Discipline Issues - They're Real.

88YoePride

It starts at home.  We all know it.  The family unit in 2022, for many kids, is broken.  Kids are not receiving the correct upbringing.  

They are saying middle school, so are we talking about 8th graders?  I am not sure how Cy-Fair is set up.  So we are talking 13-14 year old boys?!  It's a sad commentary on where we are today.  

Thank the Lord there are a lot of good kids out there, so I don't want to turn this in to a rant about the younger generation.  Clearly, we have a lot of room for improvement in how we are raising our youth.

• Like 1

This is just sad. Reports said all he was doing was telling kids that they couldn't ride dirt bikes or 4wheelers on school property and it turned into that. I am not sure what is going on with kids these days but it needs to change and I am going to say it needs to start at HOME. The lack of respect for adults/teachers is going to force teachers out of the profession. Which would then force class sizes for the teachers that do stay to grow and all of the behavior issues in those classes to worsen. Things are only going to get worse instead of better.

• Thanks 1

Why would anybody want to teach or coach anymore? Coaches work 100 hours a week for 40-50k dollars just to be disrespected all day. That's why there is such a teacher shortage and why there will continue to be so until public education crumbles or has a huge turn around.   Like you guys said the home front is killing the discipline and manners which is really affecting schools and sports.  Its not the kids fault its the parents. However, it is what it is and teachers are getting the bad end of the deal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BEARDEDGOAT said:

Why would anybody want to teach or coach anymore? Coaches work 100 hours a week for 40-50k dollars just to be disrespected all day. That's why there is such a teacher shortage and why there will continue to be so until public education crumbles or has a huge turn around.   Like you guys said the home front is killing the discipline and manners which is really affecting schools and sports.  Its not the kids fault its the parents. However, it is what it is and teachers are getting the bad end of the deal.  

Not to mention TEA putting more and more on teachers, along with making it harder to get certified.  TEA needs to ask themselves a big question, WHY ARE TEACHERS LEAVING THE PROFESSION?  

8 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

Not to mention TEA putting more and more on teachers, along with making it harder to get certified.  TEA needs to ask themselves a big question, WHY ARE TEACHERS LEAVING THE PROFESSION?  

Add more test. Make the certification process longer. its all a money grab from the TEA

9 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

Tea needs to be unemployed.  Voucher system would be a great start

9 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

There are some who want Public schools to fail

It is a great untapped revenue stream is how they see it for private enterprise ie: vouchers 

Disagree.  It's money designated to educate our kids.  It should be used where parents and kids see fit,  not where teachers and politicians want.  

26 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

There are some who want Public schools to fail

It is a great untapped revenue stream is how they see it for private enterprise ie: vouchers 

Public schools have failed......it's multifaceted but nonetheless the American public school system will never recover 

• Thanks 1

Let adults retaliate and this #### won't happen again.  The moment he ran, is the moment he lost.  I would have gone to jail in a big heaping pile of 14 year old whoop ass if those kids attacked me.  

Never work in a school again?  #### schools if you have to stand there and let that happen.  

Dog cussed by a student and they are back in your class 3 days later?  #### that administration.  They should be forcefully removed by my hired hitmen in the Canadian Government.  

I swear to you, let one of these HS kids attack me.  My 250lb ### will walk again proud that I stood up for myself while being hauled off to jail.

However, there is an approach you can take to avoid a lot of this conflict.  As coaches, we always want to be the alpha bad ###... but with these insane kids, you can take a calmer more logical approach to avoid these situations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Let adults retaliate and this #### won't happen again.  The moment he ran, is the moment he lost.  I would have gone to jail in a big heaping pile of 14 year old whoop TobinFrost if those kids attacked me.  

Never work in a school again?  #### schools if you have to stand there and let that happen.  

Dog cussed by a student and they are back in your class 3 days later?  #### that administration.  They should be forcefully removed by my hired hitmen in the Canadian Government.  

I swear to you, let one of these HS kids attack me.  My 250lb ### will walk again proud that I stood up for myself while being hauled off to jail.

However, there is an approach you can take to avoid a lot of this conflict.  As coaches, we always want to be the alpha bad ###... but with these insane kids, you can take a calmer more logical approach to avoid these situations.

