2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread

Mavchamp

18 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I mean, it's not the first year this has happened. Outside of 2015, and the few years Texas High has had a resurgence, it's been that way for a while.

2018 as well.  

Marshall was 1 point from the quarterfinals that season .   Seems like someone else in the district had a good run too.  

While last season wasn’t a run per se…..  absolutely no one picked us to beat Rudder and we shocked everyone. Crosby though sent us packing. 

But yes….. ETX 5A has struggled by and large.

And a few teams with nice records seem to have a false sense of invincibility after beating up on the Sisters of the Perpetually Weak all season long. 

52 minutes ago, bordertown said:

If you go to Texarkana Gameday Facebook play, you will see two critical missed calls in the Texas High v Whitehouse game. One was a beautiful long pass by Whitehouse QB that was ruled a touchdown but appears to have been incomplete. Who knows, the Wildcats May have scored on the drive.

The second call was probably more critical. On a fourth down play late in the 4th quarter, the WH QB under duress threw a sideline pass. It appears the receiver was out of bounds. If you believe it was a catch, it appears to be behind the 1st down marker. To the Wildcats credit, they took advantage and scored the winning touchdown.

Sorry don’t know how to link FB.

Seems like I recall an MP fan saying WH had 7 first downs by penalty that otherwise would have been WH punts a couple of weeks ago.

I think a lot of teams that visit Wildcat Stadium get Whitehosed.

Almost as bad as Grim  😂😂😂😂

jjjkkkkkkkkk  

9 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

T High just looks so off after watching y’all tonight. It’s like regression, and probably injuries, have started to take its toll.

Nice win by WH, no doubt, but man, things are off in Tigerland.

I agree! Unfortunately qb has really seemed to struggle .... a week left to figure it out. 

sounds crazy but after watching freshman qb a few games this year wouldn’t hurt to give him a look. He plays good in the secondary like most Wrightners have at T High but he can really throw it and run on top of that. 

1 hour ago, missionimpossible said:

This is the worst I have seen this District since its inception. There is not a quality team in it. The tops 3 teams from 4A Division 1 would all win this district. I sure hope it improves next year, as this year has been hard to watch with the mediocrity. 

Idk it could be the case ....T High isn’t as good as as they have been. Mavs idk they seem to be playing pretty good at the right time. Imo Whitehouse/Hallsville this year are a lot better than the MP/Nac teams that made the playoffs the past 2 years as the 3rd and 4th seed.... 2-2 past couple years in first round 

21 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Seems like I recall an MP fan saying WH had 7 first downs by penalty that otherwise would have been WH punts a couple of weeks ago.

I think a lot of teams that visit Wildcat Stadium get Whitehosed.

Almost as bad as Grim  😂😂😂😂

jjjkkkkkkkkk  

Unfortunately we got Grim’d at Grim 😄

• LOL! 2

On 10/29/2022 at 9:44 AM, bordertown said:

If you go to Texarkana Gameday Facebook play, you will see two critical missed calls in the Texas High v Whitehouse game. One was a beautiful long pass by Whitehouse QB that was ruled a touchdown but appears to have been incomplete. Who knows, the Wildcats May have scored on the drive.

The second call was probably more critical. On a fourth down play late in the 4th quarter, the WH QB under duress threw a sideline pass. It appears the receiver was out of bounds. If you believe it was a catch, it appears to be behind the 1st down marker. To the Wildcats credit, they took advantage and scored the winning touchdown.

I watched the 4th qtr of the game. The pass that you speak of was clearly incomplete. The receiver was in the air when he caught it and came down out of bounds. He didnt get a foot down. That was a 3rd down play. But who knows WH still might have scored on the drive though.

On 10/29/2022 at 9:44 AM, bordertown said:

I watched the 4th qtr of the game. The pass that you speak of was clearly incomplete. The receiver was in the air when he caught it and came down out of bounds. He didnt get a foot down. That was a 3rd down play. But who knows WH still might have scored on the drive though.

1 hour ago, budmanmpfan said:

It was 4th and 5 on WH 25 with 2:20 on the clock. Texas High should have taken care of business no doubt, but it was an obvious missed called. I do believe WH outplayed THS and deserved to win.    

I was wondering same thing.  All 4 would be considered Co-district Champs but seeding would remain as it is now based on head to heads I assume. 

Some interesting possible scenarios:

Hallsville, Whitehouse, Texas High all lose. Hallsville 4th place.

3 way Co District champs

Marshall(currently -7)

Texas High (ends at +2)

Whitehouse (currently +5)

If Marshall beats Whitehouse by 3 or less, Whitehouse gets 1st seed. THIGH 2nd.

If Marshall beats Whitehouse by 4 or 5, THigh gets 1st seed, Whitehouse 2nd

If Marshall beats WH by 6-9, THIGH gets 1st. Marshall 2nd

If Marshall beats WH by 10 or more, Marshall gets 1st, THIGH 2nd. 

If Hallsville, THIGH, and Marshall win; Texas High wins district with 3 way tie for 2nd

Hallsville (ends at -10)

Whitehouse (currently +14)

Marshall (currently -4)

Marshall beats Whitehouse by 8 or less; WH secures 2nd seed, Marshall 3rd.

Mavs beat WH by 9 or more; Marshall secures 2nd seed, WH 3rd. 

Going to be some scoreboard watching.  Are all 3 games today now?

Edited by mav01
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 3:38 PM, bordertown said:

It was 4th and 5 on WH 25 with 2:20 on the clock. Texas High should have taken care of business no doubt, but it was an obvious missed called. I do believe WH outplayed THS and deserved to win.    

Agreed. WH did outplay THigh. Either way good luck to all of our district mates in the playoffs. 

Its time for Tiger Basketball. 🐅🏀 

Edited by budmanmpfan
  • Like 1

I am so stinking proud of this team.  

They go out and play arguably one of the toughest non-district schedules in the state for a 5A team.... get skull-drug by Longview and Carthage.  People started to discount us.

Lost a last-second heartbreaker to Hallsville 41-37..... no one gave us a chance after that game.

Lost a really tough one at #4 Texas High 35-28 in a game that was at our fingertips.

Went in and took care of business in arguably one of the toughest atmospheres in ETX to get a win at Whitehouse.

Finish the season (6-4) and the #2 seed.  And to think....we're 2-3 plays from possibly being (8-2).

Whole new coaching staff.....whole new offensive and defensive systems. 

It hasn't been pretty......been pretty gritty at times......and heart-stopping toooo many times this season (Halls, THS, WH).....

Those guys never gave up..... fought their tails off all season..... had so much adversity.

Here we are....hosting a playoff game.

Coach Alvarez is building something special here.  Won't happen overnight.  Won't always be pretty... but man.... so proud of these guys.

And a shout out to Mav Nation....what an incredible crowd for a Thursday night game that far away. 

On to the playoffs!!!

Best of luck to 8-5A going forward. 

• Like 4