2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

44 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

145 seems kinda high for 4A...... could be wrong though.

we have 2 pair of shoulder pads left in our equipment room.  It may be 135 now.  we removed 10 from 1st period athletics last Tuesday.

9 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

This was just varsity. Sorry for the miscommunication on that. 

Still a really low number.  Doesn’t mean MP can’t compete.  But it definitely puts them behind the 8 ball for injuries or players playing both ways. 

Until last season… it always was a broken record for MP. Play a great first half.  Be competitive. But as fatigue started to set in during the second half… teams would pull away for a win.  Always a depth issue.  Not a lack of talent issue.  Talent is there. 

Marshall had an intra-squad scrimmage this morning.

Offense looked pretty good from what I hear. WRs made some good grabs.  QB made some good throws.  RB JQ Davis didn’t get too much work.  He’s going to be a beast.  We already know this. 

Defense will be our strength.  We’ve known this for a while.  Going to be really tough up front.  Should give some OLs fits. 

Secondary needs some work. Okie specially if Warren doesn’t come back like I’ve heard he may.  We shall see. 

Overall… a good scrimmage. Team seems ahead of where we were this time last year. 

Scrimmage Friday vs Legacy. Then kickoff against Tyler High. 

Can. Not. Wait. 

1 v1 finished 3-1 Longview 2 of those being within first 5 plays. 0-0 live quarter. defense caught up and made some plays . Drops/missed tackles from both teams,  outside of a few plays not a whole lot from either O , but T high was able to go score on first drive...moved the ball passin better than I thought vs a good defense so that’s a plus. 

MP has approx 45 varsity, 45 JV, and 30 9th graders playing football.

That is still not great numbers for 5A, but better than last year. Don't know where the 30 varsity # came from.

Last night Varsity 1's - MP scored 5 times total and Greenville scored 1. 

Just like every other scrimmage, hard to tell because you don't know who played, who didn't, who coaches moved around and tried at certain spots. However, I like that we held our cool when Greenville got mouthy. That in itself is a positive note for a high school team, imo.

Now on to Pitt who I heard had a much better scrimmage vs Paris yesterday. Anyone have any details?

On 8/19/2022 at 10:29 AM, MPGold said:

MP has approx 45 varsity, 45 JV, and 30 9th graders playing football.

That is still not great numbers for 5A, but better than last year. Don't know where the 30 varsity # came from.

Last night Varsity 1's - MP scored 5 times total and Greenville scored 1. 

Just like every other scrimmage, hard to tell because you don't know who played, who didn't, who coaches moved around and tried at certain spots. However, I like that we held our cool when Greenville got mouthy. That in itself is a positive note for a high school team, imo.

Now on to Pitt who I heard had a much better scrimmage vs Paris yesterday. Anyone have any details?

That was what I counted for Meet the Tigers. But it was a video that was sent to me. 

But if what my nephew says is true, they have 50 on the team. That would biggest turn out for football since 2011.

That means a lot of depth and he says they have a lot of talent.

I am in MP for this week to watch him against Pitt. My first Tiger game in person since 2017.

GO TIGERS!!!

• Like 1

District 8 5A DIV II

2022 Projected League Finish 1-4 Seed

DCTF:

1.Texarkana TX

2. Marshall

3. Mount Pleasant

4. Nacogdoches

CalPreps:

1. Texas high

2. Hallsville

3. Marshall

4. Pine Tree

MaxPreps:

1. Texas High

2. Hallsville

3. Marshall

4. Pine Tree

T-High is the unanimous one spot for D/C including the zone, etc… Everyone else undecided! Good Luck to all the Players/Teams in week 1. Can’t wait to watch it all play out!

Week 1 picks.  Who ya got?  And go! 

Tyler Vs. Marshall
Nacogdoches Vs. Palestine
North Forney Vs. Whitehouse
Texas High Vs. Lone Star
Van Vs. Pine Tree
Hallsville Vs. Terrell
Mt. Pleasant Vs. Pittsburgh

Tyler Vs. Marshall
Texas High Vs. Lone Star
Van Vs. Pine Tree
Hallsville Vs. Terrell

I think 8-5a goes 4-3 this week. Tyler/Marshall and TH/LS will be a toss up. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Week 1 picks.  Who ya got?  And go! 

Tyler Vs. Marshall
Texas High Vs. Lone Star
Van Vs. Pine Tree
Hallsville Vs. Terrell

Tyler

Nac

North Forney

Lone Star

Van

Hallsville

MP

Tyler Vs. Marshall - Homer pick.  IMHO this comes down to 2 things: whether or not Marshall can stop McFail. And how effective the Marshall offense is.  Both teams are returning a lot from last season. Tyler is starting a sophomore QB.  Marshall is starting a junior that got a fair share of snaps last season after the starting QB went down but struggled with consistently. Both teams should have pretty good defenses.  Can McFail carry the lions to victory?  Can Marshall’s defense slow him down?  Will both offenses be sloppy?   Like I said. Homer pick. Mavs get the upset. 

Nacogdoches Vs. Palestine- Nac is returning a bevy of players from last season.  Palestine struggled last year.  Nac had issues with consistency on offense.  I’m pretty interested to see how Nac comes out of the gate. Nac wins comfortably. 

North Forney Vs. Whitehouse- Both we’re pretty terrible last season.  Taking NF because I can.

Texas High Vs. Lone Star - This is a tough game to open the season… especially on the road. The Tigers have a lot of spots to fill from last year’s squad.  Rangers have done well in Division I.  They should be the favorites. 

Van Vs. Pine Tree- I keep going back and forth on this one.  the Pirates lost their stud RB last year.  Going to be hard to replace a guy that good. Will they be one dimensional? O-line has question marks and defense has generally been an illusion at PT. Taking Van. But wouldn’t be shocked to see the Pirates win. 

Hallsville Vs. Terrell-  The Tigers are truly awful and have been for a while. Hallsville’s offense should have a field day.  Terrell is a terrible measuring stick…. But I’m interested in seeing how Hallsville’s defense plays. 

Mt. Pleasant Vs. Pittsburgh-  another one that I feel could go either way.  Pitt has history and pedigree.  But the Tigers have had some momentum the last few seasons.  The question is…. How much will the new systems and coaching staff affect MP’s trajectory.  Especially if they are going to the NASCAR offense.  I wouldn’t be shocked to see Pitt win.  But I’m going to take MP. 

22 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Tyler Vs. Marshall - Homer pick.  IMHO this comes down to 2 things: whether or not Marshall can stop McFail. And how effective the Marshall offense is.  Both teams are returning a lot from last season. Tyler is starting a sophomore QB.  Marshall is starting a junior that got a fair share of snaps last season after the starting QB went down but struggled with consistently. Both teams should have pretty good defenses.  Can McFail carry the lions to victory?  Can Marshall’s defense slow him down.  Will both offenses be sloppy?   Like I said. Homer pick. Mavs get the upset. 

Nacogdoches Vs. Palestine- Nac is returning a bevy of players from last season.  Palestine struggled last year.  Nac had issues with consistency on offense.  I’m pretty interested to see how Nac comes out of the gate. Nac wins comfortably. 

North Forney Vs. Whitehouse- Both we’re pretty terrible last season.  Taking NF because I can.

Texas High Vs. Lone Star - This is a tough game to open the season… especially on the road. The Tigers have a lot of spots to fill from last year’s squad.  Rangers have done well in Division I.  They should be the favorites. 

Van Vs. Pine Tree- I keep going back and forth on this one.  the Pirates lost their stud RB last year.  Going to be hard to replace a guy that good. Will the be one dimensional? Oline has question marks and defense has generally been an illusion at PT. Taking Van. But wouldn’t be shocked to see the Pirates win. 

Hallsville Vs. Terrell-  The Tigers are truly awful and have been for a while. Hallsville’s offense should have a field day.  Terrell is a terrible measuring stick…. But I’m interested in seeing how Hallsville’s defense plays. 

Mt. Pleasant Vs. Pittsburgh-  another one that I feel could go either way.  Pitt has history and pedigree.  But the Tigers have had some momentum the last few seasons.  The question is…. How much will the new systems and coaching staff affect MP’s trajectory.  Especially if they are going to the NASCAR offense.  I wouldn’t be shocked to see Pitt win.  But I’m going to take MP. 

Well, we have he same picks other than your 'Homer' pick. Lol.

I hope we are both right about the other ones. Good luck to you guys, hope ya'll prove me wrong!