Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC

TrumpisDump

14 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Hehehe.....you just described the issue at probably 80% of every HS in Texas...

I know it was a common theme not just for Marshall last season...but also Pine Tree.... Longview.... Whitehouse.... Hallsville.... Mount Pleasant.....Lufkin.....  

I'm seeing a pattern.....

Must be a common problem.

yea, but Longview offense can still be a threat without a stud qb.  That's why this can possibly be a good hire.

16 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Hehehe.....you just described the issue at probably 80% of every HS in Texas...

I know it was a common theme not just for Marshall last season...but also Pine Tree.... Longview.... Whitehouse.... Hallsville.... Mount Pleasant.....Lufkin.....  

I'm seeing a pattern.....

Must be a common problem.

It is common very common lol I’ve just seen Marshall too many times flounder when if they had a average or better QB we’d be dangerous outside of Hart and Green when he actually played it’s been a drought.…but Alvarez might be the remedy with the Backs and receivers we can roll out minimizing the QBs importance just might be a stoke of genius 😬🤷🏾‍♂️ I’m sure you can agree all the teams you listed we usually have better skill players outside of Longview and sometimes  lufkin..

51 minutes ago, ChiefMav said:

I’m fine with the hire honestly with our inability to consistently find a stud traditional spread QB his offense might be a blessing in disguise… I am curious to know who the other finalists/applicants were though 

His wizardry with Marshall's athletes...man...hoping for the best in 15 out of your 16 games next year and beyond.

Just now, kingwolf said:

His wizardry with Marshall's athletes...man...hoping for the best in 15 out of your 16 games next year and beyond.

lmao. 

I'll take a beating from Longview every year until the end of time if we can get 15-16 games a seasons.

But....I'd rather see a game that just becomes competitive and worthwhile again.  Even if we lose every time.  If we're hanging tough with Longview.....we're on the right track.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiefMav said:

It is common very common lol I’ve just seen Marshall too many times flounder when if they had a average or better QB we’d be dangerous outside of Hart and Green when he actually played it’s been a drought.…but Alvarez might be the remedy with the Backs and receivers we can roll out minimizing the QBs importance just might be a stoke of genius 😬🤷🏾‍♂️ I’m sure you can agree all the teams you listed we usually have better skill players outside of Longview and sometimes  lufkin..

To be fair.....Marshall has had a 1,000 passer every season since 1990 but two IIRC.  Had them over 2000 yards several times too.

And I agree.....more often than not.....we have better athletes than most of those schools I mentioned outside of Longview and LP (not to mention they both have 700+ more students)....but the end goal isn't just to be better than our district rivals.... we want to be better than most in our REGION.

I like the idea of being less QB-centric....unless the talent at the position is actually there like we saw with Hart and Green (when his head was on straight).

Not only does it balance your offense more...... it can lessen the blow if you lose your QB.  It's tough seeing a team's season go down the tubes because of one injury.

We saw a QB injury hurt us last season when Olvera went down.  Thankfully it wasn't a fatal blow.  Kid was tough as nails and came back for the playoffs even though he wasn't 100%

2019 was devastating when we lost Green.  We were lucky to have a guy step in that still lead us to a district championship.

2015 when we lost Hart for the season.  It made that Bi-district game Vs. Lindale a little too close.  We blew SOC out.  Not sure it mattered who the QB was Vs. Lone Star.

2010..... a hobbled QB Bryce French almost pulled off the upset of the year over Sherman (9-1) in the first round.  Lost 24-21.  Had he been healthy...or we had a backup... we win that game IMHO.

Could keep going back.....injured QB's have plagued us forever it seems.

Excited to see how this all evolves..... esp when we've seen teams have so much success with a pass/run balance with a "run look".   Ennis.  Longview.  Texas High.  Carthage.  

Pretty exciting.  

----------

Also thrilled to have him in place in Feb.... that gives him time to get his staff in place for spring ball to happen.  Not to mention 7 on 7.   Plenty of time to keep things seamless.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Lots of discussion about the offense, but not much about the defense.  Will the DC stay?  If not can the new coach bring one to replicate the results from 2021?  Outside of the Crosby game the defense appeared to play pretty good last year.

From what I understand OC and DC will join Griedl in Bastrop.  

Several Mav coaches (from what I understand) will remain in Marshall.  Coach Lott being one of them. 

I'm sure we'll know more in the coming weeks.

Defense was NO DOUBT our strength last season.... the defense dragged us to victory several times in spite of the offense's efforts.... MP and Rudder game to name two.

Crosby made every defense they played all season look bad.

I think this was a awesome hire for Marshall.  I seen him first hand while he was in Ennis. Took a kid and made a quarterback out of him and won a championship. If I was a Maverick fan, I'd be excited too. JMO, he makes Marshall not only a contender in Region II, but also a championship contender. 

2 hours ago, WhyUMad said:

This offense will give Texas High fits run right at them because you cant out run them. Great hire will be very tough to beat.

Texas High is the 500lb gorilla for Marshall.

When THS hasn’t been in the district, we’ve won the district championship every season.

When they are in the district…. We’re runner up. Been that way every season since 2014. 

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Texas High is the 500lb gorilla for Marshall.

When THS hasn’t been in the district, we’ve won the district championship every season.

When they are in the district…. We’re runner up. Been that way every season since 2014. 

What about 2017? Both teams had just hired new coaches and was played at Grim. Then 2015 there was a 3 way tie for 1st with Longview. Although we win it outright if Hart doesn't get injured the week before THigh. 

25 minutes ago, mav01 said:

What about 2017? Both teams had just hired new coaches and was played at Grim. Then 2015 there was a 3 way tie for 1st with Longview. Although we win it outright if Hart doesn't get injured the week before THigh. 

Since we dropped classification in 2002 we are (3-10) Vs THS.  2009 and 2017 were the only district wins.  The 2007 win was a playoff game. That means we’re (2-10) since 2002 in district play.   That’s total domination.

We have a winning record against everyone else in the district. 

THS is definitely our 500 lb gorilla 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Since we dropped classification in 2002 we are (3-10) Vs THS.  2009 and 2017 were the only district wins.  The 2007 win was a playoff game. That means we’re (2-10) since 2002 in district play.   That’s total domination.

We have a winning record against everyone else in the district. 

THS is definitely our 500 lb gorilla 

I agree. I wasn't debating that. Just the part about always being runner up when they are in our district since 2014.  We definitely have to be on top of our game..

I do think that we would have probably built a 2 game district win streak had we played again in 2018, but that's just one of those "ifs".

2 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Can’t wait to play y’all week one!

Judging by most of his first year records, that first game could be ugly. Those 4 non district games will all be learning experiences to prepare us for district. Not saying we can't pull a couple of them out, but I'm expecting a big learning curve early on. Especially offensively.