2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

Obviously.... Texas High was the preseason favorite to repeat as district champs.....  and IS STILL the heavy favorite.

I'm curious....IF (huge IF) Marshall gets the upset..... are we looking at a tri-champion situation like we saw with Marshall/Longview/Texas High in 2015?

Hallsville will be a favorite in all their remaining games.  WH may test them....but I still think the Bobcats take it.

But if Marshall upsets THS..... and all three finish (5-1) in district..... it'll be interesting to see how the tie breaker determines the home and away teams for the first round of the playoffs.

Of course all of this is moot is THS wins....or if Whitehouse beats Hallsville.  Could make for a wild final two weeks.

I'm glad I decided against the 7 night Caribbean cruise at the end of the month and took the 5 night instead.  I might have been a little seasick if I was still on a ship for a must-win game the last week of the season.  lmao.

I Got all the stats and fun history stuff posted.  Historically it's been a great series....but TXH has had the success against Marshall 2002-present that Marshall had over them from 1980-1997.  Identical records in fact.  Crazy.  

ENJOY!

Marshall Vs. Texas High GAMEDAY Page:  https://www.marshallmavericks.net/gameday

Main Page: https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

not sure how that would work.... 2015 LV and T High went big school and Marshall and Hallsville went small school if I remember correct 

Yeah.... that's why I'm wondering. 

I don't know what the tiebreaker system is now since we are already separated into divisions.  I'm guessing point spreads.  

11 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

Hallsville got a big first round win over Ennis that year , could have beat Lancaster in the 2nd rd (30-23)

Yup.... all that talk from the south district that year.... said they were going to sweep the north district.

But I think Tyler's win over Texas High was the only game they won.

Longview had a HUGE come from behind win over Lufkin.  Marshall beat Lindale (who had given Ennis, Tyler, and Lufkin all they wanted), and Hallsville upset Ennis.

Was a fun year.  Longview went 4 deep I think.  Marshall went 3 deep.  Hallsville 2 deep.  North district that season had a great year.  2018 was another good year if I recall.  UGH.  My Mavs were 1 point short of a quarterfinal that year.  Still bitter about the decision to go for 2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ace1122 said:

Everyone says you’ll never beat Lovejoy if you finish 4th. But everyone I’ve talked to said this district matches up well with everyone else including Melissa. Would be nice to see 8-5a win in the postseason as a whole.

IMHO....from what I've seen from both districts thus far..... Almost any of the playoff contender teams are beatable on any given night by another contender. 

Everyone seems to have a fatal flaw that can undo them....even in the first round. 

Etx 5a  has been down some but not like it’s made out to be imo. agree not as many teams are making that run but at least one team from etx 5a has just about every year(2000-2009) marshall, SS, Texas High , Longview , Lufkin if those count ...09 Sulphur Springs wins state (small school) and Longview gets beat at State (big school) both from same Etx district. Longview / John Tyler had some runs (2010-2018)as did Marshall (2014-2020)....split the past 2 years 2-2 in the first round and Texas High played in to 4th round last year ...would love to see more than one team from Etx can make a run these next few years 

21 minutes ago, Ace1122 said:

Everyone says you’ll never beat Lovejoy if you finish 4th. But everyone I’ve talked to said this district matches up well with everyone else including Melissa. Would be nice to see 8-5a win in the postseason as a whole.

I agree !!

4 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

Etx 5a  has been down some but not like it’s made out to be imo. agree not as many teams are making that run but at least one team from etx 5a has just about every year(2000-2009) marshall, SS, Texas High , Longview , Lufkin if those count ...09 Sulphur Springs wins state (small school) and Longview gets beat at State (big school) both from same Etx district. Longview / John Tyler had some runs (2010-2018)as did Marshall (2014-2020)....split the past 2 years 2-2 in the first round and Texas High played in to 4th round last year ...would love to see more than one team from Etx can make a run these next few years 

I agree 100%

"Down" is relative to who's talking about it. 

