don't know. They may actually be able to.