2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

29 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

You aren't lying...that is a tough road for 2nd place.  Crazy strong region as well.  Going to be fun to watch.

5A Div II Region II has got to be one of the toughest in all classifications.  Four teams in the top 10.  And you can't count a team like Ennis out given their history...even though they aren't ranked.

• Like 2

If QB is figured out SOC could stay on top with what they bring back. Lovejoy is another team to watch out for, but could be a year away..24 class is loaded. Team to watch imo is Summit I believe they went 3/4 rounds deep last year and drop from D1. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RogerDorn said:

If QB is figured out SOC could stay on top with what they bring back. Lovejoy is another team to watch out for, but could be a year away..24 class is loaded. Team to watch imo is Summit I believe they went 3/4 rounds deep last year and drop from D1. 

My goodness.

SOC is so loaded to the brim. I think they go back to back...but Lovejoy looks amazing too and doesn't have the question marks at QB that SOC does. Both return 17 starters too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

My goodness.

SOC is so loaded to the brim. I think they go back to back...but Lovejoy looks amazing too and doesn't have the question marks at QB that SOC does. Both return 17 starters too.

I agree, upfront I’d have to think SOC will be just as good as they were this past season. Lovejoy is solid as well....week 1 v College Station will be a game to watch .

I’m not all that sure on what Summit brings back but after 07 mentioning back to back semi’s that’s enough reason to watch out for them. 

On 7/19/2022 at 10:46 AM, RogerDorn said:

I agree, upfront I’d have to think SOC will be just as good as they were this past season. Lovejoy is solid as well....week 1 v College Station will be a game to watch .

I’m not all that sure on what Summit brings back but after 07 mentioning back to back semi’s that’s enough reason to watch out for them. 

SOC was huge in the trenches, the only reason they didn't win state by 40pts was Liberty hill running the ball as much as they did neutralized the SOC athleticism and kept their offense off the field. 

• Like 1

Longview paper released their Fab 15 preseason poll for 4A/5A/6A

6A/5A/4ATeam Points Record 2021

1. Longview (12) 216 9-4 6

2. Carthage (2) 209 11-1 1

3. Gilmer (1) 194 14-2 3

4. Chapel Hill 155 11-4 12

5. Texas High 153 12-1 2

6. Kilgore 129 11-2 5

7. Tyler 125 6-5 11

8. Tyler Legacy 119 6-6 10

9. Lindale 109 7-5 7

10. Pleasant Grove 87 8-6 NR

11. Marshall 75 8-4 8

12. Van 61 12-1 4

13. Lufkin 36 4-6 NR

14. Paris 22 7-5 NR

15. Rusk 21 9-3 9

Others receiving votes: Jasper 16; Henderson 12; Brownsboro 11; Jacksonville 10; Palestine 9; Bullard 8; Hallsville 8; Canton 3; Spring Hill 3; Whitehouse 3; Pine Tree 2; Pittsburg 2; Mount Pleasant 1; Quinlan Ford 1.

Was a little shocked to see Mount Pleasant ranked behind Hallsville and Pine Tree (and Jacksonville!!) ..... kind of wondering if that's more of a "lack of familiarity" or is it the new staff in MP that makes the sportswriters unsure of the Tigers?  I'd like to know the reasoning..... most publications are picking MP to be a playoff team in 2022.

Was also surprised to see Lufkin so low.  And Legacy so high.

I don't understand combining 4A/5A/6A together either...... why not break it down into classifications like everyone else?  It's weird seeing teams intermixed that have zero chance of playing one another.

41 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Was a little chocked to see Mount Pleasant ranked behind Hallsville and Pine Tree (and Jacksonville!!) ..... kind of wondering if that's more of a "lack of familiarity" or is it the new staff in MP that makes the sportswriters unsure of the Tigers?  I'd like to know the reasoning..... most publications are picking MP to be a playoff team in 2022.

