Jump to content

2022 District 8-5A DIV II Football Thread


Mavchamp
 Share

Recommended Posts

8-5A FINAL STANDINGS
*Texas High 5-1, 8-2
*Marshall 4-2, 6-4
*Whitehouse 4-2, 8-2
*Hallsville 4-2, 7-3
Pine Tree 2-4, 2-8
Mount Pleasant 1-5, 2-8
Nacogdoches 1-5, 1-9

7-5A FINAL STANDINGS
*Melissa 7-0, 8-2
*Lovejoy 6-1, 7-3
*Crandall 5-2, 8-2
*Terrell 3-3, 4-5
Denison 3-4, 5-5
Poteet 2-5, 2-8
Greenville 1-5, 2-7
Princeton 0-7, 1-9

PLAYOFF MATCH-UPS
Terrell (4-5) AT Texas High (8-2)
Crandall (8-2) AT Marshall (6-4)
Whitehouse (8-2) AT Lovejoy (7-3)
Hallsville (7-3) AT Melissa (8-2)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Sheesh.

Home bi district game for Marshall, but still a tough draw. 

 

Seems like we always get tough draws. 

Last year we got Rudder…. Who IIRC beat their district champ (AMC).  They were a very good #3 team at 7-3.  We escaped with an OT win.   Crosby was our reward.  Semifinalists  

2019 Huntsville was a top 5 team. Lost their QB….but slipped into the playoffs as the #4 seed. Of course… QB1 returned for the playoffs.  They were easily district champs with him in.  Lucky us….  They were region finalists.  

2018-  Lamar Consolidated was terrible.  Our easiest R1 win in ages.  Came up 1 point short in the region semis to Huntsville.  Will never forgive the decision to go for 2.  Someone was ready to pack and move to Dallas.  Didn’t give two rips about winning that game. 

2017-  Poteet wasn’t spectacular but they were state semifinalists the year before.  That game was 100% given away by our coach because of his insistence on going for it on 4th down every time.   #ego

2016-  Eno  Benjamin.  Enough said. The guy was a beast and we had no answer for him.  But their loss to Highland Park sent them our way instead of D1.   Again…. Lucky us.

2015-  Lindale was tough.  We somehow dominated SOC.  Our run ended to Lone Star in the region semis.  LS was state runner-ups.

2014- Stomped Nac in R1   But SOC popped us in the mouth R2.  They were semifinalists. 

2013-  Wylie.  Was a pretty tight game considering we were a #4 seed.  Our QB  broke his arm in the Q3….. the route was on at that point 

I’m hoping for a good run this post-season…. But we got a tough road ahead of us  for sure. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2020 at 5:00 PM, JoeBurns23 said:

Marshall's days are over.

These bandwagon t-shirt fans always seem to come and go. 

Mostly because they’re football illiterate with degrees in trash talk and trolling  

But it’s fun to remind them of their poor predictive skills. 

Even if they aren’t around much anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

8-5A FINAL STANDINGS
*Texas High 5-1, 8-2
*Marshall 4-2, 6-4
*Whitehouse 4-2, 8-2
*Hallsville 4-2, 7-3
Pine Tree 2-4, 2-8
Mount Pleasant 1-5, 2-8
Nacogdoches 1-5, 1-9

7-5A FINAL STANDINGS
*Melissa 7-0, 8-2
*Lovejoy 6-1, 7-3
*Crandall 5-2, 8-2
*Terrell 3-3, 4-5
Denison 3-4, 5-5
Poteet 2-5, 2-8
Greenville 1-5, 2-7
Princeton 0-7, 1-9

PLAYOFF MATCH-UPS
Terrell (4-5) AT Texas High (8-2)
Crandall (8-2) AT Marshall (6-4)
Whitehouse (8-2) AT Lovejoy (7-3)
Hallsville (7-3) AT Melissa (8-2)

Tough matchups for East Texas district well except for Texas High. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

Tough matchups for East Texas district well except for Texas High. 

Yup. We all got our hands full. Everyone from 8-5A will be underdogs I’m sure.  

Terrrell should be an easy win. But THS is in a crazy funk right now.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

Yup. We all got our hands full. Everyone from 8-5A will be underdogs I’m sure.  

Terrrell should be an easy win. But THS is in a crazy funk right now.  

Strange things happen. I honestly never expected Whitehouse to beat Texas High or lufkin to beat A&M . Marshall has the pedigree /coaching to pull it off. Hallsville got a shot with that offense. Whitehouse ain’t got a prayer ( many are enjoying it)!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

Strange things happen. I honestly never expected Whitehouse to beat Texas High or lufkin to beat A&M . Marshall has the pedigree /coaching to pull it off. Hallsville got a shot with that offense. Whitehouse ain’t got a prayer ( many are enjoying it)!

Defensive play has been pretty shoddy this year by the district as a whole. 

Hallsville hasn’t played defense all season.  Whitehouse D has been only marginally better than the Bobcats.  

Texas High and Marshall both have pretty solid defenses…. BUT they are wildly inconsistent. We’ve both had some ugly defensive games. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be fair..... the 7-5A teams have given up a lot of points too......

Terrell has given up 59, 56, 44, 30, 29
Crandall has given up 55, 50, 49, 37, 36, 30, 29
Lovejoy has given up 56, 36, 35, 27
Melissa has given up 44, 42, 37, 35, 27

Not a whole lot of defense being played by EITHER district really.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

W5 Midlothian Heritage (9-1)
F6 Dallas Hillcrest (6-3)/Spruce winner (7-2)

R8 Marshall (6-4)
T7 Crandall (8-2)

W6 South Oak Cliff (6-3)
F5 Mansfield Summit (5-5)

R7 Lovejoy (7-3)
T8 Whitehouse (8-2)

W7 Melissa (8-2)
F8 Hallsville (7-3)

R6 Dallas Wilson (5-4)*
T5 Ennis (5-5)

W8 Texas High (8-2)
F7 Terrell (4-5)

R5 Everman (8-2)
T6 Seagoville (6-4)

South Oak Cliff and Wilson play tonight for the district championship
Terrell plays Greenville tonight in their finale- meaningless game
Dallas Hillcrest/Dallas Spruce winner gets 4th; Loser stays home

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations to the Mavs whipping Whitehouse! That is a great headline to wake up to! Good luck going forward! 

 

P.S. I know it is not very PC of me, considering how much things have changed in WH and all. 💅

Edited by LOBOFAN84
  • Like 1
  • LOL! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2022 at 8:00 PM, hoopscoach17 said:

Why is it that nobody is talking about a possible 4 way tie for the district championship? If Marshall, Hallsville and PT all win then the top 4 teams will all be 4-2!! Now, I know it's a stretch that PT beats Texas High but stranger things have happened!!

And it almost happened. I thought about it but didn't think PT would get that close

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Seems like we always get tough draws. 

Last year we got Rudder…. Who IIRC beat their district champ (AMC).  They were a very good #3 team at 7-3.  We escaped with an OT win.   Crosby was our reward.  Semifinalists  

2019 Huntsville was a top 5 team. Lost their QB….but slipped into the playoffs as the #4 seed. Of course… QB1 returned for the playoffs.  They were easily district champs with him in.  Lucky us….  They were region finalists.  

2018-  Lamar Consolidated was terrible.  Our easiest R1 win in ages.  Came up 1 point short in the region semis to Huntsville.  Will never forgive the decision to go for 2.  Someone was ready to pack and move to Dallas.  Didn’t give two rips about winning that game. 

2017-  Poteet wasn’t spectacular but they were state semifinalists the year before.  That game was 100% given away by our coach because of his insistence on going for it on 4th down every time.   #ego

2016-  Eno  Benjamin.  Enough said. The guy was a beast and we had no answer for him.  But their loss to Highland Park sent them our way instead of D1.   Again…. Lucky us.

2015-  Lindale was tough.  We somehow dominated SOC.  Our run ended to Lone Star in the region semis.  LS was state runner-ups.

2014- Stomped Nac in R1   But SOC popped us in the mouth R2.  They were semifinalists. 

2013-  Wylie.  Was a pretty tight game considering we were a #4 seed.  Our QB  broke his arm in the Q3….. the route was on at that point 

I’m hoping for a good run this post-season…. But we got a tough road ahead of us  for sure. 

 

 

I think we will be fine this first game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Predicted playoff paths.....

Texas High
Bi- Terrell (5-4)
Area- Everman (8-2)
Region- Melissa (8-2)
Qtr- Midlothian Heritage (9-1), South Oak Cliff (6-3), Lovejoy (7-3)
Semis- Argyle (10-0), Emerson (9-1), Grapevine (9-1), Arlington Heights (9-1)
Champ- FB Marshall (9-1), PNG (8-2), Lake Creek (9-0), Liberty Hill (8-1), Alamo Heights (9-1)

Marshall
Bi- Crandall (8-2)
Area- Midlothian Heritage (9-1)
Region- SOC (6-3), Lovejoy (7-3)
Qtr- Everman (8-2), Melissa (8-2), Texas High (8-2)
Semis- Argyle (10-0), Emerson (9-1), Grapevine (9-1), Arlington Heights (9-1)
Champ- FB Marshall (9-1), PNG (8-2), Lake Creek (9-0), Liberty Hill (8-1), Alamo Heights (9-1)

Whitehouse
Bi- Lovejoy (7-3)
Area- SOC (6-3)
Region- Midlothian Heritage (9-1)
Qtr- Everman (8-2), Melissa (8-2), Texas High (8-2)
Semis- Argyle (10-0), Emerson (9-1), Grapevine (9-1), Arlington Heights (9-1)
Champ- FB Marshall (9-1), PNG (8-2), Lake Creek (9-0), Liberty Hill (8-1), Alamo Heights (9-1)

Hallsville
Bi- Melissa (8-2)
Area- Ennis (5-5)
Region- Everman (8-2), Texas High (8-2)
Qtr- Midlothian Heritage (9-1), South Oak Cliff (6-3), Lovejoy (7-3)
Semis- Argyle (10-0), Emerson (9-1), Grapevine (9-1), Arlington Heights (9-1)
Champ- FB Marshall (9-1), PNG (8-2), Lake Creek (9-0), Liberty Hill (8-1), Alamo Heights (9-1)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, LOBOFAN84 said:

Congratations to the Mavs whipping Whitehouse! That is a great headline to wake up to! Good luck going forward! 

 

P.S. I know it is not very PC of me, considering how much things have changed in WH and all. 💅

Literally NOTHING has changed.

and Thank you!  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mojo1000 said:

Tough matchups for East Texas district well except for Texas High. 

Think the worst thing to happen to Texas High was being ranked #4 in the state. They kept this lofty ranking even while they were struggling. Many pieces of this team are underclassmen. My gut tells me they read their press clippings and thought it would come easy. Hopefully, the last three games have woken them up. I suspect Terrell is better than Pine Tree, who could have won last night. The seniors on the team need to assume their leadership role or their football careers will soon be over. Pulling for the Tigers and all our district brethren.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

All of the above 

WH lives in your head. A grown man so obsessed with  a high school football team composed of 16-18 year olds. I was sitting on Marshall side Friday night,  the fans were so belligerent about every penalty against them. The coaches, especially Alvarez was in the refs ear a whole lot.  Marshall players were mouthing too. Marshall is not a church choir.  They have a reputation of playing dirty and running their mouths. I have been to many of their games through years.  You are good at journalism on this district but you continue to be biased against WH. They had a good team this year. Give them and their coaches credit for finishing last in district last year and beating #4 TH and making playoffs this year. 

  • Like 1
  • Stinks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, oldknees said:

WH lives in your head. A grown man so obsessed with  a high school football team composed of 16-18 year olds

Trying to throw shade yet you yourself joined the website to make a post about a poster that had to do with HS football.

Whitehouse is Whitehouse. They've more than established who they are over the years, and it continues this year no matter how much their fans say things have changed. Same stuff happened at the Longview/Whitehouse game in Whitehouse this year again.

Edited by LoboFan07
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Trying to throw shade yet you yourself joined the website to make a post about a poster that had to do with HS football.

Whitehouse is Whitehouse. They've more than established who they are over the years, and it continues this year no matter how much their fans say things have changed. Same stuff happened at the Longview/Whitehouse game in Whitehouse this year again.

I've been reading smoaky forums since it's inception. I did just "join" to make a post to challenge a grown man, a smart ( he's a nurse) man to be a fair and honest journalist if he is going to take the responsibility of making public statements on high school teams in the district. Again we are talking about teenager boys playing a game for fun and to win. Very few will make it to next level and still less will make a living doing it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, oldknees said:

Again we are talking about teenager boys playing a game for fun and to win. Very few will make it to next level and still less will make a living doing it. 

Accountability good sir. It's just warranted from Whitehouse's side of things, and it is never taken.

Edited by LoboFan07
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, oldknees said:

 Again we are talking about teenager boys playing a game for fun and to win. Very few will make it to next level and still less will make a living doing it. 

Yes, we are talking about teenage boys, but the actions of their student/fan sections and players on the field and on the court can not be chalked up to boys being boys. Means the coaches, families and administration have to act to teach them that the behavior they exhibit is not acceptable. With the behavior also happening from the parents in the stands doesn't look like it is going to change. There is a difference in fan bases complaining to each other in the stand about plyers, coaches and officials but when those comments are yelled loud enough for an entire gym to hear it during a timeout or a sign being brought in and allowed to be displayed that is disparaging. That stuff is not debatable and has not changed, it was witnessed last year in Nac. during a basketball game by me personally. MavChamps isn't the only one who has seen it or heard it, he is just the most vocal about it. He takes the time to do the write ups and put things together for the games so he has every right to omit details about a team if he chooses to do so.  

If you want details about Whitehouse's performances by all means post them. As a fan of that team you can relay whatever info you want out to the masses. Defending a team and a program that has showed a long history of this behavior towards the rest of the district is going to have comments made about them. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Yes, we are talking about teenage boys, but the actions of their student/fan sections and players on the field and on the court can not be chalked up to boys being boys. Means the coaches, families and administration have to act to teach them that the behavior they exhibit is not acceptable. With the behavior also happening from the parents in the stands doesn't look like it is going to change. There is a difference in fan bases complaining to each other in the stand about plyers, coaches and officials but when those comments are yelled loud enough for an entire gym to hear it during a timeout or a sign being brought in and allowed to be displayed that is disparaging. That stuff is not debatable and has not changed, it was witnessed last year in Nac. during a basketball game by me personally. MavChamps isn't the only one who has seen it or heard it, he is just the most vocal about it. He takes the time to do the write ups and put things together for the games so he has every right to omit details about a team if he chooses to do so.  

If you want details about Whitehouse's performances by all means post them. As a fan of that team you can relay whatever info you want out to the masses. Defending a team and a program that has showed a long history of this behavior towards the rest of the district is going to have comments made about them. 

I agree he does take the time. I've enjoyed reading  his post about football games and statistics, history etc. He is very knowledgeable. I'm not from WH, have no dog in the fight. Just a fan of High school football. I'm saying stick to reporting the game or games of district. Leave the bashing and attacks against teenagers out of the journalism. This is a sports forum not an editorial on psychology of behavior. Again Mavchamp does a tremendous job reporting the district games but we all know by now his personal feelings towards anything related to Whitehouse. Let it go, keep being the sports journalist that we love to read on Saturday morning after Friday Night Lights!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oldknees said:

I agree he does take the time. I've enjoyed reading  his post about football games and statistics, history etc. He is very knowledgeable. I'm not from WH, have no dog in the fight. Just a fan of High school football. I'm saying stick to reporting the game or games of district. Leave the bashing and attacks against teenagers out of the journalism. This is a sports forum not an editorial on psychology of behavior. Again Mavchamp does a tremendous job reporting the district games but we all know by now his personal feelings towards anything related to Whitehouse. Let it go, keep being the sports journalist that we love to read on Saturday morning after Friday Night Lights!

 

I’m not a journalist.  I don’t have to follow whatever journalistic rules you seem to think I  should follow.  I follow the districts as a hobby.  I enjoy it.  I do it even if and when my beloved Mavs are in last place.   

This is a sports forum. It’s a place of opinions. I’m sorry the opinions of every district rival of Whitehouse is THE SAME.  That’s pretty indicative that it’s TRUE.  If that hurts the feelings of those in and around WH… then CHANGE.

I don’t bash WH. I state things I’ve seen and heard.  Just go through this thread. Every. Single. School. In. The. District. Has. The. Same. Things. To. Say. About. Whitehouse. That’s not bashing. That’s observable. And we have every right to discuss it.  Sorry that hurts anyone’s feelings. 

Reputation is earned. And it sticks. And until something changes…. The rep will remain. Tantrums demanding respect isn’t how you get it.  Stop talking about things changing and actually change. Nothing. Has. Changed. Nothing. 

Calling it out may actually make that happen. And if you want to make me the whipping boy  for calling it out I’m fine with it.  But know this…. Every single fanbase feels the same  Longview, Marshall, Nac, Lufkin, MP, PT, Texas High, Jacksonville.  All feel the same.  Let that sink in.  No.  Really.  Let.  That. Sink.  In.  

So yes…. I’ll continue to do updates.  I’m glad you enjoy them.  Add whatever content you wish if you feel I’ve left any deserved praise for WH.  I’m not WH’s cheerleader.   

But as a non journalist posting in an opinion forum…… if you don’t like what I say…. Use the mute/block feature.   But get busy clicking….. you have a lot of fans to mute if you don’t want to see any posts that WH folks won’t like.  

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...