2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Obviously things can change once district actually starts.....but based on what we've seen in the first three weeks.....have your predictions changed?

Mine have....at least tentatively

Texas High
Marshall
Whitehouse
Hallsville
Mount Pleasant
Nacogdoches
Pine Tree

MP and Nac have struggled out of the gate.....so maybe they aren't as solid as I thought for the playoffs.  Hallsville and WH haven't had a tough test yet....but they are scoring in bushels.  WH seems to playing better defense than the Bobcats.  Pine Tree is struggling as well.

I know my Pirates will be last. A tad unsettling to see MP lose to two 4A opponents. Nac seems to be in the same boat as MP.  Looking like there is a huge gap between these bottom 3 and top 4 above. My MP as a sleeper pick comment last post which was rejected by some looks to be wrong. Hallsville is probably the best best to upset a 1 or 2 team. 

2 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

As i see it now there are 4 levels of teams in this district. Texas High is alone in the top tier. Marshall has separated themselves into the 2nd level. Hallsville and Whitehouse are in the 3rd grouping as playoff contenders. Then Nac, PT and MP together in the bottom grouping.

Sounds better how you said it. I agree. At PT we knew this was coming unfortunately. Not sure how Nac and MP feel about the start and if it was expected or not. Hallsville finished strong last year. I didnt expect the scorelines from Whitehouse thus far.

Not sure that I agree that Marshall has done anything so far to seperate themselves   from Hallsville and Whitehouse. They’ve beat two teams that are 0-6 and gotten blown out by Longview. I think we’ll know more about them after this week. 
I would circle the game on Sept 30 in Hallsville as one to watch. Right now I’d say it’s a toss up. The Hallsville QB and offense are pretty unstoppable. Wouldn’t surprise me if Hallsville beats them with it being in Hallsville. 

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Not sure that I agree that Marshall has done anything so far to seperate themselves   from Hallsville and Whitehouse. They’ve beat two teams that are 0-6 and gotten blown out by Longview. I think we’ll know more about them after this week. 
I would circle the game on Sept 30 in Hallsville as one to watch. Right now I’d say it’s a toss up. The Hallsville QB and offense are pretty unstoppable. Wouldn’t surprise me if Hallsville beats them with it being in Hallsville. 

I agree Marshall will need to take Hallsville and Whitehouse very seriously to come out with a W. Just like Texas High will have to take the 3 other opponents seriously. I think what puts Marshall one small tier up is the defense, because Whitehouse and Hallsville can both put up 40-50 points with no problems. 

Yes, Marshall has 2 wins against struggling opponents, but at least they were able to put the games away by 3rd quarter. Longview is going to blow out any team not named Lancaster most likely. Lufkin may keep it close early, just because of the rivalry factor.  

We (MP) are very disappointed that we didn't come our with a W Friday. However, we held an athletic LE team to 99 yds total offense for the night. Two special teams turnovers and gave them the ball at the 7 and 19. Those were their two scores started. Now, we have to get that cleaned up. Offense plenty of yardage, just shot ourselves in the foot with critical penalties that kill drives and missed some plays we should've made. All that was self induced, so we have a chance to clean it up and get it lined out with this new staff. Effort, attitude and coaching has been great. Gotta figure out how to 'win'.

Defense keep working, clean up special teams, offense - it's time to convert yardage and opportunities.

If we do, we are in the playoff hunt, if not it will be a woulda coulda shoulda thing. 

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Hallsville beat Henderson 49-35

Marshall beat Henderson 44-7

This is probably a more accurate depiction.  This is why blowout scores are misleading.  What happens in the 4th quarter is pretty irrelevant.  At the end of 3 quarters:

Hallsville 42 Henderson 14 (28 pt differential )

Marshall 37 Henderson 7 (30 pt differential )

So, like a said, Marshall hasn't done anything yet to prove they are better (or worse) than Hallsville.  It's a toss up at this point.  If they come out and play tough against Carthage and Hallsville struggles against Kilgore then that can change.

35 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

This is probably a more accurate depiction.  This is why blowout scores are misleading.  What happens in the 4th quarter is pretty irrelevant.  At the end of 3 quarters:

Hallsville 42 Henderson 14 (28 pt differential )

Marshall 37 Henderson 7 (30 pt differential )

So, like a said, Marshall hasn't done anything yet to prove they are better (or worse) than Hallsville.  It's a toss up at this point.  If they come out and play tough against Carthage and Hallsville struggles against Kilgore then that can change.

