Marshall (1-0)
Hallsville (1-0)
Mount Pleasant (1-0)
Whitehouse (1-0)
Texas High (0-1)
Nacogdoches (0-1)
Pine Tree (0-1)

NOTES
The district went (4-3) overall on the night. 

Marshall never trailed in their game Vs. Tyler, building a 21-3 lead early in the second quarter.  Tyler pulled within 33-19 at halftime.  The Mavs essentially put the game away in the third quarter by taking  a 40-22 lead.    The Lions added a late score for the 40-29 final.  This was the first meeting of the two old rivals since 2012.  Marshall snapped a 5 game losing streak to the Lions dating back to 1999.

Nac fell to Palestine in a game that saw three Nac turnovers turn into points for the Wildcats.  The Dragons found themselves down by 21 points.  They fought back and made a game of it, but fell 37-31.

Pine Tree fell to 4A Van in a game that was competitive most of the night.  Van took a 14-7 lead into the locker room at the half.  In the end, the Vandals claimed a 28-14 win.

Hallsville's offense picked up where it left off last season..... by scoring points in bushels.  Unfortunately....so did their defense.  The Cats survived Terrell 44-41 to get the big road win.

Mount Pleasant had a barnburner win over their old rivals from Pittsburgh.  After an 8-8 tie to open the game, the Tigers used three Pirate turnovers to take control of the game 22-8.  Pittsburgh had six turnovers total in the game.  The Pirates pulled within 22-16, but MP made the victory stick.

Texas High and Lone Star went back and fourth all night long.  LS jumped out to a 14-0 lead before the Tigers got on the scoreboard.  THS pulled with 17-14.  However a late TD before halftime put the Rangers up 24-14.  Texarkana pulled within 24-20 late in the third.  LS then exploded to take control 38-20.  A couple of late scores made it interesting in the fourth, but they ran out of time, falling 38-33.

Whitehouse beat North Forney.

-----------------------
Week 2 Schedules
This week is loaded with rivalry games.  Marshall and Longview knotting up for the 112th time.  Nac and Lufkin will meet for the 103rd time.  Sulphur Springs will meet their I-30 rivals from MP.  Whitehouse and Jacksonville will tangle once again.  Henderson and Hallsville will also meet up in another longtime rivalry game.  

Marshall Vs. Longview
Nacogdoches Vs. Lufkin
Whitehouse Vs. Jacksonville
Texas High Vs. Colleyville Heritage (Neutral Location)
Pine Tree Vs. Lindale
Henderson Vs. Hallsville
Sulphur Springs Vs. Mount Pleasant

MP, Hallsville, and Whitehouse should all be favorites in their week 2 games.... all likely to be (2-0) to open the season.  Always a good place to be.

Marshall will be big underdogs; facing a (1-1) start barring a monumental upset.  

Pine Tree could even things up with a win over Lindale... or face an (0-2) start.

Texas High and Nac could be staring down the barrel of an (0-2) start with their tough matchups.

------

Pretty impressed with the toughness of the schedules in week 2. 

Marshall taking on #1 Longview

Texas High taking on a Heritage team that was (14-2) last year and won their opener 61-5.

Nac facing Lufkin in their annual grudge match

Good stuff.

Peeking at district 7-5A.......  They have gone (3-4) thus far in week 1.

Denison beat Sherman 28-21 in their annual grudge match
Crandall beat Forney 58-55
Princeton beat Lebanon Trail 14-7
Mesquite Poteet lost to Lake Highlands 21-0
Argyle beat Melissa 37-18
Terrell lost to Hallsville 44-41
Greenville lost to Lake Dallas 34-7

Lovejoy plays College Station tonight.

No huge surprises.  Will be interesting to see how Lovejoy plays against Div I College Station tonight.  Poteet losing to 6A Lake Highlands is meh.  

55 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Lovejoy plays College Station tonight.

No huge surprises.  Will be interesting to see how Lovejoy plays against Div I College Station tonight. 

I expect Lovejoy to win tonight. College Station lost a ton of their state finalist team, including their starting QB and head coach, and now that their workhorse star running back is out for the season, it's gonna be hard for the Coogs to be a top notch Leopard squad. But will see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I expect Lovejoy to win tonight. College Station lost a ton of their state finalist team, including their starting QB and head coach, and now that their workhorse star running back is out for the season, it's gonna be hard for the Coogs to be a top notch Leopard squad. But will see.

Lucas Lovejoy absolutely blew the rocks of College Station. Whomever gets them in round 1 out of this district, oof.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lucas Lovejoy absolutely blew the rocks of College Station. Whomever gets them in round 1 out of this district, oof.

Who will be the lucky recipient?  Nac?  Pine Tree? Hallsville? Marshall? MP?

Bless it.

14 hours ago, tomlandry said:

I was so excited to see the Maverick score from this week. The way they beat Tyler was impressive to me. Great job to everyone. My PT Pirates will have a LONG season. Sleeper team of the district could easily be Mount Pleasant. 

If MP struggled with Pitt it’s gonna be a long season playing 5a football 

8 hours ago, BuckNut said:

They didnt struggle. Starting QB got hurt in the 3rd qtr while they were driving. Penalties and turnovers also made it a lot closer than it should have been. Other than 2 or 3 plays they stopped Pittsburg's run attack. We will see how they do against a heavy pass attack with Sulphur Springs this coming Friday.

12 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Sorry to inform those who think Pitt is sub-par, but imo they are already better than last year, and their last year loses to PG and Gilmer were closer than some May want to remember…

AE3C3F6B-40C7-442C-99D1-F8A9AB944AFE.jpeg

We've ALL played only ONE GAME.

No one should be too high...or too low about where they are right now.  District is still a long ways away.

A lot can change right between now and then....and especially between now and November.

• Like 2

Not really football news....but...ish...

MHS enrollment is over 1500 this year early on.  First time we've been over 1500 in probably a decade.

MISD enrollment over 5,000 for the first time in probably 15 years....maybe 20.

Good news.....good news for Mav fans and supporters.  Good to see things trending up after a slow trickle down for the last decade and a half.

10 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Not really football news....but...ish...

MHS enrollment is over 1500 this year early on.  First time we've been over 1500 in probably a decade.

MISD enrollment over 5,000 for the first time in probably 15 years....maybe 20.

Good news.....good news for Mav fans and supporters.  Good to see things trending up after a slow trickle down for the last decade and a half.

All them bored at home "covid" babies signing up for preschool. 

Who you got?

It's (non-district) rivalry week this week..... Marshall-Longview, Nac-Lufkin, Hallsville-Henderson, and MP-SS.  Several of them are shaping up be pretty good match-ups.  

Marshall Vs. Longview:  A lot of fans from both sides (me included) have clamored for this series to end in spite of its long history.  How can we silence that talk?:  By making the games close and competitive again.  Even if the losses continued....I'd still support the series if it meant a string of games that looked like 24-21, 21-17, 21-14.   It's not about the losses...it's the competitiveness.  Maybe if the game actually became competitive Lobo faithful would be back on board too.

Nacogdoches Vs. Lufkin:  I have a feeling this game is going to be U-G-L-Y....regardless of how Lufkin looked or didn't look against Legacy.  I'd like to see Nac hang with LP, but I'm skeptical.  I know Nac overcame a big deficit (21 points) to make last week's game competitive..... but I can't let go of the fact that they lost to a Palestine team that hasn't been good in a REALLY LONG TIME (no winning seasons since 2013).  LP is going to be exponentially better than Palestine.  

Whitehouse Vs. Jacksonville:  Whitehouse.

Texas High Vs. Colleyville Heritage:  The Tigers lost a very close game to a very good Frisco Lone Star team last week.  In spite of the loss.... Texarkana showed they are without a doubt STILL the team to beat in 8-5A.  Things get no easlier for them this week when they face a Heritage team that has gotten some attention in some polls.  Another close game will signal the Tigers are serious about defending their back to back district championships.

Pine Tree Vs. Lindale:  Neither team looked very good in their week 1 losses, but Pine Tree's loss to Van looked uglier than Lindale's loss to Kaufman.  Lindale has some pedigree in their program right now.  Pine Tree is a big ??? for me.  After several years of upwards trend.... they fell off a cliff last season.  Then they lost their most successful coach in 20-30 years (or longer).  Hard to to get a feel for PT right now.  So I'm going with the pedigree of Lindale.

Henderson Vs. Hallsville-  A win is a win...and that's what Hallsville did last week in Terrell.  BUT.... I can't simply overlook the fact that the Bobcats surrendered 41 points to a Terrell team that isn't expected to be very good.  Meanwhile Henderson played traditional power Liberty Eyalu to a 4 point game (26-22).  The Lions won this game 48-47 last year.  I think we could see a similar score this season....but this time the Bobcats will take it in a nailbiter 

Mount Pleasant Vs. Sulphur Springs-  SS has struggled uncharacteristically of late..... but I'm not sure how to take their comfortable win over Jacksonville, who has been in the doldrums for a while now.  Meanwhile MP is coming off a good win over a traditionally good Pittsburgh program.  On paper...MP should win this easily.  But.... consistency has not been the Tiger's friend the last  fewal o years.  That tells me SS could steal one if they stay focused. 

Longview over Marshall but I think it could stay pretty close 

Lufkin...thought Nac would come out and play better first game of the year as well

Whitehouse goes 2-0

Texas High at Grim I think they’ll find a way to win. 

Lindale over PT

Hallsville over Henderson . Qb didn’t show out like I thought he would when they played LE last week. 

MP...I hope. Sulphur  on offense isn’t bad though. 

A couple of these guys have already played their first game of the season….  But good luck to some of these former Mavs on there 2022 seasons!!! 

Tahj Washington - USC 
Brevin Randle, Marje Smith - SFA
Christian Hood - Houston Baptist
Buck Buchanan - La Tech
Savion Williams - TCU
Lyrik Rawls - Okla State
Micahh Smith - Incarnate Word
Selah Smith - Howard Payne
Isiah Alexander- Pitt State
Michael Washington- Southern Ark.
Micheal olvera- LCU
Domar Roberson- Trinity Valley