District 5-3A Division 1 2022-2024

chevyman

4 minutes ago, chevyman said:

5-3A only sees one change as Howe is gone. Obviously will be alot of familiarity in the district with some outstanding players from each team coming back. Looking forward to it.

We stayed the same as well minus New Boston who dropped. 

Looking for this to be another very competitive district again next year. I am going to give a slight synopsis of each team heading into next year and some players to look for. 

Mt Vernon - Has to be the favorite coming off of back to back state semifinal appearances. Will lose some good players but will also return a ton of talent. Bennett, McGill, Horton, Bolin, DiMaggio, Morris, Doss among others

Mineola - I look for them to once again be tough as they always are. Returning some key players will pay big dividends. Pendergrass, Moreland, Redding, Lipscomb? Pendergrass will be one of the most highly rated recruits next year in the whole state so all eyes will be on him

Winny - After a disappointing district outcome last year, i look for the Raiders to bounce back and be right up there competing for one of the top spots. We lost some absolute studs but will be returning some key pieces with a good crop of JV players coming up. Finney, Deaton, Wilcox, Hernandez, Merida, Fulmer, Russell among others will play a key role in getting us back into the playoffs

Pottsboro - Coming off a big bi-district win the Cardinals will be another tough team this coming year. McBride, Flanagan, among others will lead them

Rains - I know they are losing another good senior group but appear to have a good crop coming back lead by Burns and others

Bonham - Coming off a very solid campaign including a trip to the playoffs, the Warriors will look to keep that momentum going. Ross and others will look to lead them

Commerce - As always, they have athletes all over the field but seem to struggle putting it all together. They will return some key players in Jackson and Greer that will look to lead them back to their glory days

Once again...as I said last year the Jackets will have to have more of a game plan than just Pendergrass 95% of the time on Off. Hopefully some others can help...Redding did well before he was hurt...it was frustrating during the play-off game against West to see the Off. moving the ball thru the air and then after 1 INT they abandoned passing almost completely. West was a better team but I think the Jackets could have made it closer. Come on August....and GO JACKETS!!!   

Guest Tiger03lb
On 2/3/2022 at 7:35 PM, gamewatcher63 said:

Once again...as I said last year the Jackets will have to have more of a game plan than just Pendergrass 95% of the time on Off. Hopefully some others can help...Redding did well before he was hurt...it was frustrating during the play-off game against West to see the Off. moving the ball thru the air and then after 1 INT they abandoned passing almost completely. West was a better team but I think the Jackets could have made it closer. Come on August....and GO JACKETS!!!   

I think the int by Wolf was the momentum changer in the game. After that Minny didn't seem the same and couldn't get any passes catch to help. 

I think if anyone wants to beat MV in district 5 they gonna have to tackle on the first attempt on McGill and stay aggressive on rushing the qb. I thought Potts had the right game plan at times, just couldn't stop McGill so they couldn't keep with it. Then keep up with the score with them.

I got

MV

Winny

Minny

Potts

Wouldn't surprise me if there was an upset with MV either. 

I was talking to someone the other day about winnsboro.  I asked him if winnsboro would ever run anything besides the wing T? I feel like there have been several years that they have not tapped in to their full potential with their offense because they barely ever pass. I think if they worked in some more passing opportunities with as well as they run the wing t they could be a pretty deadly offense.  

1 hour ago, Jeepster89 said:

I was talking to someone the other day about winnsboro.  I asked him if winnsboro would ever run anything besides the wing T? I feel like there have been several years that they have not tapped in to their full potential with their offense because they barely ever pass. I think if they worked in some more passing opportunities with as well as they run the wing t they could be a pretty deadly offense.  

We ran spread alot last year so im assuming your source is living under a rock. Our bread and butter is still running the ball but we absolutely have the skill set to do both. Looking forward to utilizing all of our skills next year.

They threw over 1,100 yards last season. 

Ok well I guess I am just comparing to mv who threw for over 3600 yards and ran for over 3800 as well.  That is my ignorance.  I will fall on that knife.  

Lol. No one in ETx compares to MV in passing. Art started something. 

51 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Is Pendergrass gonna have any help this year? 

QB Moreland will be back, RB Redding who was a freshman this past year will be a big contributor again. Ultimately they will have to be able to throw the ball more to help out 22. Lets be clear, he is incredible and will carry them as much as he needs to but i do think they will have to give him some help and also be able to give him a rest as he will be a key player on defense too.

2 hours ago, chevyman said:

QB Moreland will be back, RB Redding who was a freshman this past year will be a big contributor again. Ultimately they will have to be able to throw the ball more to help out 22. Lets be clear, he is incredible and will carry them as much as he needs to but i do think they will have to give him some help and also be able to give him a rest as he will be a key player on defense too.

It will be better this coming season having everyone healthy to start off…hopefully that’s the case. Moreland is a good QB and can throw very well….I just wish they would work on play action and pump fakes to get the DB’s to bite and then burn them like they did against MV in 2020.(It helped having Sneed in the backfield to draw a lot of attention). A HS QB can slice and dice a good Defense if they don’t lock in to the receiver that they are going to throw to. It also depends on how well the line can block to give the QB the extra 1-2 seconds to get the ball out.
  The Jackets lost some really good Sr. players and will need some younger players to step up.

• 2 months later...
On 2/12/2022 at 7:32 AM, chevyman said:

Winny schedule

Dekalb - Away (scrimmage)

Community - Home (scrimmage)

Pewitt - Home

Canton - Away

Hooks - Home

New Boston - Away

Rains - Home *

Commerce - Away *

Mt Vernon - Home *

Pottsboro - Away *

Mineola - Home *

Bonham - Away *

Not sure how we end up playing winny in winny back to back years but as long as the result stays the same I don’t mind the new stadium.  Maybe bring in some more temp bleachers or just let us have the home stands lol 

10 hours ago, Jeepster89 said:

Not sure how we end up playing winny in winny back to back years but as long as the result stays the same I don’t mind the new stadium.  Maybe bring in some more temp bleachers or just let us have the home stands lol 

Re-alignment always brings a fresh schedule and the previous year has no bearing on where the game is played. I can recall a few times in the last 10 years or so that we played in MV back to back years. Temp bleachers aren't a terrible idea, but i believe we didnt have enough room on our side either. Just the nature of the atmosphere of that game. It will be the exact same way next year at yalls place even with the proposed plan of building new home bleachers for you guys. We will still overfill the old home side. 

MV’s 2024 DE picked up a offer from 2 D1 programs - Vanderbilt (SEC) and UNT and 2023 RB picked up 2 D1 offers 1 from TX State and one from Incarnate Word- Also 2023 WR gaining some momentum and pulling a few offers as well- Will also return 3A OPOY in QB Bennett - 3OL starters and almost all of the secondary from last year - if MV finds another WR with 1/2 the production of Coffman (Harvard) it may just be another good run this year! Also MV has a really good SOPH DB who sat out last year due to UIL Rules who will be on the field this year 

• Like 1