2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

Carthage is showing that the Marshall/Carthage game will be at Maverick Stadium in 2022. 

If this is correct, that would mean the Mavs have 6 games games this coming season.

It will also mean three consecutive home games Vs. Henderson, Carthage, and Pine Tree.

• 3 weeks later...

A little odd how quiet everyone is this season.  Lots of uncertainty I guess.

New coach for MP, PT, and Marshall.  Whitehouse and Hallsville coaches enter their 2nd season.  

Rumblings of change at Nac seems to have passed.  Texas High remains stable.

--------------------

Coach Alvarez has named his OC and DC

Jake Willingham- OC

Hunter Ashley- DC

They both come from Cuero.   They were 13-2 last season.

Mavs are expected to be more active with 7 on 7 than we were with coach G.  I know when Mathis was here we were very active in 7 on 7.  Looks like we will return to something like that from what I'm being told.  

More news as it comes.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of good vibes coming from the Mav field house this spring. Drills will be getting started soon.

Coach G brought some much needed discipline back to the program in his time here.  Sounds like coach Alvarez is going to take that to an even higher level.  Kids are really responding, which is great to hear.  You never know how things can go in transition. 

Participation is high… the track team is having a strong season. The powerlifting team had another great year. 

New coaches and trainers are settling in and (from what Im hearing) things are going amazingly smooth.  Sounds like we will keep some of Griedl’s staff intact. Always a good thing. 

Alvarez will be meeting with the football boosters April 19th. Pretty excited about it.

I was a little meh about this wing T thing.  But this isn’t Allen Wilsons Wing T. This is still going to be the balanced attack Marshall is known for…. But with a different look. 

Couple of things overheard…

He told the MJHS 7th graders he would be be here when they graduated.  Hope so… if he is… it would be the longest we’ve had a coach since Bill Harper.

Comment on the Wing T was…. You don’t have a 2800 yard passer and two 1000 yard WRs running old school wing T. 

I like the openess and excitement about it all. I’m pretty excited.   Finally might take the next step forward. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Lots of good vibes coming from the Mav field house this spring. Drills will be getting started soon.

Coach G brought some much needed discipline back to the program in his time here.  Sounds like coach Alvarez is going to take that to an even higher level.  Kids are really responding, which is great to hear.  You never know how things can go in transition. 

Participation is high… the track team is having a strong season. The powerlifting team had another great year. 

New coaches and trainers are settling in and (from what Im hearing) things are going amazingly smooth.  Sounds like we will keep some of Griedl’s staff intact. Always a good thing. 

Alvarez will be meeting with the football boosters April 19th. Pretty excited about it.

I was a little meh about this wing T thing.  But this isn’t Allen Wilsons Wing T. This is still going to be the balanced attack Marshall is known for…. But with a different look. 

He told the MJHS 7th graders he would be be here when they graduated.  Hope so… if he is… it would be the longest we’ve had a coach since Bill Harper.

Comment on the Wing T was…. You don’t have a 2800 yard passer and two 1000 yard WRs running old school wing T. 

I like the openess and excitement about it all. I’m pretty excited.   Finally might take the next step forward. 

I'm looking forward to our game with ya'll. Will  be a good first game test for Tyler high. We return alot this season across the board. 

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I am telling you man...if he gets the participation stronger and conditioning better than Griedl had it, then the sky is the limit....is offense is going to aggravate the living heck out of your district...can't wait to see it on the field.

7 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

I'm looking forward to our game with ya'll. Will  be a good first game test for Tyler high. We return alot this season across the board. 

I’ll have more info in the next few weeks…. But I’m estimating we will have 8 returning on each side of the ball.  Some may not have started in September… but became starters as the season went on.  We had a serious injury bug last season. 

I’ll have names and positions coming soon. 

A couple of kids that belong to Marshall will be returning home from Hallsville and EF this season.  Always good to see. 

Good number of starters from an area round team from last year.  A team that never had a defined offensive identity due to so many injuries to QBs, OL, WRs etc.   Defense was our strength.  Offense just never got rolling last season.  The D had to drag us to victory kicking and screaming several times (PT, MP, Rudder). 

If the defense picks up where it left off and the offense actually finds itself this season….. we could be fun to watch. 

All that being said…. (1-3) isn’t out of the question to start the season  given our schedule with Tyler, Longview, and Carthage.   But if we can hang close like we did with the Lobos last season…. I’ll take it as progress. A win in any of those three would be thrilling. 

Pretty stoked. 

4 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I am telling you man...if he gets the participation stronger and conditioning better than Griedl had it, then the sky is the limit....is offense is going to aggravate the living heck out of your district...can't wait to see it on the field.

Numbers have been inching up for the last several years.  So that’s a plus. We even managed some 9th grade B games when the opposing teams have the numbers for it. 

Enrollment has slowly increased the last 2 years… reversing a slow downward trend for the last decade+.   MJHS numbers are up.  MHS will likely top 1500 this fall for the first time since 2010ish. 

Pearl is there for the taking.  Lots of excitement around coach A.  Great to see. 

26 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

early but 3 maybe all 4 of same teams make playoffs imo. 

I agree.   Hallsville is the wildcard IMHO.  If they can find a defense..... they could take a playoff spot from Nac or MP.

I honestly don't know what Nac or MP have coming back.  Nac limped into the playoffs last season....MP was better than their record showed, but how much do they return in 2022?

Texas High is the heavyweight as always.

