Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC

TrumpisDump

Most schools in East TX are stepping stone schools. Whether you want to believe it or not. Everybody is not going to have what Longview,  Carthage, or Lufkin has( even though they are losing at this moment. A long tenure coach. That's just the nature of the business. East Texas is so behind in many ways. No one is willing to stay long term. Get some experience and get out is the name of the game. Tyler High has a long tenure coach but he's from here. That's the only reason he is still here. 

28 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

Hate to see him go.  Hope the Mavs get a solid replacement.  Hope we don't see a big regression...

I’m not expecting it.  History says it likely won’t happen. 

Every coach we’ve had since 2003 has won a district championship, all had at least one trip to the region semis, all had winning records… except one (Alex Richters 2011/2012).  Only missed the playoffs 4 times since 2004. 

Im not naive enough to think it CANT happen.   We fell off a cliff in 2011.  It’s not impossible. 

But we’re in a different situation now.  The program is being left in really great shape.  Lots of talent returning from an area finalist.  Facilities across the board are either completed and four star or still in progress.  

Salary of 120K puts us slightly above par for most 5A Div II schools. 

It all points to a good formula for the future.  But hiring the right guy is always a gamble. A bad hire can take you years to climb out of.  2011/12 is a vivid memory for most of Mav Nation.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Every coach we’ve had since 2003 has won a district championship, all had at least one trip to the region semis, all had winning records… except one (Alex Richters 2011/2012).  Only missed the playoffs 4 times since 2004. 

Im not naive enough to think it CANT happen.   We fell off a cliff in 2011.  It’s not impossible. 

But we’re in a different situation now.  The program is being left in really great shape.  Lots of talent returning from an area finalist.  Facilities across the board are either completed and four star or still in progress.  

It all points to a good formula for the future.  But hiring the right guy is always a gamble. A bad hire can take you years to climb out of.  2011/12 is a vivid memory for most of Mav Nation.  

That’s more then the Nac AD

13 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

See I never got the whole story what you mean sabotage? And you could make the same argument that   Mathis left the program in good shape. 

I know some Mav fans won’t be sad to see him go. 

I have the same questions and thoughts as you about the sabotage and I also thought he left the program in good shape.. 

From the outside looking in, are you really shocked that Mathis would leave Marshall to go back to DeSoto, especially after everything DeSoto was doing made it clear they wanted him back.   

But  I can't see this as a good move. Marshall pays well and its is a better football program.  I guess living near Austin was the attraction.

7 hours ago, PelvisPresley said:

problem is Louisiana football (sports) is so hit & miss...same as Arkansas. a top team in those states can not a provide true battle (tests) for good Texas teams.

not true.  Calvary,Neville, West Monroe, John Curtis, are good every year. And Byrd isn't a bad program. A Byrd/Longview series would be a solid series.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I have the same questions and thoughts as you about the sabotage and I also thought he left the program in good shape.. 

From the outside looking in, are you really shocked that Mathis would leave Marshall to go back to DeSoto, especially after everything DeSoto was doing made it clear they wanted him back.   

But  I can't see this as a good move. Marshall pays well and its is a better football program.  I guess living near Austin was the attraction.

I had no problem with him leaving to return to DeSoto.  We all knew it was likely. Even if it was sooner than we thought.  Remember…. DeSoto fired a coach that just won them a state championship to bring him back. 

I didn’t sour on him until after he was gone with his antics with our players and our staff. Sabotage is absolutely the correct word.

Anyway.  Back on track.  I have no desire to rehash all that. 

And yes…. I do think this is a step down for G. But being near family is a priority when grandchildren are involved. #2 will be here in March. 

He’s leaving well. Abd I wish him the best. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VonG said:

Most schools in East TX are stepping stone schools. Whether you want to believe it or not. Everybody is not going to have what Longview,  Carthage, or Lufkin has( even though they are losing at this moment. A long tenure coach. That's just the nature of the business. East Texas is so behind in many ways. No one is willing to stay long term. Get some experience and get out is the name of the game. Tyler High has a long tenure coach but he's from here. That's the only reason he is still here. 

yep.  We watch Coach Rush leave a JT team that was basically a lock to make it to state if he returned as head coach.  They were a 4th down stop from going with a rookie coach and almost a new staff in place. 

Outside of Tyler, East Texas growth is a stagnant and Tyler doesn't have anything close to what's in the metro areas.  These young coaches and their families want to be near the big cities.   That's why some of these elite teams need to start appreciating their coaches a little more. It's no coincidence that most of the top teams over this way have long tenure coaches.  I would be naming the school after Surratt and King tomorrow...LOL.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

I had no problem with him leaving to return to DeSoto.  We all knew it was likely. Even if it was sooner than we thought.  Remember…. DeSoto fired a coach that just won them a state championship to bring him back. 

I didn’t sour on him until after he was gone with his antics with our players and our staff. Sabotage is absolutely the correct word.

Anyway.  Back on track.  I have no desire to rehash all that. 

And yes…. I do think this is a step down for G. But being near family is a priority when grandchildren are involved. #2 will be here in March. 

He’s leaving well. Abd I wish him the best. 

Well...ok.  

Marshall is a good paying job with good talent, and they should be able to compete well in 5a Div2.  Hopefully they can find a coach who wants to stay. I look over the border and find a Louisiana Coach.  It would be a huge bump in pay and they are clsoe to the state. Most of the LA guys seem to like East Texas and remain there for a long time.

