UPDATE: Spring Hill hires Shawn Copeland (AD) and Brandon Joslin (HFC)

Valhalla

On 2/26/2022 at 3:59 PM, PantherNation2015 said:

Define correct?  The incoming Jr & Sr classes have some talent.  Definitely enough for the right guy to come in and build from.  Need someone willing to stay for 4 years minimum to have a class in their program all years in HS.  Admin needs to allow him to bring some assistant coaches that he trusts.  Community needs to support him & the program and not expect SH to win state in 2022.  It’s going to take time.

I want somebody to define “some talent”. Staying in games and playing hard does not define some talent.  Good kids, yes. Not so sure about talent.  If it was really talent, they would win some of those close games. And being a legit program in baseball does not translate to being able to win in football.  

22 minutes ago, BringBacktheVEER said:

I want somebody to define “some talent”. Staying in games and playing hard does not define some talent.  Good kids, yes. Not so sure about talent.  If it was really talent, they would win some of those close games. And being a legit program in baseball does not translate to being able to win in football.  

Holy double amen!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BringBacktheVEER said:

Parents and locals think every school has talent. They are blind to the truth, it's not about your talent. Its how your talents compares against other teams' talent

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BringBacktheVEER said:

I don’t think you are catching what I’m putting down.  There have been some players with roots from SH that transferred to other schools and have had significant success elsewhere.  Had an All-state WR last year.  Had some on the All-region team as well.  Outside of the coaching brain fart in the LE game, SH makes the playoffs as the 4th place team.  There is a good portion of the starting lineup on both sides returning next year.  QB can run and throw and is a multi-sport athlete.  Are they going to be Gilmer or PG in year one of the new regime - no.  But the right coach and support staff will not be starting from scratch.  What happens in year 2, 3 & 4 will depend on culture change.  That includes students/players, admin & community.  I agree 100% that baseball success has little to do with football success.  But you also have to be reasonable with expectations knowing that Gilmer, PG and Pitt are your district mates.

• Like 1

So let me get this straight. Spring Hill is open. Kerry Strong coaches there. And nobody has mentioned him as the front running for the job???? I don’t know what to think of the smoaky community right now. Big swing and a miss. 

• LOL! 1

6 minutes ago, centex1 said:

So let me get this straight. Spring Hill is open. Kerry Strong coaches there. And nobody has mentioned him as the front running for the job???? I don’t know what to think of the smoaky community right now. Big swing and a miss. 

You are correct.  I am speechless as well.

19 minutes ago, centex1 said:

I don't think he coaches. I believe he is over the driver's ed trailer. 

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, Jerryhawk111 said:

Parents and locals think every school has talent. They are blind to the truth, it's not about your talent. Its how your talents compares against other teams' talent

Something else parents don’t realize- sometimes a coach does his best job of coaching with inferior talent and goes 5-5

• Like 3

On 3/4/2022 at 12:12 PM, PantherNation2015 said:

I don’t think you are catching what I’m putting down.  There have been some players with roots from SH that transferred to other schools and have had significant success elsewhere.  Had an All-state WR last year.  Had some on the All-region team as well.  Outside of the coaching brain fart in the LE game, SH makes the playoffs as the 4th place team.  There is a good portion of the starting lineup on both sides returning next year.  QB can run and throw and is a multi-sport athlete.  Are they going to be Gilmer or PG in year one of the new regime - no.  But the right coach and support staff will not be starting from scratch.  What happens in year 2, 3 & 4 will depend on culture change.  That includes students/players, admin & community.  I agree 100% that baseball success has little to do with football success.  But you also have to be reasonable with expectations knowing that Gilmer, PG and Pitt are your district mates.

I totally get what you're saying.  It's tough.  But let me tell ya.  From the outside looking in, Spring Hill just can't get it right.  They had a good coach, and he leaves to go be a POSITION coach in a school the Spring Hill folk has always thought was less than.  What does that say for the culture of a district that continues to have the same problems professed here on this forum buy those of you who want them to succeed.  I just don't know.  I do know this.   The only ones being hurt by all of it are those who can't do anything about it.  And it's a shame.  

