UPDATE: Spring Hill hires Shawn Copeland (AD) and Brandon Joslin (HFC)

Valhalla

53 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

You are totally entitled to your OPINION though.

1 hour ago, chubbychecker said:

Well I am not a reporter, I'm just a person that was in education for 35 years.  What do I know.....

We are all entitled to our opinions....and we can all be more than one thing...I'm a reporter, but I'm also an executive with a major bank and I've also consulted with multiple ISD's on their searches for head football coaches and count numerous superintendents and athletic directors as friends and people I can call to bend the ear of.....so I believe my opinion may be a bit more educated than what leads you to believe

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1
  • Wow 1

19 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

We are all entitled to our opinions....and we can all be more than one thing...I'm a reporter, but I'm also an executive with a major bank and I've also consulted with multiple ISD's on their searches for head football coaches and count numerous superintendents and athletic directors as friends and people I can call to bend the ear of.....so I believe my opinion may be a bit more educated than what leads you to believe

DO NOT cross the Stepp!!! That'll get you thrown out of Texas!

23 hours ago, MattStepp said:

I've been involved in coaching searches and in zero instances does it take 3-4 months to find a new HFC/AD...there's no excuse for that and reflects mismanagement and a lack of accountability inside of the district

That’s why we getting a new Superintendent ! They might not admit to it but that’s the reason there was no sense of urgency even When had the right hire ready to go.  Search is going more smooth now should have a name next week. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 2:33 PM, MattStepp said:

Nobody said your opinion isn't educated, that and all the people that you call friends doesn't make your OPINION any more fact than anyone else's. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 2/24/2022 at 2:25 PM, Golfingnut said:

I'd take Stepp's over 99.9% of most on here.

He does great service for Texas football without a doubt.  We're all very thankful for that.  But he does bother professional educators and coaches on some instances with his opinions. Again, don't get me wrong, he's a blessing on many things involving Texas football.  No doubt. 

• Wow 1

10 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

Nobody said your opinion isn't educated, that and all the people that you call friends doesn't make your OPINION any more fact than anyone else's. 

The comment "I'm not a reporter, just in education 35 years" indicated to me a bit of sarcasm and I took it as such. If that was not intended then my apologies.

11 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

He does great service for Texas football without a doubt.  We're all very thankful for that.  But he does bother professional educators and coaches on some instances with his opinions. Again, don't get me wrong, he's a blessing on many things involving Texas football.  No doubt. 

I can't really worry about bothering people with my opinions when I put on my reporter hat. Much like a Coach doesn't worry about bothering a few parents with his/her opinions on who gets playing time and who doesn't.

Can't make everyone happy, but as long as there is a mutual respect that I have a job to do and the Coach/Educator has a job to do, then we should be able to coexist as adults with that understanding.

And honestly if my opinion does bother someone that much they should reach out and chat about it with me. My door is always open

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MattStepp said:

The comment "I'm not a reporter, just in education 35 years" indicated to me a bit of sarcasm and I took it as such. If that was not intended then my apologies.

At my age everything is sarcasm.....hemorrhoids and too much beer will do that to you.  We do have a mutual appreciation for Whataburger though.  

• LOL! 1

26 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

I would be interested in hearing about a coaching search that lasted 3+ months that was considered a success...my guess is those are the exception and not the norm 

In my experience when a coaching job opens up the following needs to happen 

1) a candidate profile needs to be developed this should not take longer than one week, districts that are efficient and run well typically already have a list of candidates that they can proactively call

2) Post the job for two weeks...there's no reason for a closing date to be longer than two weeks on applying (exception would be around Spring Break when you might give an extra week). If people are waiting a month to apply are they REALLY that interested?

3) Interview process...this should be one week per round...and two rounds should be PLENTY...3-4 rounds of interviews is overkill..two rounds to conduct interviews is the standard and the interviews should wrap on a Thursday or Friday to give admin time to make a decision and make the call over the weekend.

4) Board approval depending on timing and the setup of the ISD a board meeting is likely required and if one isn't scheduled, try to get a special board meeting scheduled to approve the candidate within a week or two...maybe you wait 3 weeks if you can't get a special meeting called and you gotta hold until the next scheduled meeting.

So this timeline basically is roughly six-eight weeks depending on how quick you can get the board together etc..this is the timeline most districts I've worked with have used and many admin that are successful have tried to stick with..

Not having a HFC in place for longer than that is detrimental to an athletic program...kids need a leader in place and they need directions in off-season..having a lame duck staff in place too long can set a program back

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2022 at 8:29 AM, TrumpisDump said:

Job has to be posted for I believe 2 weeks (state law). Now whether they already have a guy in mind or not is to be determined. The hiring committee normally starts to together when they get word of the opening and then go from there as far as narrowing down candidates. 

I’m sure they will interview candidates, but not sure who from outside the current staff would want the job. Perhaps a young assistant somewhere looking for a head coach gig. My thoughts are they promote within, but not familiar with anyone on staff.

3 hours ago, SHillBuckeye said:

I’m sure they will interview candidates, but not sure who from outside the current staff would want the job. Perhaps a young assistant somewhere looking for a head coach gig. My thoughts are they promote within, but not familiar with anyone on staff.

I don’t think they will.  I think the new AD comes from the outside.

5 hours ago, SHillBuckeye said:

OC and HC have left. I would think outside hire as well

49 minutes ago, Destry said:

How do you correct a situation that y’all are discussing?

Define correct?  The incoming Jr & Sr classes have some talent.  Definitely enough for the right guy to come in and build from.  Need someone willing to stay for 4 years minimum to have a class in their program all years in HS.  Admin needs to allow him to bring some assistant coaches that he trusts.  Community needs to support him & the program and not expect SH to win state in 2022.  It’s going to take time.

Guest Tiger03lb
34 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Define correct?  The incoming Jr & Sr classes have some talent.  Definitely enough for the right guy to come in and build from.  Need someone willing to stay for 4 years minimum to have a class in their program all years in HS.  Admin needs to allow him to bring some assistant coaches that he trusts.  Community needs to support him & the program and not expect SH to win state in 2022.  It’s going to take time.

Agree with you on everything you said. You guys have some talent. The two times we played you guys, y'all played us pretty hard and even felt like the second match-up y'all had a good chance of beating us. Good luck in the search. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

Agree with you on everything you said. You guys have some talent. The two times we played you guys, y'all played us pretty hard and even felt like the second match-up y'all had a good chance of beating us. Good luck in the search. 

Being in the same district as Gilmer & PG is a blessing and a curse.  There are many here that would rather put the time & money towards the baseball program.  A little success and stability in the program would go a long way in helping that situation.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:46 PM, PantherNation2015 said:

There are many here that would rather put the time & money towards the baseball program.  A little success and stability in the program would go a long way in helping that situation.

sounds familiar. try a young assistant that wants to run the wing t, veer, option and  it might just work out.

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Spring Hill hires Shawn Copeland (AD) and Brandon Joslin (HFC)