2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

16 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

Posted by the new head coach today. 

OL is gonna be the strength of the offense. 

Screenshot_20220607-193335_Facebook.jpg

what are the lineman championships, weightlifting and pushing sleds? sorry never heard of this.

First week of 7 on 7 league was last night.  Only Marshall, Carthage, and Tatum participated.  Waskom cancelled because they didn't have enough coaches (what was told....don't come after me).

Carthage beat Marshall in the first game.
Marshall beat Tatum
Carthage beat Tatum

You could tell it was Marshall's first week of 7 on 7.  Was pretty rough in the Vs. game Vs. Carthage.  Looked much better in the second game.  

We rotated out QB's.  Each had some good and not so good passes.  Expected.

McCoy is going to be a beast at WR.  Had some great grabs last night.  

Defense played well... had several INT's on the night.  

We didn't have J. Smith last night at WR... and  we were also missing JQ.... they are integral parts of our offense.    Hopefully they will be in Tyler this weekend.  

Carthage 2-0
Marshall 1-1
Tatum 0-2
Waskom 0-0

NONE of the teams in pool A had winning record last season.  2 of them won 3 or less games.

2 playoff teams in pool B (Marshall and Crandall); there is a JV team in the pool.

3 of the 4 teams in pool C had at least 9 wins last season.  Only WH didn't make the playoffs.

3 of the 4 teams in the pool D had losing records last season.  2 made the playoffs (MP and Tyler)

Wowzers.

Pool C is ridiculously loaded with good teams.  Poor WH (lmaooooooo).

Pools B and D should be pretty competitive...... no world beaters in either.  But both have consistent playoff teams in them with numbers coming back.

Pool A...... I know you're the hosting team... and you want to pad your schedule a little.... but JJEEEEZZ.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

NONE of the teams in pool A had winning record last season.  2 of them won 3 or less games.

2 playoff teams in pool B (Marshall and Crandall); there is a JV team in the pool.

3 of the 4 teams in pool C had at least 9 wins last season.  Only WH didn't make the playoffs.

3 of the 4 teams in the pool D had losing records last season.  2 made the playoffs (MP and Tyler)

Wowzers.

Pool C is ridiculously loaded with good teams.  Poor WH (lmaooooooo).

Pools B and D should be pretty competitive...... no world beaters in either.  But both have consistent playoff teams in them with numbers coming back.

Pool A...... I know you're the hosting team... and you want to pad your schedule a little.... but JJEEEEZZ.

It doesn’t mean much but We actually made it to the state tournament a year ago from this very tournament. 

On 6/8/2022 at 3:19 PM, Mavchamp said:

First week of 7 on 7 league was last night.  Only Marshall, Carthage, and Tatum participated.  Waskom cancelled because they didn't have enough coaches (what was told....don't come after me).

Carthage beat Marshall in the first game.
Marshall beat Tatum
Carthage beat Tatum

You could tell it was Marshall's first week of 7 on 7.  Was pretty rough in the Vs. game Vs. Carthage.  Looked much better in the second game.  

We rotated out QB's.  Each had some good and not so good passes.  Expected.

McCoy is going to be a beast at WR.  Had some great grabs last night.  

Defense played well... had several INT's on the night.  

We didn't have J. Smith last night at WR... and  we were also missing JQ.... they are integral parts of our offense.    Hopefully they will be in Tyler this weekend.  

Carthage 2-0
Marshall 1-1
Tatum 0-2
Waskom 0-0

Waskom was there. Not sure the scores but Waskom and Tatum were pretty even in the 1st game from what I saw. Then they were torched by Carthage.  

Congratulations to Saturday's two qualifiers from the Tyler 7on7 SQT Longview & Crandall. Here are the results from the District 8-5A teams that participated in the tournament.

Nac. 0-3

L - Tyler Legacy

L - Greenville

L - Terrell

Marshall 0-3

L - Crandall

L- Hallsville

L - Tyler Legacy B Team

Mt. Pleasant 1-2

W - Lufkin

L- Tyler High

L - Forney

Whitehouse 2-1

W - College Station

W - Rockwall

L - Longview

Hallsville 2-1

W - Tyler Legacy B Team

W - Marshall

L - Crandall

2 minutes ago, OnTheClock said:

Marshall 0-3

L - Crandall

L- Hallsville

L - Tyler Legacy B Team

I still can't get over this. How do you lose to the Lee B team? Not only lose to them, but got shut out! I know it's 7v7, but goodness.

25 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I still can't get over this. How do you lose to the Lee B team? Not only lose to them, but got shut out! I know it's 7v7, but goodness.

7 on 7 is all about your QBs. Both are inexperienced and learning a wing T offense. I could definitely tell the difference from previous years running the spread. The route trees were more congested and appeared to run the same 2 or 3 plays most of the game. Maybe one wr went beyond 20 yards per play on avg. These may work when there is fear of a running game but not in 7 on 7.  This may not be the case every year, but certainly this year with limited play count learned thus far.

Also, this may be a good year to go to a Wing T based on what we have at the skill positions. For the first time in forever,  we have size but not much speed. 

Mt Pleasant went 2-1 

Tyler SQT

Pool A

Terrell 19, Greenville 0

Tyler Legacy 14, Nacogdoches 7

Greenville 27, Nacogdoches 12

Tyler Legacy 19, Terrell 12

Terrell 41, Nacogdoches 12

Tyler Legacy 31, Greenville 0

Pool B

Hallsville 21, Tyler Legacy JV 6

Crandall 34, Marshall 14

Crandall 38, Tyler Legacy JV 0

Hallsville 19, Marshall 12

Tyler Legacy JV 6, Marshall 0

Crandall 36, Hallsville 8

Pool C

Longview 20, Rockwall 7

Whitehouse 27, College Station 20

Whitehouse 33, Rockwall 13

Longview 26, College Station 14

Longview 33, Whitehouse 13

Rockwall 41, College Station 27

Pool D

Tyler 26, North Forney 13

Mount Pleasant 19, Lufkin 18

Tyler 33, Mount Pleasant 28

Lufkin 28, North Forney 14

Tyler 14, Lufkin 6

Mount Pleasant 28, North Forney 21

State Qualifying Round

Crandall 39, Tyler Legacy 13

Longview 27, Tyler 15

Mavs went 2-1 again Tuesday with wins over Tatum and Waskom.  Lost to Carthage.

They had a match on Wednesday and beat Garrison.

Another match on Thursday against Elysian Fields and won.

They are 6-5 in 7 on 7 thus far this summer with 2 more weeks of league play.  Next Tuesday in Waskom and the final week is in Carthage (28th).

There might be a few more single matches Vs. other schools sprinkled in there like the Garrison and EF games.

----------

I've seen some Mav fans pushing the panic button based on our 7 on 7 this summer.  I'm not there.... it's not like we've ever excelled at it.  I think we've only qualified for state maybe 3-4 times in the last 20 years.  I think we've only qualified twice in the last decade.

I've always wished we were better at it....and always wished we were more competitive at it....but that just hasn't really materialized. 

Granted....it's been ugly at times.  And consistently inconsistent.

But we have to consider a few things....

....we're rotating 3 guys at quarterback right now.  Only one of them will be our starter come August.  One of them is way ahead of the other 2.... but why not let all three get plenty of snaps in June?  See what each of their strengths and weaknesses are.  Having different packages for different QB's in certain situations can be a nightmare to defend.  We saw some of that last year when we lost our starting QB to injury.  One was used in more passing situations... another for runnings.  Then... when the starter came back.... we had 3 options depending on the situation.  It seemed to work.

....we're NOT a pass first team.  I can think of only a few seasons in the last 30 years that we were a pass first team (2015, 1996).  Marshall has almost always been a run first team.... with a viable passing game.  Not the other way around.

....we haven't had our WR corps all together at the same time yet.  If we can ever get all of those guys on the field at the same time, we might actually get something done.  But different things have had 1-2 of those guys out every week.  

.... 7 on 7 is bread and butter throwing the ball downfield.  Jack Alvarez is installing a variation of the Wing-T offense.  Yes...Marshall will be throwing the ball.... but most of the plays will be shorter passing routes.  Nickel and dime you with occasional deeps tosses.  7 on 7 is (mostly) about chunking it as far as you can play after play.

.... Defense is going to be the strength in 2022..... much like it was in 2021.  Our offense was pretty hard to watch at times last year.  The defense dragged the offense to victory kicking and screaming in several games (Mount Pleasant, Pine Tree, Rudder).  Only a couple of games the offense looked good (McKinney North, Hallsville, Whitehouse).  Lest we forget the Texas High game when they turned the ball over SEVEN times.  The offense won't be flashy in 2022 I don't think.... but I think it'll be better than it was in 2021.

.... JQ Davis might be the best running back in the district this year.  He was arguably #2 last season.  Toss in Bird and a couple of other guys in the backfield and we could be a beast to defend against the run.  Which could open up some passing lanes for (presumptive QB) Slone Collier.

------

All that to say... YES.... I think everyone is disappointed in how things have gone in 7 on 7.  Especially last weekend.

But historically speaking...... how good or bad we've been in 7 on 7 every year has had very little to do with how we've done in the fall.  We've missed the playoffs four times in the last 18 years.  Most of those we were pretty yawn-worthy in 7 on 7.

Not panicked.   Let the guys learn and grow.  That's what summer is all about.

Business starts in the fall.

JMHO.

DCTF Predictions for the district:

1.  Texas High
2.  Marshall
3.  Mount Pleasant
4.  Nacogdoches

5.  Pine Tree
6.  Hallsville
7.  Whitehouse

Pretty much what I've predicted this season.....but there are some *** with some of those picks.

I think Texas High is the runaway favorite.  They have dominated the last 2 seasons.  Hard to pick against them until someone actually beats them.

Marshall's success completely boils down to how quickly or slowly Jack Alvarez's offense kicks in.  If it's quick..... I like our chances against anyone in the district.  If it's slow.... we could easily drop to middle of the pack.  Our defense should be very good.... but as we learned last season..... a struggling offense can put even a stellar defense behind the 8-ball.

MP seems to have turned the corner....they've been headed in this direction for a while now.  Looks like they are ready to officially become a contender.  They should be a real thorn in the sides of THS and Marshall.

I really want to be high on Nac.  I love seeing a long struggling program come alive....but Nac backed into the playoffs last season.... and they didn't show much in the two games I saw them in.  I'm not sold on them yet.... but I do think they should challenge for a playoff spot.  But they have to fend off Hallsville and PT....... Nac needs offensive consistency.... and better defense for me to get really hyped on them.

I personally think Hallsville is ahead of Pine Tree...... at least offensively.  The Bobcats are probably going to score a LOT of points in 2022..... I just think they will ALLOW a lot too.  They had the worst defense in the district last year.  That's a lot to overcome.  If they can just play SOME defense... I think they could steal that #4 slot.  Esp if their offense picks up where they left off.

Pine Tree.....smh.  We have been talking about them becoming an annual contender for over a decade.  2020 looked like they had finally broken through.  Last season showed that 2020 may have been just a blip on the screen.  PT had a ton of talent back last season from their Cinderella run...but it didn't help.  Now they have even less than they did last year..... plus a new coach.  Hard to be excited about them right now.  Prove me wrong.

Whitehouse.... Breaks my heart seeing them picked for last place.

7 on 7 update......

Marshall went (2-1) for the third week in a row in league play.

I was told we looked good in all three games and actually played Carthage in a close battle.

They are (8-6) for the season.  Three of their losses are to Carthage.

-------
Was told Collier Slone got most of the snaps this week..... when we've been rotating 3 QBs all summer.

Report was that he looked pretty good.

Best outing of the summer.

Kid has a cannon....... if his O-line gives him time (not the most mobile) and he stays sharp on his accuracy..... he could be special. 

Marshall hasn't had a true pocket passing QB since Justin Hart (2015).   

Burris (2020) would have been a fantastic pocket passer....but unfortunately for him he never had an ounce of protection from his O-line.  He was always running for his life.

Collier could be fun to watch.....I'm here for it.

1.  Texas High
2.  Hallsville
3.  Marshall
4.  Mount Pleasant

5.  Whitehouse
6.  Nacogdoches
7.  Pine Tree

The 4, 5, 6 & 7 spot is where it might get interesting with Whitehouse being the surprise team. The 1, 2 & 3 spot is up for grabs. It will be a card shuffle season no team goes undefeated in district.

4 hours ago, OnTheClock said:

1.  Texas High
2.  Hallsville
3.  Marshall
4.  Mount Pleasant

5.  Whitehouse
6.  Nacogdoches
7.  Pine Tree

The 4, 5, 6 & 7 spot is where it might get interesting with Whitehouse being the surprise team. The 1, 2 & 3 spot is up for grabs. It will be a card shuffle season no team goes undefeated in district.

Hallsville gave up about 40PPG last year.  That's asking for a huge improvement for them.  I DO think they could challenge for a playoff slot....but not #2.

Nac has a lot of talent coming back....hard to see them that low.

Hard time believing WH is going to improve that much.  They lost their QB, their top rusher, top WR, a chunk of their OL and their coach.

Could totally be wrong.  But I think Nac is a playoff team.  Along with Marshall and MP.  Hallsville has to show a lot of improvement.  

And Texas High is Texas High

30 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Hallsville gave up about 40PPG last year.  That's asking for a huge improvement for them.  I DO think they could challenge for a playoff slot....but not #2.

Nac has a lot of talent coming back....hard to see them that low.

Hard time believing WH is going to improve that much.  They lost their QB, their top rusher, top WR, a chunk of their OL and their coach.

Could totally be wrong.  But I think Nac is a playoff team.  Along with Marshall and MP.  Hallsville has to show a lot of improvement.  

And Texas High is Texas High

Respectfully, I enjoy reading your opinions and updates...

I agree Texas High is Texas High but they have lost major playmakers on both sides of the ball..QB, RB, DE..ETC            

Whitehouse the starting QB was benched by the returning QB that played both ways very early in district play.  He has looked very impressive at camps 7vs7 etc...

Nac. could surprise me but very little depth. You said it perfectly they backed into the playoffs last year. Plus, what's up with the port a potties on the visitors side at a 5A school? LOL

Hallsville, reminder you called them the bottom of the barrel last year, basically no hope they would win a game.  They where 6 points away from making the playoffs.  Hallsville lost both starting inside linebackers for the year to ACLs in the first game of the season at Henderson. What's the scenario if they have finished with the center of their defense intact?

I'm a Maverick but I promise you these are not the Mavs of the late eighties early nineties.

MP will be a thorn in the side of any opponent they play this season. This team will vex every team but will shot themselves in the foot.

Pine Tree is the Pine Tree of old that we have come accustomed to seeing without DJ Freeman at QB.

They are all opinions and everybody has one!

23 minutes ago, OnTheClock said:

Whitehouse the starting QB was benched by the returning QB that played both ways very early in district play.  He has looked very impressive at camps 7vs7 etc...

Whitehouse is always good in 7 on 7....does it translate into 11 man football for them?  History says no.  But they lost some major cogs from their team last season on offense and defense...major cogs of a team that was pretty mediocre, IMHO.  That seems to spell a step back...at least for a season.

Nac. could surprise me but very little depth. You said it perfectly they backed into the playoffs last year. Plus, what's up with the port a potties on the visitors side at a 5A school? LOL

Nac has some really important peices coming back.  More than most teams in the district.  They SHOULD be better than last season.

Hallsville, reminder you called them the bottom of the barrel last year, basically no hope they would win a game.  They where 6 points away from making the playoffs.  Hallsville lost both starting inside linebackers for the year to ACLs in the first game of the season at Henderson. What's the scenario if they have finished with the center of their defense intact?

They finished (3-7)...was I really that far off?  No one knew Whitehouse was going to fall off a cliff last season like they did.  Pine Tree fell off a cliff too... but I think most expected that but Randy Johnson.  Two of teams htey beat were all horrendous WH (2-8) and Pine Tree (4-6).  And they lost to Jacksonville (1-9).  The fact that they still almost made the playoffs was more of an indictment of how bad the bottom of the district was than how good Hallsville was IMHO.  I just can't forget the 40PPG surrendered.  I DO think Hallsville will be in playoff contention this season....but not as a district runner up.

I'm a Maverick but I promise you these are not the Mavs of the late eighties early nineties.

We are returning the #1 running back in the district.  Most of our defense, which was outstanding this last season, will be coming back.  We have a good group of WR's back.  The only real question mark is at QB....which has been a question mark for us every season since 2019.  UGHHH.... and that "Mavs of the 80's and 90's drive me nuts.  Since those great teams of the 90's..... Marshall has had all sorts of district titles, TWO state title games, 4 regional appearances.... and tons of other playoff games.  It's not like we've been chopped liver for the last 25 years.

MP will be a thorn in the side of any opponent they play this season. This team will vex every team but will shot themselves in the foot.

I agree....MP will be a contender.  I like the direction of the Tigers.

Pine Tree is the Pine Tree of old that we have come accustomed to seeing without DJ Freeman at QB.

Agree.  PT has had issues for decades.  2020 was a blip for them it appears.  I thought they may had turned the corner....but last year proved me wrong.

They are all opinions and everybody has one!

Agree!  I think your short-selling on Marshall.  I think we're going to be fine.  Will probably have a rough start given the crazy tough non-district schedule....but when the games start counting...we'll be ready.  And I really like our first round match-ups in region II than I did in region III.  I think it's going to be a fun season.