Texas High v Arkansas High Series Dead

bordertown

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Reason?  Just curious.

I'm really not in favor of Marshall playing a 4A school overall.....but... when the 4A is Carthage.... well.... that's a different story.

Carthage beat Crosby last season...and Crosby went 4 round deep in 5A Div II.  They will probably be 6A in 2024.

PG is no slouch.  No.... they aren't Carthage.  But they aren't a slouch.

My personal opinion is two fold:

1) PG’s offense is not played by our district opponents. Unless we are playing Liberty Hill in the State Championship game, it is rare at 5A level.

2) Where do you play the game? You play it at Grim every year, which could accommodate the game? I doubt PG would agree. Does PG agree to make Razorback Stadium their home field to accommodate Texas High fans? Hawk stadium seats 3500 and I would estimate the Visitors side has 500 capacity and limited parking. Simply put they cannot accommodate an in town game. 

Agree with the comments.   Why would Stanford play PG?   Texas High gets nothing out of winning and is expected to win.   On the stadium site, the game would have to played at Grim every year because of the lack of seating at PG.   With that said we will not have to worry about any of it.   Best of luck to both teams next year.   

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 5:18 PM, bordertown said:

While the door was left open by Texas High for the future, I suspect a change in coaches at one school will be necessary. Sad development for the greater Texarkana community. Not sure if it’s much of a surprise after AHS cancelled the game in 2021. Going to be hard to find 4 games in a reasonable proximity.

https://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/2022/feb/03/breaking-arkansas-high-texas-high-football-game/

Circumstances created by the UIL and AAA made it next to impossible for Texas High and Arkansas High to play the next two seasons.

48 minutes ago, Texlov said:

Circumstances created by the UIL and AAA made it next to impossible for Texas High and Arkansas High to play the next two seasons.

Not sure what you are referring to and I hope you would explain. AAA & UIL have historically realigned on different schedules (as do the Louisiana schools). Arkansas has begun their season one week later and the states have different playing rules. These are nothing new. What is the new rub that makes the game impossible? School is NE Texas & SW Arkansas have traditionally played each other.

14 hours ago, RogerDorn said:

I would like to see pg/thigh game. Idk if it will ever happen. Both teams have a chance to be pretty good the next fees years  it would fun to watch. 

I would like to see it also.  Logistics definately a problem.     

I can see Texas High's reasoning not wanting to play a funky offense (Kennedale ran us off the field with it a few years ago). It is just something you don't see much.  It is just interesting to me how we used to be the "bad actors" in town but now that PG has embraced open enrollment everything has just changed 180. But I like it.   Kids should play where they wish.   

PG-Texas High would be much more completitive year in and year our than Texas-Arkansas.     But it will never have that feel or that mystique.

• Like 1

I think Stanford called PG to play this year but they refused to play TH i heard from someone in the know!  PG better stay away from them they will get hammerd year in and year out! Numbers make a big difference especially if they are pretty  good.

2 hours ago, WhyUMad said:

I think Stanford called PG to play this year but they refused to play TH i heard from someone in the know!  PG better stay away from them they will get hammerd year in and year out! Numbers make a big difference especially if they are pretty  good.

Wrong. Gibson messaged Stanford. Stanford has refused to play. THigh should and would win the majority of the time. However, some years PG would be the better team. It is not like PG isn’t playing schools larger than them. They have Frisco Memorial and Byrd this year that are similar in size to THigh.

It really doesn’t matter who called whom. Unless PG expands its visitor side seating, they don’t have the capacity to host Texas High. I seriously doubt PG would agree to playing all games at Grim even if they were Home team and all the responsibilities that entails. It is probably the reason that they don’t schedule Arkansas High (now a similar sized student body). Don’t get me wrong, Hawk stadium is a nice venue. Probably fine hosting most out of town teams, but suspect it is problematic hosting LE and several 4A teams that travel well. I suspect it seats 500 on the visitor side.

07A293F0-0B30-4107-AEFB-650A6F74A0D0.png

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

It really doesn’t matter who called whom. Unless PG expands its visitor side seating, they don’t have the capacity to host Texas High. I seriously doubt PG would agree to playing all games at Grim even if they were Home team and all the responsibilities that entails. It is probably the reason that they don’t schedule Arkansas High (now a similar sized student body). Don’t get me wrong, Hawk stadium is a nice venue. Probably fine hosting most out of town teams, but suspect it is problematic hosting LE and several 4A teams that travel well. I suspect it seats 500 on the visitor side.

07A293F0-0B30-4107-AEFB-650A6F74A0D0.png

PG has had no problem hosting teams. It would definitely be tight with T High.  AR High will not play PG. It has nothing to do with seating. When AR High did play at PG they did not have a large crowd. I will add Atlanta always had one of the largest crowds to visit PG. 

Hence the problem, PG believes they can host approximately 2000 (conservative) paid spectators, a 125 member band, 25 dance squad, & 30 pep squad in a stadium designed for 500 to 750 for visitors with limited parking. Atlanta is a 3A school, PG is a 4AD2, and Texarkana is a large 5AD2 school whose boundary is across the street from the stadium. I posted the picture to illustrate the issue of Texas High playing football at Hawk Stadium. It is fine for soccer. So “IF” PG contacted Texas High about playing a home & home, I understand why they declined the offer. 

• Like 2

When a Gilmer or a Carthage has played at P G since the stadium was built, I would imagine a lot of fans don't make the trip because of the stadium size. Thought being, I am not driving an hour and a half and have to stand the whole game from the end zone - not every fan is 25 years old and in perfect health to be able to stand for 3+ hours 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swaha said:

PG has had no problem hosting teams. It would definitely be tight with T High.  AR High will not play PG. It has nothing to do with seating. When AR High did play at PG they did not have a large crowd. I will add Atlanta always had one of the largest crowds to visit PG. 

When Carthage came to town that was a problem.

29 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

When Carthage came to town that was a problem.

I guess you are referring to 2019 game. As far as the 2019 game, it was a big crowd. I am sure it was an inconvenience in some ways for some people. Until PG expands the seating on the visitor’s side, there will always be some inconvenience for some fans. When the stadium was built, PG was playing teams such as LK, Hooks, and New Boston. PGISD does what they can to accommodate larger fan bases. PG has Frisco Memorial at home this year and they have 1,600 kids in HS. Next year they have CE Byrd at home which has around that same amount. 

I think you are slowly coming around to understanding the stadium issue. I am certain PG “tries” to accommodate visiting fan bases. Two fan bases that have to travel 80 and 100 miles have indicated the visitor side was problematic. Frisco Memorial is a 3 hour drive to Texarkana. I suspect their fan base will be limited to band, cheer squads, players parents, and a handful of interested supporters. I suspect the Byrd crowd will slightly smaller than Carthage. Distance a fan base has to travel impacts how many fans will follow a team during the regular season. Playoffs are a different story. Texas High v PG will attract a visitor crowd equal to Gilmer & Carthage combined. I guess you could designate Mt Pleasant as the home stadium.

38 minutes ago, bordertown said:

I think you are slowly coming around to understanding the stadium issue. I am certain PG “tries” to accommodate visiting fan bases. Two fan bases that have to travel 80 and 100 miles have indicated the visitor side was problematic. Frisco Memorial is a 3 hour drive to Texarkana. I suspect their fan base will be limited to band, cheer squads, players parents, and a handful of interested supporters. I suspect the Byrd crowd will slightly smaller than Carthage. Distance a fan base has to travel impacts how many fans will follow a team during the regular season. Playoffs are a different story. Texas High v PG will attract a visitor crowd equal to Gilmer & Carthage combined. I guess you could designate Mt Pleasant as the home stadium.

First of all, I really don’t care if PG and THigh ever play. It’s not that big of a deal to me like it is to some. I find it ironic that people always bring up the size of the stadium. I have been in the stadium since day 1. I understand the lack of accommodation to larger fan bases. I have yet to hear of an opposing school turning down a game with PG because their fans may be somewhat inconvenienced. Maybe some coaches schedule games based on that thought process, but I seriously doubt it. I know Gibson doesn’t. I have driven by Mt Pleasant and S Springs on more than one occasion on the way to the Star...when one of those two venues would be more convenient to the fans.

29 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Am I the only one that thinks home field advantage should be a thing?

I agree completely. Each stadium has it’s own unique characteristics. Some are good and some are less desirable. As far as PG’s stadium, if you are coming from a large fan base that travels well, then you may not have a bleacher seat. You may have to stand against the railing around the concourse or sit on the berm. If that is an inconvenience, then more than likely the game is being streamed on Texarkana Gameday. 

On 2/6/2022 at 8:52 AM, swaha said:

Wrong. Gibson messaged Stanford. Stanford has refused to play. 

Since you seem to be in the know, what was the offer? Was there any discussion on how & where the series would occur? Was there a specific date date or was it open ended to any of the pre-district dates. Was PG’s stadium discussed?

I think I'll add this string of insider knowledge posts  about who chose not to play who to the long list of very questionable "in the know" posts you find on fan forums.  I am really quite skeptical of comments that PG wanted to play TH, but Stanford said no, or TH wanted to play PG, but Gibson said no.