District 5-3A Division 1 2022-2024

chevyman

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Big shakeup in the district in the last two weeks with the announcement of Coach Brad Willard formerly of MV moving on to OC at Tyler Legacy. Well deserved for a great guy and coach. Interesting to see who takes over for him as the Tigers will be replacing some incredible players but also returning a solid squad. 

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, chevyman said:

Winny has been working hard these last few weeks with about 120ish kids participating in workouts. Looking forward to a great season

Must be nice. Tatum kids laying up playing Call of Duty in the air conditioning. They gone be fat and slow this year as opposed to being swole and slow last season. We got 11 kids consistently showing up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how the Jackets will be but they are supposed to have a large group of freshman coming up…will be interesting to see how the team responds with Pendergrass gone….

I think Winny and Potts are the favorites to battle it out for DC…but you never know….

On 7/23/2023 at 11:59 AM, gamewatcher63 said:

Not sure how the Jackets will be but they are supposed to have a large group of freshman coming up…will be interesting to see how the team responds with Pendergrass gone….

I think Winny and Potts are the favorites to battle it out for DC…but you never know….

No doubt it will be difficult to replace him but they still have some talented kids coming back. On paper you are correct but i expect MV to be in the mix too. Should be some very competitive games

• Like 2

MV will be better than most will anticipate- This region is pretty wide open- QB will not be a problem as it was at the end of last year- McGill will be hard to replace, but will have better than avg Running Game-Defensively MV will be better overall- Looking forward to a good year

13 hours ago, mvtigerbacker said:

MV will be better than most will anticipate- This region is pretty wide open- QB will not be a problem as it was at the end of last year- McGill will be hard to replace, but will have better than avg Running Game-Defensively MV will be better overall- Looking forward to a good year

Will it be one of the guys from last year or has the new coach found a new one to come in? I agree that the defense will be the strong point with some very good returners. McGill will not be replaced but certainly they can manage relatively well. My concern would be the loss of Coach Kellan Carrell and the incredible job he did on the defensive side. The new DC will obviously have talent to work with so will be interesting to see how he utilizes them.

4 hours ago, chevyman said:

Will it be one of the guys from last year or has the new coach found a new one to come in? I agree that the defense will be the strong point with some very good returners. McGill will not be replaced but certainly they can manage relatively well. My concern would be the loss of Coach Kellan Carrell and the incredible job he did on the defensive side. The new DC will obviously have talent to work with so will be interesting to see how he utilizes them.

MV will return both QB’s from last year ( both served in various ways ) one is a Sr the other a Jr. However Due to coaching changes, we now have two very accomplished sophomores- One 6’2” 190ish who looked really sharp at SFA’s camp this summer the other is Coach George’s son - Also had 3A’s returning reception leader moved back to MV after a year’s absence for his Sr year - MV receiving core is speedy with 4.4 40’s - Defense returns one of the best DL/LB in the state in Morris- plus several key contributors in their 3rd or 4th year starting on varsity - New OC comes from Plano and DC from Longview - Coaching staff as a whole come from higher classifications - I’m most interested to see if MV plays players both ways or stays within what Briles installed- the Oline is the biggest question mark

Edited by mvtigerbacker

On 8/2/2023 at 1:07 PM, mvtigerbacker said:

MV will return both QB’s from last year ( both served in various ways ) one is a Sr the other a Jr. However Due to coaching changes, we now have two very accomplished sophomores- One 6’2” 190ish who looked really sharp at SFA’s camp this summer the other is Coach George’s son - Also had 3A’s returning reception leader moved back to MV after a year’s absence for his Sr year - MV receiving core is speedy with 4.4 40’s - Defense returns one of the best DL/LB in the state in Morris- plus several key contributors in their 3rd or 4th year starting on varsity - New OC comes from Plano and DC from Longview - Coaching staff as a whole come from higher classifications - I’m most interested to see if MV plays players both ways or stays within what Briles installed- the Oline is the biggest question mark

3A's returning reception leader?  Can you elaborate? I haven't heard about this yet.

• Like 1

According to Dave Campbell - He’s on this list - he only played 8 games last year - hopefully our QB situation works out like we hope and can get him and “Boogie” the ball - Dawson Witherspoon is just a SOPH - played very well in a sub role last year behind McGill. 

https://www.kltv.com/story/31947958/mount-vernon-tigers/?outputType=amp

IMG_1455.jpeg

14 minutes ago, mvtigerbacker said:

According to Dave Campbell - He’s on this list - he only played 8 games last year - hopefully our QB situation works out like we hope and can get him and “Boogie” the ball - Dawson Witherspoon is just a SOPH - played very well in a sub role last year behind McGill. 

https://www.kltv.com/story/31947958/mount-vernon-tigers/?outputType=amp

IMG_1455.jpeg

Young man from Hughes Springs has told some youngsters he’s starting. He should be a good one. 

33 minutes ago, Haymaker said:

Young man from Hughes Springs has told some youngsters he’s starting. He should be a good one. 

He’s just a SOPH as well- I’ve watched his Hudl - MV should be in good QB hands for the next 3 years- Quality arm , can run a little (not super fast at 4.8 ) got good size at 6’2 190lbs - Like I said should MV replace those 3 OLINE starters ( they return 2 starters) MV will have a special year- Top 3 in 5-3A will be tough - I think Commerce may just sneak in to that 4th spot this year - I’m ready for the season to start! Will be a Dog fight at the Top in this district  with 3 regional contenders 

Edited by mvtigerbacker

11 hours ago, mvtigerbacker said:

Turf going in at MV - should be ready by week 1- thought I’d never see the day- After football season the new stands, press box and concessions will be built

IMG_1461.jpeg

Sad part is it probably could have been a lot sooner than now.

Winny vs. Dekalb scrimmage

Winny 3 tds overall 

1 for varsity 1s

1 for varsity 2s

1 for jv 1s

Dekalb 2 tds overall

1 for varsity 1s

1 for jv 2s

This was a very controlled scrimmage. No live portion. Winny varsity 1s only had about 20-25 total snaps. Saw some good things in that small sample. Saw some things to improve on. Dekalb had some real big kids and good skill players. They should be tough in D2. Overall it was great to see some football and both teams appeared to come out healthy.

Edited by chevyman
  • Like 1