2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

I'm (21-7) thus far this season....... let's get district picks started.......

Hallsville Vs. Texas High:  I honestly think Hallsville may have the best offense in the district.....but their defense has given up 137 points.  Only Nac has given up more (168).  That's 34.2 PPG.  But the Bobcats haven't faced a Frisco Lone Star, a Longview, a Lufkin, a Colleyville Heritage, or a Carthage calibered team.  They've given up 41 to a (1-3) Terrell team, 35 to an (0-4) Henderson team, and 40 to a (2-2) Kilgore.  Texas High will no doubt miss their starters, but THS has proven through the years they have depth and they probably have the best coaching staff in the district.  I think the Tigers keep the Hallsville offense on the sidelines and they grind out a win with a strong running game and a stingy defense.

Pine Tree Vs. Marshall:  Marshall fans are trying to gauge exactly where their team is.  In their wins over Tyler and Henderson they dominated from start to finish.  The Mav offense ran wild in both games and the QB was efficient with over 100 yards passing.  Mav starting defense held Henderson to and JT to less than 200 yards.  BUT...in their losses to #1 Longview and #1 Carthage the Mav offense was grounded to less than 200 yards and the defense struggled to get off the field in both games.  Meanwhile PT has struggled to an 0-4 start with a schedule completely filled with 4A teams that have a combined record of (7-9).  They are giving up 29.7 PPG and scoring only 16.5.  I think the Marshall running game comes back to life this week and PT's offensive struggles continue.

Whitehouse Vs. Nacogdoches:  Nac has given up the most points (168) in non-district play of all the teams in 8-5A.  That's an eye-popping 42 PPG.  To make matters worse.....they have the lowest scoring offense in the district with only 54 points scored.  That's an average of only 13.3 PPG.  Meanwhile Whitehouse is averaging 50.5 PPG in offense and only surrounding 24.  This could get really ugly for the Dragons.  Looks like the Wildcats will be coasting to their fifth straight win.

Mount Pleasant- BYE:  MP wins by 2 over bye.

Week 5 Scores
Texas High beat Hallsville 56-31
Marshall beat Pine Tree 36-7
Nacogdoches beat Whitehouse 34-23
Mount Pleasant- BYE

Standings
Texas High (1-0), (4-1)
Marshall (1-0), (3-2)
Nacogdoches (1-0), (1-4)
Mount Pleasant (0-0), (1-3)
Whitehouse (0-1), (4-1)
Hallsville (0-1), (3-2)
Pine Tree (0-1), (0-5)

Hallsville/Texarkana:  Texas High spotted Hallsville a 7-0 lead thanks to a botched punt at the THS 3.   yardline.  It looked like a battle at 14-10 Tigers.....and then Texarkana took over.  The Tigers took a 35-10 lead into the lockeroom at the half.  They each traded a pair of scores in the third for a 49-24 Tiger lead.  Tigers wrapped up the win 56-31.

Pine Tree/Marshall:  The Mavs rolled up 400 yards of offense while holding PT to 172.  The Marshall defense upheld a 14-0 lead in the first half.  The Mav offense finally came alive in the second half exploding for 22 points.

Whitehouse/Nacogdoches: Dragons got the biggest upset of the night with their win over Whitehouse.  Nac ran the ball at will most of the night against the Wildcat defense and used several turnovers to keep WH at bay.

Mount Pleasant- BYE

-------------------------

COMING UP NEXT
Marshall Vs. Hallsville
Nacogdoches Vs. Pine Tree
Texarkana Vs. Mount Pleasant
Whitehouse- Bye

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Week 5 Scores
Texas High beat Hallsville 56-31
Marshall beat Pine Tree 36-7
Nacogdoches beat Whitehouse 34-23
Mount Pleasant- BYE

Standings
Texas High (1-0), (4-1)
Marshall (1-0), (3-2)
Nacogdoches (1-0), (1-4)
Mount Pleasant (0-0), (1-3)
Whitehouse (0-1), (4-1)
Hallsville (0-1), (3-2)
Pine Tree (0-1), (0-5)

Hallsville/Texarkana:  Texas High spotted Hallsville a 7-0 lead thanks to a botched punt at the THS 3.   yardline.  It looked like a battle at 14-10 Tigers.....and then Texarkana took over.  The Tigers took a 35-10 lead into the lockeroom at the half.  They each traded a pair of scores in the third for a 49-24 Tiger lead.  Tigers wrapped up the win 56-31.

Pine Tree/Marshall:  The Mavs rolled up 400 yards of offense while holding PT to 172.  The Marshall defense upheld a 14-0 lead in the first half.  The Mav offense finally came alive in the second half exploding for 22 points.

Whitehouse/Nacogdoches: Dragons got the biggest upset of the night with their win over Whitehouse.  Nac ran the ball at will most of the night against the Wildcat defense and used several turnovers to keep WH at bay.

Mount Pleasant- BYE

-------------------------

COMING UP NEXT
Marshall Vs. Hallsville
Nacogdoches Vs. Pine Tree
Texarkana Vs. Mount Pleasant
Whitehouse- Bye

Is Nac better than we thought or is WH worse? This complicates the last two playoff spots for some teams. Can Nac keep it going? 

37 minutes ago, tomlandry said:

Is Nac better than we thought or is WH worse? This complicates the last two playoff spots for some teams. Can Nac keep it going? 

Nac had a tougher non-district schedule no doubt.  They could very well be better than we thought. That Palestine loss was the one that jumped out at me.

There have been a lot of folks on SDC that felt like WH had an inflated self worth with their powder-puff non-district schedule.  It seemed to hurt some people's feelings when you pointed it out.  I guess we will know in the coming weeks if that comes to roost.

It's only week one....no one can be overlooked.  

Pine Tree looks to have had the most lop-sided loss.....and I'll be the first to tell anyone.... if you overlook the Pirates... they will BEAT YOU.  They have some skill guys and as always, they have athletes all over the field.  Their running back (Robinson) has some serious jets.  He can move the ball.  If their WR's and their QB ever get on the same page.... their passing game will be dangerous.  And TBH.... PT's defense looks better than Hallsville's and Whitehouse's thus far...at least statistically.

Hallsville and WH can't be overlooked because their offenses mean business.  Yeah....their defenses have been shaky....but when you can score from anywhere on the field... that kind of forgives a little.  Would not be wise to overlook either of them.

Nac won....but clearly they've shown they can be beat.  So they aren't stellar.  So they can't let up any in spite of their loss.

Marshall's one dimensional offense is worrisome for some of us.  Our defense has been stellar outside of the Carthage and Longview games....but those two teams have made everyone look bad.  Our running game has been succesful in each game except Carthage.  We even managed some real estate against Longview.  But our absent passing game definitely makes us beatable.

Texas High is the 300lbs gorilla in this district..... they are scoring lots of points in spite of being without the services of their starting QB or their starting RB.  However... their defense has given up a goof amount of points too.  Definitely a chink in the armor.

All to say this.... every team has their strengths and every team has their weaknesses.  I don't think anyone in this district is good enough to overlook anyone or take a game for granted.

3 hours ago, tomlandry said:

Maybe both!!!

Nac, did things yesterday they haven't done all year. We started our senior QB and ran the Shotgun wishbone Veer. We didn't turn the ball over, other than an INT to end the half. Nac played great defense and kept Whitehouse off the field. 

Whitehouse on the other hand was 4-0 playing a less than stellar non-district schedule. Now, they did what they were supposed too and won big. WH seemed to have a very simple offense but they execute everything out of the hurry up offense so you have to keep their offense off the field. Their QB struggled to connect on anything other than the swing pass out in the flat. Everything down the field was broken up or intercepted. 

Marshall won 2 of 3 from Hallsville tonight in Sub varsity action.

Junior Varsity won over 28-0 to improve to (3-2) (2-0)on the season.  They are one play at the final buzzer from being (4-1).  Three straight wins over Carthage, Pine Tree, and Hallsville.

9th A team lost Hallsville 13-6.  Team has really struggled since losing their RB1.   They are (2-4) (1-1).

9th B team won 16-6.  They are (3-2).... (2-0) includes a win over the Sabine JV.

Big game tomorrow for the varsity.  Time to take care of business!

Nacogdoches Vs. Pine Tree-  If the Nac that played Whitehouse shows up for this game...I think the Dragons win it handily.  If the Nac that played Palestine and Lumberton shows up...Pine Tree is more than capable of winning this game.  Pine Tree's defense isn't lousy.  Their offense has a great RB....but a wildly inconsistent passing game (why don't they just run it?).  Nac's inconsistency worries me.  But I'm going to reward their win last week by picking them this week.  

Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant-   Texarkana is Texarkana.  They just reload annually.  Lose your starting QB and RB?  NBD.  Win win win.  MP seems to have flashes of brilliance on offense....but they too are inconsistent  But mostly MP is a little wild with their penalties and their turnovers.  Those two things can spell doom for any team...no matter how good or bad they are.  Taking the Orange Tigers over the Yellow Tigers by a comfortable margin. 

Marshall Vs. Hallsville-   It's a rivalry game...so all bets are off.  Marshall has dominated this series, but Hallsville is always tough.  Playing in Bobcat "homecoookin: Stadium makes them even tougher.  The Bobcats likely has the best offense in the district....but their defense has REALLY struggled this season.  Marshall has had 300-yard rushing games three times this season.  Taking the Mavs to win a tough one....keeping the ball for long drives and make the Bobcat offense watch from the sidelines.

Whitehouse- Bye (Nac beat them)

21 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Nacogdoches Vs. Pine Tree-  If the Nac that played Whitehouse shows up for this game...I think the Dragons win it handily.  If the Nac that played Athens and Lumberton shows up...Pine Tree is more than capable of winning this game.  Pine Tree's defense isn't lousy.  Their offense has a great RB....but a wildly inconsistent passing game (why don't they just run it?).  Nac's inconsistency worries me.  But I'm going to reward their win last week by picking them this week.  

Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant-   Texarkana is Texarkana.  They just reload annually.  Lose your starting QB and RB?  NBD.  Win win win.  MP seems to have flashes of brilliance on offense....but they too are inconsistent  But mostly MP is a little wild with their penalties and their turnovers.  Those two things can spell doom for any team...no matter how good or bad they are.  Taking the Orange Tigers over the Yellow Tigers by a comfortable margin. 

Marshall Vs. Hallsville-   It's a rivalry game...so all bets are off.  Marshall has dominated this series, but Hallsville is always tough.  Playing in Bobcat "homecoookin: Stadium makes them even tougher.  The Bobcats likely has the best offense in the district....but their defense has REALLY struggled this season.  Marshall has had 300-yard rushing games three times this season.  Taking the Mavs to win a tough one....keeping the ball for long drives and make the Bobcat offense watch from the sidelines.

Palestine lol

11 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Nacogdoches Vs. Pine Tree-  If the Nac that played Whitehouse shows up for this game...I think the Dragons win it handily.  If the Nac that played Palestine and Lumberton shows up...Pine Tree is more than capable of winning this game.  Pine Tree's defense isn't lousy.  Their offense has a great RB....but a wildly inconsistent passing game (why don't they just run it?).  Nac's inconsistency worries me.  But I'm going to reward their win last week by picking them this week.  

NAC
THIGH
MARSHALL

8-5A Standings
Texas High (2-0), (5-1)
Hallsville (1-1), (4-2)
Marshall (1-1), (3-3)
Pine Tree (1-1), (1-5)
Nacogdoches (1-1), (1-5)
Whitehouse (0-1), (4-1)
Mount Pleasant (0-1), (1-4)

Week 6 SCORES
Texas High beat Mount Pleasant 58-27
Hallsville beat Marshall 41-37
Pine Tree beat Nacogdoches 49-14
Whitehouse- OFF

Week 7 SCHEDULE
Hallsville Vs. Nacogdoches
Mount Pleasant Vs. Marshall
Pine Tree Vs. Whitehouse

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

8-5A Standings
Texas High (2-0), (5-1)
Hallsville (1-1), (4-2)
Marshall (1-1), (3-3)
Pine Tree (1-1), (1-5)
Nacogdoches (1-1), (1-5)
Whitehouse (0-1), (4-1)

Week 6 SCORES
Whitehouse- OFF

Week 7 SCHEDULE
Pine Tree Vs. Whitehouse

I don’t like our chances against Hallsville.

22 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

I don’t like our chances against Hallsville.

You probably shouldn’t. 

BUT anyone is beatable in this district with all the terrible defenses except THS. 

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

You probably shouldn’t. 

BUT anyone is beatable in this district with all the terrible defenses except THS. 

Even THS is beatable. They have shown a tendency to give up the “big play” which they need to clean up during their bye week.

21 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

You probably shouldn’t. 

Yeah but there’s no more room for error. We couldn’t stop a backup qb I don’t expect us to beat this kid from Hallsville.

1 minute ago, nacdragon07 said:

Yeah but there’s no more room for error. We couldn’t stop a backup qb I don’t expect us to beat this kid from Hallsville.

He’s the real deal. 

But it’s not about stopping Hallsville’s offense to beat them… no one has stopped them.

It’s about Nac’s offense’s ability to keep up with them.   If they can…. You have a chance to win. . If they can’t…. Hallsville will run wild. 

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

He’s the real deal. 

But it’s not about stopping Hallsville’s offense to beat them… no one has stopped them.

It’s about Nac’s offense’s ability to keep up with them.   If they can…. You have a chance to win. . If they can’t…. Hallsville will run wild. 

That’s the sad part our offense hasn’t shown the ability to keep up. Our biggest problem is depth most of our starters are playing two ways like our qb and our Running backs and our receivers. It’s frustrating.

On 10/1/2022 at 12:43 AM, Mavchamp said:

8-5A Standings
Texas High (2-0), (5-1)
Hallsville (1-1), (4-2)
Marshall (1-1), (3-3)
Pine Tree (1-1), (1-5)
Nacogdoches (1-1), (1-5)
Whitehouse (0-1), (4-1)

Week 6 SCORES
Whitehouse- OFF

Week 7 SCHEDULE
Pine Tree Vs. Whitehouse

Hallsville - firing on all cylinders. Letting the district know they are gunning for 2nd and their handling of Marshall proves it. 

Marshall - regroup against chaotic and undisciplined MP team with a win. Marshall loses this somehow and there will be lots of explaining to do.

Pine Tree - My Pirates win in the wasteland that is WH. I want this one! 

It's still REALLY early to be making playoff projections because things happen.  Upsets, injuries, weather...a million things can derail a "sure thing".

BUT..... here's how things COULD stack up after this week

Texas High- Idle
Hallsville over Nac
Marshall over MP
PT/WH_ Draw

Texas High (2-0)
Hallsville (2-1)
Marshall (2-1)
PT (2-1) or WH (1-1)

--------

Lovejoy over Princeton
Melissa over Poteet
Crandall over Greenville 
Denison over Terrell

Lovejoy (3-0)
Melissa (3-0)
Crandall (2-1)
Denison (2-1)

FIRST ROUND PROJECTIONS
Crandall/Denison loser at Texas High
Crandall/Denison winner at Hallsville
Marshall at Lovejoy/Melissa loser
Pine Tree/Whitehouse winner at Lovejoy/Melissa winner

Toss this all out the window if there are any upsets.

4 hours ago, tomlandry said:

Hallsville - firing on all cylinders. Letting the district know they are gunning for 2nd and their handling of Marshall proves it. 

"handling of Marshall".....sorry but I am not buying it...Marshall was their own worst enemy in the first half.  Hallsville can't stop anyone.  Marshall should have put 50 on the board.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

"handling of Marshall".....sorry but I am not buying it...Marshall was their own worst enemy in the first half.  Hallsville can't stop anyone.  Marshall should have put 50 on the board.

I'm not going to take anything away from Hallsville.  They came out and punched us in the mouth.  They did all the things they needed to do to get the win.  Mad props to them.  But UGH....we definitely had our chances to take it.  Multiple times.

We seemed to think showing up was all it was going to take.  Very lazy.....  I guess they thought all the success we've had Vs. Hallsville in the past was going to carry us.  All streaks come to an end....and it did.

IMHO.....our play calling in the first half was atrocious.  Execution wasn't much better.  We didn't really try to do the things we've done so well all season.  Hallsville stacked the box and dared us to throw the ball.  We became so vanilla/safe/predictable it was mind boggling.

We finally went back to our normal game plan in the second half...and BAM....we scored 37 points. 

But all those trips deep into Bobcat territory that came away with 0 points killed us.  So many chances for more points.... missed PAT, missed FG, TD called back on a penalty......

Credit to Hallsville...they capitalized on our mistakes and our conservatism in the first half.  Made us pay.

It was very frustrating.

But TBH..... outside of Texas High....anyone in the district is beatable in several games.

No one can overlook anyone...... 

I'm concerned about several games for Marshall......namely THS and WH.

Hallsville is beatable with a passing game (Whitehouse, MP, Pine Tree)

WH could lose to Hallsville, PT, Marshall

Nac's win over WH and then melting down Vs. PT is just....wow.  But they could upset someone else

MP's passing game could cause trouble for Marshall, Hallsville, and PT.

I think this could end up a muddled mess before it's all said and done.

• Like 1