UPDATE: Alto hires Brock Grigsby

ttowngrad

Looking at Alto's history why haven't the administration looked at the Keith Gardner era for ex assistances or former players who played on his teams and now are coaches for the AD/Head coach position? Keith was there from 2005-2013 and every team made the playoffs, 4 teams made the quarter finals, and two teams didn't lose a game and brought the only State Championships to Alto.  Just a thought.

16 hours ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Lol. Right. Ok, I’ll say this. And this is strictly MY personal opinion as a fan in regard to scheme. I LOVE POWER FOOTBALL!!! 😂😂😂. But I am not running this show. I’m getting behind whatever we put on the field and feel like we have players that can adapt and be successful at whatever. But that split back veer was nasty and I loved seeing it ran the way we were running it. That’s just me though. I’ll also tell you I am a fan of the power football they run in Centerville as well. 

K.A.U.C

Keep Alto Under Center! Put that on a shirt baby 🤣

2 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

It is hard to maintain year in and year out and if you look at recent history 2014 is the last big run for Alto. 2018 and 2019 were second round appearances. Besides schools like Carthage and Gilmer, most teams have these cycles. In East Texas 2A I’m trying to think of a program that has been consistently consistent. Probably the closest one is Tenaha. We have made the playoffs all those years, with the exception of 2020. Last district championship was 2019, but that was the 26th one, which is not bad. 40 seasons in the playoffs with the return in 2021. We’ll reach program win #600 with 2 more wins.

We did have a JV last year but the numbers were low and with Covid and injuries they ended up joining the Varsity for the remaining district games. That is an issue that needs to be addressed by the new coach. Our middle school numbers were up and we actually had a 7th AND 8th grade team. The 8th grade numbers were smaller than the 7th grade so some of those 7th graders did double duty or might have just played 8th grade. There have been years where they combined them depending on class size. We didn’t have to do that this year. 

Of the 40 plus kids in Middle School, one student, an 8th grader, transferred to Rusk. His folks weren’t happy. There was a 9th grader who also transferred. His folks had a beef with some non athletic-related school policy. Most everyone knows that a senior transferred after the 2020 season because the parent wasn’t happy with the position his kid was playing. That’s 3 kids out of 80+ kids. And believe me, I hated that those 3 kids left. They are great kids. It boils down to the parents doing what they feel is best for their kid. Make decisions with your kids’ best interest in mind. You only get one shot at it. Do what you need to do. Now if any of those kids want to come back, they will be welcome with open arms.

I know the Rusk folks have higher expectations for Alto. So do we. Congratulations on your winning season, the second one (2017 9-3, 2021 9-3) since 2006 (8-4) and for advancing to the second round for the 7th time in program history. I know y’all have a heck of an AD/HFC who is respected and well liked. I like that guy, too; he is doing a great job! AND you hired some awesome assistants with D1 kids to bring in. Congratulations on that, too! Glad it’s working out for you!

We’re gonna continue to work over here to get back to your high expectations! 😂  Looking forward to the future as we continue to honor our rich tradition. This should be a fun year with what we have returning.

All the best to Rusk!

9AD5713C-EB17-42C6-95CB-2938D7EF69D7.jpeg

💀💀💀😂

44 minutes ago, RipperRipper said:

Regardless of what coach lands the job, the kids at Alto always play the game with pride and heart for their school. No doubt the program will continue the tradition. Lots of respect from the Reservation. 

We love our brothers from Carlisle!

• Love 1

On 2/8/2022 at 12:33 PM, spudaroo said:

Looking at Alto's history why haven't the administration looked at the Keith Gardner era for ex assistances or former players who played on his teams and now are coaches for the AD/Head coach position? Keith was there from 2005-2013 and every team made the playoffs, 4 teams made the quarter finals, and two teams didn't lose a game and brought the only State Championships to Alto.  Just a thought.

Maybe Clint? Not sure where he’s at now last I heard was Tolar. 

On 2/8/2022 at 10:58 AM, StingEmALTO said:

It is hard to maintain year in and year out and if you look at recent history 2015 is the last big run for Alto. 2018 and 2019 were second round appearances. Besides schools like Carthage and Gilmer, most teams have these cycles. In East Texas 2A I’m trying to think of a program that has been consistently consistent. Probably the closest one is Tenaha. We have made the playoffs all those years, with the exception of 2020. Last district championship was 2019, but that was the 26th one, which is not bad. 40 seasons in the playoffs with the return in 2021. We’ll reach program win #600 with 2 more wins.

We did have a JV last year but the numbers were low and with Covid and injuries they ended up joining the Varsity for the remaining district games. That is an issue that needs to be addressed by the new coach. Our middle school numbers were up and we actually had a 7th AND 8th grade team. The 8th grade numbers were smaller than the 7th grade so some of those 7th graders did double duty or might have just played 8th grade. There have been years where they combined them depending on class size. We didn’t have to do that this year. 

Of the 35 plus kids in Middle School, one student, an 8th grader, transferred to Rusk. His folks weren’t happy. There was a 9th grader who also transferred. His folks had a beef with some non athletic-related school policy. Most everyone knows that a senior transferred after the 2020 season because the parent wasn’t happy with the position his kid was playing. That’s 3 kids out of 70+ kids. And believe me, I hated that those 3 kids left. They are great kids. It boils down to the parents doing what they feel is best for their kid. Make decisions with your kids’ best interest in mind. You only get one shot at it. Do what you need to do. Now if any of those kids want to come back, they will be welcome with open arms.

I know the Rusk folks have higher expectations for Alto. So do we. Congratulations on your winning season, the second one (2017 9-3, 2021 9-3) since 2006 (8-4) and for advancing to the second round for the 7th time in program history. I know y’all have a heck of an AD/HFC who is respected and well liked. I like that guy, too; he is doing a great job! AND you hired some awesome assistants with D1 kids to bring in. Congratulations on that, too! Glad it’s working out for you!

We’re gonna continue to work over here to get back to your high expectations! 😂  Looking forward to the future as we continue to honor our rich tradition. This should be a fun year with what we have returning.

All the best to Rusk!

9AD5713C-EB17-42C6-95CB-2938D7EF69D7.jpeg

Super classy post. Why does a Rusk fan think they can speak on program history and success? lol come on guy. Ya'll were a mess before Sitton showed up, for SEVERAL years. Sitton and new high school principal will have Rusk being perennial contenders, so sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/7/2022 at 11:33 AM, Destry said:

You know what happens when 2 trains are on the same track going the opposite ways?😜

There are actually 2 answers to this scenario... but your reference is likely for the more explosive, deadly one...

6 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

This may be in the thread somewhere. Does anyone know what happened to the former Alto coach?

Coach Gamble resigned Monday, February 7th. Not sure where he is headed but I spoke with him after he resigned and thanked him for everything.

That’s really all there is for me to say. I wish him and his family all the best in their next endeavor. 🙌

• Like 2

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Alto hires Brock Grigsby