4A Girls Basketball Playoffs Oddity

regaleagle

7 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Let's put it this way:  IF you want the playoffs.....any playoffs.....to be as fair to the final four teams as possible, then #1 vs #3 and #2 vs #4 is the fairest way possible.  There is no other way more fair that is possible......end of story. :nerd: 🤔 :rofl:   Geez!!  And these are our "educators"???

how is it you are just now learning how the UIL has  handled playoffs for years? 

19 hours ago, regaleagle said:

But if that were the case(records), then Argyle should be matched up with Fredericksburg, not H-J.  Maybe it was done by coin flip, Huh?  Why don't they just come out and say ahead of time how the matchups will be determined.....instead of making everybody guess.

HJ has the worst record with 4 losses.  Fredericksburg only has 3. it's how the seeding for all sports with a final four is done by the UIL.

Boys and Girls.  best record vs worst record (of the four)

2nd best vs 3rd best (win/loss record).

5 hours ago, JasperDawg said:

@regeagle how is it you are just now learning how the UIL has  handled playoffs for years? 

Very few know that it is actually done by coin flip with the best two records guaranteed not to play each other in the semis.  

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

Very few know that it is actually done by coin flip with the best two records guaranteed not to play each other in the semis.  

Yup. I remember one year we went and I argued with half of local facebook about it. 

• Like 1

Heck.....I probably just never really gave it thought before.....that's the way it was done.  But now looking at it from a different slant for a change......I guess #1 gets the full advantage and #4 gets the least advantage.  Otherwise, # 3 would be left slighted vs #4???  Are they really?  I guess so.....but at this level it really should not matter. Winner advances off of one game.....lose and you are gone.  I think #2 would rather play #4 than #3, but #3 would rather play #2 than #1. So in this case, you favor #3 over #2......you cannot make it where any team is not at least slightly penalized.  So go figure.....

10 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Heck.....I probably just never really gave it thought before.....that's the way it was done.  But now looking at it from a different slant for a change......I guess #1 gets the full advantage and #4 gets the least advantage.  Otherwise, # 3 would be left slighted vs #4???  Are they really?  I guess so.....but at this level it really should not matter. Winner advances off of one game.....lose and you are gone.  I think #2 would rather play #4 than #3, but #3 would rather play #2 than #1. So in this case, you favor #3 over #2......you cannot make it where any team is not at least slightly penalized.  So go figure.....

I would still go #1 vs #3 and #2 vs #4......it simply seems to be the least penalizing for everybody.  #1 Should NOT get such a large advantage versus the other 3 teams.  By dropping all the way to the #4 seed in the Semifinal......that is effectively what you are doing.....giving #1 a marked advantage.  #4 is already at a somewhat disadvantage to start with.    So I go  back to this common sense theory.....because it is all theoretical anyway.  But I think it is less theoretical using common sense, LOL.

22 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I would still go #1 vs #3 and #2 vs #4......it simply seems to be the least penalizing for everybody.  #1 Should NOT get such a large advantage versus the other 3 teams.  By dropping all the way to the #4 seed in the Semifinal......that is effectively what you are doing.....giving #1 a marked advantage.  #4 is already at a somewhat disadvantage to start with.    So I go  back to this common sense theory.....because it is all theoretical anyway.  But I think it is less theoretical using common sense, LOL.

Just say your upset with having to play HJ lol

• LOL! 2

22 hours ago, regaleagle said:

We are talking about a tournament. The whole point of a tournament is to produce the best representative as champion. When a tournament is based on seeds (as the state playoffs are, hence your district seed mattering as far as to where you fall in the bracket) there is going to be a reward for being a better seed. That’s just the nature of tournaments, because again the goal of a tournament is to produce the best possible champion. And again, it’s not set up 1 v 4 and 2 v 3. It’s simply the two best records are guaranteed to not play each other in the semifinals.