Electric Cars - Fire Sale

Hagar

6 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

That was the case with me. I drive an Accord Hybrid, and it came with a "patch kit". I actually bought a similar-looking aftermarket rim and had a tire mounted on it. I keep it in my trunk (it won't fit under the trunk like a tire usually does), so my trunk space is limited.

My daughter has a 2018 Honda Accord (not a hybrid). I should probably ask my SIL if it has a spare.

4 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

I think a lot of new cars these days come with a can of sealer (like fix-a-flat) and a compressor. I dont buy new cars...wifes car had 13,000 miles and mine had 35,000 when we got them...and the first thing I did with both is make sure they have a spare and everything I would need to change a flat. That sealer and compressor might be ok if you get a nail in a tire but will not do anything if you poke a hole the size of your thumb in it.

I heard back in the 80's to never use fix a flat, because it will seep to one part of the tire, and it sounds like it's going over a bump.  I never bought it.  If I had a flat I'd change it out.  These EV batteries have caught fire many times, and not just in a junk yard.  It seems to me though that they would want to recycle a battery before the put the car in a junkyard.  I know they will do that even if you take an old battery back in and you don't buy a new one.  I did that once when I found a car battery.  

On 5/10/2022 at 9:35 AM, Monte1076 said:

Here's an odd one for you. I have some old electronics here at my house. I'd like to recycle them, I really would, but the last time I called up a place to recycle them they told me there's a FEE (I think it was something like $25) per item to recycle them. Now, I'm not expecting to get paid for old electronics, but the fact that a place was charging a FEE to do so caught my by surprise.

So I still have the electronics here, collecting dust.

Some old electronics are worth some money, but you have to do some research to find which ones are.  10 Old and Outdated Electronic Devices That May Be Worth A Lot (moneyinc.com)