30 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

yep.  We watch Coach Rush leave a JT team that was basically a lock to make it to state if he returned as head coach.  They were a 4th down stop from going with a rookie coach and almost a new staff in place. 

Outside of Tyler, East Texas growth is a stagnant and Tyler doesn't have anything close to what's in the metro areas.  These young coaches and their families want to be near the big cities.   That's why some of these elite teams need to start appreciating their coaches a little more. It's no coincidence that most of the top teams over this way have long tenure coaches.  I would be naming the school after Surratt and King tomorrow...LOL.

Tyler has alot compared to other cities it's size.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, VonG said:

Tyler has alot compared to other cities it's size.

True, but coaches are still in and out of the Tyler area, even when they got great situations and good pay.  Seems like the all want to be in the big city.  Make Scott Surratt staying at Carthage even more impressive (although he is probably top 5 in pay for all Texas High Schools)

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

True, but coaches are still in and out of the Tyler area, even when they got great situations and good pay.  Seems like the all want to be in the big city.  Make Scott Surratt staying at Carthage even more impressive (although he is probably top 5 in pay for all Texas High Schools)

Everyone wants a 1 horse town. We already know about the Tyler situation. I can't blame folks for wanting to be in the bigger cities. Especially when it comes to life outside of the school settings. East Texas as a whole can't offer that except for maybe fishing and hunting. 

• Like 1

Any guesses on who you think may run for the job? My money is someone from ETX and not the metroplex. Metroplex guys come here to boost a resume and leave. Wish they would get someone who is from here and not run away after a few "successful" seasons. Gotta build a culture and stay in the for the long haul. Think about Longview...they've had pretty much the same nucleus since the Pat Collins days and hired King from within. Kilgore had Mike Vallery for 10+ years and hired within (later down the road) and got a few state runs. Carthage has Surratt who has no desire to leave and is from here. John Tyler has Holmes who has pulled in some successful seasons and is from here. If you want a program to be successful in ETX you gotta find someone who will stay for the long haul and more than likely is from the area or wants to finish in this area. But what do I know... I just sit on the porch and watch cars pass by everyday with a cold one lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TrumpisDump said:

Any guesses on who you think may run for the job? My money is someone from ETX and not the metroplex. Metroplex guys come here to boost a resume and leave. Wish they would get someone who is from here and not run away after a few "successful" seasons. Gotta build a culture and stay in the for the long haul. Think about Longview...they've had pretty much the same nucleus since the Pat Collins days and hired King from within. Kilgore had Mike Vallery for 10+ years and hired within (later down the road) and got a few state runs. Carthage has Surratt who has no desire to leave and is from here. John Tyler has Holmes who has pulled in some successful seasons and is from here. If you want a program to be successful in ETX you gotta find someone who will stay for the long haul and more than likely is from the area or wants to finish in this area. But what do I know... I just sit on the porch and watch cars pass by everyday with a cold one lol

sounds like a pretty good life......is it bad I'd take a cold one right now at 8:27am?

• LOL! 1

16 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I think the best hire is already on campus. Lot to be said for familiarity with the kids and continuity of the program.

It's waayyyy too early for speculation...but I think the school board will move quickly.  They want spring ball and 7 on 7 this summer I'm sure.

I've heard a few names.....but it's nothing more than hearsay this early.

A current staff member has come up in circles.

A former Mav coach has come up

A current coach at another ETX program has come up a few times.

I'm sure there will be a large number of applications.  Always is.  We seem to be stuck on this coaching carousel right now.  Averaging about 3 years a pop.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

I think the best hire is already on campus. Lot to be said for familiarity with the kids and continuity of the program.

It's true.  Sometimes it works great.....sometimes if blows up in your face. 

Griedl was the OC....and he has been great in-house hire.

We did the same in 2011..... hired the OC (who was very successful....we made it to the region semis in 2009)..... we hit a program low in his two seasons going (3-17).

------- 

My question for the current staff is this:  how many of them are here for the long haul.  Not just 3-4 years and off they go to Austin/Dallas/Houston.  We solve nothing if they have no ties or intentions of staying.

Find someone rooted here.  Maybe later in their years (experience) and less wanderlust. 

Just a thought though. 

46 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

It's true.  Sometimes it works great.....sometimes if blows up in your face. 

Griedl was the OC....and he has been great in-house hire.

We did the same in 2011..... hired the OC (who was very successful....we made it to the region semis in 2009)..... we hit a program low in his two seasons going (3-17).

------- 

My question for the current staff is this:  how many of them are here for the long haul.  Not just 3-4 years and off they go to Austin/Dallas/Houston.  We solve nothing if they have no ties or intentions of staying.

Find someone rooted here.  Maybe later in their years (experience) and less wanderlust. 

Just a thought though. 

I think if you hire the guy I'm thinking of, then you will get exactly what you are asking for.

I could be wrong, but I think he is a long-term, until retirement kind of hire.

He has the experience, the leadership capabilities and the knowledge to take the Program to the next level and beyond.

And, I don't think he's looking at Marshall as a stepping stone job.

2 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

I think if you hire the guy I'm thinking of, then you will get exactly what you are asking for.

I could be wrong, but I think he is a long-term, until retirement kind of hire.

He has the experience, the leadership capabilities and the knowledge to take the Program to the next level and beyond.

And, I don't think he's looking at Marshall as a stepping stone job.

I think I know who you are talking about.

I hope he applies.  He deserves a fair chance.  

• Like 1

• Mavchamp changed the title to Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC