Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC

TrumpisDump

Longevity has GOT to be a priority in the interview process.

BUT..... let's be realistic..... there is NOTHING that can guarantee it.

That's not the current state of coaching.

The long-term situations we see at Longview, Lufkin, and Tyler are almost unicorns these days. 

And if we were completely honest..... 2 of those fanbases are mostly unhappy with their current staff.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Longevity has GOT to be a priority in the interview process.

BUT..... let's be realistic..... there is NOTHING that can guarantee it.

That's not the current state of coaching.

The long-term situations we see at Longview, Lufkin, and Tyler are almost unicorns these days. 

And if we were completely honest..... 2 of those fanbases are mostly unhappy with their current staff.

That goes both ways. I’ve seen plenty of communities run off guys who would have stayed for awhile with unrealistic expectations. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

That goes both ways. I’ve seen plenty of communities run off guys who would have stayed for awhile with unrealistic expectations. 

Absolutely.  Several in our district are guilty of that IMHO. 

13 hours ago, Matt said:

Thinking anyone will stay for any length of time is unrealistic. Coaches, pastors, superintendents…. It’s life in the 21st century. 

STRAIGHT FACTS! People are thinking about career opportunities and advancement. If a school district can find a good,  long-term coach or workers, TREAT them well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EasyRider said:

Do you think Marshall would do what others have done and split AD from HC. I think Kilgore and Henderson did that. 

It’s a fair question.  But IMHO it’ doubtful  because we currently already have an assistant AD that handles all the Ladies’ sports. 

34 minutes ago, EasyRider said:

Do you think Marshall would do what others have done and split AD from HC. I think Kilgore and Henderson did that. 

Marshall tried that once.  They ended up with a complete ####### and bad Head Football coach.  I don’t see them doing that again

• Like 1

The best companies/programs in the world promote from within. Mathis was loved by some and hated by others. Marshall promoted within and grew. Greidl and the staff there knew the ins and outs to get the things done they needed too.., now promote within again and let that guy grow it more since he knows ins and outs too. 

big name chasing in Marshall is a waste and never worked there. No big name came in and did great…they became big names after marshall or because of marshall. Give it to the guy who already knows and can build on the momentum already there. Greidl never had Ath dir experience and did more than previous 40 years with all sports..can you imagine if they didn’t promote within do to experience then? Promote from within. My 2 cents. Momentum in place. Kids love him already.. why waste time with an outsider?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rocketpop said:

The best companies/programs in the world promote from within. Mathis was loved by some and hated by others. Marshall promoted within and grew. Greidl and the staff there knew the ins and outs to get the things done they needed too.., now promote within again and let that guy grow it more since he knows ins and outs too. 

big name chasing in Marshall is a waste and never worked there. No big name came in and did great…they became big names after marshall or because of marshall. Give it to the guy who already knows and can build on the momentum already there. Greidl never had Ath dir experience and did more than previous 40 years with all sports..can you imagine if they didn’t promote within do to experience then? Promote from within. My 2 cents. Momentum in place. Kids love him already.. why waste time with an outsider?

I'm not opposed to hiring within....but it's always a gamble.  There are so many factors that go into things being successful.  Don't do it because it's the "easy way".  We gotta think long term...not just short term (transition).  But we definitely have to make longevity a topic of conversation.   

But not necessarily a given to stay within.....

We hired within back in 2011 and gave the job the OC and it blew up in our face. He was young and charismatic.... and clearly not ready.  (3-17) in his two seasons... the worst two year span in program history.  Almost killed the program completely.  Took us years to climb out of that hole. 

I don't think people are big name chasing.  I think people are naming folks that WANT to be in East Texas....or have already been here a long time.  

As I've said before in this thread...it's the current state of coaching (and all professions) these days.  We all do what's best for our family based on money, location, and boosting one's worth.

We've hired within and they left after winning (B Harper, Harris, Griedl)
We've hired hometown guys and they left after winning (C Harper)
We've hired big names and they left after winning (Parker, Mathis)

We've only had one losing coach in the last 40 years.... and that was Richters in 11 and 12.

I'll be interested to see who applies..... within and outside.  Whoever gets it will come into a program in great shape with facilities, great pay, and lots of talent coming back for 2022 from a playoff team in 2021.   

Just a matter of getting the right recipe together and make it cook.

19 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I'm not opposed to hiring within....but it's always a gamble.  There are so many factors that go into things being successful.  Don't do it because it's the "easy way".  We gotta think long term...not just short term (transition).  But we definitely have to make longevity a topic of conversation.   

But not necessarily a given to stay within.....

We hired within back in 2011 and gave the job the OC and it blew up in our face. He was young and charismatic.... and clearly not ready.  (3-17) in his two seasons... the worst two year span in program history.  Almost killed the program completely.  Took us years to climb out of that hole. 

I don't think people are big name chasing.  I think people are naming folks that WANT to be in East Texas....or have already been here a long time.  

As I've said before in this thread...it's the current state of coaching (and all professions) these days.  We all do what's best for our family based on money, location, and boosting one's worth.

We've hired within and they left after winning (B Harper, Harris, Griedl)
We've hired hometown guys and they left after winning (C Harper)
We've hired big names and they left after winning (Parker, Mathis)

We've only had one losing coach in the last 40 years.... and that was Richters in 11 and 12.

I'll be interested to see who applies..... within and outside.  Whoever gets it will come into a program in great shape with facilities, great pay, and lots of talent coming back for 2022 from a playoff team in 2021.   

Just a matter of getting the right recipe together and make it cook.

Easy place to win, but a hard place to coach.

Any outsider that does there due diligence will realize this.

Marshall is not for just anybody and definitely not for the faint at heart.

Better be tougher than a two-dollar steak.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 4:05 PM, rocketpop said:

You know your opening paragraph completely contradicts with your opening line in paragraph 2…

10 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Easy place to win, but a hard place to coach.

Any outsider that does there due diligence will realize this.

Marshall is not for just anybody and definitely not for the faint at heart.

Better be tougher than a two-dollar

• Mavchamp changed the title to Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC