2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

I feel pretty comfortable the four playoff teams are T High, Marshall, MP and Nac...with Hallsville just on the outside...I think Texas High will fall back some and one of the other three could beat them....they go to Mt Pleasant and Nacogdoches this year...one of those games could be worth watching

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Okay, so it seems mostly that your major hiccup/heartburn is that I have predicted The Cats over The Mavs. I've noticed you are always quick to say something about Whitehouse and Hallsville? Anyways, The Mavs do have a good RB returning at the same time The Cats have the #1 QB in the district returning. 1st team all district QB is as dangerous as they come. Also, returning 4 more all district players and plenty of purple jerseys with honorable mentions. I promise you my prediction goes much further than a TX pick 5 lottery ticket. I can't wait to see how it all plays out! I'm a THSFB fan and i'll recommend to The Cats that they need to get better on D. 

18 hours ago, OnTheClock said:

Okay, so it seems mostly that your major hiccup/heartburn is that I have predicted The Cats over The Mavs. I've noticed you are always quick to say something about Whitehouse and Hallsville? Anyways, The Mavs do have a good RB returning at the same time The Cats have the #1 QB in the district returning. 1st team all district QB is as dangerous as they come. Also, returning 4 more all district players and plenty of purple jerseys with honorable mentions. I promise you my prediction goes much further than a TX pick 5 lottery ticket. I can't wait to see how it all plays out! I'm a THSFB fan and i'll recommend to The Cats that they need to get better on D. 

I don’t mind if someone picks any team ahead of Marshall.  That’s what preseason picks are about. 

Im just scratching my head over picking a team that was 3-7 last season over 3 other teams that were playoff teams last year. All of which have a good portion of their teams back. 

Your hiccup/heartburn seems be that most people aren’t picking Hallsville to be  top tier in the district. 

I’ve said multiple times Hallsville will score a ton of points.  They did last year too. But it’s going to take a monumental turnaround defensively for a second place finish IMHO.  Not impossible.   But generally improbable.

I have no problem with Hallsville.  I have had family play for the Bobcats.  I’ve pulled for them in the past (except Vs MHS).  

Now Whitehouse is another story.  Ask any fan of any school in the district and you’ll get the same response…. That’s just a fact! 

Lone Star week 1 will be a good test right from the start for Texas High. New Qb ...#10 from last year was pretty good wr imo. could take a couple games but I think they’ll have a chance to be a little better on offensive side of ball if Qb plays well. Oline returns 4 guys , even with #10 going to qb they return 3 players back at wr. T Gray didnt play until 2nd half of district and unfortunately didn’t play vs Crosby but imo prob one of the better players in txk area in class of 24.    Defense lost just about everyone . #16 D-end and #95 at DT come back, both made all district so could be worse. 

Nac lost prob best player this past year before season started, having him back goes a long ways.  They also return quite a bit. Marshall even with new staff I think they are still 1st/2nd place in district with what they bring back.  4 playoff teams are Texas High  , Nac, Marshall and Hallsville/MP. 

43 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

Hallsville was most improved team imo last year, like mentioned with what returns they could be pretty a team to watch out for. 

Hallsville was most definitely improved. But I thought MP was MOST improved.  They lost 2 games with less than 1 min on the clock and another with less than 2 mins on the clock. They easily could have been 8-2 or 7-3 with just a little luck. 

42 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

Lone Star week 1 will be a good test right from the start for Texas High. New Qb ...#10 from last year was pretty good wr imo. could take a couple games but I think they’ll have a chance to be a little better on offensive side of ball if Qb plays well. Oline returns 4 guys , even with #10 going to qb they return 3 players back at wr. T Gray didnt play until 2nd half of district and unfortunately didn’t play vs Crosby but imo prob one of the better players in txk area in class of 24.    Defense lost just about everyone . #16 D-end and #95 at DT come back, both made all district so could be worse. 

Nac lost prob best player before season started this past season. They also return quite a bit. Marshall even with new staff I still think they are still 1st/2nd place in district with what they bring backs.  4 playoff teams are Texas High  , Nac, Marshall and Hallsville/MP. 

Texas High will be fine.  They are the boss until someone beats them.  Best staff in the district it seems.

Nac is going to be a thorn in a lot of sides I think.  QB is their question.  Defense was shaky at times.  But they should be pretty dang good.

Marshall has enough returning they should be fine.  Just depends on how quick the offense gels.  Defense should be stingy.  

MP has a lot coming back too… but like Marshall… it depends on how quick their offense picks up the new system.  Depth is always an issue… but I hear that will be better. 

Those are my top 4 picks with Hallsville as a dark horse to upset anyone.

PT and WH look like they could be in for long seasons. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Hallsville was most definitely improved. But I thought MP was MOST improved.  They lost 2 games with less than 1 min on the clock and another with less than 2 mins on the clock. They easily could have been 8-2 or 7-3 with just a little luck. 

no argument...MP was a lot better than record showed. Outside of Jacksonville loss though I thought Hallsville imo seemed to be a lot more competitive than the 0-9 ,2-8 teams in 2 previous seasons. Played Kilgore and Chapel Hill pretty tough early on, both of those teams played late in season, they also found a way to beat MP this past year..

I think district as a whole should be more competitive than 2 previous years , anxious to see how it plays out. 

14 hours ago, RogerDorn said:

Nac lost prob best player before season started this past season. They also return quite a bit. Marshall even with new staff I think they are still 1st/2nd place in district with what they bring back.  4 playoff teams are Texas High  , Nac, Marshall and Hallsville/MP. 

Gray is no longer with the team he got kicked off after he went off on a couple of coaches! But I will bet you he plays when the season starts lol

• Like 1

Nac is returning a lot of players from varsity and gaining more from a very good JV team last year. Getting B. Jones back in the middle of the defense will be huge for the strength of the team the last few years. Nacs defensive problems were more on the offense not holding on the ball and not scoring when they had the chance, setting up short fields. 

Nac has a returning Senior QB that split time last year and a Junior that was the starter on JV until the last 3 games and  got hurt against Texas High. Nac is going to be much better than last year. How much better and what that record will be is the question. I think Nac as a top 4 teams is a good starting point until we see how the season starts.  

1. Texas High

2. Marshall/MP

3. MP/Marshall

4. Hallsville/Nac

5. Nac/Hallsville

6. PT

7. Whitehouse

Honestly, i think the district favorite is and will always be Texas High unless something happens to help everyone get closer to them. 

I do think the big battle will be for 2nd in district. With the rumors of numbers showing up in MP then they might raise some cane. If they can get their turnovers and penalties in check then they should be fine. Marshall will be Marshall even with a new system getting put in place. Those two will be the best battle of the district. 

Hallsville might play some havoc as well. They had some tough games last season. They just gotta get their defense in check. You dont give up 44 pts a game and expect to win anything.

Nac is a hard one to get a gage on. They are always right there but lose it in the end. They will be battling if out with Hallsville for the last playoff spot.

PT is PT. Lets be honest, they will be back to their old selves. They just cant get out of their on way.

Whitehouse, wow, all i can say is, they should try to make Mahomes proud and at least play spirited football. Their season will probably be an ugly one.

23 hours ago, WhyUMad said:

Gray is no longer with the team he got kicked off after he went off on a couple of coaches! But I will bet you he plays when the season starts lol

could definitely hurt them in a couple months if he’s not on the field . 

On 6/26/2022 at 2:59 PM, Mavchamp said:

Hard time believing WH is going to improve that much.  They lost their QB, their top rusher, top WR, a chunk of their OL and their coach.

The WH qb that left was benched after 5 games, the only games WH won last year were with the returning QB.  Not sure where the information is coming from about losing the top rusher and WR.  They have a receiver with several DI offers coming in.  I think WH is going to be a big surprise to many this season.

On 6/26/2022 at 8:29 PM, Mavchamp said:

Now Whitehouse is another story.  Ask any fan of any school in the district and you’ll get the same response…. That’s just a fact! 

I think it's funny that the Marshall head coach came and found the WH QB after last season's game and complimented him and told him what a great job he did, but you only put them down.  It's a new WH team and I think everyone is in for a surprise with them.

3 hours ago, USA2024 said:

I think it's funny that the Marshall head coach came and found the WH QB after last season's game and complimented him and told him what a great job he did, but you only put them down.  It's a new WH team and I think everyone is in for a surprise with them.

I never said WH doesn’t have some great players. 

I just said that the rest of the district has a general consensus on WH teams and their fans based on years of passed experiences with them. 

Things can change. I hope they do. They NEED to. But for right now….the consensus on WH is all but unanimous. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:51 PM, Mavchamp said:

I never said WH doesn’t have some great players. 

I just said that the rest of the district has a general consensus on WH teams and their fans based on years of passed experiences with them. 

Things can change. I hope they do. They NEED to. But for right now….the consensus on WH is all but unanimous. 

I know I will get BANNED and SHUNNED for this statement but Whitehouse is notorious for DBFL - DADDY BALL FOOTBALL LEAGUE. Always the same story of  somebody's feelings getting hurt. Blaming the coach and wanting SO HARD to be the Highland Park of East Texas when they long been out of that running. 

My PT Pirates are decimated and that's why Lane left. Where are Nac and Mount Pleasant on returning players? 

17 hours ago, tomlandry said:

I know I will get BANNED and SHUNNED for this statement but Whitehouse is notorious for DBFL - DADDY BALL FOOTBALL LEAGUE. Always the same story of  somebody's feelings getting hurt. Blaming the coach and wanting SO HARD to be the Highland Park of East Texas when they long been out of that running. 

My PT Pirates are decimated and that's why Lane left. Where are Nac and Mount Pleasant on returning players? 

Nac has more returning starters than any other team in the district. They also get back a D1 linebacker that missed all of last year due to injury. Many of the coaches on our staff are calling him the best linebacker they have ever coached. 

We are returning our entire offensive and defensive lines, both QBs, D1 starting WR/S, an H-Back, and have 2 RB returning. We also are hearing rumors of a few lineman transferring in that their parents were hired to work at SFA. We are expecting a huge number of players coming up from our middle school programs. In fact this year and next are the two biggest groups to come out of our middle school programs in like 20 years.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tomlandry said:

I will find out from one of the coaches about MP.

On 7/7/2022 at 3:37 PM, tomlandry said:

They are the Highland Park of East Texas in terms of the comments their fan base and students continue to throw out there during athletic events for dang sure.

I wish nothing but loss after loss for every single one of their programs based on just the racist, homophobic comments that I have heard every single time I've attended one of their games.

On 7/7/2022 at 3:37 PM, tomlandry said:

Daddy football left with the last qb.  Someone finally said, no, your kid isn't playing just because you're on the school board.

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

They are the Highland Park of East Texas in terms of the comments their fan base and students continue to throw out there during athletic events for dang sure.

I wish nothing but loss after loss for every single one of their programs based on just the racist, homophobic comments that I have heard every single time I've attended one of their games.

I am sorry that you have had that experience in Whitehouse.  I can promise you that the football team does not fit in this category at all.  I hope you give them another chance.