Some fandoms consider third round losses as disappointing seasons by their standards.  

I don't think anyone in 8-5A is at that level right now.

Even though Marshall has had some tough seasons in the last 20 years..... I find it hard to complain when compared to most of our district compatriots.   We've had 2 state title appearances, 4 regional appearances, and only missed the playoffs 4 times in the last 20 years. 

Compare us to everyone in district 8-5A (current and former members) besides THS....and we're the top dog.

Compare us to Longview.....and we're far inferior to what they've accomplished in the same amount of time.

SS had some great runs....but fell on hard times.  Looks like they will benefit being in 4A. 

Texas High has been fantastic the last few years after being in a near-decade long playoff funk.

Lufkin was up there with Longview for years too....and it looks like they are coming back to Earth a bit with THS and Marshall.  Only time will tell. 

Same with Tyler. 

Each will have some good years...but will have mediocre years too.

Longview is the gold standard right now in Big School football in East Texas..... and from the looks of it.... that's not changing anytime soon. They are already talking up classes as far out as 26 and 27 and beyond.  That's a luxury none of the rest of us have.

But IMHO..... Texas High has the best staff in ETX 5A Div II.  And Alvarez IMHO... is building something special in Marshall.  I feel like we are pointed North.  Hallsville seems on the uptick.  Whitehouse is almost always a contender.  Nac, MP, and PT are the ones I'm kind of scratching my heads at.  All three seemed to be on the rise just 2 years ago...but they have kind of fallen back into their old habits.

--------

Anyhow.......I'm ready for Friday night.  Win or lose.  Very excited about this team and the growth we're seeing on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Yup.... all that talk from the south district that year.... said they were going to sweep the north district.

But I think Tyler's win over Texas High was the only game they won.

Longview had a HUGE come from behind win over Lufkin.  Marshall beat Lindale (who had given Ennis, Tyler, and Lufkin all they wanted), and Hallsville upset Ennis.

Was a fun year.  Longview went 4 deep I think.  Marshall went 3 deep.  Hallsville 2 deep.  North district that season had a great year.  2018 was another good year if I recall.  UGH.  My Mavs were 1 point short of a quarterfinal that year.  Still bitter about the decision to go for 2.

Think 2015 was the year you're thinking of with Marshall beating Lindale and Hallsville upsetting Ennis. Lobos dominated Lufkin in that one. We got a lot of talk both in 2014 and 2015 about how much that south district was going to roll over us all. Believe 2014 we finished 2-2.

2015 was fun just because the top three were actually pretty even. Don't think we could say that about many years when we've dropped. We should gone to state that season, but alas. We wouldn't of won, but we definitely should've been there at the very least.

2018, I know we were in 6A but was that the alignment that threw T High to the far west instead of staying out east? I know Tyler fans feel they missed out on winning state that year for sure. Had forgotten Marshall was that close that year to going 4 deep as well.

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

2018, I know we were in 6A but was that the alignment that threw T High to the far west instead of staying out east? I know Tyler fans feel they missed out on winning state that year for sure. Had forgotten Marshall was that close that year to going 4 deep as well.

THS was 5A-D1 in 2018. I think Tyler was the only D-1 in East Texas. I think the eastern suburbs of Dallas were happy to see the Tigers drop to D-2. It wasn’t because of competition, but they are not geared to 3 hour bus rides.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 4:23 PM, Ace1122 said:

1 and 2 from both district will win.  3 and 4 will both lose.  Districts will split 2-2.  

On 10/12/2022 at 7:06 PM, Leopard4Life said:

1 and 2 from both district will win.  3 and 4 will both lose.  Districts will split 2-2.  

I disagree.  I hate to say it, but the level of competition over towards the metroplex has gotten significantly tougher compared to east Texas in the last few years.