I don't understand combining 4A/5A/6A together either...... why not break it down into classifications like everyone else?  It's weird seeing teams intermixed that have zero chance of playing one another.

the fact that WH,PT and Hallsville received votes vs the 2 teams that made the playoffs in front of them, and are returning more players from last year is laughable. Probably has more to do with the distance from Longview vs what the rankings should be. 

7 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

the fact that WH,PT and Hallsville received votes vs the 2 teams that made the playoffs in front of them, and are returning more players from last year is laughable. Probably has more to do with the distance from Longview vs what the rankings should be. 

The sportswriters from Longview, Tyler, Nac, Lufkin, Marshall, and Texarkana are the ones that voted.  A little weird that the guys from Lufkin and Nac didn't give the Dragons any love.  Very Odd.

I DO think Hallsville is a darkhorse for 2022.....but I'm not putting them (or Pine Tree) ahead of Nac or MP.... not at this point at least.

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

A little weird that the guys from Lufkin and Nac didn't give the Dragons any love.  Very Odd.

I would be shocked if a Lufkin sports writer gave Nac love:) 

Let me be clear I do not think Nac should be ranked at this point, was just pointing out that WH,PT got votes ahead of two teams that made the playoffs last year. 

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Longview paper released their Fab 15 preseason poll for 4A/5A/6A

6A/5A/4ATeam Points Record 2021

1. Longview (12) 216 9-4 6

2. Carthage (2) 209 11-1 1

3. Gilmer (1) 194 14-2 3

4. Chapel Hill 155 11-4 12

5. Texas High 153 12-1 2

6. Kilgore 129 11-2 5

7. Tyler 125 6-5 11

8. Tyler Legacy 119 6-6 10

9. Lindale 109 7-5 7

10. Pleasant Grove 87 8-6 NR

11. Marshall 75 8-4 8

12. Van 61 12-1 4

13. Lufkin 36 4-6 NR

14. Paris 22 7-5 NR

15. Rusk 21 9-3 9

Others receiving votes: Jasper 16; Henderson 12; Brownsboro 11; Jacksonville 10; Palestine 9; Bullard 8; Hallsville 8; Canton 3; Spring Hill 3; Whitehouse 3; Pine Tree 2; Pittsburg 2; Mount Pleasant 1; Quinlan Ford 1.

I thought MP would be ranked higher as well. 

On 7/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, Mavchamp said:

Yeah, that didn't make any sense to me when I read it either.

On 7/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, Mavchamp said:

Was a little shocked to see Mount Pleasant ranked behind Hallsville and Pine Tree (and Jacksonville!!) ..... kind of wondering if that's more of a "lack of familiarity" or is it the new staff in MP that makes the sportswriters unsure of the Tigers?  I'd like to know the reasoning..... most publications are picking MP to be a playoff team in 2022.

It hasn't made sense since they started doing it tbh.

Maybe cause they don't believe there's enough teams to warrant a full 6A/5A poll? I dunno. But it's something they should change up.

You're right on Legacy though. They're not going to be good at all. Why they're even mentioned is beyond me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

It hasn't made sense since they started doing it tbh.

Because we need more Carthage Vs Longview or Gilmer Vs Longview conversations….🙄🙄🙄🙄

• LOL! 2

Through the grapevine:  

Summer workouts have been intense and guys have been working their butts off.  Lots of guys went to camps over the summer.  Others were doing relays…including a big meet down in Corpus. 

Seems like a lot of excitement.  Couple of new faces that may contribute immediately.  Core of the same team as last year returning.   Lots of experience on both sides of the ball. 

Always prefer excitement positivity over a summer than the opposite.  

Go Mavs go!

Im ready for football season to start. I get to travel down from Michigan to watch my nephew play on his last first game of his football career. 

It will be a classic rivalry game with hopefully some scoring fireworks. Also hopefully MP beating Pittsburg. If anyone wants to watch it will be on Mount Pleasant Tiger Athletics youtube channel.

• Like 1