2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

18 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

Im ready for football season to start. I get to travel down from Michigan to watch my nephew play on his last first game of his football career. 

It will be a classic rivalry game with hopefully some scoring fireworks. Also hopefully MP beating Pittsburg. If anyone wants to watch it will be on Mount Pleasant Tiger Athletics youtube channel.

Is MP running a new offense, Slot-T??

10 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

Man I am hoping for big things for Marshall this year.  If these kids can learn his system and get it down before the end of district, they are going to be a hard out for anyone.

I'm having good vibes....but cautiously optimistic. 

Our pre-season schedule is brutal.  Gotta be one of the toughest in the state for 5A Division II.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 6:22 PM, kingwolf said:

Is MP running a new offense, Slot-T??

They are running a new offense but I just found out that it is more like the offense that Sulphur Springs ran in 08 when they won the state chamionship. I think they called it the Nascar Offense. Oklahoma used to run the same offense.

They had an intrasquad scrimmage today so I will know for sure what they are running.

10 minutes ago, budmanmpfan said:

They are running a new offense but I just found out that it is more like the offense that Sulphur Springs ran in 08 when they won the state chamionship. I think they called it the Nascar Offense. Oklahoma used to run the same offense.

They had an intrasquad scrimmage today so I will know for sure what they are running.

The offense Sulphur Springs ran those years was fantastic when they had the athletes to run it.  But when the talent started going away..... they REALLY started to struggle and they've never have recovered from it.

You really have to have someone special at QB to do what they did....which they did.  Gotta have some special kids at WR..... which they did.  And most of all...they needed a great OL....which they did.  Until they didn't....and poof... the success dried up.

Defense was always kind of a liability for them....even in those great seasons.  But their offense was good enough to not matter.  Once the offense started sputtering... that weak defense gave way to constant poor field position.  

Those high octane offenses are fantastic when you have the roster to run them.....but when you don't.... it can be painful.  Which is what we've seen from SS for the last 7-8 years or so.

(25-56) since 2014.  Offf.

I thought MP did fantastic with the offense they were running last year.  Kinda surprised they would get too away from it.  But coaches are smarter than me when it comes to looking at a roster/talent and doing what's best with what you have.  Would hate to see what they've been building towards for so long be undone for a gimmicky offense. 

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

The offense Sulphur Springs ran those years was fantastic when they had the athletes to run it.  But when the talent started going away..... they REALLY started to struggle and they've never have recovered from it.

You really have to have someone special at QB to do what they did....which they did.  Gotta have some special kids at WR..... which they did.  And most of all...they needed a great OL....which they did.  Until they didn't....and poof... the success dried up.

Defense was always kind of a liability for them....even in those great seasons.  But their offense was good enough to not matter.  Once the offense started sputtering... that weak defense gave way to constant poor field position.  

Those high octane offenses are fantastic when you have the roster to run them.....but when you don't.... it can be painful.  Which is what we've seen from SS for the last 7-8 years or so.

I thought MP did fantastic with the offense they were running last year.  Kinda surprised they would get too away from it.  But coaches are smarter than me when it comes to looking at a roster/talent and doing what's best with what you have.  Would hate to see what they've been building towards for so long be undone for a gimmicky offense. 

Agree with you 100%. Although MP does have a good QB coming up from JV. But that wont be enough.

From today's Marshall News Messenger:
https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/sports/mavericks-set-to-begin-football-practice-monday/article_e11458ba-14ee-11ed-b2a4-87c4e36dfbcf.html

Marshall’s football team participated spring ball and as a result, had to wait a week to start fall practices but the Mavericks are set to hit the practice field Monday.

They will go from 4 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. Monday and Tuesday and from 4 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday through Friday.

Picture/Media Day will be held from Saturday at 7 a.m. until 8:30 a.m. That will be followed by a scrimmage from 9 a.m. until 10:30 a.m.

Meet the Mavericks is slated for Thursday, Aug. 18 at 6 p.m.