Self defense is self defense. There woulda been a at least 2 punk kids going to the dentist if it happened to me. If they wanna bring charges, so be it but I don’t see a jury anywhere that would convict for self defense even if they are kids, or at least I’d hope not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Self defense is self defense. There woulda been a at least 2 punk kids going to the dentist if it happened to me. If they wanna bring charges, so be it but I don’t see a jury anywhere that would convict for self defense even if they are kids, or at least I’d hope not. 

Quote me if I am wrong, but if you swing or violently attack a student, even in self defense, the TEA automatically suspends your license pending a review.  

27 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Quote me if I am wrong, but if you swing or violently attack a student, even in self defense, the TEA automatically suspends your license pending a review.  

That’s a sad day for teachers. That needs to be changed. If a jury finds not fault because of self defense, then you shouldn’t be punished by the school. I mean all I would have to do is watch the video, see that he attempts to leave the situation and then conclude that he had no other choice but to defend himself. 

42 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I think that would be fair as long as they are still paid.  I would agree that if a teacher puts hands on a student then a thorough investigation is warranted.  Had this teacher beat their face in, then his license should be reinstated following the investigation, and those thugs should never again set foot in a school.  

15 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Let God back in school, put the board back in the principal’s hand, bring back yes sir, no sir, yes mam, no mam, please, may I , and thank you. 
Students need to fear punishment and respect authority. If the student or there parents won’t allow it, kick their butts out of school. When I was young and got in trouble at school, it was much worse when I got home. 

Exactly. Most kids don't care if they get in trouble. Parents don't want to deal with them at home. At the school I work at, the kids would honestly rather be in ISS because they get to do what they want. They get to sit at computers and "do their work", which usually turns into playing games that aren't blocked or watching YouTube.

A lot of schools won't let coaches be the ISS teacher. They pay a paraprofessional to do it because it is cheaper to pay a para than a certified teacher. From my experience, it makes the discipline in ISS less so the kids don't care if they go there because it is like a free day to them. 

Another problem with the school I am at, AEP is full, so kids get in a fight or something in school then they no longer get sent to AEP, they only get sent to ISS. We have had more fights in school this year than the previous 3 years combined. Things are getting ridiculous. But what is there to stop them when they can't do anything more than go to ISS and play on a computer all day? No real consequences for their actions. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Disagree.  It's money designated to educate our kids.  It should be used where parents and kids see fit,  not where teachers and politicians want.  

Disagreement makes the world go around

Who will educate the ones that no one wants to have to deal with? The medically fragile the autistic etc 

Charter schools have shown to not be as successful as Public schools 

Fact is you have school choice you can choose where you live and choose public or private 

Private schools don't want taxpayer money for the most part because they do not want strings that come attached 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

Disagreement makes the world go around

Who will educate the ones that no one wants to have to deal with? The medically fragile the autistic etc 

Charter schools have shown to not be as successful as Public schools 

Fact is you have school choice you can choose where you live and choose public or private 

Private schools don't want taxpayer money for the most part because they do not want strings that come attached 

Who educates the fragile and autistic now? Why can't they continue to do so?

BS, some charter schools do suck, however they're are many that are out preforming public options. 

So if someone doesn't like the school that the government chose for them,  then they should move their entire family? Wow. Now that's some choice!

Private schools can do what they want to do.  Why do you think that so many public students would flock to private if it was financially feasible? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Who educates the fragile and autistic now? Why can't they continue to do so?

BS, some charter schools do suck, however they're are many that are out preforming public options. 

So if someone doesn't like the school that the government chose for them,  then they should move their entire family? Wow. Now that's some choice!

Private schools can do what they want to do.  Why do you think that so many public students would flock to private if it was financially feasible? 

Public schools educate everyone who comes to their door including the fragile autistic anyone that is who

I challenge you to show me some data on your charter school claims? Here is some of the research and facts

https://dianeravitch.net/2020/10/05/analysis-of-texas-charter-schools/

Private schools can choose to accept who they want. 

Do you really think they would accept special education students with severe disabilities?

Let me pick and choose who I let in and I can be great at whatever the game is or activity 

I am not here to say that public schools are perfect

Or that all public schools do not have areas to improve on 

I am just telling you there are some of those politicians that you mention get big campaign donations from some entities

To open this new revenue stream up to them so they can profit from it.