4A Girls Basketball Playoffs Oddity

regaleagle

The Region 2 Final is going on now: Brownsboro vs Lincoln.  I looked at some of the Brownsboro girls Recap clips on MaxPreps......that is a very impressive team.  IMO.....they are definitely a State Champ caliber team.  They have height across the lineup.....3 point shooters,  good defense, and rebounding inside.  With that height they will be a tough out for Lincoln today.  I predict Argyle vs Brownsboro in a Final Four game in San Antonio next week......that would be one heckuva game.

Argyle will come in with the best record at 37-0......but that means nothing in a one-game survival against very high quality opponents.  They will get the #1 Seed and play the #3 Seed is the way I think it works.  Fredericksburg and Boerne are both playing today in Region 4, and Hardin-Jefferson already defeated Burnet in Region 3 to punch their ticket.  I look for Hardin-Jefferson to get the #2 Seed.

Wow!!!  Fredericksburg was down 13 points starting the 4th quarter to Boerne......but scored 27 pts to Boerne's 13 in the 4th to win by one point in regulation......47-46.  What a comeback, Huh?  Kudos to a very determined Fred team for punching the final ticket to the Big Dance Final Four in Girls 4A Basketball this season.  Here is the Final Four:

Argyle(37-0)

Hardin-Jefferson(33-4)

Brownsboro(38-2)

Fredericksburg(34-3)

What a lineup of very good Class 4A Girls Basketball teams for the State Final Four!!  Maybe the best 4A Final Four EVER!!

I think Fredericksburg just proved how resilient they really can be when everything was on the line.  Coming back from a 13 point deficit in the final frame scoring 27 to defeat a great Boerne team while holding them to only 13 to win at the end by one point.....Holy Schamoly!!  Who would've thunk!  Next Friday it starts in San Antonio at the Alamodome at 1 pm.

Looking at the Boxscore of the Boerne/Fred Region 4 Final.....Boerne jumped out to a 16-2 lead at midway thru the 2nd qtr.  Then at halftime it was 23-14 as Fred cut it down a little.  At the end of the 3rd it was 33-20.  Boerne had led all the way.  The game ended up at 46-45 Fredericksburg......I am certain the Fred fans went beserko, and so did the players for the Fighting Billies.  What a scene that must have been.

Wow......according to an article in the Denton Record Chronicle.......it will be Argyle vs Hardin-Jefferson.  Hardin-Jefferson is the next highest-ranked team to Argyle......so maybe they are wrong!   Brownsboro has a better record though, so maybe they are going on won/loss records for the matchups......not most recent rankings.  

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

Wow......according to an article in the Denton Record Chronicle.......it will be Argyle vs Hardin-Jefferson.  Hardin-Jefferson is the next highest-ranked team to Argyle......so maybe they are wrong!   Brownsboro has a better record though, so maybe they are going on won/loss records for the matchups......not most recent rankings.  

But if that were the case(records), then Argyle should be matched up with Fredericksburg, not H-J.  Maybe it was done by coin flip, Huh?  Why don't they just come out and say ahead of time how the matchups will be determined.....instead of making everybody guess.

2 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Not that it matters which team plays which.  I'm of the opinion that the State Champ should be able to win regardless of who the opponent is.  But it seems like they keep changing up the way they determine these Final Four matchups.  I wish they would just come up with something and stay with  it  Who knows why they do what they do.....I don't even think they know why they do certain things, LOL.

BTW......Just to clear the air about the Canyon Lady Eagles Basketball history.  I looked it up.....they have won 20 State Titles in their basketball history:  11 in the old 3A classification, then 3 in the old 4A classification, then 3 in the present 4A classification(including last season), and finally 3 in the present 5A classification(2015, 2016, 2017).  

Wow.....that may be more than any other school in Texas Girls Basketball history!  That's alot for sure......and those are just the years they WON the title.......not made it to the Final or even the Final Four.  Amazing and dominant.  They did it in two separate classifications multiple times......being a "small" school in the larger 5A and old 4A classifications.

7 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Heck......Argyle has only been a high school for 19 yrs, and I don't even think they had a Girls Basketball team for those first few years.  I think I remember them with their first Lady Eagles team in 2004-5 school year.....but I could be a year off.

Yep......the Argyle Girls won in their first trip to State in 2006(3A),  then 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 in 4A. They made the Final Four 3 other times,  and 2 of those times lost in the Final.....the most recent in 2020 against Fairfield by one point in OT.  The other was against La Vega when the Lady Pirates had an undefeated season in 2014.  So they have 10 appearances counting this season in 17 seasons playing basketball at Argyle:2006, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2022.

11 hours ago, regaleagle said:

But if that were the case(records), then Argyle should be matched up with Fredericksburg, not H-J.  Maybe it was done by coin flip, Huh?  Why don't they just come out and say ahead of time how the matchups will be determined.....instead of making everybody guess.

HJ has the worst record with 4 losses.  Fredericksburg only has 3. it's how the seeding for all sports with a final four is done by the UIL.

Boys and Girls.  best record vs worst record (of the four)

2nd best vs 3rd best (win/loss record).

4 minutes ago, JasperDawg said:
11 hours ago, regaleagle said:

HJ has the worst record with 4 losses.  Fredericksburg only has 3. it's how the seeding for all sports with a final four is done by the UIL.

Boys and Girls.  best record vs worst record (of the four)

2nd best vs 3rd best (win/loss record).

That doesn't seem fair.  It should be #1 vs #3 and then #2 vs #4.  Who ever came up with that other method......that is not logical and penalizes the #4  while further aiding the #1.  What kind of thinking heads do we have out there anyway?   If you cannot see the error in this kind of thinking......then something is wrong.  Whatever happened to common sense???

Let's put it this way:  IF you want the playoffs.....any playoffs.....to be as fair to the final four teams as possible, then #1 vs #3 and #2 vs #4 is the fairest way possible.  There is no other way more fair that is possible......end of story. :nerd: 🤔 :rofl:   Geez!!  And these are our "educators"???

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

Let's put it this way:  IF you want the playoffs.....any playoffs.....to be as fair to the final four teams as possible, then #1 vs #3 and #2 vs #4 is the fairest way possible.  There is no other way more fair that is possible......end of story. :nerd: 🤔 :rofl:   Geez!!  And these are our "educators"???

1 seed in a district always plays the 4 seed from another district. Even in the bi-district round. With that being said if you are gonna be the state champ you beat who they put in front of you and your goal is to win every game until the final one. Go Bearettes! Bring home a state title!

3 hours ago, regaleagle said:

That doesn't seem fair.  It should be #1 vs #3 and then #2 vs #4.  Who ever came up with that other method......that is not logical and penalizes the #4  while further aiding the #1.  What kind of thinking heads do we have out there anyway?   If you cannot see the error in this kind of thinking......then something is wrong.  Whatever happened to common sense???

I guess the NCAA don't use common sense then. 

3 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Disagree,  how fair is it to #3 to play the 1 seed? 1v4 abs 2v3 is the most fair option