2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

• 3 weeks later...

Still have the scrimmage to nail down for Whitehouse.

I have the locations of all the games posted with the exception of MP's games.

Aug 19 (Scrimmages)
Texas High Vs. Longview
Marshall Vs. Tyler Legacy
Mount Pleasant Vs. Greenville
Chapel Hill Vs. Hallsville (Thursday)
Pine Tree Vs Gilmer (Thursday)
Nacogdoches Vs. Henderson
Whitehouse Vs. ????

Aug 26 
Tyler Vs. Marshall
Nacogdoches Vs. Palestine
North Forney Vs. Whitehouse
Texas High Vs. Lone Star
Van Vs. Pine Tree
Hallsville Vs. Terrell

Pittsburgh Vs. Mt Pleasant

Sep 02 
Marshall Vs. Longview
Nacogdoches Vs. Lufkin
Whitehouse Vs. Jacksonville
Texas High Vs. Colleyville Heritage (Neutral Location)
Pine Tree Vs. Lindale
Henderson Vs. Hallsville

Mount Pleasant Vs. Sulphur Springs

Sep 09
Henderson Vs. Marshall
Texas High Vs. Benton
Nacogdoches Vs. Lumberton
Corsicana Vs. Whitehouse
Pine Tree Vs. Kilgore
Sulphur Springs Vs. Hallsville 
Liberty Eylau Vs. Mt Pleasant

Sep 16 
Carthage Vs. Marshall
Tyler Legacy Vs. Texas High
Chapel Hill Vs. Nacogdoches
Whitehouse Vs. Henderson
Jacksonville Vs. Pine Tree
Hallsville Vs. Kilgore

Mt. Pleasant Vs. Frisco Emerson (Thursday)

Sep 23 
Pine Tree Vs. Marshall
Hallsville Vs. Texas High
Whitehouse  Vs. Nacogdoches
Mt Pleasant- Bye

Sep 30 
Marshall Vs. Hallsville
Texas High Vs. Mt Pleasant
Nacogdoches Vs. Pine Tree
Whitehouse- Bye

Oct 07 
Mount Pleasant Vs. Marshall
Pine Tree Vs. Whitehouse
Hallsville Vs. Nacogdoches
Texas High- Bye

Oct 14 
Marshall Vs. Texas High
Whitehouse Vs. Hallsville
Nacogdoches Vs. Mount Pleasant
Pine Tree- Bye

Oct 21 
Texas High Vs. Nacogdoches
Mt Pleasant Vs. Whitehouse
Hallsville Vs. Pine Tree 
Marshall- Bye

Oct 28
Nacogdoches Vs. Marshall
Whitehouse Vs. Texas High
Pine Tree Vs. Mt Pleasant
Hallsville- Bye

Nov 04 
Texas High Vs. Pine Tree
Marshall Vs. Whitehouse
Mt Pleasant Vs. Hallsville
Nacogdoches- Bye

On 5/6/2022 at 1:29 PM, Mavchamp said:

Still have a couple of scrimmages to nail down from Nac and Whitehouse

I have the locations of all the games posted with the exception of MP.  Seems to be a well-kept secret.

Aug 19 (Scrimmages)
Texas High Vs. Longview
Nacogdoches Vs. ????
Whitehouse Vs. ????

Aug 26 
Tyler Vs. Marshall
Texas High Vs. Lone Star
Van Vs. Pine Tree
Hallsville Vs. Terrell

Mt. Pleasant Vs. Pittsburgh (Loc?)

Sep 02 
Marshall Vs. Longview
Nacogdoches Vs. Lufkin
Pine Tree Vs. Lindale
Henderson Vs. Hallsville

Sulphur Springs Vs. Mount Pleasant (Loc)

Sep 09
Henderson Vs. Marshall
Texas High Vs. Benton
Corsicana Vs. Whitehouse
Pine Tree Vs. Kilgore
Mt Pleasant Vs. Liberty Eylau (Loc?)

Sep 16 
Carthage Vs. Marshall
Whitehouse Vs. Henderson
Hallsville Vs. Kilgore

Mt. Pleasant Vs. Frisco Emerson (Loc?)

