Lufkin 2022 in a nutshell

Beat a below average Tyler legacy team (W)

Blasted a horrible Nacogdoches team (W) 

Handled a top 10 ranked (at that time) A&M consolidated squad on the road to start 3-0 (W) 

Ran off the field at home by rival Longview (By far the best team in the state in 5A IMO) (L) 

Didn’t get off the bus with much enthusiasm on the road in Forney in a game we badly needed to win (L) 

Struggled early at home to beat a below average North Mesquite team (W) 

Dominated for 3 qtrs up in McKinney before completely falling apart in a loss that doomed our playoff chances (L) 

Played around with, but finally took off against a very bad JT team (W) 

Somehow let a bad West Mesquite team come back after dominating early but held them off late  (W) 

Played by far the second best, If not the best game of the season in a close loss against Lancaster in an attempt to make the playoffs (Not that we got the help we needed anyways)  (L) 

6-4 (3-4) 5th place out of 8. 

Other than Longview, played our best games of the season against the good teams. Squeaked by in a couple that should’ve been blown wide open, didn’t decide to play football in Forney until we were down 3 TD’s, can’t do that on the road in a district game, and I still don’t know what happened up in McKinney. That’s the one that bit us hardest, as we knew that was a must win for 4th place. Overall, very up and down. Inconsistent. Some because of the youth of the team, some because of the O-line play, but the majority is due to the horrible coaching and scheming. Scott greens two best offensively called games all year were Consolidated and Lancaster. Imagine that. Everywhere in between looked like he didn’t even wanna try. 

I think PA told me 13 or 14 starters return next year with the rest of that 25 class coming up too. Problem is, Todd quick and company come back too 🤣

• Like 4

LoboFan84...

Once upon a time the Longview Lobos traveled out to

Lubbock,Texas to play Odessa Permian for a playoff game.

The year was 1975 and it was a 470 mile trip which saw the

Lobos fall 10-9 ! I was in the 6th grade (about to turn 12) !

I still remember that nearly 7 hour haul and was tough after that loss !

R.J.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Lufkin 2022 in a nutshell

Beat a below average Tyler legacy team (W)

Blasted a horrible Nacogdoches team (W) 

Handled a top 10 ranked (at that time) A&M consolidated squad on the road to start 3-0 (W) 

Ran off the field at home by rival Longview (By far the best team in the state in 5A IMO) (L) 

Didn’t get off the bus with much enthusiasm on the road in Forney in a game we badly needed to win (L) 

Struggled early at home to beat a below average North Mesquite team (W) 

Dominated for 3 qtrs up in McKinney before completely falling apart in a loss that doomed our playoff chances (L) 

Played around with, but finally took off against a very bad JT team (W) 

Somehow let a bad West Mesquite team come back after dominating early but held them off late  (W) 

Played by far the second best, If not the best game of the season in a close loss against Lancaster in an attempt to make the playoffs (Not that we got the help we needed anyways)  (L) 

6-4 (3-4) 5th place out of 8. 

Other than Longview, played our best games of the season against the good teams. Squeaked by in a couple that should’ve been blown wide open, didn’t decide to play football in Forney until we were down 3 TD’s, can’t do that on the road in a district game, and I still don’t know what happened up in McKinney. That’s the one that bit us hardest, as we knew that was a must win for 4th place. Overall, very up and down. Inconsistent. Some because of the youth of the team, some because of the O-line play, but the majority is due to the horrible coaching and scheming. Scott greens two best offensively called games all year were Consolidated and Lancaster. Imagine that. Everywhere in between looked like he didn’t even wanna try. 

I think PA told me 13 or 14 starters return next year with the rest of that 25 class coming up too. Problem is, Todd quick and company come back too 🤣

this would have been a great season for JT especially based on the past several yrs.

8 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

LoboFan84...

R.J.

I remember that game because my aunt flew on a chartered plane to that game and I was amazed by that. But, my dad and I listened to it on the radio and he was hollering at the radio the whole time. I would make that haul now, but back then most people didn't travel like that. 

• Like 2

Lufkin junior QB Tj Hammond exited the game last night with what we all originally though was a leg injury, come to find out is a pretty extensive neck injury. He is currently at Texas childrens in Houston after being transported last night. Praying for TJ and his family. 

• Prayers 3
  • Wow 1

15 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Lufkin junior QB Tj Hammond exited the game last night with what we all originally though was a leg injury, come to find out is a pretty extensive neck injury. He is currently at Texas childrens in Houston after being transported last night. Praying for TJ and his family. 

Oh wow. Sending thoughts and all positive vibes his way. That’s horrible.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

12 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

LoboFan84...

R.J.

One of the players on that team, Bobby Hunt, gave me some game film reels from that season that Coach Cox had given him. It had a few plays from that Permian game including Russel Wheatley's 62-yard field goal in the 2nd quarter. And then Longview getting called for "Illegal Lineman Downfield" despite no linemen being downfield that would've given Longview 1st and goal. 

