2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

10 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

They are the Highland Park of East Texas in terms of the comments their fan base and students continue to throw out there during athletic events for dang sure.

I wish nothing but loss after loss for every single one of their programs based on just the racist, homophobic comments that I have heard every single time I've attended one of their games.

^^^^^^

11 hours ago, USA2024 said:

I am sorry that you have had that experience in Whitehouse.  I can promise you that the football team does not fit in this category at all.  I hope you give them another chance.

Since when? 

Our football game with them in 2019 was a freaking circus.  2020 was almost has bad…. but not not as hostile.  Both games in WH.

We were fully prepared for it, though.  Fans and coaches had already been debriefed by the same from  Pine Tree, Mt Pleasant, Nac. 

WH Players using racial epithets to get reactions from the opposing team (hoping to get a flag thrown on the reaction).  Stepping on hands.  Fingers in the eyes on pile ups. Pinching… punching.    You know… real football stuff 🙄🙄🙄  

Don’t even get me started on the signs and the chants by the student section. 

This is stuff reported by multiple schools, from multiple fan bases of multiple sports.  Longview, Marshall, Texarkana, Tyler, Lufkin, MP, PT, Nac……. What do all those schools have in common?  They are all minority schools.

It’s truly a reputation they have earned over the last 20 years or so that I’m aware off.    And while administration says all the right things about it not being tolerated….based on what I’ve personally experienced at their basketball and baseball games…. They are most definitely complicit in how the students behave.   It’s a part of the culture there and has been a long long time.

They aren’t the only school in the district with this problem…… but at least the other is a little more covert about it.  

• Like 2

While over a decade has passed and coaching staff has moved on, I will always view Whitehouse as the school that threw a game to avoid an opponent in the playoffs.

Now I will add, if players are attempting to incite an opponent into committing a personal foul that should be handled appropriately by the officials. I am sure many of the comments are made discretely out of the ears of the officials. Most officials will turn up their hearing aids if advised by the players. Now comments coming from the stands are the responsibility of the school administrators.  If the district is not addressing the issue, other schools need to report the district to UIL.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bordertown said:

While over a decade has passed and coaching staff has moved on, I will always view Whitehouse as the school that threw a game to avoid an opponent in the playoffs.

Now I will add, if players are attempting to incite an opponent into committing a personal foul that should be handled appropriately by the officials. I am sure many of the comments are made discretely out of the ears of the officials. Most officials will turn up their hearing aids if advised by the players. Now comments coming from the stands are the responsibility of the school administrators.  If the district is not addressing the issue, other schools need to report the district to UIL.

Attend a WH basketball game.  You will be appalled. At the signage, the chants, overall attitude.   

Heard they carry on the same way at Volleyball games as per some Longview fans.

There was trouble at a basketball game with Tyler a year or two ago too IIRC.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Since when? 

Our football game with them in 2019 was a freaking circus.  2020 was almost has bad…. but not not as hostile.  Both games in WH.

We were fully prepared for it, though.  Fans and coaches had already been debriefed by the same from  Pine Tree, Mt Pleasant, Nac. 

WH Players using racial epithets to get reactions from the opposing team (hoping to get a flag thrown on the reaction).  Stepping on hands.  Fingers in the eyes on pile ups. Pinching… punching.    You know… real football stuff 🙄🙄🙄  

Don’t even get me started on the signs and the chants by the student section. 

This is stuff reported by multiple schools, from multiple fan bases of multiple sports.  Longview, Marshall, Texarkana, Tyler, Lufkin, MP, PT, Nac……. What do all those schools have in common?  They are all minority schools.

It’s truly a reputation they have earned over the last 20 years or so that I’m aware off.    And while administration says all the right things about it not being tolerated….based on what I’ve personally experienced at their basketball and baseball games…. They are most definitely complicit in how the students behave.   It’s a part of the culture there and has been a long long time.

They aren’t the only school in the district with this problem…… but at least the other is a little more covert about it.  

I was referring to the team from last year and going forward with the new coach.  I know that this type of behavior would not be tolerated from the current coaching staff.  

58 minutes ago, USA2024 said:

I was referring to the team from last year and going forward with the new coach.  I know that this type of behavior would not be tolerated from the current coaching staff.  

I will say there were no issues that I heard of last season…..in football.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bordertown said:

Yeah I wonder which team who drew the short end of that straw lol 

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Yeah I wonder which team who drew the short end of that straw lol 

I don’t blame them…. We should have won more games.  But them blowing it knocked us out of the playoffs.  We needed to beat Kilgore in the season finale (we did) and WH had to beat Nac for us to get in (opps).  

There were some Mav fans upset about them blowing it on purpose.  But I always blamed it on our close losses to WH (35-34) and Nac (27-20).   Both tough losses to swallow… but they were on us.  No one to blame but ourselves for sitting at home that year.

I went to the Nac/THS game at Rose Stadium the following week.  Had a great time.   Then the following week I went to see Texas High beat Highland Park in Shreveport.   That was fantastic. 

Scrimmages are getting REAL close

Aug 11/12
Greenville Vs. Whitehouse (Thur)
Pleasant Grove Vs. Mt. Pleasant (Fri)

Aug 18/19 
Chapel Hill Vs. Hallsville (Thur)
Pine Tree Vs Gilmer (Thur)
Whitehouse Vs. Lindale (Thur)
Texas High Vs. Longview (Fri)
Marshall Vs. Tyler Legacy (Fri)
Mount Pleasant Vs. Greenville (Fri)
Nacogdoches Vs. Henderson (Fri)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Scrimmages are getting REAL close

Aug 11/12
Greenville Vs. Whitehouse (Thur)
Pleasant Grove Vs. Mt. Pleasant (Fri)

Aug 18/19 
Chapel Hill Vs. Hallsville (Thur)
Pine Tree Vs Gilmer (Thur)
Whitehouse Vs. Lindale (Thur)
Texas High Vs. Longview (Fri)
Marshall Vs. Tyler Legacy (Fri)
Mount Pleasant Vs. Greenville (Fri)
Nacogdoches Vs. Henderson (Fri)

Tyler high scrimmages Terrell in Terrell on Aug. 19th. 

14 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I don’t blame them…. We should have won more games.  But them blowing it knocked us out of the playoffs.  We needed to beat Kilgore in the season finale (we did) and WH had to beat Nac for us to get in (opps).  

There were some Mav fans upset about them blowing it on purpose.  But I always blamed it on our close losses to WH (35-34) and Nac (27-20).   Both tough losses to swallow… but they were on us.  No one to blame but ourselves for sitting at home that year.

I went to the Nac/THS game at Rose Stadium the following week.  Had a great time.   Then the following week I went to see Texas High beat Highland Park in Shreveport.   That was fantastic. 

I mean honestly we caught fire at the right time that year. We had back to back upsets of Marshall and Jax  and I firmly believe we would have  beaten Whitehouse anyway  without their help. 

6 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

I mean honestly we caught fire at the right time that year. We had back to back upsets of Marshall and Jax  and I firmly believe we would have  beaten Whitehouse anyway  without their help. 

Nac got hot at the perfect time.  Unfortunately....they ran into a speed train in the first round.  A train that was meant for Whitehouse IMHO. 

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Nac got hot at the perfect time.  Unfortunately....they ran into a speed train in the first round.  A train that was meant for Whitehouse IMHO. 

Yeah. Texas high also has a great coaching staff at the time. Whatever happened to that OC ????

5 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Yeah. Texas high also has a great coaching staff at the time. Whatever happened to that OC ????

Can we change the subject? Someone has an * for one more state championship.

I went to a “closed scrimmage” in that OC’s first year as a head coach against his prior school. They punched the bigger school in the mouth. Not surprised at his success. Honestly believe he was more entertaining as the Texas High OC. 

7 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

You aren’t kidding man does bill Harper ever age ??? Coach sid looks the same as well. 

Bill Harper is one of the greatest men I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. Class act. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2022 at 6:37 PM, Hookemhorns88 said:

For those of us that do not know can you list their names from left to right?

From left to right.....

Matt Turner, Wayne Coleman, Danny Long, Hunter Taylor (Author of the book), Dennis Parker, Tom Thrower, Sid Harper, Bill Harper, Jackie Lloyd.

DCTF playoff projections are pretty interesting.  They have the district finishing like this:

Texas High
Marshall
Mount Pleasant
Nacogdoches 

Playoffs would look something like this......
Denison at Texarkana
Crandall at Marshall
Mount Pleasant at Melissa
Nacogdoches at Lovejoy

Obviously....with the exception of Nac.... everyone's drives become shorter than they were in region III.  No Houston schools going to Texarkana.  No Bryan schools coming to Marshall.  No MP at Huntsville....etc etc.  

Those match-ups look pretty favorable for Texas High in Marshall in the first round.  Tough draws for MP and Nac.  Esp Nac with Lovejoy at #3.

Texas High would get Ennis in the second round.  Very winnable game for the Tigers.
Marshall would get defending state champion and #1 South Oak Cliff.

Third round would see THS get #3 Lovejoy. While Marshall...if they pulled off the monster upset...would get either #5 Mansfield Summit or Melissa.

Fourth round....if both continued winning would be Marshall Vs. #10 Texas High.  

Fifth round could be #7 WF Rider, #6 Argyle, or #9 Colleyville Heritage

State Championship: #3 Liberty Hill, #4 FB Marshall

--------
Tough road for all involved.

Texas High
Bi-district: Denison (NR)
Area: Ennis (NR)
Region Semis: #3 Lovejoy
Quarterfinals: #1 South Oak Cliff
Semifinals: #6 Argyle or #7 WG Rider
State Championship:  #3 Liberty Hill or #4 FB Marshall

Marshall
Bi-District: Crandall (NR)
Area:  #1 South Oak Cliff
Region Semis: #5 Mansfield Summit
Quarterfinals: #3 Lovejoy
Semifinals: #6 Argyle or #7 WG Rider
State Championship:  #3 Liberty Hill or #4 FB Marshall

Talk about incentive to win the district championship.........