Michigan basketball....Juwan Howard throws punch at assistant coach and brawl breaks out.

Sportsfanatic1

2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Nice week for J H - grabbing a ball on the court while it was live and getting a technical is minor compared to this. 
Will be interested to hear what Jalen Rose has to say about it on Jalen and Jacoby tomorrow. 

I hope they find out what that Wisconsin Assistant Coach said to those 2 Michigan players right before he got slapped/punched. It looked like he put his hands on one if not both of them.

• Like 1

Howard should be fired period. Not only did he throw a punch but his players started throwing punches after he did. Howard is supposed to be a leader/role model for these players. 

The Wisconsin coach should get a game or 2 for starting the altercation but Howard lost his mind and started a fight.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Howard should be fired period. Not only did he throw a punch but his players started throwing punches after he did. Howard is supposed to be a leader/role model for these players. 

The Wisconsin coach should get a game or 2 for starting the altercation but Howard lost his mind and started a fight.

People talk crap all of the time.  It could have ended with the yelling match and no one suspended and a minor fine on the coaches, but this idiot has to throw a punch.  He should be the one at least suspended for an extensive period of time at least, and max punishment fired.  The NCAA or B10 will need to step up and make this punishment harsh.  I doubt they will though

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Nice week for J H - grabbing a ball on the court while it was live and getting a technical is minor compared to this. 
Will be interested to hear what Jalen Rose has to say about it on Jalen and Jacoby tomorrow. 

I'm watching right now and agree 100% with what he's saying. Also ppl need to listen to what Seth Greenberg had to say today, he was spot on. 

6 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

I don’t agree at all with the argument that keeps being made that Garb instigated anything. I don’t agree at all with people arguing that Garb grabbed Howard either. 

Howard admitted that he yelled at Garb, “I’ll remember that.”. And what was it that he’ll remember exactly? Well, with 15 secs left, Garb called a timeout. Okay. Was the game over? No. Matter of fact, Howard still had his team full court pressing. So Howard’s team is allowed to keep playing in that instance, but Garb’s can’t? Nope, not how that works. 

So as they were approaching each other in the handshake line, Garb heard what Howard said. As such, he tried to stop him to explain the situation. For the people arguing, “you never put your hands on another man”. Please shut up. People put their hands on another person in effort to get their attention all the time. NOTHING Garb did when he put his hand on Howard’s arm was confrontational. Howard, however, being po’d because his team lost, acted immaturely. Even still, in this moment, no one is talking about this incident today, until what happens next. 

The moment Howard threw a punch (whether it was open or closed fisted is moot), everything changed. You are the coach. There is NO excuse for throwing a punch as a coach, and many coaches have been fired for far less. Howard absolutely should be fired. 

• Like 4

Michigan basketball's Juwan Howard suspended the rest of regular season; two players banned one game https://t.co/ufC8PXSdYz

Should actually say 3 players banned one game, 2 from Michigan, 1 from Wisconsin. $10K fine for the Wisconsin HC. 

Hefty fine also for Howard. 

I think all parties got off pretty lucky. 

4 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Michigan basketball's Juwan Howard suspended the rest of regular season; two players banned one game https://t.co/ufC8PXSdYz

Should actually say 3 players banned one game, 2 from Michigan, 1 from Wisconsin. $10K fine for the Wisconsin HC. 

Hefty fine also for Howard. 

I think all parties got off pretty lucky. 

That’s just a light pat on the ### from the NCAA to Howard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

That’s just a light pat on the ### from the NCAA to Howard

Not sure about NCAA in this situation, but I hope ppl really didn't actually think the Big Ten and Michigan were going to come together to suggest dismissal and then Michigan fire Howard if they didn't do it last year with the Mark Turgeon incident in which he threatened death to that man. 

😂 I think he can more than cover the $40K fine, he did get a really nice extension beginning of this season. 

Both sides in this situation better be thanking their lucky stars in their prayers tonight, could've been alot worse. 

I didn't watch the game, but when I found out that Howard was pissed at Gard for calling a timeout with 15 sec. left I thought "okay, yeah I get it." But then realized that Howard had his team full court pressing and Gard had his backups in. They couldn't get the ball past half court so he called a timeout to restart the 10 sec. count. Gard wanted to put his backups in a spot where they could get the ball past half court and run the clock out. If Howard is going to play his team to the whistle, Gard should be able to do the same thing.

Gard grabbing him to explain why he called a timeout may have been confrontational and a bit aggressive, but those making that an okay excuse for Howard to in return throw a punch is absolutely kidding themselves. Grow up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

I didn't watch the game, but when I found out that Howard was pissed at Gard for calling a timeout with 15 sec. left I thought "okay, yeah I get it." But then realized that Howard had his team full court pressing and Gard had his backups in. They couldn't get the ball past half court so he called a timeout to restart the 10 sec. count. Gard wanted to put his backups in a spot where they could get the ball past half court and run the clock out. If Howard is going to play his team to the whistle, Gard should be able to do the same thing.

Gard grabbing him to explain why he called a timeout may have been confrontational and a bit aggressive, but those making that an okay excuse for Howard to in return throw a punch is absolutely kidding themselves. Grow up.

Depends on a persons definition of grab. He merely put his hand on Howard's arm in an effort to stop him to explain the situation. Nothing about that was confrontational or aggressive. 

I agree with all the rest.

I remember during the 2009 NFL playoffs, the Cowboys were playing the Vikings. With 2 mins to go, the Vikes led 27-3. 24 point lead, with 2 mins to go in the game. The game was clearly out of reach. Did they take a knee to run out the clock? Nope. Did they call running plays to milk the clock? Nope? They threw another meaningless TD pass, making the final score 34-3. What did most everyone outside of Dallas say? 'If you don't want them to score again, stop them.'. 

Guess what didn't happen, however. No confrontation at midfield. No fists thrown by any coaches. 

Howard reacted simply because he was in his feelings. Get over it and handle the situation like a responsible adult. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Depends on a persons definition of grab. He merely put his hand on Howard's arm in an effort to stop him to explain the situation. Nothing about that was confrontational or aggressive. 

I agree with all the rest.

I mean grabbing in the sense of trying to stop him. I don't think it was confrontational or aggressive, but to some it may have looked that way initially. If people want to think that then fine, but Howard said "I'll remember that" walking through the handshake line which is what spurned Gard to stop him and attempt to explain why he called the timeout. I firmly believe he was trying to justify that, which he didn't have to do. Gard was just coaching his players the same way Howard was by having them press with 15 seconds left. Howard looks like a massive sore loser in this situation. Point blank.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I remember during the 2009 NFL playoffs, the Cowboys were playing the Vikings. With 2 mins to go, the Vikes led 27-3. 24 point lead, with 2 mins to go in the game. The game was clearly out of reach. Did they take a knee to run out the clock? Nope. Did they call running plays to milk the clock? Nope? They threw another meaningless TD pass, making the final score 34-3. What did most everyone outside of Dallas say? 'If you don't want them to score again, stop them.'. 

Guess what didn't happen, however. No confrontation at midfield. No fists thrown by any coaches. 

Howard reacted simply because he was in his feelings. Get over it and handle the situation like a responsible adult. 

Same thing when a batter pimps a homerun. Why do pitchers want to ear hole them? You're giving them a free base? As a pitcher I would want him to never reach first base again. 

When you let your emotions make decisions for you, you're showing that you don't have the maturity to rationalize your decision making.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 8:32 PM, MavGrad99 said:

NCAA should give him 10 games for throwing the first punch.

Punch? You calling that a punch. LOL. That wasn't even a full slap. If he had punched the skinny assistant, he would have been on the floor. No excuse for what he did, but if you put your hands on a grown man like that you better be prepared for more than a slap!!

8 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Punch? You calling that a punch. LOL. That wasn't even a full slap. If he had punched the skinny assistant, he would have been on the floor. No excuse for what he did, but if you put your hands on a grown man like that you better be prepared for more than a slap!!

He was actually trying to grab that dude, luckily he didn't. 

2 hours ago, eagle34 said:

The guy he swiped at didn’t touch him did he?