Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC

TrumpisDump

42 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Small town talk or truth.... I don't know....take it with a grain of salt:

Basically down to 2 guys.

Both current AD/HC.  One with a 5A state title.  Another with lots of playoff success, but no title yet.

Either one of them are great choices IMHO.  Both have been winners in multiple places.  

I would guess the hope of longevity at the position is a focus.... because both are winners.

Guess we will find out this week.....which is a week sooner than they originally planned.  Sounds like they had their eye on 2-3 guys from the get-go.

Personally..... I'd be excited for either one if the info is on the money.

Sounds like another high profile name who is trying to build a resume and leave.. same stuff just a different coach. Plus JA been to how many schools in the past 5 years????

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, TrumpisDump said:

R.S. isn't a good choice either.. he got to state off of Harper's remnants and then had to biggest losing deficit of a state game ever and left... 

Harper remnants?  Marshall missed the playoffs the last SIX YEARS he was the HC.  Harper left Marshall after an offensive system had become stale and predictable and annual defenses that were atrociously porous. 

And I’d take that state championship beating every single year if it means your playing in a state title game.  HP was better. Doesn’t matter if you lose by 1 or lose by 50. 

On 2/12/2022 at 5:42 PM, rocketpop said:

you hit the target here. again, not a single coach/athletic staff on hiring committee and thats a fact. 6 members, not one current athletic staff. there is a reason coaches leaving here at speed of light. they all have one common denominator in conversation. i hope new guy can tame the issue and keep the issue out of his way and do what is required to grow otherwise we will keep losing good people

Man, this is an uneducated and untrue statement.  I have never heard of a search committee that included current coaches in the athletic department.  The search committee was chocked full of athletic minded people, many of whom having been coaches themselves.  This "coaches leaving at the speed of light" is also not true.  The girls VBall coach is taking a job at Leander Vista Ridge, a 6A school.  She has done a remarkable job at Marshall, and as much as everyone would have loved to keep her, she is moving up in her profession.  We wish her well and are very appreciative of everything she did in Marshall to turn that program around.  Losing a coach to a 6A school is not an indictment on Marshall.  The DC and OC are going with Griedl to Bastrop, which is also expected.  May lose one or two more football coaches, but that is also not out of the ordinary with a coaching change. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Harper remnants?  Marshall missed the playoffs the last SIX YEARS he was the HC.  Harper left Marshall after an offensive system had become stale and predictable and annual defenses that were atrociously porous. 

And I’d take that state championship beating every single year if it means your playing in a state title game.  HP was better. Doesn’t matter if you lose by 1 or lose by 50. 

I see no longevity on here after him and also to be the 2nd in most win. Plus beating Longview more times in the 90s than any current time period speaks volumes. I graduated from a nearby district in the 90s but you have to respect that. 

Screenshot_20220213-231916_Chrome.jpg

5 minutes ago, TrumpisDump said:

I see no longevity on here after him and also to be the 2nd in most win. Plus beating Longview more times in the 90s than any current time period speaks volumes. I graduated from a nearby district in the 90s but you have to respect that. 

Screenshot_20220213-231916_Chrome.jpg

I have the utmost respect for Bill Harper. He was here a long time and won a ton of games. 

But Rodney Southern inherited a mess when he got here.

Long playoff drought.  Facilities were in shambles.  Numbers were down.

You stated his success was on the coattails of Harper.  Southern came in 2002…..Marshall hadn’t been in the playoffs since 1996.  What coattails?  The non playoff coattails? 

Southern built something.  Harris followed with some good success too.

Clint Harper dug us out of a crater; a program low.  Mathis built on that. Griedl continued… but put us on the map with facilities. 

4 of the last 6 coaches have lead Marshall to at least one region semi since 2002.  6 of the last 8 have since 1984. 

What does that tell me?  Marshall has won… and had deep runs with every single coach we’ve had for the last  38 years.  Only one of them has had a losing record.

I think we will have another winner.  The biggest question for me is….. will they stay??

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I have the utmost respect for Bill Harper. He was here a long time and won a ton of games. 

You stated his success was on the coattails of Harper.  Southern came in 2002…..Marshall hadn’t been in the playoffs since 1996.  What coattails?  The non playoff coattails? 

Clint Harper dug us out of a crater; a program low.  Mathis built on that. Griedl continued… but put us on the map with facilities. 

4 of the last 6 coaches have lead Marshall to at least one region semi since 2002.  6 of the last 8 have since 1984. 

What does that tell me?  Marshall has won… and had deep runs with every single coach we’ve had for the last  38 years.  Only one of them has had a losing record.

I think we will have another winner.  The biggest question for me is….. will they stay??

Yeah I hope the best. Hopefully they will stay long enough to start from the ground up and be successful. Maybe this ol' country boy doesn't like big city names lol

Bill Harper was a great coach and is a great man.  You talk about unlucky?  He finished 7-3 in '98, beat two number 1 teams in the state and missed the playoffs because we played in the toughest district in the State of Texas.  If Harper had been around when we dropped to 4A, he would have rolled.  Big difference playing Tyler Lee, John Tyler, Longview and Lufkin over Jacksonville, Henderson, Hallsville and Pine Tree. 

On another note:  all you folks yelling for stability and for someone to stay - with the exception of the Dennis Parker-Bill Harper combination, no one has ever stayed in Marshall for over 4 years.  The golden years were 1984 to 2000.  Can that be recreated?  Only time will tell, but you can't hire someone just because you think they will stay.  You hire someone who can win and will leave it better than they found it.  Everyone thought Clint Harper would stay.  No one has the ability to forecast what will happen in the future.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mavo said:

Bill Harper was a great coach and is a great man.  You talk about unlucky?  He finished 7-3 in '98, beat two number 1 teams in the state and missed the playoffs because we played in the toughest district in the State of Texas.  If Harper had been around when we dropped to 4A, he would have rolled.  Big difference playing Tyler Lee, John Tyler, Longview and Lufkin over Jacksonville, Henderson, Hallsville and Pine Tree. 

On another note:  all you folks yelling for stability and for someone to stay - with the exception of the Dennis Parker-Bill Harper combination, no one has ever stayed in Marshall for over 4 years.  The golden years were 1984 to 2000.  Can that be recreated?  Only time will tell, but you can't hire someone just because you think they will stay.  You hire someone who can win and will leave it better than they found it.  Everyone thought Clint Harper would stay.  No one has the ability to forecast what will happen in the future.

Why do you think that is? No longevity.. 

11 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

funny story, I can still run Harper's offense... I graduated over 20 years ago... it was that basic.  The route tree, is the route tree... that hasn't changed in forever, but the playcalling, blocking scheme and formations were so basic that you can still find most of them on the original Tecmo Bowl.

• LOL! 2

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall is built on the families in Marshall.  The coaches are just there to direct them where to go.  As much as I wanted to get out of Marshall, there is no doubt that the people in the city love football, and breed with top notch athletic chromosomes.  The only guy who has had a tough go at Marshall in recent history was Alex Richters.  His downfall was his complete overhaul of the offense to fit a scheme where he didn't have the right kind of athletes to run it.  If he had stayed in the same Harris offense, the spread, and used his athletes with the read option, he would have also had 7 wins his first season IMO.  His 2nd season would have been a rough go, but those kids were young, and would have been back.  

It's crazy to not win in Marshall.  My 4 years as a student at the HS and 2 years as the athletic trainer, we finished 2nd in the state meet in track, were ranked #2 in the state in football, we had a year where 20 football athletes signed LOIs with financial benefits (scholarships), 3 round deep run in the playoffs at least twice, and at least 1 player go to the NFL.  It's not hard to win in Marshall if you just know what you are doing... and with the going rate for AD, I am shocked every time I see someone is leaving for greener pastures.  

• Like 1

I also want to voice my opinion on why there is no longevity at Marshall for an AD:

1.  Marshall kind of stinks in relative terms when it comes for the job market outside of being the AD.  For example, when I decided to leave my hometown, my job was fine working for the school, but my wife had her master's and was working on her PhD... the only place that really fit her study was ETBU, and that pay was a kick to the nads.  So we moved to Ft. Worth.  If you have a working educated spouse, the pay in Marshall will never reach its full potential for their profession, and that includes teachers.

2. Marshall is old.  There is a lot of new restaurants and I can tell when I go back to visit my parents, that someone is trying to improve the aesthetics of the town.  However, the neighborhoods are old, the buildings are old, and it makes you feel like you are in the 80s.

3. Community.  The community of Marshall is East Texas.  If you aren't from East Texas, you just don't get it.  There are people who are rude, just because that's the way they were raised.  There are some people that are poor and will give you the shirt off of their back.  Then there are those who will tell you to your face that you are going to hell because you missed church once on a Sunday.  It's just different for DFW folks who just kind of keep to themselves.

4.  Poverty.  I am not going to pretend that coaches haven't seen this.  Unless they are from The Woodlands or Highland Park, they've seen plenty of poverty in their students.  You just have to know how to treat them right in Marshall.  Most people in Marshall have a voice if they want one, so treating all people equally, and giving back to the community is important.  This alone is a huge role to undertake in Marshall, TX.

Some of you will say "This is the same everywhere in ETX."  Maybe so, but how many people in ETX have long term success?  Gilmer, Longview, Carthage, T High, EF (in the 90s)... what did they all have in common?  Stud athletes and longevity at HC/AD.  You need that.  I hope Marshall can get that.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I also want to voice my opinion on why there is no longevity at Marshall for an AD:

1.  Marshall kind of stinks in relative terms when it comes for the job market outside of being the AD.  For example, when I decided to leave my hometown, my job was fine working for the school, but my wife had her master's and was working on her PhD... the only place that really fit her study was ETBU, and that pay was a kick to the nads.  So we moved to Ft. Worth.  If you have a working educated spouse, the pay in Marshall will never reach its full potential for their profession, and that includes teachers.

2. Marshall is old.  There is a lot of new restaurants and I can tell when I go back to visit my parents, that someone is trying to improve the aesthetics of the town.  However, the neighborhoods are old, the buildings are old, and it makes you feel like you are in the 80s.

3. Community.  The community of Marshall is East Texas.  If you aren't from East Texas, you just don't get it.  There are people who are rude, just because that's the way they were raised.  There are some people that are poor and will give you the shirt off of their back.  Then there are those who will tell you to your face that you are going to hell because you missed church once on a Sunday.  It's just different for DFW folks who just kind of keep to themselves.

4.  Poverty.  I am not going to pretend that coaches haven't seen this.  Unless they are from The Woodlands or Highland Park, they've seen plenty of poverty in their students.  You just have to know how to treat them right in Marshall.  Most people in Marshall have a voice if they want one, so treating all people equally, and giving back to the community is important.  This alone is a huge role to undertake in Marshall, TX.

Some of you will say "This is the same everywhere in ETX."  Maybe so, but how many people in ETX have long term success?  Gilmer, Longview, Carthage, T High, EF (in the 90s)... what did they all have in common?  Stud athletes and longevity at HC/AD.  You need that.  I hope Marshall can get that.

Well said... Marshall has a need for jobs and opportunity and hopefully that can get the city back booming. The athletes have never been a problem in Marshall. I'm not from there but it is a city that needs love and someone to care for it as it should. There's not much difference in the places named and Marshall at all. It just needs a leader who help people see that there's opportunity and a light at the end of the tunnel. 

On the bright side....how nice would it be for a Tesla factory to randomly pop up in Marshall lol I think that would fix a few problems 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrumpisDump said:

Well said... Marshall has a need for jobs and opportunity and hopefully that can get the city back booming. The athletes have never been a problem in Marshall. I'm not from there but it is a city that needs love and someone to care for it as it should. There's not much difference in the places named and Marshall at all. It just needs a leader who help people see that there's opportunity and a light at the end of the tunnel. 

On the bright side....how nice would it be for a Tesla factory to randomly pop up in Marshall lol I think that would fix a few problems 

It would fix a ton of problems.  Eastman in Longview is a good source of jobs out there...  I would like to see something that could house a few 1000 jobs in Marshall for high school educated people with something that fit in well with ETBU majors.  Engineering jobs could pull LeTourneau grads to Marshall, but right now, ETBU pumps out nurses and education majors (and I love the programs, top notch) but outside of Marshall ISD and Marshall Regional, those people are going to leave.  In Mineral Wells, we are going through the same issues now... we are trying to lure Helicopter and flight business here, as well as drones, to utilize the once busy US Military Training Base (Fort Wolters).  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

It would fix a ton of problems.  Eastman in Longview is a good source of jobs out there...  I would like to see something that could house a few 1000 jobs in Marshall for high school educated people with something that fit in well with ETBU majors.  Engineering jobs could pull LeTourneau grads to Marshall, but right now, ETBU pumps out nurses and education majors (and I love the programs, top notch) but outside of Marshall ISD and Marshall Regional, those people are going to leave.  In Mineral Wells, we are going through the same issues now... we are trying to lure Helicopter and flight business here, as well as drones, to utilize the once busy US Military Training Base (Fort Wolters).  

I remember if you went to the Marshall hospital you were probably going to be in bad shape. Eastman would be great in Marshall. Only problem is... small town can vote against big factories coming in because they wouldn't be relevant anymore. I remember there was once a proposition for a factory to go into a 3A town in ETX but the city voted against it because to keep the money in house. Plus the people with money at that time would not be such a high commodity anymore if you know what I mean. 

38 minutes ago, TrumpisDump said:

That won't happen. We said the same thing about Tyler. It would be nice if one of these major companies that's moving from California could move to Tyler or surrounding areas. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I will be the first to say that I don't know anything about Marshall. I have been following this thread because I found it interesting. I looked up the current data or accountability rating on Marshall HS. I found it interesting that in 2018-2019 68% of the HS students are at risk and 61.9% or economically disadvantaged. With those numbers, not just anyone can coach or handle kids in that environment. Is there a correlation with a coach's longevity and the environment? I am not sure, but I do know the next head coach at Marshall is dealing with kids from a different environment compared to kids from the suburbs. Not saying a coach cannot win with those obstacles because WOS as well as SOC have proven that you can. It takes a special coach that can connect with the kids, families, and community. I have attached the link for the latest accountability rating.

https://schools.texastribune.org/districts/marshall-isd/marshall-high-school/

45 minutes ago, swaha said:

I will be the first to say that I don't know anything about Marshall. I have been following this thread because I found it interesting. I looked up the current data or accountability rating on Marshall HS. I found it interesting that in 2018-2019 68% of the HS students are at risk and 61.9% or economically disadvantaged. With those numbers, not just anyone can coach or handle kids in that environment. Is there a correlation with a coach's longevity and the environment? I am not sure, but I do know the next head coach at Marshall is dealing with kids from a different environment compared to kids from the suburbs. Not saying a coach cannot win with those obstacles because WOS as well as SOC have proven that you can. It takes a special coach that can connect with the kids, families, and community. I have attached the link for the latest accountability rating.

https://schools.texastribune.org/districts/marshall-isd/marshall-high-school/

Outside of Hallsville and Whitehouse…. I would venture to guess that the demographics at MHS aren’t that different than all the other schools in 8-5A or any other minority majority school in East Texas (Lufkin, Tyler, etc).

Totally agree coaching in a school like this is different than it is in Frisco or Mansfield. 

East Texas is different because of the wide socio-economic differences in your kids. Not all of them will be poor.  Only a handful come from wealth.  Most will me lower middle income.  Gotta reach them all.  Gotta love on them all. 

Im pretty stoked. I think Mav Nation as a whole will be too. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Outside of Hallsville and Whitehouse…. I would venture to guess that the demographics at MHS aren’t that different than all the other schools in 8-5A or any other minority majority school in East Texas (Lufkin, Tyler, etc).

Totally agree coaching in a school like this is different than it is in Frisco or Mansfield. 

East Texas is different because of the wide socio-economic differences in your kids. Not all of them will be poor.  Only a handful come from wealth.  Most will me lower middle income.  Gotta reach them all.  Gotta love on them all. 

Im pretty stoked. I think Mav Nation as a whole will be too. 

Will you confirm or deny that Jack Alvarez in the next Mavs Head Football Coach and Athletic Director?

• Mavchamp changed the title to Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC