Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC

TrumpisDump

11 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Shocked by this.

In the eyes of Mavs fans, Does this move put him on par with Mathis?  

Not unless he actively tries to sabotage the in-coming coach after he leaves.  

Which absolutely won’t happen. 

He’s leaving the program in great shape.  Brand new facilities,  upgraded and renovated facilities.  All of them are top notch with Mav stadium still in progress.

Continued football success. Playoffs 8 of 9 seasons. He won a district title in 2019. Big playoff win in 2021.  High expectations for 2022. 

Girls sports have exploded. Especially volleyball and basketball after long playoff dormancy.

Brought in a strength and conditioning/nutrition coach. Been huge for all athletes.   Not to mention bringing home one of the top track coaches in the region. 

Still much work to be done:

Finishing Maverick Stadium has got to be a priority. 

Becoming a deep playoff football contender annually.  Not just 1-2 playoff wins. 

Growing the booster club. 

Revitalizing soccer and Cross Country  

Reinstating swimming. Girls golf. 
——————

The $ will be there for salary to bring top interest. Facilities are top notch.  Community support is (had always been) there. 

We just need someone that loves East Texas and wants to STAY and not use it as a stepping stone to a suburban program. 

I get the draw to the cities. I do. But there are also plenty of people out there that love small town living.  Just gotta find them. 

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Not unless he actively tries to sabotage the in-coming coach after he leaves.  

Which absolutely won’t happen. 

He’s leaving the program in great shape.  Brand new facilities,  upgraded and renovated facilities.  All of them are top notch with Mav stadium still in progress.

Continued football success. Playoffs 8 of 9 seasons. He won a district title in 2019. Big playoff win in 2021.  High expectations for 2022. 

Girls sports have exploded. Especially volleyball and basketball after long playoff dormancy.

Brought in a strength and conditioning/nutrition coach. Been huge for all athletes.   Not to mention bringing home one of the top track coaches in the region. 

Still much work to be done:

Finishing Maverick Stadium has got to be a priority. 

Becoming a deep playoff football contender annually.  Not just 1-2 playoff wins. 

Growing the booster club. 

Revitalizing soccer and Cross Country  

Reinstating swimming. Girls golf. 
——————

The $ will be there for salary to bring top interest. Facilities are top notch.  Community support is (had always been) there. 

We just need someone that loves East Texas and wants to STAY and not use it as a stepping stone to a suburban program. 

I get the draw to the cities. I do. But there are also plenty of people out there that love small town living.  Just gotta find them. 

See I never got the whole story what you mean sabotage? And you could make the same argument that   Mathis left the program in good shape. 

I know some Mav fans won’t be sad to see him go. 

2 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

See I never got the whole story what you mean sabotage? And you could make the same argument that   Mathis left the program in good shape. 

He inherited a program that had just appeared in a region semis.  So he was handed a program in great shape. 

He won some big games on the field.   But he lost some too on ego alone imho. (Poteet 2017, Huntsville 2018). 

• Love 2

Jake Griedl has been selected as Bastrop High School’s new athletic coordinator and head football coach. He is set to begin his new role February 1.

“It’s clear to me that district leaders and Coach Eliot Allen are committed to success for all programs,” said Griedl. “You can tell the district as a whole is moving forward at full speed, generating a lot of excitement. My wife and I are thrilled to be part of a team that is building a championship culture. It's time to wake up the Bear!"

Griedl comes to Bastrop from the Marshall Independent School District, where he has been athletic director and head football coach at Marshall High School since 2019. For two years prior, he was offensive coordinator for the same school. During his first three years as head football coach, Griedl’s team racked up 20 wins. Under his leadership, girls volleyball had their best season in school history in 2021 following a 2020 playoff appearance. Girls track relays also advanced to regionals in both 2020 and 2021. In that same time, Griedl was named District Coach of the Year (2019), Dave Campbell’s Texas High School Top 40 Under 40 Coaches (2019, 2020), and the American Football Coaches Association 35 Under 35 (2021).

Griedl began his career at the collegiate level coaching wide receivers and returners at Southern Arkansas University (2011-12) in Magnolia, Arkansas before returning to Texas. He taught geography and coached wide receivers at Boerne High School (2012-13), then spent four years at Lake Travis High School (2013-16) where he coached varsity wide receivers. His coaching career includes winning eight district championships in ten seasons, coaching in three state semi-finals and two 6A state championships. In 2016, his team won the UIL 6A Division 1 State Championship.

“I am so excited to welcome Coach Griedl to the Bastrop High School family,” said principal Krystal Gabriel. “He has a track record of success and experience with other programs, as well as a passion for helping student athletes become leaders and learners, which is what we want all Bears to be! With our talented students and staff, I am confident we will move our athletics program in the right direction.”

Jake Griedl is a 2007 graduate of Concordia Lutheran High School in Tomball, Texas. He continued his athletic career at Concordia University in Seward Nebraska and graduated in 2012 with a bachelor of arts degree in history. In addition to postgraduate studies at Southern Arkansas University, Griedl is also the founder of First Down Ministries and is a member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Texas High School Coaches Association, and the American Football Coaches Association. He and wife Garland, who is a registered nurse, have one son Griff and are expecting a daughter in March.

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Jake Griedl has been selected as Bastrop High School’s new athletic coordinator and head football coach. He is set to begin his new role February 1.

“It’s clear to me that district leaders and Coach Eliot Allen are committed to success for all programs,” said Griedl. “You can tell the district as a whole is moving forward at full speed, generating a lot of excitement. My wife and I are thrilled to be part of a team that is building a championship culture. It's time to wake up the Bear!"

Griedl comes to Bastrop from the Marshall Independent School District, where he has been athletic director and head football coach at Marshall High School since 2019. For two years prior, he was offensive coordinator for the same school. During his first three years as head football coach, Griedl’s team racked up 20 wins. Under his leadership, girls volleyball had their best season in school history in 2021 following a 2020 playoff appearance. Girls track relays also advanced to regionals in both 2020 and 2021. In that same time, Griedl was named District Coach of the Year (2019), Dave Campbell’s Texas High School Top 40 Under 40 Coaches (2019, 2020), and the American Football Coaches Association 35 Under 35 (2021).

Griedl began his career at the collegiate level coaching wide receivers and returners at Southern Arkansas University (2011-12) in Magnolia, Arkansas before returning to Texas. He taught geography and coached wide receivers at Boerne High School (2012-13), then spent four years at Lake Travis High School (2013-16) where he coached varsity wide receivers. His coaching career includes winning eight district championships in ten seasons, coaching in three state semi-finals and two 6A state championships. In 2016, his team won the UIL 6A Division 1 State Championship.

“I am so excited to welcome Coach Griedl to the Bastrop High School family,” said principal Krystal Gabriel. “He has a track record of success and experience with other programs, as well as a passion for helping student athletes become leaders and learners, which is what we want all Bears to be! With our talented students and staff, I am confident we will move our athletics program in the right direction.”

Jake Griedl is a 2007 graduate of Concordia Lutheran High School in Tomball, Texas. He continued his athletic career at Concordia University in Seward Nebraska and graduated in 2012 with a bachelor of arts degree in history. In addition to postgraduate studies at Southern Arkansas University, Griedl is also the founder of First Down Ministries and is a member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Texas High School Coaches Association, and the American Football Coaches Association. He and wife Garland, who is a registered nurse, have one son Griff and are expecting a daughter in March.

Hate to see him go.  Hope the Mavs get a solid replacement.  Hope we don't see a big regression...

• Mavchamp changed the title to Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC