Jump to content

Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC


TrumpisDump
 Share

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Multi-faceted answer.  But bottom line…. It was a fluke on several levels.  

1990 was the first year of the split divisions.  The 2 largest schools went Div I…. The smallest went Div II.  They reversed that in 1992 (maybe 94) and sent one to Div I and two to Div II.  

MHS historically had an enrollment around 1700.  But we had a couple of years in the 90s when we had spikes that put us in the 1800s and low 1900s.   Must have had some cold winters in the late 70s 😂.  1990 was just one of those spike years.  We had a higher enrollment than JT… so we squeezed into Div I. 

Interesting to note….. Aldine Eisenhower won the Div II title the week before we beat Judson in Div I.  In spite of being the Div II champ… Ike had a higher enrollment than Marshall did.

I didn't realize Marshall had enrollment that large. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

yep.  Had people thinking he gave that one away...lol

If my memory serves me correctly. I believe he showed up to a party after the game with him. People definitely thought he gave the game away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, VonG said:

I didn't realize Marshall had enrollment that large. 

Generally…… we didn’t.  We had a spike around 1996/98 too.   Guess there was another cold winter 1980ish 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

That 96 loss to LH was one of the hardest to take.  But I can think of a few that were harder....

1.  2004 Ennis.  We had the state trophy in our hand....and a muffed punt late in the fourth cost us the title.  NEVER should have lost that game.  23-21.  UGH.  Still hurts.

2.  2018 Huntsville.  We should have kicked the PAT and forced OT.  They could NOT stop us.  There is no excuse for costing yourself a trip to the quarterfinals on a 2 point conversion.  I'll never...ever EVER understand that call.  35-34.

3.  1993 Killeen.  We were ONE play from the quarterfinals.  Got down to the Kangaroo 20 yardline.  We had one play left for the endzone....but a QB sack ended the game.  Lost the game 15-9.  We were the third place team in district that year behind Longview and John Tyler....but we still went three deep.

I'd toss in the quarterfinal Dallas Carter game in 1988.....  and the semifinal loss to Odessa Permian in 1989.

I was thinking of games that I was directly involved in (95-98 seasons as a student, 2011-12 as the AT, then everything after that with other schools), but the 2004 Ennis game stings for the whole city.  The Marshall teams in the 80s and 90s, would be able to make deep deep runs the way schools are built today and the amount of transferring that leaves a talent gap.  Also back then, only the top 2 schools made the playoffs in the district.  In whatever district we were back then in 5A, most years, Longview, JT, Lufkin and Marshall were all legitimate threats yearly.  Lee came on late in the 90s and I believe Nac had a solid run sometime during that time frame.  Our district would have made for some great television.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lufkin came on late in the 90s also. It was a toss up between JT, Marshall, and Longview. The JT Marshall games was just as exciting as the Lee and JT even though Lee wasn't all that good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new coach (whoever he is) will apparently have some talent to work with right off the bat. A 1,500-yard RB and a 246-pound lLB were both on Smoaky’s 2021 All-East Texas Team (Honorable Mention).

Also named as a Second Team Kick/Punt Returner was Domar Roberson, who returned 2 kickoffs and a punt for touchdowns last season.  

Will Domar be back next season, or is he graduating this year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

The new coach (whoever he is) will apparently have some talent to work with right off the bat. A 1,500-yard RB and a 246-pound lLB were both on Smoaky’s 2021 All-East Texas Team (Honorable Mention).

Also named as a Second Team Kick/Punt Returner was Domar Roberson, who returned 2 kickoffs and a punt for touchdowns last season.  

Will Domar be back next season, or is he graduating this year?

Domar will be a senior this fall.  Guy is a beast. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've talked to several coaches mostly with East Texas ties and even a couple of alums who might be solid candidates...apparently something is scaring them off because the consensus I'm getting is "I looked into it and there were red flags and I decided to pass"

  • Wow 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love ya, Stepp, but you are off by a million miles on this one.  Marshall has some outstanding applicants, the deepest pool of applicants in program history.  This job has garnered a slap ton of interest.  If somebody didn't apply for this job, then they don't want to live behind the Pine Curtain in a fairly small town.  Simple as that.  And lets face it, East Texas ain't for everybody.  Great facilities, talent everywhere and fans that love their hometown, one-horse team.  I don't see many red flags in that equation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mavo said:

Love ya, Stepp, but you are off by a million miles on this one.  Marshall has some outstanding applicants, the deepest pool of applicants in program history.  This job has garnered a slap ton of interest.  If somebody didn't apply for this job, then they don't want to live behind the Pine Curtain in a fairly small town.  Simple as that.  And lets face it, East Texas ain't for everybody.  Great facilities, talent everywhere and fans that love their hometown, one-horse team.  I don't see many red flags in that equation.

I guess we'll agree to disagree...I mean I had a state title winning head coach from East Texas tell me that...I feel like he'd be a pretty quality applicant alone and that's just one example 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could be wrong…. 

But some might have a problem with a female boss.

The MISD Supt is a woman, Dr. Langley. 

I’ll be the first to admit it’s a hunch.  But it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard it. 

If that’s the case…… it’s more of a commentary on them than her. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I could be wrong…. 

But some might have a problem with a female boss.

The MISD Supt is a woman, Dr. Langley. 

I’ll be the first to admit it’s a hunch.  But it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard it. 

If that’s the case…… it’s more of a commentary on them than her. 

Wouldn’t see how that could be a issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2022 at 1:32 PM, MattStepp said:

I've talked to several coaches mostly with East Texas ties and even a couple of alums who might be solid candidates...apparently something is scaring them off because the consensus I'm getting is "I looked into it and there were red flags and I decided to pass"

you hit the target here. again, not a single coach/athletic staff on hiring committee and thats a fact. 6 members, not one current athletic staff. there is a reason coaches leaving here at speed of light. they all have one common denominator in conversation. i hope new guy can tame the issue and keep the issue out of his way and do what is required to grow otherwise we will keep losing good people

  • SMH 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, MattStepp said:

That being said admin could already be locked in on one or two guys and it's a waste of time for most to apply anyway 

Admin is absolutely locked in on one guy and that guy is the great Mike Thomas. He will bring his vaunted “I” attack to Longhorn land and steamroll all that get in his way. I don’t know who talked this legend off of his Angus ranch in Lilbert and back on to the sideline, but they did Marshall right!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2022 at 9:51 AM, WhyUMad said:

Who is JA?

The great Mike Thomas is well acquainted with JA from their time at Kirbyville together; guess Coach Thomas turned this one down, but look for him to come on staff with JA as the OC. Don’t be surprised to see Dink McCormick brought on as the O line coach. He was Thomas’ right hand man in his stellar one year stint in Cushing. McCormick is one of the most brilliant, underrated O line coaches in all of Texas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Small town talk or truth.... I don't know....take it with a grain of salt:

Basically down to 2 guys.

Both current AD/HC.  One with a 5A state title.  Another with lots of playoff success, but no title yet.

Either one of them are great choices IMHO.  Both have been winners in multiple places.  

I would guess the hope of longevity at the position is a focus.... because both are winners.

Guess we will find out this week.....which is a week sooner than they originally planned.  Sounds like they had their eye on 2-3 guys from the get-go.

Personally..... I'd be excited for either one if the info is on the money.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mavchamp changed the title to Jack Alvarez named new Marshall AD/HC

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...