East Texas Labor Day Classic

TrumpisDump

Can we get some of the best area talent from here and have Labor Day classic and host at Rose or Longview... that would be pretty sweet. They do it in Dallas so why not here? Or else we get our top 6 schools and play against North Louisiana's top 6 at Independence or Longview.. just a nice shake up.

Marshall participated in a few kickoff classics.  More often than not…. It’s a cluster. 

We we’re in the classic over in Shreveport in the early 2010’s…..  those September noon/3PM kickoffs we’re BRUTAL.   Mid 90s with heat indices over 100.  Coupled with a couple of margaritas from Superior.  You get my drift. 😂😂😂.  Toss in the sketchy parking, the concessions, and the general area around a independence stadium and it was a wash.  Not to mention…. You give up a home game that likely would have had a bigger crowd AND most definitely would have made you more money than your cut from the classic. 

We also participates in the Hootens kickoff classic in Little Rock, Arkansas, in the early 2000’s.  It was wayyyy more organized than the one in Shreveport.  Attendance was better.  Matchups were more even.  Better games.  But the stadium needed to be condemned.  Was a loooooooong drive. But it was an OK experience. 

———— 

Some folks may remember in the late 90s when we tried a few jamborees.  I actually really liked those.  I think they did it twice. 

It was at Lobo Stadium.  They divided the home side in half for Longview and Kilgore.  The away side was split for Marshall and Pine Tree. 

Marshall scrimmaged Kilgore.  Longview scrimmaged PT. 

There were 8000 people there…..easy. Nearly packed out.  For scrimmages!    Never understood why they let that die. I think Coach Collins brought the idea here from La… where jamborees are huge.

IMHO the secret of success is getting schools with close proximity to one another.  A little history between them doesn’t hurt either. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

Didn’t rose use to do a kickoff classic? I feel like I remember watching Gilmer and Jasper play there at least once on a Thursday to start the season. 

We used to play Gilmer there in mid-late 00s

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall participated in a few kickoff classics.  More often than not…. It’s a cluster. 

We we’re in the classic over in Shreveport in the early 2010’s…..  those September noon/3PM kickoffs we’re BRUTAL.   Mid 90s with heat indices over 100.  Coupled with a couple of margaritas from Superior.  You get my drift. 😂😂😂.  Toss in the sketchy parking, the concessions, and the general area around a independence stadium and it was a wash.  Not to mention…. You give up a home game that likely would have had a bigger crowd AND most definitely would have made you more money than your cut from the classic. 

We also participates in the Hootens kickoff classic in Little Rock, Arkansas, in the early 2000’s.  It was wayyyy more organized than the one in Shreveport.  Attendance was better.  Matchups were more even.  Better games.  But the stadium needed to be condemned.  Was a loooooooong drive. But it was an OK experience. 

———— 

Some folks may remember in the late 90s when we tried a few jamborees.  I actually really liked those.  I think they did it twice. 

It was at Lobo Stadium.  They divided the home side in half for Longview and Kilgore.  The away side was split for Marshall and Pine Tree. 

There were 8000 people there…..easy. Nearly packed out.  For scrimmages!    Never understood why they let that die. I think Coach Collins brought the idea here from La… where jamborees are huge.

IMHO the secret of success is getting schools with close proximity to one another.  A little history between them doesn’t hurt either. 

They always give the Louisiana teams a favorable match up too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villagegenius said:

Didn’t rose use to do a kickoff classic? I feel like I remember watching Gilmer and Jasper play there at least once on a Thursday to start the season. 

I think they still do, but it’s nothing what it use to be. There use to be at least 4 games if I remember…Thursday/Friday/Two Saturday. I know Lee played Bishop Gorman out of Nevada one year. We’ve played JT and Lee at it. 

It’s a fun idea if it’s executed correctly.

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Longview’s been in their few fair of ones as well.

Tom Landry Classic at SMU and Allen, The UIL one at AT&T during Covid, gonna be apart of the THSCA one this season and next in McKinney.

No doubt that Battle on the Border in Shreveport has been such a complete cluster every time we’ve been there. There was one year we played Monroe Neville and it didn’t start until nearly 9:30 at night on a Saturday….I think we got home around 1 am or so, maybe a little later.

Still livid about the last time we played in it against Byrd. Absolute mess, and our band left at freakin halftime. 

Like I said, if the execution can be paid off, they’re all great ideas. Just rarely happens.

38 minutes ago, VonG said:

Lee never played Gorman out of Nevada. That will be Gilmer who played tem in the classic. 

Ah you’re right, Gilmer player Gorman in the late game and Lee beat Chaminade-Madonna in the afternoon game. Got ‘em mixed up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 5:38 PM, Mavchamp said:

———— 

Hootens has since started using colleges like SAU, Arkansas Tech, UCA, and UAPB for that reason lol