Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC

TrumpisDump

6 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I want to see LH have sustained success with that offense at the 5A level before I’d want to say it’s not gimmicky. 

The problem when you’re truly one dimensional is being crippled if someone comes along and shuts you down. 

As successful as John Tyler’s Wing-T was with Allen Wilson in the 90s…. It only only won one title. 

Lake Highland’s wishbone never won a title.  But lots of deep runs. 

Lewisville won a title in the 90s I think with the power option.  But that was it. 

Hard to win state…. And harder to win consistently with one dimensional offenses IMHO. 

What seems to win state consistently?   Balance. Pass AND run. Run AND pass.   SLC.  Katy.  Aledo. 

Completely agree with you that  kids would be slow to embrace it.   Hard offense to run.  Hard on the body for sure.  

It relies a ton on the 5-6 guys up front and a FB to be better than the guy in front of them and not make mistakes.  You are aiming for 3 1/2 yards a play to make it work.  I lean more like you think.  Can you have an offensive system?  Yes.  However, it has to adapt.  NFL equivalent this year San Francisco.  New Orleans.  Those coaches didn’t change their entire system, they tweaked schemes and adjusted a few plays to give their best players the ball.

6 minutes ago, BuckNut said:

Marshall y’all ought to be happy to consistently make it to 3rd or 4th round.

Marshall fans are happy, just not completely satisfied.  Notice the distinction between those 2 words.  We’ve had state championship teams lose in the 1st and 2nd rounds, and 1st round playoff teams go 2-3 rounds deep.  Marshall is a town filled with homegrown talent that is just hungry for wins in football.  Never mistake that hunger for dissatisfaction.

55 minutes ago, BuckNut said:

Marshall y’all ought to be happy to consistently make it to 3rd or 4th round.

2 state title games (04, 05), 4 region semis (07, 09, 15, 18), and several other runs (14, 21) since 2004….  In the last 18 seasons is less than some   More than most.  

No… that doesn’t compare to Carthage or Gilmer or Longview….. but compared to most 5As in the state…. Not many have anything comparable to that.   Especially in East Texas 5A. Before 2020…. THS hadn’t made a run in a decade.   Besides Texarkana and Marshall….no one (currently) in 9-5A has made it out of the second round in the last 20 seasons. 

If we were consistently making it 3-4 rounds deep in Marshall the coach would be iconic.  They'd never have to buy a meal (or a car) in their lifetime 😂😂😂

I can only think of one local fanbase that complains about late round exits annually.  It’s a position we’d all like to be in.  I’d love to be even more spoiled than I am.  

Totally agree with Mavgrad. Happy and satisfied are two different things.  

59 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I want to see LH have sustained success with that offense at the 5A level before I’d want to say it’s not gimmicky. 

The problem when you’re truly one dimensional is being crippled if someone comes along and shuts you down. 

As successful as John Tyler’s Wing-T was with Allen Wilson in the 90s…. It only only won one title. 

Lewisville won a title in the 90s I think with the power option.  But that was it. 

Hard to win state…. And harder to win consistently with one dimensional offenses IMHO. 

What seems to win state consistently?   Balance. Pass AND run. Run AND pass.   SLC.  Katy.  Aledo. 

Completely agree with you that  kids would be slow to embrace it.   Hard offense to run.  Hard on the body for sure.  

JT between 94-2000.....A state title (94), state runner up (2000), state semi finals (97)  Not too bad in my opinion.

Alvarez did pretty good at Ennis not too long ago too.  

Lets be honest, most teams these days pass 75% of the time, so not really much balance today either.  If the kids buy into it, anything can work...ie.Liberty Hill

by the way, ONE state title is better than NO state title. 

5 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

JT between 94-2000.....A state title (94), state runner up (2000), state semi finals (97)  Not too bad in my opinion.

Lets be honest, most teams these days pass 75% of the time, so not really much balance today either.  If the kids buy into it, anything can work...ie.Liberty Hill

Allen Wilson was brilliant at JT. 
I had so much respect for him.

Should have won more than one title…… but Lake Highlands was a thorn for many east Texas teams in the 90s.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

2 state title games (04, 05), 4 region semis (07, 09, 15, 18), and several other runs (14, 21) since 2004….  In the last 18 seasons is less than some   More than most.  

No… that doesn’t compare to Carthage or Gilmer or Longview….. but compared to most 5As in the state…. Not many have anything comparable to that.   Especially in East Texas 5A. Before 2020…. 

Between 2010-2018 JT went 4 rounds deep twice (2010, 2018) , and state semi 3 times. (2011, 2012, 2014)

but I agree, Marshall has done really well.  I think if a coach sticks around, it will happen again.

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

Allen Wilson was brilliant at JT. 
I had so much respect for him.

Should have won more than one title…… but Lake Highlands was a thorn for many east Texas teams in the 90s.  

He technically has 2, but one in Paris.  yea, but he had a great run.JT played LH several times in the playoffs from 94 to 98. I think they beat them in 94, 97 and lost in 96,98

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTFAN99 said:

Between 2010-2018 JT went 4 rounds deep twice (2010, 2018) , and state semi 3 times. (2011, 2012, 2014)

but I agree, Marshall has done really well.  I think if a coach sticks around, it will happen again.

I should have quantified with 5A DIV II schools. 

JT has had some good runs for sure.  Some of them in 6A, which makes them even more impressive. Other runs in 5A Div I.

Of the ETX 5A Div II schools…… Texarkana And Marshall have been it.  And we’ve each had some ugly seasons interspersed.  Everyone else has been abysmal. 

Guess we could claim Sulphur Springs from the late 2000s.  But are they East Texas?  Meh. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

He technically has 2, but one in Paris.  yea, but he had a great run.JT played LH several times in the playoffs from 94 to 98. I think they beat them in 94, 97 and lost in 96,98

I witnessed Lake Highlands end Nacs magical run in….91?  92?  On a long field goal.

Saw them completely dismantle a 12-0 Marshall team that was #2 in the state in 1996.  Won’t even mention them beating us in the third round in 1994 too  ughhh. 

Saw them break Lufkins heart in….1997? At SFA in the region finals  

And saw them upset JT at Texas Stadium in 98 I think. 

Pretty sure I despised LH in the 90s 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Some of them in 6A

Believe Tyler only had one successful play run in 6A. 2016 they went to the Regional Round, lost to Klein Collins 56-14. 2017 they missed the playoffs.

(not that it matters lol)

11 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Hard to win state at any level with those “””””gimmicky””””” offenses…… 

10 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

JT in the 90s was a pain in the butt... it was more fun beating them 96-98 than it was beating Longview (minus 98).

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I witnessed Lake Highlands end Nacs magical run in….91?  92?  On a long field goal.

Saw them completely dismantle a 12-0 Marshall team that was #2 in the state in 1996.  Won’t even mention them beating us in the third round in 1994 too  ughhh. 

Saw them break Lufkins heart in….1997? At SFA in the region finals  

And saw them upset JT at Texas Stadium in 98 I think. 

Pretty sure I despised LH in the 90s 

I was with that team in 96... I was a sophomore... that was the most painful loss in my career (as a student and professional).  The writing was on the wall though...  The Nac team in our district that year was horrible but they gashed our defense for close to 35 points with their Triple option.  I believe there was 1 other Triple option type team we played that year that made our offense win the game for us.  Everyone else had a rough time with our defense, we just couldn't stop the option attack.  When we finally faced Lake Highlands, they had a legit option attack with some real dudes running it, we were in a 3 score hole before we could even get our balanced attack on track.  That was one of those magical years that we had the team and players to win state, but a hiccup that sent us on a what felt like an eternity drive from DFW to Marshall for the year.  (I do believe we finished 2nd or 1st at state that same year in track).

10 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

JT in the 90s was a pain in the butt... it was more fun beating them 96-98 than it was beating Longview (minus 98).

David Aaron (96) and Kendrick Starling (98)

Marshall and JT was always a big deal, but honestly, all the district games were a rivalry then.  The good ole days...lol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I was with that team in 96... I was a sophomore... that was the most painful loss in my career (as a student and professional).  The writing was on the wall though...  The Nac team in our district that year was horrible but they gashed our defense for close to 35 points with their Triple option.  I believe there was 1 other Triple option type team we played that year that made our offense win the game for us.  Everyone else had a rough time with our defense, we just couldn't stop the option attack.  When we finally faced Lake Highlands, they had a legit option attack with some real dudes running it, we were in a 3 score hole before we could even get our balanced attack on track.  That was one of those magical years that we had the team and players to win state, but a hiccup that sent us on a what felt like an eternity drive from DFW to Marshall for the year.  (I do believe we finished 2nd or 1st at state that same year in track).

That 96 loss to LH was one of the hardest to take.  But I can think of a few that were harder....

1.  2004 Ennis.  We had the state trophy in our hand....and a muffed punt late in the fourth cost us the title.  NEVER should have lost that game.  23-21.  UGH.  Still hurts.

2.  2018 Huntsville.  We should have kicked the PAT and forced OT.  They could NOT stop us.  There is no excuse for costing yourself a trip to the quarterfinals on a 2 point conversion.  I'll never...ever EVER understand that call.  35-34.

3.  1993 Killeen.  We were ONE play from the quarterfinals.  Got down to the Kangaroo 20 yardline.  We had one play left for the endzone....but a QB sack ended the game.  Lost the game 15-9.  We were the third place team in district that year behind Longview and John Tyler....but we still went three deep.

I'd toss in the quarterfinal Dallas Carter game in 1988.....  and the semifinal loss to Odessa Permian in 1989.

24 minutes ago, VonG said:

I'm still trying to figure out on how Marshall won the division 1 state title in 90 when they less kids than Lee and JT. 

Multi-faceted answer.  But bottom line…. It was a fluke on several levels.  

1990 was the first year of the split divisions.  The 2 largest schools went Div I…. The smallest went Div II.  They reversed that in 1992 (maybe 94) and sent one to Div I and two to Div II.  

MHS historically had an enrollment around 1700.  But we had a couple of years in the 90s when we had spikes that put us in the 1800s and low 1900s.   Must have had some cold winters in the late 70s 😂.  1990 was just one of those spike years.  We had a higher enrollment than JT… so we squeezed into Div I. 

Interesting to note….. Aldine Eisenhower won the Div II title the week before we beat Judson in Div I.  In spite of being the Div II champ… Ike had a higher enrollment than Marshall did.

• Like 1

• Mavchamp changed the title to Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC