2A D1 District 9

supermaroon

55 minutes ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

The "Influence from the past regime" is kind of a misleading statement. I had relatives that played for the "past regime" and I thought they did an outstanding job! They were continually placed in some pretty tough AAA districts. They always seemed to put the student's best interest in their hearts. Casto and Co. have done an outstanding job, but dragging good men through the mud with snippy remarks in classless. 

I think supermaroon was just trying to say that all the players understand the Casto system and how he wants certain plays and  techniques to be. That there is no more influence from a different system.

1 hour ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

The "Influence from the past regime" is kind of a misleading statement. I had relatives that played for the "past regime" and I thought they did an outstanding job! They were continually placed in some pretty tough AAA districts. They always seemed to put the student's best interest in their hearts. Casto and Co. have done an outstanding job, but dragging good men through the mud with snippy remarks in classless. 

I'm referring to the losing mentality that had developed there being ok with being below average. I played for that last regime and won playoff games but those last few years wasn't very good. It's a different world now and I have family that plays now and some that played under both and they firmly agree. Not dragging anyone through the mud just stating the fact that there's 1 group left and then it's all casto kids.

1 hour ago, supermaroon said:

I'm referring to the losing mentality that had developed there being ok with being below average. I played for that last regime and won playoff games but those last few years wasn't very good. It's a different world now and I have family that plays now and some that played under both and they firmly agree. Not dragging anyone through the mud just stating the fact that there's 1 group left and then it's all casto kids.

There wasn't a thing wrong with what you posted. The thing is, people that had ties to the last regime take something like what you said as you're trying to take a personal shot at that staff & that’s not the case. You're exactly right, there had become a losing mentality & when 2,3,4 win seasons start becoming the norm, then a place like Cooper is going to look to make a change & you can’t blame them. It’s not saying the guys in the last regime were not good dudes... but if winning matters at all (& it does) & if results matter at all (& they do), then they just weren't getting the job done. Cooper would compete with Bells for second place in that Gunter district right now if they were 3A. They would probably be 2nd in the Grand Saline district also 3A & would probably win the Hooks district or finish top 2, another 3A district for the ones that keep wanting to scream that Casto is only winning because they are in 2A.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supermaroon said:

Not knocking Casto. I’ve met him several times and he seems like a great guy. There were no better people than, Green, Stowers, Cooper and Shipman.

5 hours ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

Not knocking Casto. I’ve met him several times and he seems like a great guy. There were no better people than, Green, Stowers, Cooper and Shipman.

Played for them all loved them. I'm referring to how the last 3 to 4 years went in cooper not winning at any level in any sport. That's just not acceptable in cooper we are now competitive in all sports and thriving in most and its a change in mentality. 

9 hours ago, supermaroon said:

Played for them all loved them. I'm referring to how the last 3 to 4 years went in cooper not winning at any level in any sport. That's just not acceptable in cooper we are now competitive in all sports and thriving in most and its a change in mentality. 

The in all sports thing changed when they dropped from AAA.

1 hour ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

The in all sports thing changed when they dropped from AAA.

Yea it helped the girls basketball & boys baseball programs for sure. Those basketball & baseball districts were pretty brutal. I did hear that towards the end of Green's tenure, that Coach Rainey wanted to come back to coach the baseball team & Green didn't bring him in. That was always a head scratcher to me that you wouldn't want Coach Rodney Rainey to lead the baseball program again. The man is a heck of a baseball coach & led the Dawgs to their only state baseball title. They ended up moving to Van & we all seen what his son Jackson ended up doing their. Imagine what he coulda done as a Bulldog.

On 10/7/2022 at 6:13 PM, Bulldognation1 said:

There wasn't a thing wrong with what you posted. The thing is, people that had ties to the last regime take something like what you said as you're trying to take a personal shot at that staff & that’s not the case. You're exactly right, there had become a losing mentality & when 2,3,4 win seasons start becoming the norm, then a place like Cooper is going to look to make a change & you can’t blame them. It’s not saying the guys in the last regime were not good dudes... but if winning matters at all (& it does) & if results matter at all (& they do), then they just weren't getting the job done. Cooper would compete with Bells for second place in that Gunter district right now if they were 3A. They would probably be 2nd in the Grand Saline district also 3A & would probably win the Hooks district or finish top 2, another 3A district for the ones that keep wanting to scream that Casto is only winning because they are in 2A.

Cooper sounds like they have a good team.  I really don’t know much about them, but I do know about the Bells district.   If Cooper competes for 2nd in that district why are they 17th in computer rankings and not getting any respect in top 10 from the pollsters?  If they could I would expect them to make a run this year in 2A.  Not saying it isn’t true but what am I missing?  

2 minutes ago, SBDAD said:

Cooper sounds like they have a good team.  I really don’t know much about them, but I do know about the Bells district.   If Cooper competes for 2nd in that district why are they 17th in computer rankings and not getting any respect in top 10 from the pollsters?  If they could I would expect them to make a run this year in 2A.  Not saying it isn’t true but what am I missing?  

Calpreps has moved Cooper up to #9 in 2A-1, and they would be 10th in 3A-2. Teams they beat Like Grand Saline, Hooks, and Collinsville keep winning are ranked within a few points of first in their districts. Calpreps has them behind Gunter(1st) and Bells(5th), but they would be ahead of Edgewood(12th), West Rusk(13th), De Kalb(16), Grand Saline(17), and Hooks(18) in 3A-2.

Alright this week's match ups:

Boles vs HG big game for boles just not sure they have enough to knock off HG. Going HG 28 to 14.

RC vs AG absolutely huge game for both teams loser probably missing the playoffs. Give me AG 34 to 21 pulling away late.

CP vs WC como will continue their stranglehold on the last place position in the district. I'll go with WC 40 to 6.

40 minutes ago, HornetSenior said:

Calpreps has moved Cooper up to #9 in 2A-1, and they would be 10th in 3A-2. Teams they beat Like Grand Saline, Hooks, and Collinsville keep winning are ranked within a few points of first in their districts. Calpreps has them behind Gunter(1st) and Bells(5th), but they would be ahead of Edgewood(12th), West Rusk(13th), De Kalb(16), Grand Saline(17), and Hooks(18) in 3A-2.

Ok that’s what I thought you might be going off of.  Not that rankings matter, but wonder why Dave Campbell computer ranking is different.   West Rusk at 7 and Edgewood and GS at 21 and 27 in 3A d2.  Maybe WR vs GS will shed some light this week.  If WR is in the same league as GS 3A region 2 is solid with Bells, Holliday, and Gunter.  Not trying to highjack your 2A thread just thought it was an interesting overlap.   Good luck this year

23 minutes ago, SBDAD said:

Ok that’s what I thought you might be going off of.  Not that rankings matter, but wonder why Dave Campbell computer ranking is different.   West Rusk at 7 and Edgewood and GS at 21 and 27 in 3A d2.  Maybe WR vs GS will shed some light this week.  If WR is in the same league as GS 3A region 2 is solid with Bells, Holliday, and Gunter.  Not trying to highjack your 2A thread just thought it was an interesting overlap.   Good luck this year

Calpreps is updated already, DCTF wont update until around Tuesday. DCTF computer rankings uses PigskinPrep.com ratings in a parternship. PP is probably up to date, but i dont have a subscription.

Yeah Region 2 is toughest region. Holiday is ranked 3rd by Calpreps. Palmer(6th) beat GS 20-0. Comanche(8) and Jacksboro(11) also region 2. So Region 2 has 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, & 11 ranked teams according to Calpreps. GS District and Hooks District are both region 3 along with the Newton(2) District and Daingerfield(10) District.

1 hour ago, HornetSenior said:

Calpreps is updated already, DCTF wont update until around Tuesday. DCTF computer rankings uses PigskinPrep.com ratings in a parternship. PP is probably up to date, but i dont have a subscription.

Yeah Region 2 is toughest region. Holiday is ranked 3rd by Calpreps. Palmer(6th) beat GS 20-0. Comanche(8) and Jacksboro(11) also region 2. So Region 2 has 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, & 11 ranked teams according to Calpreps. GS District and Hooks District are both region 3 along with the Newton(2) District and Daingerfield(10) District.

That makes sense.  I noticed some people don’t have box scores listed either, so it must not account for that.  If a team is 50-0 in 1st half and game ends up 50-28 it would calculate the same as a 50-28 regular game.  

9 hours ago, supermaroon said:

Boles vs HG big game for boles just not sure they have enough to knock off HG. Going HG 28 to 14.

RC vs AG absolutely huge game for both teams loser probably missing the playoffs. Give me AG 34 to 21 pulling away late.

CP vs WC como will continue their stranglehold on the last place position in the district. I'll go with WC 40 to 6.

Boles could keep it close or HG could blow them out. Boles has troubling run blocking so they will need to pass more than they did vs AG to win. +40 carries and only passing on 3rd and +15 is not a winning formula for them. Boles  averaged only 4.2 or 4.3 per carry in every non-Overton/CP game, while averaging 10.3 yards per passing attempt(16.2/completion) since week 3 when they started running less Wildcat offense.

Penalties and turnovers have been killing Boles' offense all year, but when they play cleanly like in the second half versus Hawkins they are a way better team. It will take a mistake free game to outscore Honey Grove, but they haven hadn't a full clean game all year. They even lost 3 fumbles versus CP and didn't score in the 1st quarter.

Boles passed for 340 yards and ran for 126 vs Celeste, outgaining them 466 to 418 but couldn't overcome their own mistakes and only scored on 4 of 9 drives. 8-12 False Starts, an INT, & a fumble returned 99 yards for a TD were the only things that stopped their offense after a punt on the first drive. They converted multiple 3rd and 4th downs after penalties moved them back, but couldn't every time. 

Boles could lose this week and still make the playoffs if they beat WC and Rivercrest to finish 3-3 in District. Boles will likely be 3rd in any 3-way tie involving AG, so a 3rd straight District loss for AG this week would be very helpful to Boles' playoff chances.

7 hours ago, SBDAD said:

That makes sense.  I noticed some people don’t have box scores listed either, so it must not account for that.  If a team is 50-0 in 1st half and game ends up 50-28 it would calculate the same as a 50-28 regular game.  

Calpreps' Margin of Victory is maxed out at 30 points it 50-0 or 50-28 counts they same. They don't use blowout results in their ratings though unless the teams are rated within 30 points of each other. Rating is mostly avg of games with 1-29 margins.

The only think that I dont like is that margins of win/loss is moved to 15 if under that to reward wins more. A 15 point win and 1 point win shouldn't count as the same. I could agree with adjusting to 3-7 points but 15 is way too much. Strength of schedule is very important in their ratings.

On 10/9/2022 at 12:32 PM, supermaroon said:

I'll go with

HG 42 Boles 21

AG 28 RC 14

WC 41 CP 0

Edited by HornetSenior
  • Confused 1