Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC

TrumpisDump

On 1/24/2022 at 12:49 AM, Mavchamp said:

Not unless he actively tries to sabotage the in-coming coach after he leaves.  

Which absolutely won’t happen. 

He’s leaving the program in great shape.  Brand new facilities,  upgraded and renovated facilities.  All of them are top notch with Mav stadium still in progress.

Continued football success. Playoffs 8 of 9 seasons. He won a district title in 2019. Big playoff win in 2021.  High expectations for 2022. 

Girls sports have exploded. Especially volleyball and basketball after long playoff dormancy.

Brought in a strength and conditioning/nutrition coach. Been huge for all athletes.   Not to mention bringing home one of the top track coaches in the region. 

Still much work to be done:

Finishing Maverick Stadium has got to be a priority. 

Becoming a deep playoff football contender annually.  Not just 1-2 playoff wins. 

Growing the booster club. 

Revitalizing soccer and Cross Country  

Reinstating swimming. Girls golf. 
——————

The $ will be there for salary to bring top interest. Facilities are top notch.  Community support is (had always been) there. 

We just need someone that loves East Texas and wants to STAY and not use it as a stepping stone to a suburban program. 

I get the draw to the cities. I do. But there are also plenty of people out there that love small town living.  Just gotta find them. 

I would be living large with that salary in ETX.  That salary here in Aledo, I would live comfortably…  Bastrop loves football, but they will be searching again before you know it

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 8:56 PM, JTFAN99 said:

Well...ok.  

Marshall is a good paying job with good talent, and they should be able to compete well in 5a Div2.  Hopefully they can find a coach who wants to stay. I look over the border and find a Louisiana Coach.  It would be a huge bump in pay and they are clsoe to the state. Most of the LA guys seem to like East Texas and remain there for a long time.

We’ve done that before… it was a terrible idea

3 hours ago, MattStepp said:

My guess is he was looking at facilities to possibly give ideas to his community on similar upgrades...

yep...  When Marshall renno'ed the FH about 12 years ago or so for the weight room and training room, I had athletic directors from all over the state coming to visit me to just looking around my training room and take pictures etc.  

6 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

You might be right Matt, but I've heard the job is his if he wants it. Lots of respect for him at the administration level.

Not according to anything I’ve heard.  But I’ve been wrong before.  

This is going to move very quickly.

Have a feeling this is all but done.   We shall see. 

On 1/24/2022 at 12:49 AM, Mavchamp said:

Not unless he actively tries to sabotage the in-coming coach after he leaves.  

Which absolutely won’t happen. 

He’s leaving the program in great shape.  Brand new facilities,  upgraded and renovated facilities.  All of them are top notch with Mav stadium still in progress.

Continued football success. Playoffs 8 of 9 seasons. He won a district title in 2019. Big playoff win in 2021.  High expectations for 2022. 

Girls sports have exploded. Especially volleyball and basketball after long playoff dormancy.

Brought in a strength and conditioning/nutrition coach. Been huge for all athletes.   Not to mention bringing home one of the top track coaches in the region. 

Still much work to be done:

Finishing Maverick Stadium has got to be a priority. 

Becoming a deep playoff football contender annually.  Not just 1-2 playoff wins. 

Growing the booster club. 

Revitalizing soccer and Cross Country  

Reinstating swimming. Girls golf. 
——————

The $ will be there for salary to bring top interest. Facilities are top notch.  Community support is (had always been) there. 

We just need someone that loves East Texas and wants to STAY and not use it as a stepping stone to a suburban program. 

I get the draw to the cities. I do. But there are also plenty of people out there that love small town living.  Just gotta find them. 

Good luck, hope Marshall can get someone good. I liked Greidl. Great facilities, athletes, support of town…. 

On 1/25/2022 at 8:15 AM, TrumpisDump said:

Any guesses on who you think may run for the job? My money is someone from ETX and not the metroplex. Metroplex guys come here to boost a resume and leave. Wish they would get someone who is from here and not run away after a few "successful" seasons. Gotta build a culture and stay in the for the long haul. Think about Longview...they've had pretty much the same nucleus since the Pat Collins days and hired King from within. Kilgore had Mike Vallery for 10+ years and hired within (later down the road) and got a few state runs. Carthage has Surratt who has no desire to leave and is from here. John Tyler has Holmes who has pulled in some successful seasons and is from here. If you want a program to be successful in ETX you gotta find someone who will stay for the long haul and more than likely is from the area or wants to finish in this area. But what do I know... I just sit on the porch and watch cars pass by everyday with a cold one lol

We had Danny Long for 12 years in JAX. 

I looked on the district website just a little bit ago.  It lists the salary range from $82k-$118k.  Seems a little on the low end to me... I wonder if that is up for negotiations and/or if it might turn some potential candidates away.  $118k is nothing to laugh at but wasn't Griedl making $120k?

1 hour ago, ontheinside said:

I looked on the district website just a little bit ago.  It lists the salary range from $82k-$118k.  Seems a little on the low end to me... I wonder if that is up for negotiations and/or if it might turn some potential candidates away.  $118k is nothing to laugh at but wasn't Griedl making $120k?

$118K plus stipends/bonuses from what I understand. 

1 hour ago, SilkyJohnson said:

Because those guys are WAY cheaper. 

27 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

TruDAT

Offering $118K plus stipends doesn’t sound like we’re trying to go cheap. That could easily add up to 125-130K. 

$130K is a pretty comfortable living in East Texas no matter what your chosen profession is. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

You telling  the truth !!

Somebody is crazy to think that 130 in etx isn't comfortable.. My opinion is to get someone who isn't going to leave in 2 years for now. That was my argument earlier in the posts. Cheap coaching isn't good either especially for a district that has the money.. try buying your ribeyes from walmart versus a meat market and let me know what that taste like lol

• Mavchamp changed the title to Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC