Prayers needed in Alto

jacketgrad06

This hits hard! I'm still in shock from this news. When you're from a small community and a close knit community like Alto, it really hits hard. I had trouble going to sleep last night because didn't know which young man we had lost. Prayers, prayers, and many prayers for his family, friends, and the community. So so enjoyed watching him play football with all his brothers. He was dynamite on that football field, and played hard all four quarters. Hadn't seen him play basketball, but that was definitely the plan when I got that a chance to make a game. He had to be something to see on that court as well, and only wished I'd made one game now. Sting'Em, please let your son know I'm also praying for him.. God Bless y'all!

ย 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

We are devastated. We are numb. And we are broken. I was at the game tonight as my son is a teammate of the young man we lost. I sat in horror as I watched Vonte Mumphrey, sophomore at Alto HS, collapse on the floor. It was only the second period and Alto was leading 17-6 over Mount Enterprise. Vonte had already hit two 3s and made a couple layups. You see, Vonte is special. He was the District Newcomer of the Year for basketball his freshman year (2020) and then the District Newcomer of the Year for football this past fall as a sophomore. He was one of my sonโ€™s best friends. A teammate he had played with since Little Dribblers as kids. Vonte didnโ€™t play football his freshman year (he loves basketball more!) but my son talked him into it for sophomore yearโ€ฆ.in exchange my son agreed to continue to play basketball. ย He was a natural athlete (track star too!), one of the nicest and most polite young men you would ever meet. He was quiet and reserved and he loved to play basketball. And thatโ€™s just what he did tonight.

Hundreds of the Alto community showed up. The softball game was stopped and everyone gathered outside the gym, praying. A vigil was held among all the high school and middle school students with a huge circle of folks arm in arm praying for a miracle. It was not to be this night. We do not understand and will never understand. It brought back a flood of memories and opened the wounds from when we lost our Camโ€™ron Matthews on the football field in 2015. A town should not have to endure one loss, much less two. I am having a tough time wrapping my mind around that. To be present at both games and witness the unthinkable is crushing. I know we will get through this and I know that our community will rally around the Mumphrey family. I know God will use this, but MAN IS IT HARD.

Thank you to all those on Smoaky and beyond who have offered up thoughts and prayers. We need them.

This is the young man we lost tonight (#9) and my son (#21), who is just devastated. Please say an extra prayer for him and his teammates. You know a small schoolโ€ฆ..EVERYONE is family and everyone feels the loss. It will be tough to get though this.ย 

ย 

ABBF8A92-F32D-4B88-9F71-0452BBB4EEC9.jpeg

Our Prayers from Cushing and Garrison for this young man go out to his family, his team and and the Alto Community. ย 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

As an athletic trainer, this is my biggest fear come true for whoever is the 1st responder for Alto (major prayers for them as well.). We literally watch over the lives and safety of these young athletes, then something like this happens and the training, AED, and skills we work so hard to obtain and maintain were not enough. ย It hurts. ย My thoughts and prayers go to the entire Alto community and staff.

• Thanks 1

Obituary

Funeral services for Devonte Mumphrey, 15, of Alto, will be 1:00 p.m. Saturday, February 12, at the Rusk High School Gymnasium with Rev. Lionel Whitaker officiating. Burial will follow at the New Hope Cemetery in Alto. There will be a come and go visitation Friday from 1-6 PM at the funeral home in Alto. Devonte passed away Tuesday, February 8 in Alto. He was born August 8, 2006 in Jacksonville to Javonettie R. Mumphrey and Shameka D. Hackney Mumphrey. Devonte lived all his life in Alto and was a member of the Hilltop Baptist Church. He was a sophomore at Alto High School and excelled in Football, Basketball and Track. Devonte loved to rap and had his own โ€œhomemadeโ€ studio in his bedroom closet. He was an outstanding young man, highly thought of by all who knew him. Devonte was preceded in death by grandfatherโ€™s Jimmy Smith and Johnny Skinner, aunt Keisha Green and cousin Aโ€™Nyia Tyra. He is survived by his parents Javonettie and Shameka Mumphrey, brothers Javonettie Mumphrey Jr. and Alexander Jackson, sisters Destiny Mumphrey and Jasmin Mumphrey and many aunts, uncles, cousins and other relatives and friends.

https://www.allenfuneralservice.com/obituary/Devonte-Mumphrey

AC0A8E00-49A1-484A-AFB5-ABDB2FF5A64F.jpeg

• Love 1

On 2/9/2022 at 8:59 PM, MavGrad99 said:

As an athletic trainer, this is my biggest fear come true for whoever is the 1st responder for Alto (major prayers for them as well.). We literally watch over the lives and safety of these young athletes, then something like this happens and the training, AED, and skills we work so hard to obtain and maintain were not enough. ย It hurts. ย My thoughts and prayers go to the entire Alto community and staff.

No doubt about that, can not imagine being the athletic trainer,ย  coach or AD in a situation like that and a kids life is all of a sudden literally -ย  IN YOUR HANDS.

Not trying to spread rumor, but heard the AED on site had a dead battery, can anyone confirm this.

Such a sad situation and my heart goes out to the entire Alto community.

29 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

No doubt about that, can not imagine being the athletic trainer,ย  coach or AD in a situation like that and a kids life is all of a sudden literally -ย  IN YOUR HANDS.

Not trying to spread rumor, but heard the AED on site had a dead battery, can anyone confirm this.

Such a sad situation and my heart goes out to the entire Alto community.

That is not true about the AED. I am the one who got the AED and handed to the ones who were working the scene until the ambulance got there. It worked just fine. I had never seen one in action as I have not had the training. It is pretty amazing technology.ย 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

That is not true about the AED. I am the one who got the AED and handed to the ones who were working the scene until the ambulance got there. It worked just fine. I had never seen one in action as I have not had the training. It is pretty amazing technology.ย 

It's simple technology but its crazy how the machine basically does all of the work, you just have to push a button if it tells you to.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

It's simple technology but its crazy how the machine basically does all of the work, you just have to push a button if it tells you to.

Yes, the automated voice said EXACTLY what to do giving step-by-step simple instructions. I had never seen one work. Hope I never have to again. ๐Ÿ˜ข

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StingEmALTO said:

Thank you for clarifying, I apologize, was not trying to spread any disinformation. It is amazing technology.

Again, sorry for your loss and the communities loss, such a tragedy.

• Thanks 1