Then of course Russel Wheatley missed like 3 kicks the next week against Port Neches Groves and PNG won the state title. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

One of the players on that team, Bobby Hunt, gave me some game film reels from that season that Coach Cox had given him. It had a few plays from that Permian game including Russel Wheatley's 62-yard field goal in the 2nd quarter. And then Longview getting called for "Illegal Lineman Downfield" despite no linemen being downfield that would've given Longview 1st and goal. 

Then of course Russel Wheatley missed like 3 kicks the next week against Port Neches Groves and PNG won the state title. 

Man, we gotta get that complete Permian-Longview game on YouTube. All I can find are brief, low-res excerpts. 

• Like 1

Nice find there Mr. P !! That game will always "live" forever as one of the greatest games in Texas High School Playoff history !

Although our Lobos came out on the losing end, largely because of that unbelievable "Mojo" FG and a Longview missed extra point the nice sized Longview fan contingent that traveled to Lubbock was the precursor to "modern day" Lobo Nation !

I recall such Lobo great players such as QB Lewellyn Fambies, RB Leo McCoy, TE Gil Harris, C Randy Swisher &  G Steve Brabham ! 

Adding to the plethora of Lobo Defensive studs such as DT Hosea Taylor, DE Henry Lee Williams, Safety Elvis Bradley, CB's Thomas Cook and  Johnny Fuller (who doubled as an extraordinary Punt Return man ! 

Several of those aforementioned would play (as well as Star) in College at Texas and U of H !! It was definitely a good time to be a young fan from Longview, Texas !! 

R.J.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Man, we gotta get that complete Permian-Longview game on YouTube. All I can find are brief, low-res excerpts. 

That was the film given to me by Bobby Hunt. 

It was Bobby Hunt filming a projector that Doug Cox was playing. Don't know if Cox still has the complete game film.

I'd like to see the Conroe game at the Astrodome. Longview won 14-13 on a missed extra point by Conroe. Were behind on penetrations, I believe.

Edited by JohnnyFootball
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyJohnson said:

Nice find there Mr. P !! That game will always "live" forever as one of the greatest games in Texas High School Playoff history !

Although our Lobos came out on the losing end, largely because of that unbelievable "Mojo" FG and a Longview missed extra point the nice sized Longview fan contingent that traveled to Lubbock was the precursor to "modern day" Lobo Nation !

I recall such Lobo great players such as QB Lewellyn Fambies, RB Leo McCoy, TE Gil Harris, C Randy Swisher &  G Steve Brabham ! 

Adding to the plethora of Lobo Defensive studs such as DT Hosea Taylor, DE Henry Lee Williams, Safety Elvis Bradley, CB's Thomas Cook and  Johnny Fuller (who doubled as an extraordinary Punt Return man ! 

Several of those aforementioned would play (as well as Star) in College at Texas and U of H !! It was definitely a good time to be a young fan from Longview, Texas !! 

R.J.

Hosea Taylor was a MAN. He held the shotput record at LHS til the early 2010s. Still might. 

His son Stacy was a couple years older than me and a guard on that strong 02 team that went to the semi finals. 

• Like 2

What I am about to say may come as a shock to some. But to those who know me know this is what I do. I will be going to the Longview game next week. Are the tickets being sold online only or can you walk up to the gate and purchase them?

2 minutes ago, VonG said:

What I am about to say may come as a shock to some. But to those who know me know this is what I do. I will be going to the Longview game next week. Are the tickets being sold online only or can you walk up to the gate and purchase them?

Usually walk up best get there early it's playoffs season now,line gonna be nuts for tickets these next six weeks(hopefully) 

1 hour ago, VonG said:

hmmmm....smh.

26 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

hmmmm....smh.

Lol. Just because Tisd schools season is over. Football is still being played. I'm a football fan and I will continue seeing games until the last game is played. I wanted to go watch Chapel Hill but they are playing in Houston. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VonG said:

Longview refuses to get with the times with the online ticket sales. You should be able to walk up and get tickets. Can't imagine the game selling out at all.

Barbers Hill and New Caney Porter tied at 7 late first quarter.

If Barbers Hill wins in any fashion, Longview will face Crosby and Barbers Hill would head to Lancaster.

If New Caney Porter wins by more than 9, Longview will face Crosby and New Caney Porter would head to Lancaster.

If New Caney Porter wins by 3-9, Longview will face New Caney Porter and Crosby would head to Lancaster.

If New Caney Porter wins by 1 or 2, Longview will face Barbers Hill and Crosby would head to Lancaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VonG said:

I hate online tickets. I'm tired of paying taxes and fees on tickets for high school games. 🤣 Tisd pissed me off. What's the use of remodeling your stadium with up to date ticket booths and not using them.

I think I will check Carthage out. 

51 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Barbers Hill and New Caney Porter tied at 7 late first quarter.

If Barbers Hill wins in any fashion, Longview will face Crosby and Barbers Hill would head to Lancaster.

If New Caney Porter wins by more than 9, Longview will face Crosby and New Caney Porter would head to Lancaster.

If New Caney Porter wins by 3-9, Longview will face New Caney Porter and Crosby would head to Lancaster.

If New Caney Porter wins by 1 or 2, Longview will face Barbers Hill and Crosby would head to Lancaster.

I want Longview to get Crosby so bad lol