This season will be the first for the Mavericks under the direction of Jack Alvarez as athletic director and head football coach. Alvarez came to Marshall with an overall record of 193-93.

He most recently coached at Cuero where he went 18-8 in two seasons and went to the playoffs both years. He has also made three state championship appearances, including in 2014 when he led Ennis to a state championship win.

Alvarez will take over a Mavericks football team that went 8-4 a year ago and 6-1 against district opponents.

He replaces Jake Griedl who spent three years with the Mavericks and went 20-13 overall as head coach.

The Mavericks are slated to scrimmage against Tyler Legacy, Thursday, Aug. 18 at 7 p.m. and will kick off the season Friday, Aug. 26 at 7:30 p.m. Both the scrimmage and the season opener will be held at Mavericks Stadium in Marshall.

• Like 1

I heard 175 for Marshall (unconfirmed).

HUGE freshman class from what I hear.  Might have a C team.  I never recall us ever having a third freshman team.  Will probably be hard to find games for them. 

JV roster will be smallish this season as some underclassmen will probably get some varsity play this year just to build up some depth on the bench.

Hearing good things.  Can't ask for more than that.

On 8/6/2022 at 2:12 PM, Mavchamp said:

Riordan was the OC during the state championship season.  Things started to decline when he left for Crosby in 2012.  That had as much to do with it as anything.  Success has followed him to Crosby and now Chapel Hill.

Nascar offense was just a fast paced spread offense.  No real secret to it.  Execution is the key.  A good QB helps too.  It puts pressure on the opposing defense, but if you're not successful then your defense is on the field the entire game.

• Like 1

According to the MNM.... the Tyler Legacy scrimmage will be in Marshall next Friday at 6PM

They will have an intra-squad scrimmage this Saturday.

Hate I'm going to miss the Legacy scrimmage.  I'll be on vacation.

-------------

Coach Alvarez seems to be really high on where things are right now.  I'm cautiously optimistic.    But I keep hearing how well practices are going.  The kids worked their tails off this summer.... doing camps and their workouts.  Sounds like they have definitely done their due diligence. 

It is a new staff.... and a new system... but this is a veteran squad we have this year.  This was a team loaded with sophomores and juniors last year and they still managed to go 6-1 in district and advance to the 2nd round. 

Like I said.... cautiously optimistic.  I've been down this road before and been let down.  But...I've also been pleasantly surprised.  Those are the best seasons. 

8-5A is going to be very competitive this season I think.  Should be a fun ride.

Cannot wait.  I'm excited about Alvarez..... this season.... but especially for the future.   

• Like 1

Was just reading about Pine Tree.  Ouch.

Only 3 back on defense.  That's tough.  Granted.... their defense struggled at times last season...but it wasn't terrible. They lost 4 district games last year by 7 points or less.  They easily could have been a playoff team with just a little luck.

7 back on offense.....but they lost Ethan Morgan...who was their stud RB last season.  Averaged over 100 yards per game.  Lost their #2 back too.  That's a big hole to fill...and puts a lot of pressure on their passing game.

Lost 2 of their top 4 WR's too....who could make some great catches.  Very athletic.  They will need some young guys to step up.  PT rarely has trouble finding WR's it seems.

Good news?  They have a good QB coming back in Dakylan Johnson.... if they can get him some help...he's dangerous.  Over 1400 yards passing last season.  He was prone to toss INT's...but to be fair...he was a sophomore.  Big order for such a young player.

--------------

Interested to read more about Whitehouse, Hallsville, MP, and Nac.  Strangely quiet over the offseason.

Texas High gonna be Texas High...... question is.... do they come down to Earth a little this year?  Or do they prove to be head and shoulders above everyone in the district again?

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 8:19 PM, Mavchamp said:

Was just reading about Pine Tree.  Ouch.

Only 3 back on defense.  That's tough.  Granted.... their defense struggled at times last season...but it wasn't terrible. They lost 4 district games last year by 7 points or less.  They easily could have been a playoff team with just a little luck.

7 back on offense.....but they lost Ethan Morgan...who was their stud RB last season.  Averaged over 100 yards per game.  Lost their #2 back too.  That's a big hole to fill...and puts a lot of pressure on their passing game.

Lost 2 of their top 4 WR's too....who could make some great catches.  Very athletic.  They will need some young guys to step up.  PT rarely has trouble finding WR's it seems.

Good news?  They have a good QB coming back in Dakylan Johnson.... if they can get him some help...he's dangerous.  Over 1400 yards passing last season.  He was prone to toss INT's...but to be fair...he was a sophomore.  Big order for such a young player.

--------------

Interested to read more about Whitehouse, Hallsville, MP, and Nac.  Strangely quiet over the offseason.

Texas High gonna be Texas High...... question is.... do they come down to Earth a little this year?  Or do they prove to be head and shoulders above everyone in the district again?

It looks like MP is still down in numbers. So a lot dropped football again or not as many showed as I was previously told. They have maybe 30 players total. So it could be a rogu year for them. I am still hopeful bc I love them Tigers but knowing that they have no depth hurts them big time.

10 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

It looks like MP is still down in numbers. So a lot dropped football again or not as many showed as I was previously told. They have maybe 30 players total. So it could be a rogu year for them. I am still hopeful bc I love them Tigers but knowing that they have no depth hurts them big time.

That's not good.  I am also perplexed at the Nascar offense.  If it doesn't click, that will turn into a lot of blowouts with a defense that doesn't have a lot of depth.

On 8/10/2022 at 6:00 PM, Mavchamp said:

According to the MNM.... the Tyler Legacy scrimmage will be in Marshall next Friday at 6PM

They will have an intra-squad scrimmage this Saturday.

Hate I'm going to miss the Legacy scrimmage.  I'll be on vacation.

-------------

Coach Alvarez seems to be really high on where things are right now.  I'm cautiously optimistic.    But I keep hearing how well practices are going.  The kids worked their tails off this summer.... doing camps and their workouts.  Sounds like they have definitely done their due diligence. 

It is a new staff.... and a new system... but this is a veteran squad we have this year.  This was a team loaded with sophomores and juniors last year and they still managed to go 6-1 in district and advance to the 2nd round. 

Like I said.... cautiously optimistic.  I've been down this road before and been let down.  But...I've also been pleasantly surprised.  Those are the best seasons. 

8-5A is going to be very competitive this season I think.  Should be a fun ride.

Cannot wait.  I'm excited about Alvarez..... this season.... but especially for the future.   

This is a good update.  I have no doubts that season 1 will be bumps and frustrations (especially when he keeps running the ball and you want him to throw it :) ), but if the kids buy in and stay focused through a tough 1st season, you'll see the fruits in the playoffs and next season. 

Man...I know this record I keep playing gets old...but he was lightning in a bottle in Kirbyville and Ennis.

His record shows a rough first 1-2 seasons and then it takes off.  The more playoff games they get under him in season 1-2, will be huge.  Kirbyville was a little longer because he took a perennial loser to the best run in program history.  I am probably more excited to watch what he does than most Maverick fans.

2 hours ago, kingwolf said:

That's not good.  I am also perplexed at the Nascar offense.  If it doesn't click, that will turn into a lot of blowouts with a defense that doesn't have a lot of depth.

I agree. I will be at the game week 1 so I will be able to get a good fix on what could possibly happen. They play Pittsburg. Hopefully it will be a good game.

17 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

For Varsity only I hope!  Surely not 9-12.

I hate that for MP....they've been building towards their success for a while.  I'd hate to see them lose the progress they've made.  

Best of luck to MP except for that ONE game.

17 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

30 Total, in 5A?  Something is off there.  We have about 145 in Mineral Wells... and we haven't been anywhere near good for 4 years...

25 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

30 Total, in 5A?  Something is off there.  We have about 145 in Mineral Wells... and we haven't been anywhere near good for 4 years...

145 seems kinda high for 4A...... could be wrong though.