Marshall....IMHO.... depends on how quick the new offense comes together.  Our offense was pretty anemic last season and the defense dragged us to victory more than once.  Could be more of the same in 2022 if the new offense flounders.  BUT.... if the new offense takes off.... could be fun.

Pine Tree.....after 2020 I thought they had finally turned the corner....but after last season's debacle......and now another coaching change.....who knows?  Looks and feels a lot like the Pine Tree we have all come to know and love.

Whitehouse.... had a disastrous season and they have lost their QB this offseason..... they are a huge question mark.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree.   Hallsville is the wildcard IMHO.  If they can find a defense..... they could take a playoff spot from Nac or MP.

I honestly don't know what Nac or MP have coming back.  Nac limped into the playoffs last season....MP was better than their record showed, but how much do they return in 2022?

Texas High is the heavyweight as always.

Marshall....IMHO.... depends on how quick the new offense comes together.  Our offense was pretty anemic last season and the defense dragged us to victory more than once.  Could be more of the same in 2022 if the new offense flounders.  BUT.... if the new offense takes off.... could be fun.

Pine Tree.....after 2020 I thought they had finally turned the corner....but after last season's debacle......and now another coaching change.....who knows?  Looks and feels a lot like the Pine Tree we have all come to know and love.

Whitehouse.... had a disastrous season and they have lost their QB this offseason..... they are a huge question mark.

Nac. only lost 12 seniors off of last years team and only 3 of those were starters. Nac. has a very talented middle school group coming and they are also the largest group Nac. has had coming up in the last 8 years. Nac will also have Braxton Jones returning this year after a Knee Injury cost him the entire season last year. Jones was ranked in the top 15 for linebackers in the state. They are returning all of their skilled position players on offense and 3 of the 5 lineman. Nac also returns the bulk of their defense including standout WR/S De'Marea Weaver.  

MP and PT have also had coaching changes in the offseason. 

Hallsville is team I think could get in. MP lost a lot + new coach . Same with PT . Whitehouse no idea.  Nac and T High have played some good games past 2 years can’t count them out but would think Marshall/ texas high play for DC like last year. 

My early predictions without much info on each team looks like this:

Texas High-  They are the champs till they aren't.  They haven't faltered in the last two seasons.... no idea what all they have coming back.....but they have the most stable staff in the district and clearly loaded to the teeth with athletes year in and year out.

Marshall-  If the defense has to save the day every game again this season, they could drop into the pack with Hallsville and Nac.  BUT...if the offense comes around this season... with that defense...we may actually challenge Texarkana.  Just boils down to this new offense IMHO.

Hallsville/Nac-   Nac has had defense...and struggled offensively.  Hallsville has had offense...and struggled defensively.  Whichever one develops the best will likely determine which one gets the #3 and which gets the #4 seed.  If either shores up their weakness....they could challenge Marshall for the #2 slot.

Mount Pleasant- I'm not 100% on this pick.  MP has been on the upward tick the last few years.  But low numbers continue to plague them.  They are losing a lot of players from last years playoff team... a team that was just 1-2 plays from stealing the #2 slot from Marshall.  New coach..... loss of playmakers..... makes me unsure of the Tigers.

Whitehouse/Pine Tree-  Both playoff teams in 2020, they each had disastrous seasons in 2021 plagued with poor defensive play and inconsistent offensive play.  WH lost most of their OL from last season along with their stud WR and their QB.   PT is just a huge question mark all the way around.  Their stud RB will be gone.  Top WR will be gone.  Talented QB returning.  

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

7-5A

Crandall

Denison

Greenville

Lucas LoveJoy

Melissa

Mesquite Poteet

Princeton

Terrell

Lovejoy be hard for anyone to beat.  Had quite a few in 2024 class on field this year. I know couple already with p12 offers. 
 gotta go with poteet,Lovejoy, Melissa denison/Crandall In November. Been a couple years since  Princeton or Terrell have had winnin seasons. 

21 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

Lovejoy be hard for anyone to beat.  Had quite a few in 2024 class on field this year. I know couple already with p12 offers. 
 gotta go with poteet,Lovejoy, Melissa denison/Crandall In November. Been a couple years since  Princeton or Terrell have had winnin seasons. 

What's your opinion on Terrell? Tyler High scrimmages them this year. 

5 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

What's your opinion on Terrell? Tyler High scrimmages them this year. 

I know they have a 6’5 Olineman that has some offers but that’s about it. I think it was coaches first year this past season . They were in 4a d2 with argyle Paris Melissa district . 

• Like 1

21 season Whitehouse played Texas high last week of season at 9-0 ...PT went in to playoffs  9-1 didn’t think last season would go that way for either  .. PT DE Evans is ranked high in his class but not sure about what else they bring back. 

t high lost a lot , but offense still pretty talented with all wrs coming back #10 from last year would think plays Qb, better athlete than mchenry but hard to replace qb that’s played for 3 years. Defense who knows. DT only players comes back. 

Coach Alvarez is quietly building a fantastic staff. 

Jason Hammett is coming from Copperas Cove to join the staff. He will be the new assistant AD. He will also be the Tight Ends coach. 

Jake Willingham is the OC… he was the OC at Cuero. 

Hunter Ashley (I think) will be the DC… same as he was in Cuero. 

Huntet McEachern is the WR.  From DeSoto and Cuero. 

Mason Hite for OL and S&C 

Coach Randle and several others from Griedl’s have stayed. 

Lots of excitement around town.   Reminds me a lot of 2018. 

• Like 1