Either of us can twist numbers to our favor. 

Why stop at the end of three?  Stop at halftime: 

Hallsville lead Henderson 28-14. 
Marshall lead Henderson 30-0. 

Why not stop after one quarter?
 It was 23-0 after one quarter for Marshall. Hallsville lead 14-7 after one. 

Marshall dominated much sooner.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Either of us can twist numbers to our favor. 

Why stop at the end of three?  Stop at halftime: 

Hallsville lead Henderson 28-14. 
Marshall lead Henderson 30-0. 

Why not stop after one quarter?
 It was 23-0 after one quarter for Marshall. Hallsville lead 14-7 after one. 

Marshall dominated much sooner.  

Yeah, but I heard Hallsville was up 7-0 getting off the bus!!!!

Just now, PantherNation2015 said:

Don’t you think the same will happen this week in Marshall?

I don't know what to expect this week in Marshall.  I find it really hard to gauge Marshall.  Haven't seen much of their games.  Throw out the Longview loss cuz they are beating everyone.  But Tyler isnt very good and Henderson is atrocious.  

On Carthage's side, they haven't played anyone very good either.  I think Kilgore is better than Henderson, but not sure they are better than Tyler.

I think there will be some struggles on both sides of the ball for Carthage.  Marshall's defensive front will cause issues.  It will be on Cuff to make good presnap reads for sure.  Surratt is pretty good about playing around a weakness.  Defensively, we haven't seen an offense that has really tested this inexperienced defense with speed and athleticism.  Questions will be answered Friday, I know that.

• Like 1

Fist of all congrats to Lumberton for a great game plan and great game overall on Friday. Reyes was ready for the game and it showed.

With that being said, most Nac fans I have talked to are thoroughly disgusted by the way this teams has started. This group that came back for their senior year had back to playoff years with a tougher schedule than they have played so far. 

Return TDs, Blocked Punts, Blocked FG's  snaps over the punters heads and the inability for the offense to give the defense any help what so ever. 

What was once a promising out look to the season has quickly turned into wondering who exactly we can beat if we cant win a non-district game. 

MP hopefully puts a game away this week! (28-14) W

Hallsville - better than expected, I think Kilgore will be a good guage. (21-14) W

Nac - Tough one with TCH (48 - 14)L

PT - Should take Jville (42-21) W

Marshall - I want to see this one. I agree they've been hard to tell so far. This week will be the tell/tell (35 - 21)L

THigh - Just a diff level, IMO

Whitehouse - Should beat Hendo. This will tell their level for sure. (28-21) W

On 9/10/2022 at 1:19 AM, Mavchamp said:

Week 4
Carthage (3-0) Vs. Marshall (2-1)
Hallsville (3-0) Vs. Kilgore (1-2)
Chapel Hill (1-2) Vs. Nacogdoches (0-3)
Whitehouse (3-0) Vs. Henderson (0-3)
Mount Pleasant (1-2) Vs. Frisco Emerson (3-0)
Tyler Legacy (0-3) Vs. Texas High (2-1)
Jacksonville (0-3) Vs. Pine Tree (0-3)

Carthage big

Kilgore close

CH big

WH close

MP big

Texas High big

Jax close

Marshall in a close game.

Hallsville O keeps it going 

CH over Nac didn’t think Nac would be 0-3 

Whitehouse wins

I want MP to get the win but not sure if they will. 

PT gets the first win of the season. 

Texas QB went down in 2nd quarter v Benton. Not sure if he is back or not hope they can continue on O without him. 

• Like 1

Carthage (3-0) Vs. Marshall (2-1)-  Total homer pick.  I think the Marshall ground game will keep Carthage's high-powered offense on the sidelines by playing keep-away from the Bulldogs.  The best defense we can have is an offense that keeps the ball for long sustained drives that end in touchdowns.  The Mav defense needs to make some stops...maybe get a turnover or two and give the ball back to the offense to grind it out some more.  Mavs in a close one.

Hallsville (3-0) Vs. Kilgore (1-2)-  Either team winning this game wouldn't surprise me.  It's a coin-toss.  I'm not sold on Hallsville's defense yet.  Their offense looks completely legit though.  This is going to come down to  two things:  Can Kilgore's defense slow down this Hallsville offense that has been lighting it up this season.....  AND... can Hallsville's defense get enough stops to keep the Bulldogs from sidelining the Bobcat offense?  Should be a fun game to watch.

Chapel Hill (1-2) Vs. Nacogdoches (0-3)-  Nac either over-performed last season.... or this squad is grossly under=performing....I'm not sure which one.  This is a veteran Nac squad with back to back playoff appearances.  But they are STRUGGLING.  Chapel Hill seems to be getting their act together at the right time.  The Dragons are struggling offensively, defensively, and in special teams.  That's bad news when a program like CH is coming to town.   CH comfortably.  

Whitehouse (3-0) Vs. Henderson (0-3)-  Whitehouse by a lot.

Mount Pleasant (1-2) Vs. Frisco Emerson (3-0) - For a new school... Emerson seems to be pulling it all together in a hurry with their (3-0) start.   MP has looked good at times....not so good others.  Just like last season they are bitten with ill-timed turnovers (not that there's a good time for them).  They've also been plagued with shaky Special Teams play.  Their competition thus far is a little suspect too....so I really have no idea where MP is this season.  Emerson in a close one. 

Tyler Legacy (0-3) Vs. Texas High (2-1)- Texas High by as many as they want to win by.  Legacy is truly awful.  How they managed to beat Tyler is beyond me.... but what Longview did to them last week should be illegal.  Texas High may or may not have their starting QB....but TBH... I don't think it really matters.  THS should win no matter who the QB is..... hell..they may not even need a quarterback to win.  

Jacksonville (0-3) Vs. Pine Tree (0-3)-  I honestly have no idea who to take in this game.  Neither of them have played particularly well thus far this season.  Jackosville's offense seems to be better than PT's... scoring 21 Vs. Whitehouse and 37 Vs. Crandall.  BUT...their defense is atrocious giving up 21, 54, 42.  Pine Tree's offense has struggled and has only scored 14 twice and 17.... but their defense looks stronger giving up 28, 40, and 20.  Going to take Jax offense over PT's defense.  I think.

21 hours ago, RogerDorn said:

Marshall in a close game.

Hallsville O keeps it going 

CH over Nac didn’t think Nac would be 0-3 

Whitehouse wins

I want MP to get the win but not sure if they will. 

PT gets the first win of the season. 

Texas QB went down in 2nd quarter v Benton. Not sure if he is back or not hope they can continue on O without him. 

One of the guys Txk Gameday mentioned Qb will miss the rest of the season....600 yards and 6 tds through 5 quarters...Hate that for the senior....I hope he makes it back for baseball season. 

Sophomore qb came in and finished 12/16 155 yards and 2 Td’s but don’t think he is the athlete that #10 is yet...T High oline will have to take care of the freshman RB and now sophomore Qb. 

Edited by RogerDorn

40 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

One of the guys Txk Gameday mentioned Qb will miss the rest of the season....600 yards and 6 tds through 5 quarters...Hate that for the senior....I hope he makes it back for baseball season. 

Sophomore qb came in and finished 12/16 155 yards and 2 Td’s but don’t think he is the athlete that #10 is yet...T High oline will have to take care of the freshman RB and now sophomore Qb. 

No program knows the pain of losing the starting QB than Marshall. 

2021, 2019, 2015, 2013, 2010…..  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

No program knows the pain of losing the starting QB than Marshall. 

2021, 2019, 2015, 2013, 2010…..  

what year was it when the Qb left to go play in Shreveport? Marshall wasn’t bad but probably would have been a lot better if 3 year starter would have played his senior year. 

I might be wrong but 2 if not all 3 wrs are juniors so coming in and playing this year does help going forward but would think it is gonna take a few games to get caught up. Defense will have to play better imo

9 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

what year was it when the Qb left to go play in Shreveport? Marshall wasn’t bad but probably would have been a lot better if 3 year starter would have played his senior year. 

Had an offer for Nebraska. 
But the combination of poor parenting and his former coach in his ear trying to sabotage his successor (that’s a whole other story) all but ended his football career. 

Played one game in Shreveport and never too another HS snap.  No college. 

sad sad sad. He had tons of talent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogerDorn said:

Oh wow. That’s a massive loss for the Tigers.

• Like 1