Sep 23 
Pine Tree Vs. Marshall
Mt Pleasant- Bye

Sep 30 
Marshall Vs. Hallsville
Whitehouse- Bye

Oct 07 
Pine Tree Vs. Whitehouse
Texas High- Bye

Oct 14 
Marshall Vs. Texas High
Mt Pleasant Vs. Nacogdoches (Loc?)
Pine Tree- Bye

Oct 21 
Hallsville Vs. Pine Tree 
Marshall- Bye

Oct 28
Nacogdoches Vs. Marshall
Hallsville- Bye

Nov 04 
Texas High Vs. Pine Tree
Marshall Vs. Whitehouse
Mt Pleasant Vs. Hallsville (Loc?)
Nacogdoches- Bye

Nac Vs MP on Oct 14th is in MP.

On 5/6/2022 at 1:29 PM, Mavchamp said:

Still have a couple of scrimmages to nail down from Nac and Whitehouse

I have the locations of all the games posted with the exception of MP.  Seems to be a well-kept secret.

Aug 19 (Scrimmages)
Texas High Vs. Longview
Nacogdoches Vs. ????
Whitehouse Vs. ????

Aug 26 
Tyler Vs. Marshall
Texas High Vs. Lone Star
Van Vs. Pine Tree
Hallsville Vs. Terrell

Mt. Pleasant Vs. Pittsburgh (Loc?)

Sep 02 
Marshall Vs. Longview
Nacogdoches Vs. Lufkin
Pine Tree Vs. Lindale
Henderson Vs. Hallsville

Sulphur Springs Vs. Mount Pleasant (Loc)

Sep 09
Henderson Vs. Marshall
Texas High Vs. Benton
Corsicana Vs. Whitehouse
Pine Tree Vs. Kilgore
Mt Pleasant Vs. Liberty Eylau (Loc?)

Sep 16 
Carthage Vs. Marshall
Whitehouse Vs. Henderson
Hallsville Vs. Kilgore

Mt. Pleasant Vs. Frisco Emerson (Loc?)

Sep 23 
Pine Tree Vs. Marshall
Mt Pleasant- Bye

Sep 30 
Marshall Vs. Hallsville
Whitehouse- Bye

Oct 07 
Pine Tree Vs. Whitehouse
Texas High- Bye

Oct 14 
Marshall Vs. Texas High
Nacogdoches Vs. Mount Pleasant
Pine Tree- Bye

Oct 21 
Hallsville Vs. Pine Tree 
Marshall- Bye

Oct 28
Nacogdoches Vs. Marshall
Hallsville- Bye

Nov 04 
Texas High Vs. Pine Tree
Marshall Vs. Whitehouse
Mt Pleasant Vs. Hallsville (Loc?)
Nacogdoches- Bye

Nac will scrimmage Henderson at their place

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else having spring ball?   I know MP isn't....so I wouldn't expect much from them.  But surely someone else in the district is having spring drills.

It's oddly quiet from everyone on here compared to last season.

So many question marks going into this season....for everyone really.

Texas High-   By far the most stable staff the last 2-3 seasons.  The Tigers are the two time defending district champions.  They have some key peices returning, but also some key peices to replace.  Will they be as good as 2021?  As always... the Tigers will be strong defensively it sounds like.... the question is the offense, which still retains lots of fire power from last season... particularly in the running game.  The biggest question will be their defense... which has been outstanding the last couple of years...propelling them to back to back deep playoff runs.  The importance of stability can't be overstated either.  It's huge.  It will be interesting to see how the Tigers fill the gaps this season.

Marshall-  The Mavs have a ton of starters returning from last season's bi-district champion team.  If I'm counting right.... I'm seeing 8 returning starters on offense and 7 on defense (possibly 8... depends on how one kid lands with his parents and family moving).  The biggest news:  A new head coach (AGAIN). That means new offense.  New defense.  Changing systems can be touch and go; but everything has been pretty positive this spring.  The Mavs will likely hand over the QB spot to Jr. Slone... who started the New Caney and Longview games last year.  He moved to the back up position during the Longview game... and returned late in the season due to QB injury where he showed GREAT improvement.  JQ Davis will return as one of the top RB's in the district.  The success of the 2022 season could boil down to how quickly the new offense Jack Alvarez is installing gels together.  If it comes together quickly..... coupled with this defense... it could be special.  If the offense is slow to gel.... we could see a slow rocky start for the Mavs with the likes of Tyler, Longview, and Carthage to open the season.

Nacogdoches-  The Dragons kind of backed in to the playoffs last season in spite of getting blown out in the regular season finale Vs. Marshall.  They were inconsistent last season.... especially on offense.  The defense had flashes of brilliance....  but their offense consistently put their defense in some impossible situations.  If the offense can come around... the Dragons could make some serious noise.  BUT.... if the offense does what it did last season...I think we see the up and down roller coaster again this year that we saw last year.  I haven't seen numbers... but from what I hear the Dragons... like Texas High and Marshall.... will be returning a large number of their starters from last season.  That's generally a good thing...especailly if those returning players show they are stronger and smarter than they were last season.  Hard to imagine Nac not being in the playoff chase.  They most definitely have the horses to make a run.

Hallsville- The Bobcats statistically had the best offense in the district last season.  Unfortunately.... they also  the worst defense.  Hallsville had no trouble scoring in big bushels last year using a wide open passing attack that was lighting up the scoreboard.   Their defense however was giving up BIGGER bushels of points.  Hallsville was averaging almost 40 points per game on offense... but their defense was giving up almost 45.  If the Bobcats can get some semblance of defense in 2022.... they could make trouble for some teams.  They could without a doubt be a dark horse for the playoffs.  They gave Texas High fits last season.... but they surprisingly struggled in games that TBH... they SHOULD have won and just didn't.  I suspect they will be much more competitive this season.  Just a question of.... will they be competitive enough to get in?

Pine Tree-  Some prognosticators last season predicted there would little to no drop-off for the Pirates after having to replace Mr. World Athlete DJ Freeman.  I just couldn't see how they WOULDN'T struggle after losing a generational player like him.  As it turned out..... they struggled even more than I had imagined.  I still thought PT was a playoff contender headed into the season.... even without DJ.   As the season wore on however.... the Pirates just never got any offensive rhythm going.  Their defense was constantly having to battle atrocious field position caused by offensive miscues.  If PT continues to struggle with the offense in 2022.... I see more of what we saw in 2021.  Not to mention... they need to rebuild a defense that was actually pretty good last season in spite of how the season went down.  Pine Tree is a huge question mark for me.  GENERALLY... PT is loaded with athletes... but it doesn't always add up to wins for them.  Which PT will we see in 2022?  The 2021 version with contributors all over the field... or same ole PT?

Mount Pleasant-   The Tigers could have easily been a 7-2 team last season.  Letting teams off the hook VERY LATE in the fourth quarter was their achilles heel.  The Tigers have a bevy of returning starters from last year's playoff squad.  I'm also hearing reports of big numbers participating in football over the spring.  This is HUGE for MP because lack of depth has been a major issue for them for more than a decade.  With the influx of new players... and returning starters.... it's hard not to take MP very seriously for the district race.  The biggest question is... how quickly will the players adapt to the new offensive and defense schemes brought in by the new coaching staff.  Like Marshall... this team has the peices to be a formidable opponent.  It may come down to how quickly things get going with the new systems.  Tigers could be tough in 2022.

Whitehouse-  To say 2021 was a disaster for the Wildcats would be a major understatement.  They were coming off another playoff season... and had plenty of offensive peices returning.  Defense has generally been their downfall.  But last year the offense uncharacteristically struggled.  They used a two QB system most of the year... and neither of them really had spectacular seasons.  And now...one of them has transferred out.  It will be interesting to see how they react to the change.  Not to mention they have to replace several peices from last years team on offense.  The defense will have some players coming back...but will be a young squad on that side of the ball as well.  Hard to say WH is a playoff contender in 2022 after last season... but it's hard to discount them as well.  They have been pretty consistent making the playoffs the last 15 years or so.  Was 2021 a blip....or was it the beginning of a trend?

Red and White game was unspectacular. 

Defense dominated. 

Offense had flashes….. but definitely is behind the defense.

Several key pieces were present but didn’t play.

Nothing to get too high or too low about. 

Big senior class.  Incoming freshman numbering almost 70. 

JV going to be very thin it looks this season.  

14 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Red and White game was unspectacular. 

Defense dominated. 

Offense had flashes….. but definitely is behind the defense.

Several key pieces were present but didn’t play.

Nothing to get too high or too low about. 

Big senior class.  Incoming freshman numbering almost 70. 

JV going to be very thin it looks this season.  

I know the play calling was very vanilla but What type of offense will y’all be running in the fall ?

3 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

I know the play calling was very vanilla but What type of offense will y’all be running in the fall ?

Wing T.  Or a Hybrid of it.

It's not the Wing T John Tyler ran back in the 90's.  We pass a lot more.  But the formations are based on the Wing T.  But it seems to be about 50/50 run/pass, which is what we've been doing for decades. 

We just aren't tied to the shotgun for snaps like we've been forever.  We actually get under center for some snaps.  

I honestly had no idea if each play was a pass or a run based on the formations.  Which is a little different than what we've seen.  Traditionally....we definitely would give hints as to what we might do based on our formations.

Still too early to get too excited or push the panic button.

JQ Davis was a beast running the ball.  Byrd in the backfield will make a two-headed beast.

Slone Collier looked much improved at QB..... starting those 2-3 games last October/November was HUGE in his growth.

As always.....offensive line is our biggest question mark.  WR corps is young.

Sophomore QB Zach Smith showed some flashes too.  Could make things interesting.

GREAT TO BE BACK IN THE USA!  Had a great vacation....time to get back after it:

Marshall will be participating in a 7 on 7 leagues on Tuesday nights in June.

Carthage
Marshall
Waskom
Tatum

Each team will host a night.  Haven't seen the schedule yet.  I'll post it as soon as I have it.

I'll post SQT info too.

Marshall, Hallsville, Whitehouse and Mt Pleasant will be in the Tyler SQT June 11

I've also been told Mt Pleasant has a large number of new players who weren't playing football who are back in the program...should definitely help them at least a little bit

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

GREAT TO BE BACK IN THE USA!  Had a great vacation....time to get back after it:

Marshall will be participating in a 7 on 7 leagues on Tuesday nights in June.

Carthage
Marshall
Waskom
Tatum

Each team will host a night.  Haven't seen the schedule yet.  I'll post it as soon as I have it.

I'll post SQT info too.

June 07 @ Marshall 
June 13 @ Tatum
June 21 @ Waskom
June 28 @ Carthage

***Games will start at 5PM
***Each Game will consist of two 15 minute halves with a 5 min halftime
***10 mins between games
***Second week will be on a Monday because of a scheduling conflict

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

June 07 @ Marshall 
June 13 @ Tatum
June 21 @ Waskom
June 28 @ Carthage

***Games will start at 5PM
***Each Game will consist of two 15 minute halves with a 5 min halftime
***10 mins between games
***Second week will be on a Monday because of a scheduling conflict

In Marshall, Tatum, and Carthage..... the JV squads will play at the same time as the varsity in their indoor/covered facilities.  In Waskom, the JV will play before the varsities.

Carthage may not look very good in the first week..all their QBs still in baseball...they had to pull out of the Chapel Hill SQT because of no QBs

20 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Carthage may not look very good in the first week..all their QBs still in baseball...they had to pull out of the Chapel Hill SQT because of no QBs

Hmmmm……they got one in the system who can sling it, but not on the baseball team.  They do also have some football skill guys playing baseball.  

On 5/29/2022 at 8:59 PM, MattStepp said:

Marshall, Hallsville, Whitehouse and Mt Pleasant will be in the Tyler SQT June 11

I've also been told Mt Pleasant has a large number of new players who weren't playing football who are back in the program...should definitely help them at least a little bit

This is going to be the largest team Mt Pleasant has had since the 90s. This season could be special for Tiger fans.

• Like 3