I think in the first round:

Lovejoy blows out Whitehouse

Melissa blows out Marshall

Crandall beats Hallsville in a good game

Texas High blows out Terrell

I think Texas High's season ends in the 3rd round against Lovejoy after beating a good Everman team in the 2nd round.

I will say however that it's not out of the realm of possibility for Melissa to upset Lovejoy and win that district.  I don't think they are too far behind them. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I disagree.  I hate to say it, but the level of competition over towards the metroplex has gotten significantly tougher compared to east Texas in the last few years.

I think Texas High's season ends in the 3rd round against Lovejoy after beating a good Everman team in the 2nd round.

I will say however that it's not out of the realm of possibility for Melissa to upset Lovejoy and win that district.  I don't think they are too far behind them. 

Absolutely

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

#1 Whitehouse is not a lock to get into the playoffs right now, if Nac can win against MP tonight means Whitehouse is going to have to beat either Hallsville, Marshall or Texas High to get in a Tie with Nac and Nac goes.

#2 the only team in our district than can chalk up a win against the Bi-District team is Texas High. Lovejoy, Melissa and Crandall are all very good this year and score a lot of points. Lovejoy or Melissa will only have 1 loss to the other one and Crandall's only losses are going to be to Lovejoy and Melissa. This might be Crandall's best team ever and because they are in with Lovejoy and Melissa they are going to finish 3rd. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

#1 Whitehouse is not a lock to get into the playoffs right now, if Nac can win against MP tonight means Whitehouse is going to have to beat either Hallsville, Marshall or Texas High to get in a Tie with Nac and Nac goes.

#2 the only team in our district than can chalk up a win against the Bi-District team is Texas High. Lovejoy, Melissa and Crandall are all very good this year and score a lot of points. Lovejoy or Melissa will only have 1 loss to the other one and Crandall's only losses are going to be to Lovejoy and Melissa. This might be Crandall's best team ever and because they are in with Lovejoy and Melissa they are going to finish 3rd. 

No doubt.  When you you're making predictions this far out, especially for the 4th place teams, it's just an educated guess, but I do think MP wins tonight and things play out the way I said.  There's an oustside chance Whitehouse could beat Marshall as well.  Regardless of how it all shakes out I feel pretty confident Lovejoy, Melissa, Crandall, and T High will be the teams moving on to the second round.

• Like 1

STANDINGS
Texas High (6-1), (3-0)
Whitehouse (6-1), (2-1)
Hallsville (5-3), (2-2)
Marshall (4-4), (2-2)
Pine Tree (1-6), (1-2)
Mount Pleasant (2-6), (1-2)
Nacogdoches (1-7), (1-3)

Week 8 Scores
Texas High beat Marshall 42-35
Whitehouse beat Hallsville 56-42
Mount Pleasant beat Nacogdoches 45-13

Week 9 Schedule
Texarkana Vs. Nacogdoches
Mount Pleasant Vs. Whitehouse
Hallsville Vs. Pine Tree
Marshall- OFF

Texas High has clinched a playoff berth with their win over Marshall.  Whitehouse will clinch with a win over Mount Pleasant.  Hallsville will clinch with a win over Pine Tree.  Marshall can all but clinch even though they are idle if MP losses to Whitehouse, Nac loses to Texas High, and Pine Tree losses to Hallsville.

Barring upsets in the final two weeks....that would all but clinch the four playoff spots for THS, WH, Hallsville, and Marshall with seeding to be determined.  

-------------------

7-5A Standings
Lovejoy (5-2, 4-0)
Melissa (5-2, 4-0)
Crandall (5-2, 2-2)
Terrell (3-4, 2-2)
Mesquite Poteet (2-5, 2-2)
Denison (3-4, 1-3)
Greenville (2-5, 1-3)
Princeton (1-5, 0-3)

Mesquite Poteet beat Greenville 29-27
Lovejoy beat Crandall 49-35
Terrell beat Princeton 49-14
Melissa beat Denison 54-44

Week 8 games
Mesquite Poteet Vs. Lovejoy
Melissa Vs. Greenville
Crandall Vs. Terrell
Princeton Vs. Denison

PLAYOFF PROJECTIONS
The total lack of defense being playing in both of these districts makes some of these 3/4 seeds kind of hard to predict. 

In 8-5A......I'd like to assume Hallsville will win over PT and MP, but who knows with that Bobcat defense.  Can't assume who will win between WH and THS.  Can't predict who will win between Marshall/WH because none of them really play defense.  Any of them could be upset.  Same with 7-5A with a VERY good chance of a three-way tie for fourth place after this coming Friday between Poteet, Denison, Terrell. 

So lot's of assumptions going in here......but here goes.....

Marshall/Hallsville/Whitehouse tie-breaker loser at Lovejoy/Melissa winner
Marshall/Hallsville/Whitehouse tie-breaker winner at Lovejoy/Melissa loser
Mesquite/Terrell/Denison tie breaker loser at Whitehouse/Texas High winner
Mesquite Poteet/Terrell/Denison tie breaker winner at Whitehouse/Texas High loser 

Go back to the lack of defense in these districts...... just THIS PAST FRIDAY.... here are the points allowed by each team in both districts......

Hallsville- 56
Denison- 54
Princeton- 49
Crandall- 49
Nacogdoches- 45
Melissa- 44
Whitehouse 42
Marshall- 42
Texas High- 35
Lovejoy 35
Greenville- 29
Poteet- 27
Terrell- 14
Mount Pleasant- 13

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 2:56 PM, Mavchamp said:

STANDINGS
Texas High (6-1), (3-0)
Whitehouse (6-1), (2-1)
Hallsville (5-3), (2-2)
Marshall (4-4), (2-2)
Pine Tree (1-6), (1-2)
Mount Pleasant (2-6), (1-2)
Nacogdoches (1-7), (1-3)

Week 8 Scores
Texas High beat Marshall 42-35
Whitehouse beat Hallsville 56-42
Mount Pleasant beat Nacogdoches 45-13

Week 9 Schedule
Texarkana Vs. Nacogdoches
Mount Pleasant Vs. Whitehouse
Hallsville Vs. Pine Tree
Marshall- OFF

Texas High has clinched a playoff berth with their win over Marshall.  Whitehouse will clinch with a win over Mount Pleasant.  Hallsville will clinch with a win over Pine Tree.  Marshall can all but clinch even though they are idle if MP losses to Whitehouse, Nac loses to Texas High, and Pine Tree losses to Hallsville.

Barring upsets in the final two weeks....that would all but clinch the four playoff spots for THS, WH, Hallsville, and Marshall with seeding to be determined.  

-------------------

7-5A Standings
Lovejoy (5-2, 4-0)
Melissa (5-2, 4-0)
Crandall (5-2, 2-2)
Terrell (3-4, 2-2)
Mesquite Poteet (2-5, 2-2)
Denison (3-4, 1-3)
Greenville (2-5, 1-3)
Princeton (1-5, 0-3)

Mesquite Poteet beat Greenville 29-27
Lovejoy beat Crandall 49-35
Terrell beat Princeton 49-14
Melissa beat Denison 54-44

Week 8 games
Mesquite Poteet Vs. Lovejoy
Melissa Vs. Greenville
Crandall Vs. Terrell
Princeton Vs. Denison

PLAYOFF PROJECTIONS
The total lack of defense being playing in both of these districts makes some of these 3/4 seeds kind of hard to predict. 

In 8-5A......I'd like to assume Hallsville will win over PT and MP, but who knows with that Bobcat defense.  Can't assume who will win between WH and THS.  Can't predict who will win between Marshall/WH because none of them really play defense.  Any of them could be upset.  Same with 7-5A with a VERY good chance of a three-way tie for fourth place after this coming Friday between Poteet, Denison, Terrell. 

So lot's of assumptions going in here......but here goes.....

Marshall/Hallsville/Whitehouse tie-breaker loser at Lovejoy/Melissa winner
Marshall/Hallsville/Whitehouse tie-breaker winner at Lovejoy/Melissa loser
Mesquite/Terrell/Denison tie breaker loser at Whitehouse/Texas High winner
Mesquite Poteet/Terrell/Denison tie breaker winner at Whitehouse/Texas High loser 

Go back to the lack of defense in these districts...... just THIS PAST FRIDAY.... here are the points allowed by each team in both districts......

Hallsville- 56
Denison- 54
Princeton- 49
Crandall- 49
Nacogdoches- 45
Melissa- 44
Whitehouse 42
Marshall- 42
Texas High- 35
Lovejoy 35
Greenville- 29
Poteet- 27
Terrell- 14
Mount Pleasant- 13

Texas High

Whitehouse

Hallsville

Marshall

Things are oddly quiet this week it seems.......

Obviously the Nac/THS game looks to be pretty lopsided.

But the PT/Hallsville game could actually be interesting.  The Bobcat defense is so bad PT could possibly make a game of this if they can get their running game going.  BUT.... the Bobcat offense is so good it may not matter.  Hallsville has got to be the favorite, but that defense could keep any opponent in a game.

WH should be a big favorite over MP.... but again.... it comes down to if we see the WH team that beat Hallsville and PT.... or the one that lost to Nac?  MP is better than Nac (who scored 34 on WH) and PT (who scored 31 on WH).  Wildcats have given up some points this season and MP seems to be getting healthy.  Could make a game of things.

I'm not really expecting any upsets this week.....but they aren't outside the realm of possibility.

Playing defense in this district seems to be an afterthought for everyone this season.

On 10/16/2022 at 4:16 PM, tomlandry said:

Texas High

Whitehouse

Hallsville

Marshall

Barring an upset this week.... these four will be all but solidified after Friday night.  The only question that will remain is the seedings of each.

• Like 1

idk about Nac at the beginning of the season I thought they would pushing for a playoff spot...would like to see Texas High come out and play well... after being off they got all they wanted from Marshall , I think it could benefit both teams goin forward the way it played out. 

Does Nacogdoches livestream games? Not sure if Txk will make the trip 

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Things are oddly quiet this week it seems.......

Obviously the Nac/THS game looks to be pretty lopsided.

But the PT/Hallsville game could actually be interesting.  The Bobcat defense is so bad PT could possibly make a game of this if they can get their running game going.  BUT.... the Bobcat offense is so good it may not matter.  Hallsville has got to be the favorite, but that defense could keep any opponent in a game.

WH should be a big favorite over MP.... but again.... it comes down to if we see the WH team that beat Hallsville and PT.... or the one that lost to Nac?  MP is better than Nac (who scored 34 on WH) and PT (who scored 31 on WH).  Wildcats have given up some points this season and MP seems to be getting healthy.  Could make a game of things.

I'm not really expecting any upsets this week.....but they aren't outside the realm of possibility.

Playing defense in this district seems to be an afterthought for everyone this season.

Pine Tree has improved each week. I know the box score sometimes hasn't looked great, but we are strong in the trenches and our coaches have done a great job isolating our big playmakers and making these easy for them. I think Hallsville will have a hard time with Evans and we can match speed throughout the field. We struggle at times with dumb penalties. This could set us up for a big game against Mount Pleasant soon. 

IF Mount Pleasant upsets Whitehouse, and if we beat Hallsville, there is potential for a huge game next Friday in Mount Pleasant. If the more likely option occurs and both MP and PT lose, the final four are set and both teams move one to roundball. 

I am pulling for the former option here. I would love for Whitehouse to lose to Mount Pleasant in a shocker loss. Who doesn't love to see Whitehouse lose? This would be a big benefit for the Pirates and could get us back into contention for playoffs if we can handle the firepower of Hallsville.