7 hours ago, BringBacktheVEER said:

I totally get what you're saying.  It's tough.  But let me tell ya.  From the outside looking in, Spring Hill just can't get it right.  They had a good coach, and he leaves to go be a POSITION coach in a school the Spring Hill folk has always thought was less than.  What does that say for the culture of a district that continues to have the same problems professed here on this forum buy those of you who want them to succeed.  I just don't know.  I do know this.   The only ones being hurt by all of it are those who can't do anything about it.  And it's a shame.  

It screams loud that change is needed.

7 hours ago, BringBacktheVEER said:

What if the guy didn’t like being in charge of it all and realized at the end of the day he just wants to be an O-line coach. Being AD/HC leads to a lot of headaches that you have to deal with that you don’t even create. 

It would be hard to pass up being the Gilmer O-line guy if that was his thought process. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

What if the guy didn’t like being in charge of it all and realized at the end of the day he just wants to be an O-line coach. Being AD/HC leads to a lot of headaches that you have to deal with that you don’t even create. 

It would be hard to pass up being the Gilmer O-line guy if that was his thought process. 

Or, maybe he thought, "I'm tired of having to put up with all of this BS around here.  Nobody can win with all this crap you have to deal with.  I'll go get me a job at a legit program and build up my resume".  I bet that's exactly what he was thinking.  But my wife thinks I'm an idiot, so I may be wrong.....

• LOL! 1

32 minutes ago, BringBacktheVEER said:

Or, maybe he thought, "I'm tired of having to put up with all of this BS around here.  Nobody can win with all this crap you have to deal with.  I'll go get me a job at a legit program and build up my resume".  I bet that's exactly what he was thinking.  But my wife thinks I'm an idiot, so I may be wrong.....

Wasn’t hard to get in the door when ur best friend is the OC. The word going around here in gilmer is that they didn’t even post the job just hired him 

58 minutes ago, BringBacktheVEER said:

I’d say Valhalla is closer to the truth based on what I have heard and what Griff has been quoted as saying in the media.  He actually struggled with the thought of going “backwards” in his career path.  Prayed a lot about it before taking the job.

Dear SHISD Board - I see you all discussed the possible action on restructuring the AD/Head Football Coach position in the Board Mtg last night.  If you really want to correct the cycle we have unfortunately been in over the last decade or so, splitting the responsibilities of the AD & HFC is not going to get it done.  Thanks from a concerned tax payer.

On 3/6/2022 at 5:29 PM, Sportsguru02 said:

Wasn’t hard to get in the door when ur best friend is the OC. The word going around here in gilmer is that they didn’t even post the job just hired him 

You won't find a better O-line coach. Weston is even better than Kurt. 

• LOL! 1

On 3/6/2022 at 4:46 PM, Valhalla said:

I was very pleased with Weston as athletic director but I would have done the same thing.

11 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Dear SHISD Board - I see you all discussed the possible action on restructuring the AD/Head Football Coach position in the Board Mtg last night.  If you really want to correct the cycle we have unfortunately been in over the last decade or so, splitting the responsibilities of the AD & HFC is not going to get it done.  Thanks from a concerned tax payer.

Well said

32 minutes ago, Acewell said:

You won't find a better O-line coach. Weston is even better than Kurt. 

I know one thing he better chill out coming in yelling at the kids and stuff when they don’t even know him. Several kids has already said like who do he think he is we don’t know him for him to come in yelling he’s comes from Spring Hill he’s not a winner lol not my words. 

29 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I know one thing he better chill out coming in yelling at the kids and stuff when they don’t even know him. Several kids has already said like who do he think he is we don’t know him for him to come in yelling he’s comes from Spring Hill he’s not a winner lol not my words. 

He is a good dude.  He will earn there trust soon enough.  I bet none of them will make that last statement in front Coach Metzel.  🤐

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Spring Hill hires Shawn Copeland (AD) and Brandon Joslin (HFC)