Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC

TrumpisDump

Update:  

I just wanted to reach out to all of you and provide a quick update on the search for a new Coach/AD. 

First off, we all appreciate Coach Griedl and everything that he has accomplished while being in Marshall. We are thankful for all of the effort he gave towards making our program better.   

Anytime there is a coaching change, it brings about uncertainty.  We are committed to hiring the best person to not only coach our football team but to lead our entire athletic program.

The job was posted last Wednesday and has to be posted for 10 days according to state law.

Applications will be taken through this Friday.

Interviews will start the middle of next week and will continue into the first part of the following week. That will be done by a group of administrators and two board members.

After that is completed, the list will be narrowed down to the top 2 or 3 candidates.

Those candidates will interview again in a one on one setting with the Superintendent.

Finally, Dr. Langley will then make a recommendation to the board. That should happen during the week of February 21st-25th which is three weeks from now. 

Our job opening is getting lots of interest and people are excited about the possibilities of what can be accomplished here.

I would encourage everyone to pray over this process and to pray specifically that we find the best person for Marshall ISD.

Thanks for all of your support and for being involved in our athletic program. You are all very much appreciated.

Go Mavs!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BuckNut said:

He is a good coach and would do very well, not surprised he would want to take a head job.

I would agree...Griedl started something that can be built on in Marshall.  I really think he has returned Marshall to the Harper days in regards to the community.  If a solid coach can come in and continue to build on that, the sky is the limit.  I think this is a great opportunity given that Waskom lost their coach.  

19 minutes ago, TrumpisDump said:

I like the way their district looks now.. it'll be one of the toughest in ETX for sure. I could see Marshall pulling out a 2nd seed..

Marshall has finished lower than second place  only once since 2015… and that was in 2020.

4 district titles since 2015…. 2 runner ups. Missed the playoffs once.  Two region semis appearances in that time…two area appearances since 2014.  3 first round exits (one with Harper, one with Mathis, one with Griedl). 

18 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall has finished lower than second place  only once since 2015… and that was in 2020.

4 district titles since 2015…. 2 runner ups. Missed the playoffs once.  Two region semis appearances in that time…two area appearances since 2014.  3 first round exits (one with Harper, one with Mathis, one with Griedl). 

T-High and marshall will be district championship game for sure.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:55 PM, Mavchamp said:

AJ is well-loved and respected in Marshall.  No doubt about it.

AJ was one of my favorite people at Marshall.  He graduated before I worked there in 2012, but he would always come back to visit with me.  Well spoken, and extremely smart and athletic.  I would love to see him leading young men to be more like him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, txk85 said:

how would marshall fans feel about running the option wing T whatever that is?

Personally.......I think that offense would struggle to win consistently in the playoffs at the 5A level.

IMHO......

A coach adapts his offensive system to the talent he has on the field.  He's not married to a single system.  He doesn't impose a system on the program.  IMHO......it's just lazy to not change your schemes and systems to fit the talent you have.

If  you have the talent to run the wing T.....do it.
If you have the talent to run the air raid.....do it.
If you have the talent to run the veer....do it.
If you have the talent to run the Zone play.....do it.

But to say.... THUS SAY ME....we are a _____ offense.... THE END...... 

It's bad coaching.  And it's likely to lead to a lot of losing for a coach that isn't flexible.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Personally.......I think that offense would struggle to win consistently in the playoffs at the 5A level.

IMHO......

A coach adapts his offensive system to the talent he has on the field.  He's not married to a single system.  He doesn't impose a system on the program.  IMHO......it's just lazy to not change your schemes and systems to fit the talent you have.

If  you have the talent to run the wing T.....do it.
If you have the talent to run the air raid.....do it.
If you have the talent to run the veer....do it.
If you have the talent to run the Zone play.....do it.

But to say.... THUS SAY ME....we are a _____ offense.... THE END...... 

It's bad coaching.  And it's likely to lead to a lot of losing for a coach that isn't flexible.

Not if they ran it like Liberty Hill. IMO, if someone mastered it like LH in East Texas, they could dominate. Keeps the ball away from the offense. No one else runs it so how do you practice against it? Scout teams (JV) can’t simulate it. If you watched the state championship game—and LH’s history— that offense has been quite successful. Smacked Gilmer down in the 2008 (?) state championship game. Those who can run it would be hard to stop.

The problem? Getting kids in East Texas who want to do it. Tough offense to do day in, day out out in practice. Kids like to throw it around, not play smash mouth. You would lose kids, I think. So it isn’t the offense, it’s getting kids to want to do it. It’s like asking basketball kids in East Texas to slow it down, stall, set up plays Hoosiers style, etc…. Ain’t gonna happen. 

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not if they ran it like Liberty Hill. IMO, if someone mastered it like LH in East Texas, they could dominate. Keeps the ball away from the offense. No one else runs it so how do you practice against it? Scout teams (JV) can’t simulate it. If you watched the state championship game—and LH’s history— that offense has been quite successful. Smacked Gilmer down in the 2008 (?) state championship game. Those who can run it would be hard to stop.

The problem? Getting kids in East Texas who want to do it. Tough offense to do day in, day out out in practice. Kids like to throw it around, not play smash mouth. You would lose kids, I think. So it isn’t the offense, it’s getting kids to want to do it. It’s like asking basketball kids in East Texas to slow it down, stall, set up plays Hoosiers style, etc…. Ain’t gonna happen. 

I want to see LH have sustained success with that offense at the 5A level before I’d want to say it’s not gimmicky. 

The problem when you’re truly one dimensional is being crippled if someone comes along and shuts you down. 

As successful as John Tyler’s Wing-T was with Allen Wilson in the 90s…. It only only won one title. 

Lake Highland’s wishbone never won a title.  But lots of deep runs. 

Lewisville won a title in the 90s I think with the power option.  But that was it. 

Hard to win state…. And harder to win consistently with one dimensional offenses IMHO. 

What seems to win state consistently?   Balance. Pass AND run. Run AND pass.   SLC.  Katy.  Aledo. 

Completely agree with you that  kids would be slow to embrace it.   Hard offense to run.  Hard on the body for sure.  

• Thanks 1

• Mavchamp changed the title to Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC