Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC

TrumpisDump

3 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Alvarez bristles if you call his offense Wing-T, he says his offense is "Run it where they ain't and throw it where they aint"

Its really a hybrid offense with elements of Wing-T, spread and pro-style

Yep, he had an interesting quote in the Ennis newspaper about calling it the Wing-T.  Truth is that a lot of his formations bring the elements of the wing-T in the execution.  Going to be interesting if he ends up in marshall.

56 minutes ago, country said:

I suspect JA knows more about Coaching football than any poster on this thread.

while that is most likely 100% true & correct, at the same time people are entitled to their personal thoughts and opinions.  

btw,(by the way) I don't recall anyone to this point doubting his knowledge and/or his coaching methods.

Even while I personally think 125K (if true) is too much for him to ask for, especially in Jasper. I have not ever knocked him for what he does or doesn't know about football.

2 hours ago, country said:

You don't know how many national championships I have won with Eastern Michigan on NCAA 17 on Heisman difficulty....  I can coach and recruit.

• LOL! 8

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/advosports/alvarez-leaving-cuero-to-become-ad-head-football-coach-at-marshall/article_0c408ace-8e29-11ec-9fd1-970f09b03605.html

Congrats on a great hire.  Hope he does stick around for years.  I will closely watch how he deals with the strength and conditioning program.  No knocks on what you got now but should see some influence and persistence in that area.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrumpisDump said:

Uh yeah, my point I've been saying this whole thread..

After reading the article from the Stx newspaper I’m thinking he’ll stay. Really important to him to be close to grandkids. Now if something closer opens up idk. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, country said:

Impossible. I'll have you know that I have a dozen Super Bowl titles (on Madden) and at least 50 major bowl wins (on PlayStation).

I don't mean to brag, but there is literally no one on the face of the earth who knows more about football than I do. 

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

You don't know how many national championships I have won with Eastern Michigan on NCAA 17 on Heisman difficulty....  I can coach and recruit.

Dangit...  Mav beat me to it.  :woot:

• LOL! 2

Quote from Coach Alvarez: 

“I’ll evaluate, see what I have and from there, we’ll start formulating what we’re really going to do. Offensively, we’ll be a multi-formation team, just like we have since I was in Jasper as offensive coordinator back in 1993, 94, somewhere in there. My base pretty much stays the same on formations and then we’ll do what our kids can do the best. For instance this year, we were pretty much balanced. We threw for around 3,000 yards and rushed for almost 3,000 yards. It doesn’t matter to me. I just want to get the ball into the end zone and give the kids a chance to win

“Defensively, this year, our personnel fitted a 3-4 so we played a 3-4. I really don’t know where they’ve been in the past but I’ve got to get out here and see the kids run around and move around and we’ll make our decision where we put them.”

From Marshall News Mesenger 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Mavchamp changed the title to Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC

I’ll be honest….. 

It wasn’t the name I was expecting or hoping for. 

But anyone associated with Maverick Football  has got to be excited about this hire.  The guy is a winner.   And there’s no promise….but longevity COULD be written all over this

He has two decades of experience.   He has won everywhere he has gone.   State semi-finalist last season.  State champion in 2014. Two state runner ups before that. 

He has family ties within an hour of Marshall for both him and his wife.  Grandchildren near Marshall.   Huge.  

He’s coming to a program that doesn’t need a rebuild…. But chomping at the bit to take the next step.  The facilities are top notch with even more improvements in the works.  

I’m well aware that I’m a homer.  But I’m also a realist.   I don’t mind calling out the warts when they need to be called out.  That’s why one of his predecessors didn’t care for me. 

But one thing I know for sure….. there are very few communities in the state that support their team any better than Marshall does their Mavericks.  We pack our stadium more often than not. We travel near and far. We drench a stadium with red and we make lots of noise.  There are so many communities and teams that would love to have that.  We’ve got it.   We’ve had it when we’ve had great teams.  And we had it in those terrible years too.  Just the way it is.

I hope all that adds up to something like what we’ve seen with King in Longview.  Or Surratt in Carthage. Longevity. More winning. Stability. Some trophies. More winning. Excitement. More winning. Pride. More winning. 

Absolutely thrilled. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, ChiefMav said:

our inability to consistently find a stud traditional spread QB his offense might be a blessing in disguise… 

Hehehe.....you just described the issue at probably 80% of every HS in Texas...

I know it was a common theme not just for Marshall last season...but also Pine Tree.... Longview.... Whitehouse.... Hallsville.... Mount Pleasant.....Lufkin.....  

I'm seeing a pattern.....

Must be a common problem.